Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Food but not recipes

Volkonski
Verified:

Re: Food but not recipes

Post by Volkonski »

Best canadian restaurant in New York, NY

https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=c ... York%2C+NY
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

:oopsy: busted
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Thirty five years ago I lived off the 18th street parkway in KCK, and at 16th and Central was a little 200 sq ft cube called "The Box Shop" that had the best state fair kind of food, corn dogs, pork tenderloin, fried twinkies.... I don't know if you could call it Canadian, but it sure reminded me of a lot of hockey rinks.
:blackeye:
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Texas oyster fisherman says he was forced out of work, so restaurant prices could be impacted

https://abc13.com/oyster-harvest-areas- ... ce=twitter
On Dec. 13, 2021, Texas Parks and Wildlife temporarily closed oyster-harvest areas in Galveston Bay, Matagorda Bay, and San Antonio Bay. The move, which the department said was due to a variety of environmental concerns, had a major impact on the oyster harvest season in Texas, which runs from Nov. 1 to April 30.

"It's devastating," said oyster fisherman John Jurisich, who started the Facebook group Save Texas Fishermen. "I've spent my whole life building this for my family."

:snippity:

The Jurisich family also owns Gilhooley's in San Leon.

"So far we have not raised the price," said Frances Jurisich, John's wife and the daughter of an oyster fisherman. "Even though we're seeing that we may have to."

Frances said the coming months are when things could get tougher for customers. They're currently sourcing most of their oysters from Louisiana, something they usually don't do while the Texas season is taking place. As a result, she's not sure how expensive or scarce oysters could become as the year progresses.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

cause I looked this up
HoustonChronicle wrote:TPWD has closed 21 of 27 oyster harvest areas across the state’s bays, and another is closed due to concerns about water quality. The agency says it has to halt fishing temporarily because there aren’t enough oysters that are big enough. The agency wants to give them time to grow so the reefs aren’t overworked or damaged.

That the agency has had to close so many isn’t normal — but it isn’t unprecedented either. The same number of reefs also were closed four years ago, according to TPWD. Heavy rainfall can be part of the problem because it changes the salinity of the water where the oysters live.

TPWD said its aim in oyster management is to balance the region’s ecological needs with the community’s economic concerns.

“Our goal is to find a balance between these roles by protecting ecosystems while allowing for sustainable fisheries and coastal communities to thrive,” an agency spokesperson said in a statement. “Our management strategies use the best available science to ensure Texas’ oyster populations remain healthy and viable into the future.”

in https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/h ... 924813.php
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Fritos shortage? In this Frito pie loving state I'm surprised there hasn't been rioting in the streets. ;)
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Food shortage? Must be that rumour about a TXexit ;)
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

I was in the kitchen all damn day today, first making the pie crust, and then making the crawfish. In the end I had a dozen single size servings of crawfish pies ready to go to the freezer.
Crawfish pie.jpg
Crawfish pie.jpg (67.83 KiB) Viewed 1048 times
:thumbsup:

..... Okay, 11 went to the freezer and I ate the other one for my dinner. Yum! :dance:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Yum!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

MsDaisy wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:26 pm I was in the kitchen all damn day today, first making the pie crust, and then making the crawfish. In the end I had a dozen single size servings of crawfish pies ready to go to the freezer.

Crawfish pie.jpg

..... Okay, 11 went to the freezer and I ate the other one for my dinner. Yum! :dance:
Are those pot pie sized aluminum pans!?!?! I cant find them anywhere around here.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

MsDaisy wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:26 pm I was in the kitchen all damn day today, first making the pie crust, and then making the crawfish. In the end I had a dozen single size servings of crawfish pies ready to go to the freezer.

Crawfish pie.jpg

Louisiana style!
I must admit I prefer the hand pies or top crust, but yours look fabulous.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:52 pm

Crawfish pie.jpg

Are those pot pie sized aluminum pans!?!?! I cant find them anywhere around here.
Yes, I was surprised to find them myself at Wegmans when I went there for the crawfish. There is a little shop on the other side of town that also sells them and I thought that was going to have to be my next stop. But you can also get them on Amazon

MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:56 am

Crawfish pie.jpg

Louisiana style!
I must admit I prefer the hand pies or top crust, but yours look fabulous.
I just top mine with a little seasoned breadcrumbs & butter
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Crawfish pie.jpg

Those look delicious. I was never much of a "foodie" until I moved to Louisiana. I learned to cook all the good stuff there, and made many a crawfish pie. And for anyone who is curious, Louisiana crawfish pie is never made with a top crust.

