Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Food but not recipes

John Thomas8

Food but not recipes

Post by John Thomas8 »

Not sure it's recipe, Kent is a trail cook that's adjusted and made an interest YouTube Channel:

MsDaisy
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by MsDaisy »

I went out to pick green beans in the garden a while ago and there was this perfect little medium size tomato that caught my eye. I couldn’t help myself now that we’re heading into winter and won’t be getting many more of those good homegrown tomatoes so I picked it. I also cooked up a batch of bacon and made myself a very tasty BLT. Nothing like ‘um! My dad loved them too but according to him it was a terrible sin to make a BLT with what he called "a plastic store bought tasteless tomato". :lol:
June bug

Food but not recipes

Post by June bug »

True dat!
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Food but not recipes

Post by neonzx »

John Thomas8 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:35 pm Not sure it's recipe, Kent is a trail cook that's adjusted and made an interest YouTube Channel:

https://youtu.be/7qkS5IyctcQ
Yeah, outdoor "trail cook". Until he needs to go indoors to use a food processor for one step. :lol:
John Thomas8

Food but not recipes

Post by John Thomas8 »

neonzx wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:44 pm
John Thomas8 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:35 pm Not sure it's recipe, Kent is a trail cook that's adjusted and made an interest YouTube Channel:

https://youtu.be/7qkS5IyctcQ
Yeah, outdoor "trail cook". Until he needs to go indoors to use a food processor for one step. :lol:
Happens every once in a while. Does whole meals in his kitchen, too.
Volkonski
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Volkonski »

Neanderthals cooked meals with pulses 70,000 years ago

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/22/world/pr ... index.html
Stone Age cooks were surprisingly sophisticated, combining an array of ingredients and using different techniques to prepare and flavor their meals, analysis of some the earliest charred food remains has suggested.

Plant material found at the Shanidar Cave in northern Iraq — which is famous for its burial of a Neanderthal surrounded by flowers — and Franchthi Cave in Greece revealed prehistoric cooking by Neanderthals and early modern humans was complex, involving several steps, and that the foods used were diverse, according to a new study published in the journal Antiquity.

Wild nuts, peas, vetch, a legume which had edible seed pods, and grasses were often combined with pulses like beans or lentils, the most commonly identified ingredient, and at times, wild mustard. To make the plants more palatable, pulses, which have a naturally bitter taste, were soaked, coarsely ground or pounded with stones to remove their husk.

At Shanidar Cave, the researchers studied plant remains from 70,000 years ago, when the space was inhabited by Neanderthals, an extinct species of human, and 40,000 years ago, when it was home to early modern humans (Homo sapiens).
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Volkonski »

I Can’t Shut Up About Spam Figgy Pudding

https://www.thecut.com/2022/11/spam-figgy-pudding.html
Everyone say it aloud on the count of three. One, two, three, Spam Figgy Pudding! Doesn’t it feel awfully good to say? It’s so wrong, and yet so right. But of course Spam has released a seasonal version of its rectangle meat. Why wouldn’t it? Adele re-created the Megan Thee Stallion meme live onstage. The rules don’t exist anymore, babe.

Spam has added “cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and allspice, along with orange and fig flavor” to its gorgeous pink pork brick. What does this mean for you? Anything, really. Spam suggests putting it onto skewers with caramelized onions and figs or adding it to your charcuterie board and waiting for a distant relative to fight you. If the artwork on the Spam Figgy Pudding can is to be believed, you could also try shoving the Spam into a Bundt-cake mold. How? I suppose with reckless abandon.

The tagline for figgy-pudding Spam is “flavor, spice, and everything nice.” As someone who has worked as a copywriter, I feel a traumatic kinship with whoever was made to come up with this. On the other hand, I would like to have a stern conversation with whichever godless creative director is responsible for this Spam Figgy Pudding ad. It’s a 90-second video where a choir of different animated holiday characters (and one pig??) sing “We Wish You a Merry Christmas” while passing around a can of Spam. Show us the actual Christmas meat brick, cowards.

The words “Spam Figgy Pudding” raise a lot of questions. What even is figgy pudding? Also, what is Spam? And what does it mean for these two culinary freaks to come together in festive union? Figgy pudding — known for such classic holiday lyrics as “Now bring us some figgy pudding” — is a steamed cake-like dessert typically made with dried fruit, candied fruit peels, spices, and nuts. Kinda like a wetter fruitcake? However, figgy pudding dates back to the 14th century and used to refer to a dish consisting of a wet, sticky porridge made with “boiled figs, water, wine, ground almonds, raisins, and honey.” Later, figgy pudding referred to a dish that was made with ground meat and grains. Figgy pudding is weirdly complex. On the other hand, given its reputation, Spam is deceptively simple: a mixture of pork and ham meat, salt, water, potato starch, sugar, and sodium nitrite. That mixture is put into cans, sealed, and cooked. Voila! Meat rectangle.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
sugar magnolia

