Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Food but not recipes

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Re: Food but not recipes

Post by RTH10260 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:58 am I love the gummy bear bratwurst! My sweet Uncle Buck taught me to eat dessert with the meal not at the end. :biggrin:
At my grandparents in the 1950s there were no deserts served. Except on Sunday. Then the cake would be served first as special treat. Only after that would one continue with the Sunday sweet bread, butter and jam.

ETA deserts like baked cake. Grandma would make chocolate or lemon cream under the week.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:39 am
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:58 am I love the gummy bear bratwurst! My sweet Uncle Buck taught me to eat dessert with the meal not at the end. :biggrin:
At my grandparents in the 1950s there were no deserts served. Except on Sunday. Then the cake would be served first as special treat. Only after that would one continue with the Sunday sweet bread, butter and jam.

ETA deserts like baked cake. Grandma would make chocolate or lemon cream under the week.
Growing up, I had a friend whose grandparents and aunts/uncles would make sandwiches in Saturday for Sunday meals because, no work on Sunday. I assume no cake making either.

Ah, the fun of Dutch Reformed West Michigan.
101010 :towel:
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

The only way I can eat bologna is "fried" and it is wonderful... otherwise, it's like eating a cold hotdog. (pink slime)

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:21 pm Here in Switzerland ...
Yes, yes, well in MY house, we are definitely huge fans of native foods from Switzerland.

Swiss cuisine, we call it. :biggrin:

These are genuine photos of actual food (noms) in my personal home, a/k/a Leghorn Acres.

For example, Swiss Granola, with genuine almonds, hazelnuts, and strawberries, the primary exports of Switzerland:

This stuff is actually pretty yummy, I eat it on a regular basis.

WHEREAS, at the opposite end of the healthy food spectrum, we have Swiss Rolls. OMG, take these back to Switzerland, por favor.

I don't know what the ingredients are, or what they taste like. I don't eat such things, but someone here obviously does or there wouldn't be a package on top of the fridge.

'Course, Swiss people live on these. These are in every Swiss home, I'm sure Eurobot can confirm. :rockon:

Couldn't find a topic about Switzerland itself, but food? Yassssss.
Edit: Notice the diversity, they have a white filling and a black filling. This is genuine Swiss chocolate, you betcha!
Out from under. :thumbsup:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

The Summer has been mild around here to say the least. That means the peas have been slow to develope. Usually they are long gone by the 4th of July. Not this year. They barely had pods on the 4th. As always, they tempt you with one a two pods ready to pick while the rest are far behind. But yesterday was the day. I picked dozens and dozens. After shelling, we had two cups of fresh peas for dinner last night. Lightly boiled in salted water, buttered and salted on the plate, OMG, nothing compares. You can't get this flavor out of a can or a frozen bag. It's like fresh corn. We pigged out on peas with some fresh cukes (unadorned, peeled, chunked), cheddar cheese, and fresh cracked wheat bread (store bought). Simple and delicious. We finished with fresh strawberries on yogurt.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Foggy wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:31 am

Edit: Notice the diversity, they have a white filling and a black filling. This is genuine Swiss chocolate, you betcha!
That's not black filling, that's the uncut end, covered in chocolate.
Mrich

Post by Mrich »

Once at work we were all supposed to bring a dessert or appetizer for a meeting/class/whatever. One of the young (male) engineers brought a box of Little Debbie brand Swiss Rolls and sliced them up. I, who had spent the evening before baking cookies, thought he was brilliant! :lol:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:14 am That's not black filling, that's the uncut end, covered in chocolate.
I shall have to examine the packaging more closely.

'Course, I'm sure that, just as using the word Swiss will persuade Americans to buy stuff that has absolutely no connection to Switzerland, the reverse is also true: I bet they sell American Granola and American Rolls in Switzerland, using products that are grown locally. :batting:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Off Topic
Mrich wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:28 pm ... Little Debbie brand Swiss Rolls
You haven't lived until you've heard Maybenaut play guitar and sing the wonders of Little Debbie. :lovestruck:
Edit: 'Course, part of the marketing is that nobody knows what Swiss food is. If you saw Italian Granola you'd expect spicy meat, mozzarella cheese, and tomato sauce. In granola? Yuck. :sick: But if you say Swiss Granola, people are gonna snap it up.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

I have not had a Little Debbie's Swiss Roll (or other Little Debbie's) in years. It is not that I don't like the swiss roll. The reason is that I like them too much and have no control around them. I avoid the aisle at the store, and if I must go down it, I avert my eyes. Sadly, between this post and the History Channel show "The Food that Built America" which had an episode on Little Debbie's and other snack cake companies, my control is getting weak. I am only one short block from a gas station/convenience store. Must resist.

