Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Food but not recipes

AndyinPA
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by AndyinPA »

:yeahthat:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Food but not recipes

Post by neonzx »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:14 pm
MN-Skeptic wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:02 pm I don't know if any of you are watching the current season of The Great British Baking Show on Netflix right now, but one part of this past week's episode was... interesting? Each show includes a technical challenge for the contestants. This week's technical challenge were s'mores.
When I heard the s'mores were supposed to be the technical challenge, I was sitting there wondering just how technical can that be? Even if you have to make the crackers from scratch, just how hard is it to then put on a half a Hershey bar and some beautifully browned marshmallows? Oi! Genache? No, no, no! You need that hard bite of the thick-and-starting-to-melt chocolate. And don't get me started on those monstrosities they stuck in the middle.

I think America, as a whole, should send them a very polite letter telling them to NEVER try doing one of our classic dishes again if they're not prepared to do it RIGHT! :oldlady:
I know, right? We Americans know what s'mores are. It's a campfire thing, not some gourmet delicacy. :rotflmao:
MN-Skeptic

Food but not recipes

Post by MN-Skeptic »

When I was reading those tweets about the smores, someone said that substituting a Reese's peanut butter cup for the hershey's chocolate was pretty good. I could see that.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Phoenix520 »

This is one of my favorite kitchen tools from Anchor Hocking. I keep breaking them, though. I need to get more. Measures up to a half cup in tsp, tbs, etc.
6C8F74FD-DCA9-4B85-8107-AB05C9D9D6FC.jpeg
6C8F74FD-DCA9-4B85-8107-AB05C9D9D6FC.jpeg (14.09 KiB) Viewed 691 times
Phoenix520
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Phoenix520 »

I will probably offend someone with this statement:

I despise the commercial fishing industry. Their waste is in creatures’ lives. They take way more than they need and they take too many things they don’t need with no thought.

I’d eat more fish except I feel this way.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Food but not recipes

Post by northland10 »

neonzx wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:01 pm
MN-Skeptic wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:02 pm I don't know if any of you are watching the current season of The Great British Baking Show on Netflix right now, but one part of this past week's episode was... interesting? Each show includes a technical challenge for the contestants. This week's technical challenge were s'mores.
When I heard the s'mores were supposed to be the technical challenge, I was sitting there wondering just how technical can that be? Even if you have to make the crackers from scratch, just how hard is it to then put on a half a Hershey bar and some beautifully browned marshmallows? Oi! Genache? No, no, no! You need that hard bite of the thick-and-starting-to-melt chocolate. And don't get me started on those monstrosities they stuck in the middle.

I think America, as a whole, should send them a very polite letter telling them to NEVER try doing one of our classic dishes again if they're not prepared to do it RIGHT! :oldlady:
I know, right? We Americans know what s'mores are. It's a campfire thing, not some gourmet delicacy. :rotflmao:
Americans need to tell them Brits, "You're killin' me Smalls."

You can jump forward to 17 seconds to see the S'more section (playback on this is site is not possible).

I made many a S'more around the campfire in my youth. We never had Genache. To be fair, I never did beautifully browned marshmallows. My preferred method was a flaming ball of sugar.
101010 :towel:
RVInit

Food but not recipes

Post by RVInit »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:15 pm I will probably offend someone with this statement:

I despise the commercial fishing industry. Their waste is in creatures’ lives. They take way more than they need and they take too many things they don’t need with no thought.

I’d eat more fish except I feel this way.
:yeahthat: There are more and more attempts to make fishing more sustainable, but they do quite a bit of damage. Including damaging fiber optic cable and other underwater infrastructure.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
AndyinPA
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by AndyinPA »

northland10 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:33 am
neonzx wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:01 pm

I think America, as a whole, should send them a very polite letter telling them to NEVER try doing one of our classic dishes again if they're not prepared to do it

I made many a S'more around the campfire in my youth. We never had Genache. To be fair, I never did beautifully browned marshmallows. My preferred method was a flaming ball of sugar.
:thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
humblescribe
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by humblescribe »

You're spot on, P520.