Food but not recipes

Post by sugar magnolia »

Just got back from making groceries at the Kroger and while I was there, the singing butcher was entertaining us with a rendition of "Bring us Some Figgy Pudding" when he broke in on himself to announce they had 15 lb fresh turkeys for $2.30. Each. NOT per pound. I was only about 10 feet away from him and there were only 3 left by the time I got to his buggy. And there were very few people in the store, too. Lots of sales on ground sausage, oysters, fresh veggies and a ton of meat. Lots of empty spots on the shelves, too. I have a 3 lb bacon-wrapped pork prime rib roasting as we speak, with the .99 cent baby asparagus marinating. I love making groceries 2 days after a holiday.

And the $1 bags of cherry Andes mints! I may have gotten more than one of those.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ne-lobster
Environmental groups are once again at loggerheads with leading politicians and fishing businesses in New England in the wake of a decision by the high-end US retail giant Whole Foods to stop selling Maine lobster.

Whole Foods recently said that it will stop selling lobster from the Gulf of Maine at hundreds of its stores around the country. The company cited decisions by a pair of sustainability organizations to take away their endorsements of the US lobster fishing industry.

The organizations, Marine Stewardship Council and Seafood Watch, both cited concerns about risks to rare North Atlantic right whales from fishing gear. Entanglement in gear is one of the biggest threats to the whales.

The decision by Whole Foods was an “important action to protect the highly endangered” whale, Virginia Carter, an associate with the Save America’s Wildlife Campaign at Environment America Research & Policy Center, told the Associated Press.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Volkonski »

The baguette enters the upper crust as it's added to the U.N. cultural heritage list

https://www.npr.org/2022/11/30/11399208 ... l-heritage
The humble baguette — the crunchy ambassador for French baking around the world — is being added to the U.N.'s list of intangible cultural heritage as a cherished tradition to be preserved by humanity.

UNESCO experts gathering in Morocco this week decided that the simple French flute — made only of flour, water, salt, and yeast — deserved U.N. recognition, after France's culture ministry warned of a "continuous decline" in the number of traditional bakeries, with some 400 closing every year over the past half-century.

The U.N. cultural agency's chief, Audrey Azoulay, said the decision honors more than just bread; it recognizes the "savoir-faire of artisanal bakers" and "a daily ritual."

"It is important that these craft knowledge and social practices can continue to exist in the future," added Azoulay, a former French culture minister.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Food but not recipes

Post by keith »

Preparing for this year's bulk wine home bottling

Final bottle wash and rinse:

Drying in the oven - cooling before boxing

6 dozen bottles ready to load into car to take to friends where bottling will occur.

Problem is, we need 100 bottles (8.4 dozen). And we don't have enough corks either.

Our friends use stelvin closures these days instead of corks. We might have to 'steal' some. But I'll try to get some more bottles and corks tomorrow.

ETA: sorry about the photos all lying on their sides. Just tilt your head.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
tek

Food but not recipes

Post by tek »

Stumbled across this yesterday at BJs.

Hmmmm
d-4.jpg
d-4.jpg (49.17 KiB) Viewed 660 times
Kendra

Food but not recipes

Post by Kendra »

Not a recipe, but just made tracks across my FB feed. Take your stuffing (leftover, instant or uncooked) and put in a waffle maker. Poach two eggs and put on top with some good hot sauce. Damn, that looks good.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Food but not recipes

Post by Maybenaut »

Kendra wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:47 pm Not a recipe, but just made tracks across my FB feed. Take your stuffing (leftover, instant or uncooked) and put in a waffle maker. Poach two eggs and put on top with some good hot sauce. Damn, that looks good.
Oh, my, that does sound good. I just threw our a bunch of leftover stuffing too. Dammit!
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Kendra

Food but not recipes

Post by Kendra »

I have a box of Stove Top stuffing on the counter. Too late to hassle with it today, but soon...
Volkonski
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Volkonski »

Britain’s broken egg industry shows the price of food inflation

https://www.reuters.com/markets/commodi ... ce=twitter
With war in Ukraine driving energy and chicken feed costs higher, farmers say what they get paid is no longer enough, upending the economics of a key food staple.

Many of the country's supermarkets, including market leader Tesco (TSCO.L) and No. 3 Asda, have rationed sales, blaming the bout of bird flu that has ravaged flocks across Europe and the United States and, they say, led to a British shortage.

But British farmers argue that while the outbreak is a factor, there are not enough eggs because they lose money on every box sold, forcing many to cut production and some to quit altogether.

