Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Food but not recipes

AndyinPA
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by AndyinPA »

I read something a few months ago about a guy in England who had decided to push the envelope to see how far past the sell-by date had to be before he found something he couldn't use. He was paying no attention to those dates and using canned goods many years out of date. I think he had been doing it for years, routinely using canned goods that were years past their sell date. He had never had anything that was spoiled or had made him sick.

Recently out of curiosity, when I found a can of tomato sauce that went back to 2015( :eek: ), I decided to inspect the can and open it up, and if it looked and smelled okay, I'd use it. It was fine, and made no difference. Not sure if I'd do that on a regular basis, but no one but I knew how old it was. I have a big pantry, so things can definitely be left behind.

I also recently read an article about over-the-counter and prescription drugs. I have tended to keep OTC drugs a year or two beyond dates, with no issue that I've ever noticed. Prescription drugs always to tell you to dispose of one year after dispensed. I've never had a problem with keeping them considerably longer. That's not a serious date. It's more for safety. And I can understand that it's probably not a good idea to keep a lot of old drugs around. If I get a rare prescription for an antibiotic (allergic to most), I always use it up, which is what you are supposed to do for one to work properly. But I was really surprised when the article said that most prescription drugs are probably safe to use for fifteen years.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
MN-Skeptic

Food but not recipes

Post by MN-Skeptic »

When going through old boxes in the basement this summer, I came across a little bottle of 100mg caffeine tablets. I don't drink coffee, so I rely on caffeine tablets instead. The expiration date on the bottle? March 1989. Checking on the internet, they should still be fine. We'll see.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Food but not recipes

Post by RTH10260 »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:37 pm I read something a few months ago about a guy in England who had decided to push the envelope to see how far past the sell-by date had to be before he found something he couldn't use. He was paying no attention to those dates and using canned goods many years out of date. I think he had been doing it for years, routinely using canned goods that were years past their sell date. He had never had anything that was spoiled or had made him sick.

:snippity:
Canned food for early North / South Pole expeditions were found in edible shape decades later, though freezing temperature may have helped.

As long the lid of canned food does not buckle up the content can be considered safe. Taste itself may not carry forward well.

ETA.

Canned food can spoil depending on the way the inner lining of the tin or steel can has been treated. Newer canning methods use a white coloured sealant which hold very long, possibly discoloration along the welded side shows a detoriation. On the older type of cans a black discoloration means that the inner cover has detoriated (acids in food) and the content ought no longer be consumed (metal induced poisoning).

additional reading maybe:
https://www.foodpackagingforum.org/food ... n-coatings
PDF https://www.foodpackagingforum.org/fpf- ... ings-1.pdf

more by Google search https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=t ... ve+sealing
AndyinPA
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... -research/
Chocolate is delicious — that’s a fact backed up by research. The question, really, is why a bite into its scrumptious goodness is enough to send a person into an utter state of bliss.

Enter science.

After conducting a study that included four types of dark chocolate and a 3D-printed tongue, a team of researchers in the United Kingdom found that it all comes down to chocolate’s slick outer layer — a.k.a. its fat.

“Our main finding out of this is that fat matters a lot,” Anwesha Sarkar, a professor of colloids and surfaces at the University of Leeds, told The Washington Post.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Food but not recipes

Post by Foggy »

There are no recipes for leftover chocolate. :mrgreen:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
tek

Food but not recipes

Post by tek »

“Our main finding out of this is that fat matters a lot,”
Huh. Whoda thunk?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by AndyinPA »

tek wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:24 pm
“Our main finding out of this is that fat matters a lot,”
Huh. Whoda thunk?
Yeah, for sure. :biggrin:

The article did go into a lot more after the fat layer, but yep.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Food but not recipes

Post by keith »

Foggy wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:21 pm There are no recipes for leftover chocolate. :mrgreen:
What the heck is 'leftover chocolate'?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
RTH10260

Food but not recipes

Post by RTH10260 »

'I looked at my bank account, and it was getting drained': Michigan dad says his six-year-old spent nearly $1,000 on Grubhub deliveries

Jordan Hart
Wed, February 1, 2023 at 9:57 PM GMT+1

Michigan man says his six-year-old son spent nearly $1,000 on Grubhub deliveries on Saturday.

