Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Food but not recipes

Patagoniagirl

Food but not recipes

Post by Patagoniagirl »

What a Sweet tradition. Not sure I ever associated the cookie table with weddings because I know no NW OH get together that does not include cookies!
Volkonski
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Volkonski »

U.S. court says French, Swiss groups cannot restrict 'gruyere' cheese label

https://www.reuters.com/legal/us-court- ... ce=twitter
The name "gruyere" can be used to label cheeses from outside of the Gruyère region of Switzerland and France, a U.S. appeals court said on Friday, in a victory for U.S. dairy groups and others.

The Richmond, Virginia-based 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals upheld a U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) ruling that "gruyere" can legally be used to describe cheese regardless of where it was made.

The USPTO rejected a bid by two groups representing cheese producers from Switzerland and France for a mark that would restrict the use of "gruyere" to cheese from Gruyère itself.

The groups said in a statement that they were disappointed by the decision and would continue to "pursue vigorously" their efforts to protect the name.

U.S. Dairy Export Council president Krysta Harden said in a statement that the decision was an "outstanding result for manufacturers and farmers here in the United States."

Gruyere cheese, "widely considered among the greatest of all cheeses," was first made in the Swiss district of La Gruyère in 1115, the court said. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has standards to certify gruyere cheese, but the court said they are "far less stringent" than Switzerland and France's and do not include geographic restrictions.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Food but not recipes

Post by neonzx »

Seems reasonable. I mean, Gruyère Swiss doesn't have holes in it thus it should not be mislabeled as simply "Swiss cheese". Gruyère just means a very good Swiss cheese without holes. :twisted:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Phoenix520 »

Gruyère is currently my favorite cheese, and now I have a favorite dill pickle too.

Costco has started selling Grillo’s spears from the Grillo family of MA. They are light and crunchycrispy and perfectly spiced.

Dang, now i want one.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Food but not recipes

Post by Foggy »

Gruyère, schmuyère, I always say. :smoking:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Food but not recipes

Post by RTH10260 »

rescued from the fire ;)
20230304_141700.jpg
20230304_141700.jpg (81.12 KiB) Viewed 673 times
humblescribe
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by humblescribe »

Is Emmentaler next, I wonder?

Or Velveeta? :bag:
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Volkonski
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Volkonski »

This guy specializes in 18th century food.

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Volkonski »

Toblerone: Swiss rules mean chocolate bar to drop Matterhorn from packaging

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-64854720
Toblerone is to remove the Matterhorn mountain peak from its packaging after some of the chocolate's production was moved outside Switzerland.

The pyramid-shaped bar, which mirrors the Alpine peak, will undergo a labelling revamp and include its founder's signature, its maker said.

US firm Mondelez said the image of the 4,478m (14,692 ft) mountain will be replaced by a more generic summit.

Strict rules have applied about "Swissness" since 2017.

They state that national symbols are not allowed to be used to promote milk-based products that are not made exclusively in Switzerland. For other raw foodstuffs the threshold is at least 80%.
neonzx

Food but not recipes

Post by neonzx »

Volkonski wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:05 pm This guy specializes in 18th century food.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg4OIFd5-aA
eww. Just watching that made my hypertension flair up. Thankfully, the doGs gave us sub-zero freezers after that age of long ago.
Volkonski
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Volkonski »

Gourmet fish bladder races chicken, beef to profitability in Singapore's lab meat push

https://www.reuters.com/business/gourme ... ce=twitter
Huber's Butchery in Singapore's lush Dempsey Hill is the lone restaurant in the world selling lab-grown meat, but the supply is so limited there are just six servings - cultivated chicken in a salad or on kebab sticks - only on Thursdays.

Two years after Singapore greenlighted lab-grown meat for human consumption, mass production has yet to start.

The slow progress is mainly due to high production costs and underscores challenges facing the nascent industry seeking to meet demand for alternative protein that does not hurt animals or harm the environment.

However early signs show that gourmet products could turn a profit sooner than everyday meats like chicken.

As of 2022, Singapore has lured around 30 companies working on alternative proteins, looking to improve its food security. The city-state imports 90% of its food and wants to cut that to 70% by 2030.

