Food but not recipes

Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Flatpoint High »

northland10 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:30 am Interesting article to read while having my morning brew of dark-roasted rat poop.

I remember reading something years ago about a beer company who changed their process that caused their grain to be used earlier and not sit around as long (in storage or possibly in the hoppers). It ended up changing the taste of the beer (apparently for the worse) because they had lost the added flavor of something that would grow in the stored grain.
ergot?
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Food but not recipes

Post by northland10 »

IIRC, it was some sort of fungi.
101010 :towel:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Food but not recipes

Post by RTH10260 »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by AndyinPA »

:biggrin:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260

Food but not recipes

Post by RTH10260 »

RTH10260

Food but not recipes

Post by RTH10260 »

Tik Tok craziness

Volkonski
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Volkonski »

Toxic Chemical Found In New York Breakfasts Infects At Least 80%

https://hudsonvalleypost.com/toxic-chem ... m=referral
A highly-toxic "little-known" chemical that's linked to infertility, delayed puberty, and altered fetal growth was detected in many people breakfast items. Former President Trump is being blamed

The Environmental Working Group (EWG) published a study on Thursday in the Journal of Exposure Science & Environmental Epidemiology regarding a little-known chemical that's found in some foods.

A new EWG peer-reviewed study has found chlormequat, was found in 80 percent of people tested.

"The groundbreaking analysis of chlormequat in the bodies of people in the U.S. rings alarm bells, because the chemical is linked to reproductive and developmental problems in animal studies, suggesting the potential for similar harm to humans," the EWG stated.

:snippity:

According to the report, researchers detected the chemical in 92 percent of oat-based foods purchased in May 2023. This includes Cheerios and Quaker Oats, according to the EWG.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260

Food but not recipes

Post by RTH10260 »

Hudson Valley Post wrote:"Environmental Protection Agency regulations allow the chemical to be used on ornamental plants only – not food crops – grown in the U.S. But its use is permitted on imported oats and other foods sold here. Many oats and oat products consumed in the U.S. come from Canada," the EWG stated in a press release.
Chlormequat alters a plant’s growth. This helps prevent it from bending over, which makes it easier to harvest, according to scientists.
Chlormequat wasn't allowed on oats sold in the U.S. until 2018. That's when President Donald Trump gave first-time approval for some amount of the chemical on imported oats.

Read More: Toxic Chemical Found In New York Breakfasts Infects At Least 80% | https://hudsonvalleypost.com/toxic-chem ... m=referral
... when farmers have no spine ...
John Thomas8

Food but not recipes

Post by John Thomas8 »

Do you have a Bripe?

AndyinPA
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by AndyinPA »

:confuzzled:

I guess it's basic coffee, but where's the cream?
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260

Food but not recipes

Post by RTH10260 »

Artisanal small business makes Japanese thin noodles.

i wonder how long the engineers took to devise the machinery until it worked to expectation.

RTH10260

Food but not recipes

Post by RTH10260 »

More from above YT channel, makes me take on weight by pure viewing

Kendra

Food but not recipes

Post by Kendra »

And they have the best ice cream (and cheese!!)

northland10

Food but not recipes

Post by northland10 »

RTH10260 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:41 am Artisanal small business makes Japanese thin noodles.

i wonder how long the engineers took to devise the machinery until it worked to expectation.

The early riser, who comes in at an amazingly early time of 3:40 am, does it because he kneads the dough.

Somebody had to say it.

Fascinating system and involves nothing but flour, water, salt, and a smidge of cottonseed oil.
Estiveo
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Estiveo »

Kendra wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:32 pm And they have the best ice cream (and cheese!!)

I highly recommend their Oregon Marionberry Cheesecake frozen custard if you can find it. It's a special batch thing, in pints only, so it comes & goes, but it'll ruin you for all other ice cream.
shopping.webp
shopping.webp (62.43 KiB) Viewed 267 times
Image Image Image Image
Kendra

Food but not recipes

Post by Kendra »

I will have to try that one if and when I can find it. They do make the best stuff.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by AndyinPA »

We just finished a container of the marionberry last night. Yummy. My favorite is the Oregon Dark Cherry.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Food but not recipes

Post by bill_g »

RTH10260 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:41 am Artisanal small business makes Japanese thin noodles.

https: //youtu.be/qQYIz1y307o?
That place is NOISY! And the people are part of the machinery. I cannot imagine hand wrapping every one of those 50g packs. OMG, I would be insane by the end of the first hour.
bill_g

Food but not recipes

Post by bill_g »

So, food, cooking for one. Mrs' personal diet (not one specified by a doctor or her condition) was diverse enough that we could share most meals. She didn't eat much. There were always leftovers, and I tended to eat the same thing three or four days in a row. After she passed I made a good faith effort to get through the bounty in the freezer and cupboards before anything else.*

After two months of that, it was time to explore the store, and see what I've been missing. First up was Rana prepacked meal products. I love them all. I haven't had a bad dish yet. Flavor, quantity, quality, and price are all top marks. I can easily get four to six servings from a $12 package. Serve with a salad, some bread, and a glass of wine, and I eat like royalty. There are some other Italian meals by other companies, but none hit all the notes like Rana.

Next was Asian food. Mrs was not a fan. So I've only had it at lunch when I'm at work. And by Asian I mean Teriyaki bowls, Pad Thai, Pho, Ramen bowls, etc. I have my goto Teriyaki place. There's no point trying to emulate his work at home. Pad Thai is a different matter, and that became my Holy Grail to find a Pad Thai meal kit. In general my results never rose above "it-wasn't-awful". Costco has the best so far. I came across Snapdragon brand Chicken Pad Thai, and it's growing on me.