What could be worse is a variation with a layer of jelly with the cream. Or even worserer.. Chocolate roulade with raspberry creme.

https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/chocol ... m/rnlmdet2
101010 :towel:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Am I right in thinking that Swiss Roll probably tastes a lot like a Hostess Cupcake?
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Phoenix520 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:39 am Am I right in thinking that Swiss Roll probably tastes a lot like a Hostess Cupcake?
Not as sweet and more paraffin in the chocolate.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I think this is only for Fogbowzers in the greater Seattle area, and until I get my first shipment next week, I can't rate, but wowza!

https://www.soundbitesdelivers.com/

I anxiously await my order of Duke's Chowders and some Pike Place Market crab cakes :waiting:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Yum! I will be there next week, but, alas, I won't be able to use that service.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Here in 'Stralia we got all kinds of foreign foods that ain't never been to a foreign land:

We got Virginia Ham that has never been anywhere outside of a paddock in Western Victoria.
We got Idaho Potatoes that have never been out of the field in Tasmania.
We got Atlantic Salmon that has never been out of Tasmanian aqua farm.

We also got Swiss Rolls that are filled with fruit jam not some pathetic imitation cream goo and they are (usually) made by a local baker, not a factory in Thailand or somewhere.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I was looking for a nice compliment for my crab cakes and came across Stonewall Kitchen options at my local Fred Meyer (Kroger). I chose the Lemon Herb Aioli and my, oh my, does that have some zest and perked everything up. Found them on Amazon, and they make all kinds of tasty looking stuff. I must get the jalapeno jelly to name a few. Jams. Yum!

https://www.stonewallkitchen.com/family ... nding.html
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:eek:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Cognitive decline linked to ultraprocessed food, study finds

By Sandee LaMotte, CNN
Updated 1639 GMT (0039 HKT) August 1, 2022

(CNN)Eating ultraprocessed foods for more than 20% of your daily calorie intake every day could set you on the road to cognitive decline, a new study revealed.

We all know eating ultraprocessed foods that make our lives easier -- such as prepackaged soups, sauces, frozen pizza and ready-to-eat meals -- isn't good for our health. Nor is gobbling up all the pleasure foods that we love so much: hot dogs, sausages, burgers, french fries, sodas, cookies, cakes, candies, doughnuts and ice cream, to name just a few.

Studies have found they can raise our risk of obesity, heart and circulation problems, diabetes and cancer. They may even shorten our lives.
Now, a new study has revealed eating more ultraprocessed foods may contribute to overall cognitive decline, including the areas of the brain involved in executive functioning -- the ability to process information and make decisions.

In fact, men and women who ate the most ultraprocessed foods had a 28% faster rate of global cognitive decline and a 25% faster rate of executive function decline compared with people who ate the least amount of overly processed food, the study found.

"While in need of further study and replication, the new results are quite compelling and emphasize the critical role for proper nutrition in preserving and promoting brain health and reducing risk for brain diseases as we get older," said Rudy Tanzi, professor of neurology at Harvard Medical School and director of the genetics and aging research unit at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston. He was not involved in the study.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/08/01/heal ... index.html
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

At least they are dinner size and delicious. We Texans will eat this invasive species to extinction. ;) Finally a crawfish that you don't need to eat 100 of to make a meal. :thumbsup:

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Look out Missouri! Texas is invading.
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

Mr. V. posted about Bucee's coming to Missouri.

Note the "ultra clean" bathrooms.

Jungle Jim's grocery in SW Ohio has very interesting bathrooms.
Actually they are more spacious than you might think.

p.s. Best Grocery in the Tristate.
Mrich

Post by Mrich »

Tennessee just got its first Buc-ee's in Crossville (close to Nashville). My cousins went there on their way here in July, and they brought me some fudge (yum) and Beaver Nuggets (tastes like carmel corn but made from puffed corn). They said there were over 100 gas pumps there! I've never heard of them before, but they are about to open a second one in Tennessee this fall on the I-40 exit to Sevierville (Dollywood exit).
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

There are many of them in Texas.

Return to “General Stuff”