"The stupidity of the whole thing is that we warned retailers, we've given them plenty of notice this was going to happen," Robert Gooch, chief executive of the British Free Range Egg Producers Association (BFREPA) told Reuters.
tek

Food but not recipes

Post by tek »

Off Topic
Britain’s broken egg industry shows the price of food inflation
I realize British cuisine is legendary, but I never realized there was a market for broken eggs..
Volkonski
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Volkonski »

The Associated Press :verified:
@ap@news.twtr.plus
A lingering bird flu outbreak, combined with soaring feed, fuel and labor costs, has led to U.S. egg prices more than doubling over the past year, and hatched a lot of sticker shock on grocery aisles. https://apnews.com/article/bird-flu-bu

Eggs have long been prized as a cheap source of high quality protein. Rising egg prices are bad for lower income people.

Also it is hard to adulterate eggs unlike milk which can be watered down and bread which can be made partly with non-nutritious additives like fine sawdust.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Food but not recipes

Post by RTH10260 »

The Rooster needs to be recalled from retirement
Charlotte egg prices have risen by 186% at grocers. When is relief expected?

Catherine Muccigrosso, Mary Ramsey
Sat, January 14, 2023 at 12:00 PM GMT+1

Charlotte grocery shoppers may be feeling a little shell-shocked picking up eggs at their local store.

The average price for a dozen large eggs at Charlotte’s top four stores by market share skyrocketed 186% over the past year, according to a Charlotte Observer price comparison last month.

A carton of eggs averaged $1.60 in December 2021 compared to $5 on Thursday, Jan. 11, at Walmart, Harris Teeter, Food Lion and Publix. Last month, the average was $4.54, the Observer analysis found.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/charlotte-eg ... 00058.html
(original: Charlotte Observer)
MsDaisy
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by MsDaisy »

We eat bagels fairly regularly but I’ve always hated cutting the damn things just waiting to cut my finger off or end up needing stitches. Then I discovered “The Original Bagel Guillotine” at our cousin's house when we were there for a visit and bought one on Amazon. Today is the first time I’ve bought bagels since I got it and it works wonderfully and is super sharp! I love it love it love it!
Bagel Cutter.png
Bagel Cutter.png (65.15 KiB) Viewed 458 times
If you eat lots of bagels I highly recommend one of these :thumbsup:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by AndyinPA »

I had one a long time ago; have been thinking of getting another one as we're eating bagels more often these days.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Volkonski »

MsDaisy wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:05 pm We eat bagels fairly regularly but I’ve always hated cutting the damn things just waiting to cut my finger off or end up needing stitches. Then I discovered “The Original Bagel Guillotine” at our cousin's house when we were there for a visit and bought one on Amazon. Today is the first time I’ve bought bagels since I got it and it works wonderfully and is super sharp! I love it love it love it!

Bagel Cutter.png

If you eat lots of bagels I highly recommend one of these :thumbsup:
Our older daughter gave me one for my birthday several years ago and it is great. I keep it at our North Fork cottage because the bagels available in Texas generally aren't very good. :(
Danraft

Food but not recipes

Post by Danraft »

I was kidding around with friends about ridiculous pizza ideas and came up with monkfish liver and jellybean pizza.
Which’s thankfully, does not exist.
But, the Google machine did find an Italian sausage and jellybean pizza.
No recipe for it, so it goes here… LOL
BB644C21-CEA4-4ED9-BA37-C5D4BD221781.jpeg
BB644C21-CEA4-4ED9-BA37-C5D4BD221781.jpeg (332.55 KiB) Viewed 409 times
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Food but not recipes

Post by Foggy »

MY EYES!!
Out from under. :thumbsup:
MsDaisy
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by MsDaisy »

The Food Expiration Dates you should actually follow
The first thing you should know? The dates, as we know them, have nothing to do with safety. J. Kenji López-Alt explains.
Have you been reacquainting yourself with the forgotten spices and fusty beans from the depths of your pantry? How fusty is too fusty? When is the right time to throw something out? And what about fresh ingredients? If I’m trying to keep supermarket trips to a minimum, how long can my eggs, dairy and produce keep?

Here’s the first thing you should know: Expiration dates are not expiration dates.

Food product dating, as the U.S. Department of Agriculture calls it, is completely voluntary for all products (with the exception of baby food, more on that later). Not only that, but it has nothing to do with safety. It acts solely as the manufacturer’s best guess as to when its product will no longer be at peak quality, whatever that means. Food manufacturers also tend to be rather conservative with those dates, knowing that not all of us keep our pantries dark and open our refrigerators as minimally as necessary. (I, for one, would never leave the fridge door open for minutes at a time as I contemplate what to snack on.)

Let’s start with the things you definitely don’t have to worry about. Vinegars, honey, vanilla or other extracts, sugar, salt, corn syrup and molasses will last virtually forever with little change in quality. Regular steel-cut or rolled oats will last for a year or so before they start to go rancid, but parcooked oats (or instant oats) can last nearly forever. (Same with grits versus instant grits.)
https://www.nytimes.com/article/expirat ... =share-url

Return to “General Stuff”