Like many industries, they don't have to pay for their collateral damages.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
MsDaisy
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by MsDaisy »

OMG, tears and snot are running…. I think they put too much hot sauce on the chicken burrito bowl I picked up from Chipotles on my way home from picking up my grandbrats from school and dumping them at home… I LOVE Chipotles! They even have Chipotles in London when we go to see the sister in law there, although the London portions are much less than the giant bowls they give Americans here where one portion can fill you up for three meals.. At least it does for me! :oldlady:
northland10

Food but not recipes

Post by northland10 »

Salad is usually meh for me but I just had an amazing one. The downside is that after this meal is over i will either need to take major loan or do the dishes for 2 months.

An 8oz filet and lobster tail is next.
neonzx

Food but not recipes

Post by neonzx »

northland10 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:46 pm Salad is usually meh for me but I just had an amazing one. The downside is that after this meal is over i will either need to take major loan or do the dishes for 2 months.

Salad is my weakness. I LUVs me Salad. Also, I eat salad the proper/original way -- after the entree, not before -- as the sky god chef intended. And no sugar desterty stuff -- ick.. It isn't food.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Kriselda Gray »

northland10 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:46 pm Salad is usually meh for me but I just had an amazing one. The downside is that after this meal is over i will either need to take major loan or do the dishes for 2 months.

Homemade or what restaurant?
northland10

Food but not recipes

Post by northland10 »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:02 pm

Definitely not homemade. I can do fine int the kitchen but not with salad. It is a local place called The Tavern in Libertyville, Illinois.

https://tavernlibertyville.com/

It was the Wedge salad.
neonzx

Food but not recipes

Post by neonzx »

northland10 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:07 pm
Kriselda Gray wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:02 pm

Definitely not homemade. I can do fine int the kitchen but not with salad. It is a local place called The Tavern in Libertyville, Illinois.

https://tavernlibertyville.com/

It was the Wedge salad.
At those prices, the dinner best be Amazing. :faint:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Wow! Everything there sounds yummy!
northland10

Food but not recipes

Post by northland10 »

neonzx wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:11 pm
At those prices, the dinner best be Amazing. :faint:
Yeah. I do something like this only once every few years. So far, it had been wonderful.
Gupwalla

Food but not recipes

Post by Gupwalla »

northland10 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:07 pm It was the Wedge salad.
I seem to recall that they also do a mean wedge salad down at Mar-a-Lago. (At least, according to the owner.)
northland10

Food but not recipes

Post by northland10 »

Gupwalla wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:27 pm
northland10 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:07 pm It was the Wedge salad.
I seem to recall that they also do a mean wedge salad down at Mar-a-Lago. (At least, according to the owner.)
This is the Wedge that I'm more used to (the name Wedge comes from the fugue theme at 6:27)

Volkonski
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by AndyinPA »

I saw the first frozen turkeys yesterday. They were $2.99/pound for the store brand.
northland10

Food but not recipes

Post by northland10 »

I would not recognize if the price of the turkey were high. I have never bought a full-size turkey before. I have only bought a smaller turkey breast which can be done in my slow cooker and is not too large for a single person staying home that year (and also turkey drumsticks to be done differently).

I don't entertain in my tiny apartment. It's byoc (bring your own chair), or maybe byoct (bring your own chair and turkey). You don't have to BYOB as I will always have usable beer, a few liquors for mixing, and in a crunch, I can find a good wine. I also have the right glass for beer/ale because I'm not a slob about those things. I am currently wearing one of my Beer Snob shirts. I probably would need to add a few extra glasses for various styles as I only have one or two for each style.
Volkonski
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Volkonski »

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Food but not recipes

Post by RTH10260 »

Return to “General Stuff”