The orders included chicken shawarma, chili cheese fries and nearly $500 worth of pepperoni pizza.

Since the orders couldn't be canceled, the family shared food with neighbors and stored the leftovers.

A six-year-old in the Detroit area spent Saturday night ordering enough food on Grubhub to feed a party using his dad's cell phone.

When Keith Stonehouse let his son, Mason, play a game on his phone before bed, he didn't expect it would lead to multiple meal deliveries from local restaurants. Stonehouse documented the nearly $1,000 food shopping spree on Facebook.

"Imagine my shock when delivery driver after delivery driver show up last night dropping off food at my doorstep," Stonehouse wrote.

It occurred while his wife, Kristin, was at the movies leaving Stonehouse at home with Mason. He told local news outlet Michigan Live it took a few deliveries for him to realize his son was behind all the orders. Chicken shawarma, chili cheese fries, ice cream, and more began to arrive at the Stonehouse residence.

"I took the food and then it hit me. I looked at my phone with repeated messages that my food was getting ready, my food was being delivered," Stonehouse told Michigan Live.

He added: "I looked at my bank account, and it was getting drained."

According to the report, he was unable to cancel the orders through the restaurants or Grubhub, so the food ultimately went to neighbors and other families' refrigerators. Thankfully, Mason's $439 pepperoni pizza order was declined and flagged by Chase as suspicious, but not before the young foodie could spend over $300 elsewhere.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/looked-bank- ... 40469.html
(original: Business Insider)
AndyinPA
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by AndyinPA »

:cantlook:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Food but not recipes

Post by neonzx »

:lol:

Kids say do the darnedest things.

and young Mason is not the first documented case of using a parent's phone to order food.
Volkonski
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Volkonski »

One year when our family was attending the Texas Music Educators Annual Meeting in San Antonio after a couple of days our younger daughter, a teenager, decided that she had had enough of concerts and walking around vendor displays so we let her stay for a few hours in the hotel room to watch TV and read.

She took the opportunity to order room service but in fairness to her she only ordered a single lunch for herself. ;)
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Volkonski »

Florida's citrus crisis drives up orange juice prices

https://www.axios.com/2023/02/02/orange ... da-farmers
Florida orange growers are facing what's forecast to be their smallest crop in nearly 90 years.

What's happening: Florida is expected to produce 18 million 90-pound boxes of juicing oranges this year, according to a U.S. Department of Agriculture forecast last month.

That's less than half of last year's crop and a 93% decline from the 1998 peak, the Wall Street Journal reports.

Why it matters: The existing short supply of Florida oranges is already driving orange juice prices up. Not-from-concentrate juice now costs more than $10 a gallon, up roughly 20% from 2016, per WSJ.

And a poor harvest will further squeeze growers still struggling to recover from two hurricanes last year.

Between the lines: Matt Joyner, CEO of trade association Florida Citrus Mutual, told Axios that farmers had just started to recover from 2017's Hurricane Irma when 2022 brought a series of severe weather events.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260

Food but not recipes

Post by RTH10260 »

What do I not understand about "sensitivities" ? :confuzzled:
Vendor apologizes for school lunch served on 1st day of Black History Month

Friday, February 3, 2023 10:34PM
  • Vendor apologizes for lunch served on 1st day of Black History Month
    Aramark is apologizing for the hot lunch of chicken and waffles it offered Nyack middle school students on the first day of Black History Month. Crystal Cranmore has the story.
NYACK, Rockland County (WABC) -- A food vendor in Rockland County is apologizing for what it calls "unintentional insensitivity" for the hot lunch it offered students on the first day of Black History Month.

Students at Nyack Middle School were given chicken and waffles with watermelon for dessert on Feb. 1.

"They were asking people if they want watermelon and I remember being confused because it's not in season," said student Honore Santiago.