So far, U.S. startup Eat Just's chicken on Huber's menu is the only lab meat product available.

The technological, regulatory and scale barriers to entry for cultivated meat are very high compared to plant-based meat, said Didier Toubia, chief executive of Israel's Aleph Farms, which makes cultivated beef steak.

Cultivated meat is derived from small samples of cells from livestock, which are then fed nutrients, grown in enormous steel vessels called bioreactors, and processed into something that looks and tastes like a real cut of meat.

:snippity:

Advances in manufacturing have helped several companies cut production costs by as much as 90% from when they first started years back, industry executives said.

Eat Just and Avant Meats, for example, have cracked the code on replacing fetal bovine serum, found in the blood of fetuses extracted from cows during the slaughter process, with nutrients to produce cultivated meats.

Eat Just has made "significant progress" in cutting costs for each chicken nugget from $50 previously, but has not said by how much.

"It's too high and it's embarrassing ... We lose money every time someone enjoys our cultivated chicken," Eat Just CEO Josh Tetrick said.

Huber's sells the Eat Just cultivated chicken meals for about S$19 ($14).

Costs remain so high that Eat Just has pushed out its forecast for turning a profit to the end of this decade, nine years later than previously projected.

Hong Kong-based Avant Meats is more bullish than Eat Just, with ambitions to make a premium food, cultivated fish maw.

Fish maw is the swim bladder of a fish, a delicacy prized in China that could fetch up to thousands of dollars per kilogram, depending on its grade.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Food but not recipes

Post by northland10 »

I did not want to hijack the General Law thread here so I thought I would mention my favorite cheese, Grand Noir (sometimes called Champignon Grand Noir, after the producer/importer, I think).

It is a blue cheese but soft and creamy and not as sharp as other blues. I enjoy having it with Firehook Crackers.

https://www.thisisfinecheese.com/grand-noir
Screenshot 2023-03-07 191234.jpg
Screenshot 2023-03-07 191234.jpg (123.57 KiB) Viewed 548 times
Another site refers to it:
https://tastingsgourmetmarket.com/produ ... rand-noir/
Cambozola Grand Noir
is a creamy, melt in your mouth blue from Bavaria, Germany. What makes this blue as exceptional as it is, is the unique waxy black mantle: each wheel is dipped by hand in black wax to protect the cheese as it ripens! This covering allows it develop a silky and creamy texture, unique among blue cheeses.

Origin: Bavaria, Germany Producer: Kaserei Champignon
Milk: Pasteurized Cow Rennet Type: Vegetarian Age: 2 months
Look: Waxy black mantle, pale yellow paste with blue-green veins
Feel: Creamy, rich
Smell: Aromatic
Taste: Sharp, sweet, mildy spicy
Pairs well with: Auslese Riesling or Dopplebock beers
Tastes good with: Dried fruits and nuts, figs, pomegranate, honey
101010 :towel:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by AndyinPA »

I love blue cheese. That really looks good.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Volkonski »

:eek: :eek: :eek:

'Sushi terror' pranks outrage Japan as police make arrests

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-64898111
Japanese police have arrested three people over "sushi terror": viral, unhygienic pranks that are threatening the world-famous feature of sushi conveyor belt restaurants.

Last month, a video of a man licking a soy sauce bottle on a sushi train went viral, sparking outrage.

In the video, he can be seen rubbing saliva on passing dishes at a Kura Sushi restaurant branch.

Since then, dozens of such videos have proliferated sparking public concern.

Several sushi train restaurants - known as Kaiten-sushi in Japan - have made public appeals for offenders to stop their food sabotage.

But some eateries have even made the choice to stop operating their main attraction altogether - with sushi conveyor belts coming to a halt across the country.

In eastern Japan, the Choushimaru chain said it would stop using its conveyor belts altogether after a customer placed a cigarette butt in a jar of pickled ginger.

Staff will now bring dishes to customers directly - and only hand out condiments and sauces when they've taken their seats.

Japan is renowned for its exacting cleanliness standards and culinary etiquette.
Kendra

Food but not recipes

Post by Kendra »

I don't recall this *burger* from the old days, but looking forward to giving it a try. OMG, a taco burger?

