Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Food but not recipes

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Re: Food but not recipes

Post by Foggy »

There's a mistake between teaspoon and 1/3 cup, yesno? It should say 16, not 1, on the teaspoon side. Or am I reading it wrong?
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Too funny! :lol:
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Foggy wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:53 am There's a mistake between teaspoon and 1/3 cup, yesno? It should say 16, not 1, on the teaspoon side. Or am I reading it wrong?
You're reading it wrong.

1/3 cup = 5 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon

See the little + nestled into the middle of those two lines?
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

MsDaisy wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:01 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:18 pm 664DDB1C-96FF-41F9-B623-FC1DA64F328E.jpeg
:lol: I have never in my 65 years seen a recipe calling for 1/16 or 3/8 cup on anything that I can remember. Then again I don't remember quite as well as I use to. :oldlady:
I only know 1/16 cup as how much vermouth I often put in a Martini (0.5 oz). My mileage may vary.
101010 :towel:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Foggy wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:53 am There's a mistake between teaspoon and 1/3 cup, yesno? It should say 16, not 1, on the teaspoon side. Or am I reading it wrong?
It says 1/3 cup is 1 teaspoon and 5 tablespoons, that's the little plus sign in the angle. But yeah, if you convert the tablespoons (5) to teaspoons (15) and add the 1 teaspoon, that would be 16.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Ah, the little plus sign + in the arc of the dotted lines. Got it. :thumbsup:
Volkonski
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Volkonski »

Eggs and poultry will get more expensive.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Kendra

Food but not recipes

Post by Kendra »

For those who have a Trader Joes in the neighborhood, it's fall and time for everything pumpkin - I couldn't begin to list them all. That said, the Pumpkin Streusel cupcakes are to die for. Too rich for me to have more than one, but I'm bringing the other three to the lads at the office so they can gorge.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Food but not recipes

Post by Foggy »

Linda Ronstadt is 76. :lovestruck: She adopted two children in her 40s. Hay, your poor ol' rooster adopted two children in my 40s.

Anyway, apparently she doesn't cook, but that didn't stop her from publishing a cookbook with recipes from the Sonoran area.

Yeah, another gift link from the failing NY Times, I still have 8 this month.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Food but not recipes

Post by northland10 »

Kendra wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:44 pm For those who have a Trader Joes in the neighborhood, it's fall and time for everything pumpkin - I couldn't begin to list them all. That said, the Pumpkin Streusel cupcakes are to die for. Too rich for me to have more than one, but I'm bringing the other three to the lads at the office so they can gorge.
I'm partial to the pumpkin spice parking spots.
101010 :towel:
Volkonski
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Volkonski »

Oh my gourd!

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Volkonski »

Radio just reported that this year the Florida orange crop will be 30% below normal and the grapefruit crop will be 40% below normal. This is mostly due to Ian. :(
Volkonski
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Volkonski »

So much for the Deadliest Catch.

Volkonski
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Volkonski »

MsDaisy
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by MsDaisy »

:shock:

I couldn't imagine cracking that big buggar open. :faint:
Volkonski
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Volkonski »

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Food but not recipes

Post by neonzx »

That is horrible.

Oh, wait. I don't like crab -- nor any shell fish.

Carry on.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Food but not recipes

Post by Maybenaut »

neonzx wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:05 pm That is horrible.

Oh, wait. I don't like crab -- nor any shell fish.

Carry on.
I have a rule: I don’t eat anything with an exoskeleton. Or scales. Or that swims below the surface (ducks are OK).

But I spent two years in Alaska, and the fisher-folk there are the hardest working people ever. So I’m sad for them even if I never personally contributed to their livelihood.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Volkonski
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Volkonski »

:( Seems that my whole life the abundant seafood of my youth has been on the decline. The lobsters and long neck clams of LI and New England have moved north. Cod has become scare. Maine shrimp, cans of which used to fill supermarket shelves and my sandwiches are gone. Canned Maine sardines are gone. Haven't seen smelts in a market for decades.

Snow crab legs, the pale-pink centerpiece of any self-respecting seafood platter, are no longer on the menu.

