Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Food but not recipes

northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Food but not recipes

Post by northland10 »

AndyinPA wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:39 pm
northland10 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:47 pm Do I care how hot dogs are made? Not really, as long as they have yellow mustard, onions, green pickle relish, tomatoes, a pickle spear, sport peppers, celery salt, a poppy seed bun, and absolutely NO KETCHUP. I think they are officially supposed to be an all-beef dog, but if it tastes like all-beef, well then, I'm good.
Chicago dog?
Yep.
101010 :towel:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by AndyinPA »

northland10 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:48 pm
northland10 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:47 pm Do I care how hot dogs are made? Not really, as long as they have yellow mustard, onions, green pickle relish, tomatoes, a pickle spear, sport peppers, celery salt, a poppy seed bun, and absolutely NO KETCHUP. I think they are officially supposed to be an all-beef dog, but if it tastes like all-beef, well then, I'm good.
Chicago dog?
Yep.
Yum!

I once stood in line behind a woman who ordered a Chicago dog with only onions, relish, and yellow mustard. :lol:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Food but not recipes

Post by neonzx »

AndyinPA wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:51 pm
Chicago dog?
Yep.
Yum!

I once stood in line behind a woman who ordered a Chicago dog with only onions, relish, and yellow mustard. :lol:
I think ketchup on a hotdog is some Cardinal sin. What are some folks thinking?

I don't think I use ketchup directly on anything. Maybe baking meatloaf. And making home blended bbq sauce.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Food but not recipes

Post by Frater I*I »

northland10 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:47 pm
Do I care how hot dogs are made? Not really, as long as they have yellow mustard, onions, green pickle relish, tomatoes, a pickle spear, sport peppers, celery salt, a poppy seed bun, and absolutely NO KETCHUP. I think they are officially supposed to be an all-beef dog, but if it tastes like all-beef, well then, I'm good.
This is heresy right here, what goes on a hot dog is chili, cheese, onions and mustard :fingerwag:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Chicago dog?
Yep.
Oh dear! Of course, my preferred hot dog is one of those hot dogs that's got little chunks of cheese studded throughout it, topped with a small drizzle of ketchup and even less yellow mustard - bun optional. They're really good when sliced into discs and lightly fried in a skillet with the k&m on the side as a dip.

I have those when I'm feeling adventurous.
Volkonski
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Volkonski »

Sauerkraut and North Fork style Vidalia onion relish. :biggrin:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
MN-Skeptic

Food but not recipes

Post by MN-Skeptic »

From Feb 2016 Former Fogbow - The ketchup on hot dogs thread.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Food but not recipes

Post by bill_g »

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Food but not recipes

Post by Foggy »

I would go on date night with neonzx. He knows the most interesting people down there in Hotter'n Hell.

'Course, he has to bring a bunch of his friends to the date night. This is gonna be lit!

:mbounce:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
neonzx

Food but not recipes

Post by neonzx »

Foggy wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:21 am I would go on date night with neonzx. He knows the most interesting people down there in Hotter'n Hell.

'Course, he has to bring a bunch of his friends to the date night. This is gonna be lit!
I don't believe you were invited to my date night. And you don't really know me enough but I would not bring a bunch of people. I am at core an introvert, even when I don't play one on the intertubes. Plus, too also, you would be so bored with me that I'd likely be BANished to wait in the car until you and others finished partying.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Food but not recipes

Post by Foggy »

Well, I'm just saying I wouldn't turn down an invitation on account of some weird foods.

But you're right, I've never been an introvert, so we come from different places. I had a good conversation with our waitress at the pizza place last night - her name is Emma and she's an interesting lady. Ol' Wifehorn and Numbah One Son were the :roll: all over the place, but I talk to everyone I meet, if I can. Earthlings are just so fascinating, I could watch 'em all day long! :batting:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by AndyinPA »

We used to say my dad would talk to a door.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Mrich

Food but not recipes

Post by Mrich »

When I was working, I used to travel to Mexico a couple times a year, to our plant in Cosoleacaque (in Veracruz). They had a little cafeteria where they contracted out lunch prep. I'll never forget the constant pounding of this little woman who was handmaking tortillas. She could probably arm wrestle The Rock.

Anyway, the food was inexpensive - something like $3 for a full meal - soup, entree, dessert, a drink, and all the tortillas you wanted. They usually had 2 entrees and you could ask for half servings of the 2, which I often did because I wanted to try everything.

One day the soup was a thin milky broth with chewy hunks of meat. I mean, chewy like a sponge. I asked "what is this soup" and the people I worked with told me "try it and then we'll let you know." Not encouraging, but I figured it wouldn't kill me anyway, so I finished it up. Then they told me: Cow udder soup.

So that's probably the weirdest thing I've eaten. (besides being blissfully unaware of what's in sausages and hot dogs.)
neonzx

Food but not recipes

Post by neonzx »

Foggy wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:32 pm Well, I'm just saying I wouldn't turn down an invitation on account of some weird foods.

But you're right, I've never been an introvert, so we come from different places. I had a good conversation with our waitress at the pizza place last night - her name is Emma and she's an interesting lady. Ol' Wifehorn and Numbah One Son were the :roll: all over the place, but I talk to everyone I meet, if I can. Earthlings are just so fascinating, I could watch 'em all day long! :batting:
Oh my dear boss,

Speaking as being a former food service/hospitality worker. If your wife and Numbah One son are giving you the eye-roll clues, it means you are getting out of line. You were likely not Emma's only customer and she had things to do on her shift besides having you bend her ear and be besties. There is line, ya know?