You get two pouches of rice noodles, and two pouches of Pad Thai sauce with all the veggies and chicken ready to heat up. Drop a rice noodle bundle into a sauce pan, add a tablespoon or two of water, pour a sauce bag over it, put a lid on it, and set the stove to a medium low heat. Check on it every ten minutes or so. It will be ready in less than a half hour. You want it to lightly boil to get the noodles going. They will draw moisture from the sauce and the little bit of water you added. They are not good al dente. You want them sloppy. Wait for them to get opaque, and then it's ready to serve. $9 at Costco on sale, regularly $12. Makes four to six servings. Reheats in the microwave well. And because they package it in four pouches, it freezes** well. You don't have to serve it four days in a row. Have some tonight and tomorrow, and then eat the rest a month from now.

Enjoy!

* I have not had the courage to take on the 2yo 25# turkey. I'm afraid it will be thawed and composted later this summer.

** I do not freeze the dried rice noodles. I put those on the shelf until I thaw out the sauce bag.
northland10

Food but not recipes

Post by northland10 »

With lent comes walleye at Culver's. Yum.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by AndyinPA »

Yes, fish fry time of the year again. :thumbsup:

On the Costco foods, not too fond of the pad Thai or the papusas. I like to use Costco prepared foods occasionally, so I like to keep a few on hand, but I'm not having much luck with them recently. We did try the street tacos, and I enjoyed them more than I thought I would. It's two meals for my son and me.

I make good stuffed peppers, but not stuffed cabbage (too lazy to prep the cabbage properly). But I've found casserole recipes for both lately that are pretty good. I had to Hungarian-ize them, but I can do that easily.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Food but not recipes

Post by Maybenaut »

bill_g wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:12 pm
After two months of that, it was time to explore the store, and see what I've been missing. First up was Rana prepacked meal products. I love them all. I haven't had a bad dish yet. Flavor, quantity, quality, and price are all top marks. I can easily get four to six servings from a $12 package. Serve with a salad, some bread, and a glass of wine, and I eat like royalty. There are some other Italian meals by other companies, but none hit all the notes like Rana.
My husband loves those. I’m allergic - they all contain things I can’t eat. He also loves the Kirkland lasagna (can’t eat that either).

I bake all of our bread and dehydrate the heels and old bread (after picking off the mold :lol: ), and grind them up in the food processor. Most commercial breadcrumbs contain whey, so I make my own. I’ve been buying those large packages of raw chicken tenderloins at Costco. I bread them and cook them in the deep fryer. Because it’s messy and time-consuming, I do it all at once, put a few in the fridge and freeze the rest. After a long thaw in the fridge or a quick thaw in the microwave, I reheat them in the air fryer.

Mmmm… delicious!
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Food but not recipes

Post by neonzx »

Sorry, bill_g. I've tried Rana products and was not impressed. Sticking with Stouffer's.
bill_g

Food but not recipes

Post by bill_g »

Maybenaut wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:19 am
My husband loves those. I’m allergic - they all contain things I can’t eat. He also loves the Kirkland lasagna (can’t eat that either).

I bake all of our bread and dehydrate the heels and old bread (after picking off the mold :lol: ), and grind them up in the food processor. Most commercial breadcrumbs contain whey, so I make my own. I’ve been buying those large packages of raw chicken tenderloins at Costco. I bread them and cook them in the deep fryer. Because it’s messy and time-consuming, I do it all at once, put a few in the fridge and freeze the rest. After a long thaw in the fridge or a quick thaw in the microwave, I reheat them in the air fryer.

Mmmm… delicious!
I think you've talked about this before. Homemade bread goes stale quickly, and with just two people, you must be making small loaves several times a week (or bake & freeze several at a time). Fresh breadcrumbs and Costco chicken - I haven't had pan fried chicken in a while. Good idea.
bill_g

Food but not recipes

Post by bill_g »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:36 pm Yes, fish fry time of the year again. :thumbsup:

On the Costco foods, not too fond of the pad Thai or the papusas. I like to use Costco prepared foods occasionally, so I like to keep a few on hand, but I'm not having much luck with them recently. We did try the street tacos, and I enjoyed them more than I thought I would. It's two meals for my son and me.

I make good stuffed peppers, but not stuffed cabbage (too lazy to prep the cabbage properly). But I've found casserole recipes for both lately that are pretty good. I had to Hungarian-ize them, but I can do that easily.
There's another idea - cabbage rolls. Yeah, you do have to wilt the leaves so they cooperate. Mrs would actually eat those when I made them, but the boys and our neighbors always declined. I make a cooked spiced burger, rice, and veggie mix rolled up in wilted cabbage immersed in Campbells Tomato Soup, and finished in the oven. Sometimes I substitute jarred marinara. I like it. The super secret flavor bomb is to add some turnip or rutabaga to the veggies. It doesn't take much. I finely dice it and saute it with the trinity* before adding the rice** and water to boil. The cooked spiced meat gets folded in last. I roll them small - one or two bites. Pour the tomatoe sauce/soup over the top, and bake it until the soup bubbles.

* Trinity - celery, carrots, and onions, or sub green bell peppers for the carrots, or go wild and do all four. You can't go wrong with all four.

** I use Basmati or Jasmine rice. Not very sticky. Makes a crumbly roll.

Return to “General Stuff”