Santiago immediately told her mom when she got home. Both were outraged by the message they say it sends to the school's Black students.

https://abc7ny.com/nyack-aramark-school ... /12766946/
neonzx

Food but not recipes

Post by neonzx »

RTH10260 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:17 pm What do I not understand about "sensitivities" ? :confuzzled:

NYACK, Rockland County (WABC) -- A food vendor in Rockland County is apologizing for what it calls "unintentional insensitivity" for the hot lunch it offered students on the first day of Black History Month.

Students at Nyack Middle School were given chicken and waffles with watermelon for dessert on Feb. 1.
Because that is NOT teaching anything about Black History other than enforcing an offensive stereotype of Blacks. It is racist.
RTH10260

Food but not recipes

Post by RTH10260 »

neonzx wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:22 pm
RTH10260 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:17 pm What do I not understand about "sensitivities" ? :confuzzled:

Because that is NOT teaching anything about Black History other than enforcing an offensive stereotype of Blacks. It is racist.
offensive stereotype of Blacks

That's what I do not understand from accross the Great Pond. What's wrong about the menu?
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Food but not recipes

Post by northland10 »

They changed the menu from what was originally planned. Somebody on the Aramak team at the local school made that decision intentionally. I really wish whoever is responsible for the menu for the school (either local or the manager above them) is fired for that.

Racist f***.

Edited:

I am going to modify my statement to allow the possibility that said manager was stupid enough to think, oh, blacks eat fried chicken and watermelon so let's serve that. In that case, instead of racist f***, I might change it to:

Ignorant f***.

If you are in the food industry, know the cultures.
101010 :towel:
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Food but not recipes

Post by northland10 »

RTH10260 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:38 pm
neonzx wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:22 pm
offensive stereotype of Blacks

That's what I do not understand from accross the Great Pond. What's wrong about the menu?
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/02/13/ ... ereotypes/

While chicken (fried chicken), waffles, and watermelon are all good, fried chicken and watermelon have been used for years as a racist meme. It apparently shows how POC are uncouth and unworthy of an equal spot in American society (ignore that lots of whites enjoy the same thing).
101010 :towel:
MN-Skeptic

Food but not recipes

Post by MN-Skeptic »

RTH10260 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:38 pm That's what I do not understand from accross the Great Pond. What's wrong about the menu?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watermelon_stereotype
RTH10260

Food but not recipes

Post by RTH10260 »

H/T for the references @Northland10 and @MN-Skeptic!
neonzx

Food but not recipes

Post by neonzx »

Thank you fellow fogbowers. I was unsure how to explain this to someone not born and raised in the USA.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Kriselda Gray »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:40 pm
RTH10260 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:38 pm That's what I do not understand from accross the Great Pond. What's wrong about the menu?
See also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fried_chi ... stereotype

Basically, fried chicken and watermelons are stereotypically associated with Blacks as they're the kind of simple, cheap food that was fed to slaves. The stereotype was that because Blacks loved them, they were simple too, along with an implication that they'd enjoyed being slaves because they got to eat these favorite foods.
MN-Skeptic

Food but not recipes

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:04 pm

Basically, fried chicken and watermelons are stereotypically associated with Blacks as they're the kind of simple, cheap food that was fed to slaves. The stereotype was that because Blacks loved them, they were simple too, along with an implication that they'd enjoyed being slaves because they got to eat these favorite foods.
The stereotyped images of Blacks eating watermelon in the Wikipedia article are just disgusting, yet I remember seeing those kinds of images somewhere while growing up, and I lived in the Upper Midwest.

Edited to add - the images were not around my town, but somewhere in books, magazines, or newspaper articles which I read.
Azastan
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Azastan »

Not just simple and cheap, the really offensive part is that the stereotype of Blacks is that they are STEALING the chickens from Massa.
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Food but not recipes

Post by Flatpoint High »

Azastan wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:23 am

Not just simple and cheap, the really offensive part is that the stereotype of Blacks is that they are STEALING the chickens from Massa.
https://www.pushblack.us/news/why-water ... ack-people
During enslavement many of us, already expert farmers, were able to grow watermelons for profit. After enslavement, many Black people continued to grow and sell the fruit. Our businesses thrived!

The popular fruit allowed us to purchase land, build wealth, and help create opportunities for each other. Watermelon was a symbol of freedom for Black people.
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR

Return to “General Stuff”