They are the victim of a massive population crash that led Alaska to cancel its 2022 Bering Sea snow crab harvest for the first time in history. As fishery officials announced the closure of one of the state’s most lucrative harvests—the Alaskan snow crab industry is worth some $132 million a year—they said that the state’s snow crab population had dropped 87%, from 8 billion in 2018 to a billion last year. Further fishing could wipe out the population entirely.

Officials suggested that a combination of climate change and some kind of crustacean health crisis might be to blame—Alaska is the fastest warming state in the U.S.. They posited that the warming waters of the Bering Sea forced the cold-loving crustaceans into increasingly small pockets of frigid water, leaving them more susceptible to hunger, disease, and predation. But that’s only part of the story, says Wes Jones, the Fisheries, Research, and Development Director for the Norton Sound Economic Development Corporation, a private nonprofit organization that represents communities in the Bering Sea region and promotes fishing as an industry and livelihood. According to the marine biologists he works with, the most immediate cause of snow-crab death is one that even seasoned fishermen and scientists didn’t see coming: a mass cannibalism frenzy.

To understand what really happened in the icy depths of Alaska’s Bering Sea this year means going back to 2017, when fishermen started reporting an unprecedented population explosion of juvenile snow crabs—what is called, in crabber speak, a “recruit.” The population boom continued into 2018 and 2019, creating what Jones says was the largest recruitment event on record. Jones is something of a local piscine historian. He can quote fishery statistics going back 30 years in the same way a Red Sox fan might quote batting averages. At the time the young crabs were too small for a legal harvest—juvenile snow crabs take four to five years to mature—but there were enough of them for seasoned crabbers to start the count-down to huge hauls starting in 2022.

In the meantime, Bering Sea temperatures, which usually hover around freezing, were on the rise, spiking several degrees between 2017-2019. Unlike mammals, who use less energy when temperatures rise, cold-water fish and crustaceans speed up their metabolism. The faster the crabs grow and expend energy, the faster they have to replace it, says Jones. Some of the crabs may have headed north into cooler Russian waters, but most seem to have stayed put. “All of a sudden you had this huge number of little crabs coming up, eating themselves out of house and home,” says Jones. “Then the water warmed, which meant they had to eat more.” It was a double whammy, he says, and the results were inevitable for a hungry, omnivorous species that has run out of its usual food source: “They basically cannibalized each other.”
Volkonski
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Volkonski »

!00 brands of Maine sardines then. None now. :(

MN-Skeptic

Food but not recipes

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I don't know if any of you are watching the current season of The Great British Baking Show on Netflix right now, but one part of this past week's episode was... interesting? Each show includes a technical challenge for the contestants. This week's technical challenge were s'mores. The bakers are given a set of ingredients and a set of directions which aren't necessarily explicit. Their s'mores consisted of "digestive biscuits" made from scratch, chocolate ganache, and, apparently, an Italian meringue standing in as the marshmallow. The meringue was baked in a pan, then cut out with cookie cutter. Small blow torches were used on the assembled "s'mores" to give the "marshmallows" color. And, of course, the judges used spoons to eat these things.

Anyway, here's a tweet with a photo -

And a link to an article about the episode - ‘The Great British Baking Show’ Just Ruined S’mores For All of Us
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Kriselda Gray »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:02 pm I don't know if any of you are watching the current season of The Great British Baking Show on Netflix right now, but one part of this past week's episode was... interesting? Each show includes a technical challenge for the contestants. This week's technical challenge were s'mores.
When I heard the s'mores were supposed to be the technical challenge, I was sitting there wondering just how technical can that be? Even if you have to make the crackers from scratch, just how hard is it to then put on a half a Hershey bar and some beautifully browned marshmallows? Oi! Genache? No, no, no! You need that hard bite of the thick-and-starting-to-melt chocolate. And don't get me started on those monstrosities they stuck in the middle.

I think America, as a whole, should send them a very polite letter telling them to NEVER try doing one of our classic dishes again if they're not prepared to do it RIGHT! :oldlady:

Return to “General Stuff”