Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Food but not recipes

northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Food but not recipes

Post by northland10 »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:37 am
AndyinPA wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:55 am
neonzx wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:50 am
Yikes, there is something wrong with you woman. Why do you want all that gristle and fat? :biggrin:
Fat=flavor. ;)
:yeahthat:

Chicken legs and thighs don’t have a lot of gristle on them and are delicious.

I never could understand the appeal of chicken wings… not worth the effort.

Chicken gizzards… yum!
Yum, gizzards. I haven't had them in a while.

I enjoy diverse chicken, both leg (dark) and breast (white). Wings don't really do anything for me but if others like it, whatever. I also don't find ribs to be much use, and likely for the same reason (my front teeth don't come together so eating them is a bit of a toil).
101010 :towel:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Food but not recipes

Post by neonzx »

northland10 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:27 am Yum, gizzards. I haven't had them in a while.

I enjoy diverse chicken, both leg (dark) and breast (white). Wings don't really do anything for me but if others like it, whatever. I also don't find ribs to be much use, and likely for the same reason (my front teeth don't come together so eating them is a bit of a toil).
Ima cancelling date-night with you too, northland. :biggrin:

Gizzards are gross. You know they are essentially the garbage bag of a chicken, right?

I can make ribs very well. You will not hurt your front teeth because mine are fall off the bone.

Generally, I don't like to be reminded of what I am eating and bone-in stuff grosses me out. Grocers picked up on that decades ago and that is why we have these options of boneless/skinless choices.
northland10

Food but not recipes

Post by northland10 »

My mother came from a farming family, so using everything was not unusual. I also don't mind the garbage or exotic parts of an animal. I once grossed out my elementary class by having a cow tongue sandwich for lunch. Yum.
MN-Skeptic

Food but not recipes

Post by MN-Skeptic »

northland10 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:01 pm My mother came from a farming family, so using everything was not unusual. I also don't mind the garbage or exotic parts of an animal. I once grossed out my elementary class by having a cow tongue sandwich for lunch. Yum.
Yup. My grandpa was a beekeeper and raised Angus cattle, so Mom was a farm kid during the Great Depression. I remember eating tongue growing up too.
MN-Skeptic

Food but not recipes

Post by MN-Skeptic »

neonzx wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:49 pm Gizzards are gross. You know they are essentially the garbage bag of a chicken, right?
:shrug:

Gizzards are muscles, like much of the meat we eat.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Food but not recipes

Post by RTH10260 »

Just never ask what made its way into the sausage ;)
AndyinPA
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by AndyinPA »

I can remember eating pigs' feet as a kid. My grandmother grew up in the country, and when she came to this country, lived in rural PA about 40 miles from Pittsburgh before moving into the city.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
sugar magnolia

Food but not recipes

Post by sugar magnolia »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:08 pm I can remember eating pigs' feet as a kid. My grandmother grew up in the country, and when she came to this country, lived in rural PA about 40 miles from Pittsburgh before moving into the city.
They still have gallon jars of pickled pig's feet on the counter at our gas stations around here. And the best selling sandwich at a local burger joint is the pig ear sandwiches.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Food but not recipes

Post by Foggy »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:20 pm I remember eating tongue growing up too.
I was introduced to tongue in a deli that we visited when I worked in the waterbed factory down by the dockyards in San Francisco, so you didn't need to be rural to enjoy it. Which I did.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
neonzx

Food but not recipes

Post by neonzx »

Why would I want to eat a pigs foot (and visibly know that). And tongue? Isn't the gourmet name for that "tripe" or is that the stomach?.

Ugh gawds, give me some tofu. And Calgon Take Me Away from this.
Volkonski
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Volkonski »

Tripe is from the 1st or 2nd stomach of a cow.

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
neonzx

Food but not recipes

Post by neonzx »

Okay, see herein. All of you are dis-invited from Date-Night. :nope: :cantlook:
MN-Skeptic

Food but not recipes

Post by MN-Skeptic »

neonzx wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:26 pm Okay, see herein. All of you are dis-invited from Date-Night. :nope: :cantlook:
How about if I bring the wine? Am I back in?
RTH10260

Food but not recipes

Post by RTH10260 »

RTH10260

Food but not recipes

Post by RTH10260 »

sautee in water with vegetables

RTH10260

Food but not recipes

Post by RTH10260 »

RTH10260

Food but not recipes

Post by RTH10260 »

RTH10260

Food but not recipes

Post by RTH10260 »

Patagoniagirl

Food but not recipes

Post by Patagoniagirl »

I absolutely love this thread. Thanks for the videos! My early years were on a farm (mostly dairy cows). Every year a cow would be butchered as well as one hog. Tongue, liver, trotters and sausage in pig intestines, hog head cheese. As far as I know we never ate pigs ears. So, not being squimish, I am pretty adventurous when it comes to food.

In Chile, the guest of honor at an asado got to eat the lamb eyeballs. In Panama, I learned to prepare rocky mountain oysters. They are delicious! And cheap. I bought two huge ones at the meat market for .50¢. The process is simple. Plop your nuts in boiling salted water with a splash of vinegar for less than a minute and transfer to a bowl of icy water. Peel off the outer casing. Slice into medallions, dredge in a flour/cornmeal mix, and fry. They taste like gizzards but are tender and juicy.

Back on the farm, we also had our fair share of cornmeal mush and ate and canned field corn when it was still young.

If this grosses you out, don't ever watch hotdogs or chicken nuggets being made!

🤪
northland10

Food but not recipes

Post by northland10 »

I think it's safe to say that nobody here will be going on a date night with Neonzx. Sorry Neonzx.

I used to think my past eating habits were a little exotic, at least regarding farm animals, but apparently, I'm boring.

Do I care how hot dogs are made? Not really, as long as they have yellow mustard, onions, green pickle relish, tomatoes, a pickle spear, sport peppers, celery salt, a poppy seed bun, and absolutely NO KETCHUP. I think they are officially supposed to be an all-beef dog, but if it tastes like all-beef, well then, I'm good.
Patagoniagirl

Food but not recipes

Post by Patagoniagirl »

What are sport peppers?
northland10

Food but not recipes

Post by northland10 »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:03 pm What are sport peppers?
Basically, small pickled hot peppers.

https://www.viennabeef.com/sport-peppers
AndyinPA
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by AndyinPA »

northland10 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:47 pm I think it's safe to say that nobody here will be going on a date night with Neonzx. Sorry Neonzx.

I used to think my past eating habits were a little exotic, at least regarding farm animals, but apparently, I'm boring.

Do I care how hot dogs are made? Not really, as long as they have yellow mustard, onions, green pickle relish, tomatoes, a pickle spear, sport peppers, celery salt, a poppy seed bun, and absolutely NO KETCHUP. I think they are officially supposed to be an all-beef dog, but if it tastes like all-beef, well then, I'm good.
Chicago dog?
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260

Food but not recipes

Post by RTH10260 »

re tongue: my father used to say that he will never eat anything that someone else already had in their mouth ;)
AndyinPA
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by AndyinPA »

:lol:

Return to “General Stuff”