Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Food but not recipes

Volkonski
Verified:

Re: Food but not recipes

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I was out today, and I saw avocados. I didn't buy any. What was I thinking? :o
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

If we can have plant-based butter, then I' 'm sure somebody could come up with some non-avocado avocado or at least avocado-free guacamole, maybe something with meat to balance the score.

Oh wait, there is already an avocado-free guac. Guacamole made with Edamame beans (or other substitutions).
101010 :towel:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

But I just like to peel and eat avocados!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
miss meh

Post by miss meh »

Damn, my go-to work-from-home lunch has become vegetarian tacos with mashed avocado replacing the meat.

I've had to substitute hummus this past week because the avos were $2 each, I thought it was the superbowl :crying:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

OMG, end of the world -- avocado shortage. WHAT TO DO??? :nooo: We are all going to die without the Quac.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

I guess I will need to do Thai for lunch then.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

:P
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Avocado wars!

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Been seeing ads on CNN that Stanley Tucci is coming back soon with more episodes from Italy. YUM!
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

I feel like a rube.

My idea of good Italian food almost always involves Chef Boyardee.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Gregg wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:58 am I feel like a rube.

:faint:

;)
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, tomato sauce is against my religion, so Italian is not a good fit. I haven't been in an Italian restaurant in a very, very long time.

Whereas, I can only go so long without some good Mexican. So it's clearly not a gourmet thing. I just don't like tomato sauce. :(
northland10

Post by northland10 »

Gregg wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:58 am I feel like a rube.

While it is not my definition of food Italian food, I will still have it from time to time (mainly one of the ravioli styles) It is not that I cannot get Italian food from a good restaurant, I do. It is not that I cannot make it myself, I do. It is not that is cheaper or simpler than buying something better at the store. I just like it.

I do spice it up a bit though.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Foggy wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:12 am Yeah, tomato sauce is against my religion, so Italian is not a good fit. I haven't been in an Italian restaurant in a very, very long time.

Whereas, I can only go so long without some good Mexican. So it's clearly not a gourmet thing. I just don't like tomato sauce. :(
There are all kinds of Italian cooking and Italian sauces that don't involve tomato sauce. I'm cheating though, I dated someone who was a real Italian cooking expert, so there is that. Many international restaurants cater to the American taste and don't offer a wide representation of the true native cooking. so YMMV as to whether you find this true for any particular Italian restaurant you may patronize. I have an excellent one within walking distance from my house so I was able to ditch the boyfriend and still get good Italian food. :thumbsup:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

RVInit wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:07 pm There are all kinds of Italian cooking and Italian sauces that don't involve tomato sauce.
That's very true, but not in American restaurants that are "Italian". If I am, on rare occasion, dragged into one of those, I can usually find a pizza with white sauce or a veal dish without tomato sauce. And I don't choke or gag or get hives or thrash about on the floor. I just generally don't like tomato sauce, so I try to avoid it. :nope:
BeastofBourbon

Post by BeastofBourbon »

Speaking of tomatoes, does anyone have any suggestions for making your own passata? I searched online and found a surprising number of different ways to do it. Last year I froze several quarts of my own version: throw cored and halved tomatoes in a large pot and simmer without stirring until they are broken down enough to pass thru a food mill, and freeze. I also ladled and discarded much of the clear juice off the top as the tomatoes broke down, since I wanted a more concentrated result. I'm sure there were flavor components in that clear juice, but I was hoping to cut down on cooking times by concentrating them.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Foggy poor fellow, you live too far from Brooklyn.

At our favorite Italian bistro on the North Fork you can get your choice of pasta with these no tomato sauces-

Alfredo
Carbonara
White clam
Olive oil oregano
White mussels
Wild mushroom
Anchovy
Shrimp scampi
Marsala
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I really enjoyed Tucci's series last year (or year before last?), where he went into the various regions of Italy and explored the regional foods. It was awesome, and I don't recall seeing a lot of red sauce at all. The promos showed so far are vary vague, just the title of Searching for Italy (so something like that). So, is he going back to Italy, or exploring Italian food elsewhere?
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

If I’m not mistaken, a whole lot of Mexican food involves red sauce. :confuzzled:
northland10

Post by northland10 »

With the exception of my Chef Boyardee fondness (and pizza), I tend to not have much that uses tomato based sauce for Italian food. Form cooking at home, there is a great many things you can do with some onions, garlic, olive oil, and pesto.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Not food exactly, but 4 blokes reviewing kitchen gadgets (UK) is rather entertaining:

Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

They've been our immediate neighbors since we were just a few British colonies, but nobody in this great land of ours could tell you about Canadian cuisine. :think:

No, poutine isn't a cuisine. Neither is Tim Hortons. You gotta have a range of foods that are native Canadian. You gotta have Canadian restaurants.

In this burg, we have Mexican restaurants, French restaurants, Italian restaurants, Thai eats (ancient Fogbow joke, sounds like Taitz), etc., etc.

But has anyone in the United States of America ever heard of a restaurant serving Canadian food? (Narrator: now somebody is going to post a link to the greatest Canadian food restaurant in Noo Yawk City.)
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Foggy wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:17 am They've been our immediate neighbors since we were just a few British colonies, but nobody in this great land of ours could tell you about Canadian cuisine. :think:

No, poutine isn't a cuisine. Neither is Tim Hortons. You gotta have a range of foods that are native Canadian. You gotta have Canadian restaurants.

In this burg, we have Mexican restaurants, French restaurants, Italian restaurants, Thai eats (ancient Fogbow joke, sounds like Taitz), etc., etc.

But has anyone in the United States of America ever heard of a restaurant serving Canadian food? (Narrator: now somebody is going to post a link to the greatest Canadian food restaurant in Noo Yawk City.)
About 25 years ago, there was a restaurant named "Canucks" in suburban Kansas City, KS, that served Canadian food. :mrgreen: I don't think it lasted very long, but it existed for a bit.

Return to “General Stuff”