Note: Taco Time Northwest is featuring this, and they are ('natch) located in the Pacific Northwest. To the best of my knowledge, they are not affiliated with the Taco Time restaurants in the rest of the country.
lunaluz

Food but not recipes

Post by lunaluz »

Taco Time is the most scandinavian taco place I have ever eaten at lol.. glad they are doing well but not real Mexican...I live there and have eaten their food.. they have a lovely skinny deep fried burrito... I was raised by Scandinavians I see my people...Spice is not a thing...
Kendra

Food but not recipes

Post by Kendra »

lunaluz wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:13 pm Taco Time is the most scandinavian taco place I have ever eaten at lol.. glad they are doing well but not real Mexican...I live there and have eaten their food.. they have a lovely skinny deep fried burrito... I was raised by Scandinavians I see my people...Spice is not a thing...
The crispy burrito is the bomb. But yeah, maybe no authentic Mexican.
MN-Skeptic

Food but not recipes

Post by MN-Skeptic »

lunaluz wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:13 pm I was raised by Scandinavians... Spice is not a thing...
:yeahthat: Me too!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by AndyinPA »

Mexican is a good start to any meal. I had a ques-o-dilla yesterday from our local Cal/Tex Mex place. It was a Reuben in a quesadilla. The homage paid to Mex was the spice in the Russian dressing. OMG, so good. For Thanksgiving, they do a gobblerito. Fresh turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn, and beans. Awesome. The ques-o-dilla is probably ending at St. Patrick's Day, so I think I may do it again next week, as it probably won't come around for another year.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neonzx

Food but not recipes

Post by neonzx »

Neon approved. Like the "air fryer" marketing lie. :biggrin:

https://www.tmz.com/2023/03/10/buffalo- ... ss-action/

Buffalo Wild Wings Sued Boneless Wings Are Just the Breast ... Customer Cries FOWL!!!
Buffalo Wild Wings is duping customers into believing they are chowing down on wing meat when they order boneless wings, when in reality it's essentially just chicken nuggets ... at least according to a new lawsuit.

The nationwide restaurant chain is being dragged into a class-action suit by a man named Aimen Halim, and he's got a serious bone to pick here. Sorry, we had to do it.

In the suit, obtained by TMZ, Halim claims Buffalo Wild Wings' boneless wings are not deboned wings at all, as they would have customers believe, but rather slices of breast meat deep fried like wings with a composition more akin to nuggets than wings.

He says he fell victim to what he describes as deceptive marketing. :snippity:
Fake advertising. LOL

To be fair, if you are chowing down on fake boneless wings (breast meat) it is more healthy than the garbage wing meat of a chicken.
Volkonski
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Volkonski »

I have been to a Buffalo Wild Wings maybe twice some years ago. I seem to recall that there was a note on the menu that the boneless wings were breast meat.
neonzx

Food but not recipes

Post by neonzx »

Volkonski wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:49 am I have been to a Buffalo Wild Wings maybe twice some years ago. I seem to recall that there was a note on the menu that the boneless wings were breast meat.
That may be true. That would be smart of them.
But in my experience, most restaurants are not up front about the "boneless wings" lie.
tek

Food but not recipes

Post by tek »

Bird flu has been hell on the supply chain
d-3.jpg
d-3.jpg (34.32 KiB) Viewed 403 times
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Kriselda Gray »

lunaluz wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:13 pm Taco Time is the most scandinavian taco place I have ever eaten at lol.. glad they are doing well but not real Mexican...I live there and have eaten their food.. they have a lovely skinny deep fried burrito... I was raised by Scandinavians I see my people...Spice is not a thing...
Oh, I think I may have had those when I was living in Seattle. I LOVE crispy burritos! And I loved that they didn't use much spice. :)
neonzx

Food but not recipes

Post by neonzx »

I always suspected the over spicing of foods in central/south America may have to cover over the lack of quality sourced protein. I could be wrong. With the exception of Brazil where their food is rather bland, latin regions crank up the heat.

Bangladesh also spices the heck out of their dishes. Maybe for the same reason?

I used to love spicy hot foods, but in my older years, my GI tract no longer approves.

Return to “General Stuff”