I hope you left a good tip$.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Food but not recipes

Post by Foggy »

I left a good tip, I always do, but she wasn't that bizzy and that's not why my wife and son roll their eyes, as they explicitly explained immediately after she left. They are allegedly grownups, but their mommas taught them not to talk to strangers, so they don't like to chat with other Earthlings they don't know, or even want to know.

Whereas, the truth is, there are amazing and utterly fascinating, great people wherever you go. Also assholes, you gotta be discriminating. But if you don't talk to strangers, you are going to be right there with some incredibly amazing and utterly fascinating, great people, but you will never know it or learn anything new from them or about them. You will have missed the bus, and I didn't even have to throw you under it. No, not you specifically, neonzx. All that stuff was like last year or sumpin', you know I still love you and all my Floriduh peeps. ❤️

My momma taught me not to talk to strangers too also, but I discarded many of her bits of advice when I left home and became a hippie in San Francisco for the rest of my life. Until I left there too.

I talk to bank tellers. People who are filling their car up while I'm on the other side of the pump. People who are stuck in line with me. You never know when you're going to meet someone who just leaves you gaping in wonder, their story is that amazing. If you don't talk to strangers, IMHO, you are living life in a different, and much smaller world than those of us who talk to each other.

Ol' Wifehorn and Numbah One Son aren't allergic to people, and they do talk to them once I get them started. But there are still times when they roll their eyes: "Oh, god, Foggy is yammering nonsense at another waitress, maybe she doesn't want to know about shoulder surgery, ya think?"

But her eyes lit up, and her dad had shoulder surgery, and she was excited to talk about it, and she mentioned shoulder surgery pillows, less than an hour before I read on Fogbow that Phoenix520 recommended shoulder surgery pillows. I had never heard of this thing, but I learned it because I talk to waitresses. Not everything I do is brimful of wisdom, but talking to strangers is a wise practice.

So the heck with those who would roll their eyes because I start yammering at a waitress. They are living in their shrunken little world, and I am not. :fingerwag:
neonzx

Food but not recipes

Post by neonzx »

Well, there is an old saying that goes something like -- the only stranger is one you haven't met yet. After they are no longer a stranger.

But leave your waitress alone. :mrgreen:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Food but not recipes

Post by Foggy »

Absolutely not. :taunt:
neonzx

Food but not recipes

Post by neonzx »

Return from threadjack.

What's for dinner?
Foggy
Dick Tater

Food but not recipes

Post by Foggy »

I have not yet been informed. :mrgreen:
Kendra

Food but not recipes

Post by Kendra »

https://www.cnn.com/shows/eva-longoria- ... for-mexico

CNN is showing clips for this new show. Looks like fun.
Volkonski
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Volkonski »

New York Times

Facing an alarming decline of fish stocks, officials are expected to shut down all commercial and recreational salmon fishing off California for 2023 starting this week. Much will be canceled off neighboring Oregon, too.

https://nyti.ms/40Xs2PK https://mas.to/@cnexnews/110136078036545145
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
jemcanada2

Food but not recipes

Post by jemcanada2 »

I approve of them being together. :batting: :batting:
Attachments
4E19708C-D873-49CB-9987-A0F03AE45263.jpeg
4E19708C-D873-49CB-9987-A0F03AE45263.jpeg (54.4 KiB) Viewed 1656 times
Gregg

Food but not recipes

Post by Gregg »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:04 pm
MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:40 pm
RTH10260 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:38 pm That's what I do not understand from accross the Great Pond. What's wrong about the menu?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watermelon_stereotype
See also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fried_chi ... stereotype

Basically, fried chicken and watermelons are stereotypically associated with Blacks as they're the kind of simple, cheap food that was fed to slaves. The stereotype was that because Blacks loved them, they were simple too, along with an implication that they'd enjoyed being slaves because they got to eat these favorite foods.

Slaves were fed fish, usually a barrel of picked herring was provided periodically and they supplemented this with stuff grown in small plots or from food not fit for market. If a plantation gave much more it was still something of convenience to the farm and not because anyone enjoyed it. Cooking was something most slaves didn't have much time for, to be honest.

As to Fried Chicken, I knew some of this, and when I started Googling to write this about it, I found some sources.
Fried Chicken became a staple of African American diets because it could be prepared and taken along, in the early 20th Century black families would take it on bus trips where they would not be allowed to eat in the restaurants the bus stopped at in the south. It also didn't require utensils.
Schmidt said that like watermelon, that other food that's been a mainstay in racist depictions of blacks, chicken was also a good vehicle for racism because of the way people eat it. (According to government stats, blacks are underrepresented among watermelon consumers.) "It's a food you eat with your hands, and therefore it's dirty," Schmidt said. "Table manners are a way of determining who is worthy of respect or not."

In Williams-Forson’s book, she explores the historical conditions that led to stereotypes associated with Black food, and the faces in which Black people, particularly Black women, existed and thrived in spite of them. She recounts the significance of shoebox lunches, meals that often included a piece of fried chicken that Black Americans could enjoy in the safety of their cars while traveling through the Jim Crow South. Cooking fried chicken as a vehicle for social and economic empowerment, Williams-Forson says, has continued in modern lives of Black folks, as have the negative connotations associated with it.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by AndyinPA »

Then there was the Green Book, which allowed Blacks to determine safe places to stay.

Fried chicken? My favorite food as a kid. My mom made the best. I was a skinny nothing and would eat a dozen pieces, preferably legs and thighs. With potato salad.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Food but not recipes

Post by northland10 »

Now I want fried chicken and potato salad.
101010 :towel:

Return to “General Stuff”