I also loved to make crawfish stew. The first time I made it I cleaned my own heads. After that I would throw away my heads and buy them already cleaned and then make the stew from our own crawfish meat. Cleaning crawfish heads is the kind of thing you only do once if at all possible, and I would highly recommend never doing it!
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

RVInit wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:17 pm

Crawfish pie.jpg

Those look delicious. I was never much of a "foodie" until I moved to Louisiana. I learned to cook all the good stuff there, and made many a crawfish pie. And for anyone who is curious, Louisiana crawfish pie is never made with a top crust.

I also loved to make crawfish stew. The first time I made it I cleaned my own heads. After that I would throw away my heads and buy them already cleaned and then make the stew from our own crawfish meat. Cleaning crawfish heads is the kind of thing you only do once if at all possible, and I would highly recommend never doing it!
I have an autographed copy of this cookbook. I took her cooking class when I was in Nawlins for Mardi Gras 20+ years ago. The crawfish pie recipe is in it. The piecrust recipe is Great Grandma’s, I think that's posted somewhere in the recipe’s thread.

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

MsDaisy wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:37 pm
RVInit wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:17 pm

Crawfish pie.jpg

I have an autographed copy of this cookbook. I took her cooking class when I was in Nawlins for Mardi Gras 20+ years ago. The crawfish pie recipe is in it. The piecrust recipe is Great Grandma’s, I think that's posted somewhere in the recipe’s thread.

That is so cool! I never took a formal cooking class of any kind, I just learned from friends I made while living there. My favorite cookbook is one of Paul Prudhomme's. I make the potato salad recipe, and once I made my own mayonnaise that is what I prefer. I've gotten a little bit lazy and lately I have store bought mayo in my fridge, but generally I like to make my own. There is a recipe for it in this book as well. I will have to check out the book you posted! It's definitely a better price than some of the Cajun/Creole cookbooks I already own. :lol: Thanks for posting that.

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I’m making tuna briks tonight with lentil soup. I finally found the Paula Wolfert cookbook I’d tucked the recipe into. Not happy with phyllo dough, as I was taught, one night I used an egg roll wrapper instead. I prefer that now.

There was a restaurant in Pasadena, walking distance to CalTech, called the Casbah Cafe. It was in the back half of an old wood frame house and was owned by 7 women who had, separately, lived in Morocco at one time. The tables were old cable spools covered with fabulous cloth. There were gorgeous rugs and giant pillows to sit on. The menu was teeny but hearty. I ate there a lot.

When they decided to move on to other things they had a week of classes. We learned to make Turkish coffee, pita bread, yogurt, brined chicken. Mmmmm. I used to love to watch the pita puff up in the oven.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

You can't beat Cajun, great stuff! My only problem is that I have a pretty small stomach that can never hold nearly what my eyes want to eat! :lol: Whenever we go to London (Mr.D's family is there) we also travel down to Devon where he went to school and get together with his old mates and their wives for a nice pub dinner. They always tease me and say I don't actually eat, that I'm just a grazer whenever we go to dinner. :lol: But a regular order of fish & chips in an English pub is literally enough food for 3 people!

Speaking of London.. We're leaving to go there next Wednesday! :biggrin:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Bon Voyage! Have a great trip.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Notaperson

Post by Notaperson »

RVInit wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:07 pm There are all kinds of Italian cooking and Italian sauces that don't involve tomato sauce.
That black mess shown here is ravioli stuffed with ricotta cheese, smothered with a sauce made from squid ink. And you can see that they provided extra ricotta cheese on the side, all of which went on top. This was several years ago in Syracuse, Sicily, and it was probably the best pasta dish I've ever had.

I'm returning to Italy for the first time in three years on Tuesday. I'll post a pic if I happen to eat well while there. 8-)

black squid.jpg
black squid.jpg (254.27 KiB) Viewed 876 times
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

What does squid ink taste like? I have no frame of reference for that sauce. :lol:
Notaperson

Post by Notaperson »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:01 pm What does squid ink taste like? I have no frame of reference for that sauce. :lol:
Hard to describe, but it definitely does not taste like tomato sauce. Also, it's been years, but I seem to recall it having a slightly sweet taste. It wasn't a strong taste though.

Return to “General Stuff”