Happy Vernal Equinox, peeps!

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

What a surprise!

Doesn't exactly feel like spring here today, 46 and windy, but kinda looks it because of the warm weather we've had. I'll take it.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

I was surprised to open up this topic and find that at least in the Eastern time zone adding the Leap Day this year pushed the equinox forward into the last hour of March 19th. Of course I had to check out what was going on and it turns out this is the earliest Vernal Equinox in 128 years. The last time it was this early was 1896. Of course it is related to the rules we follow for leap years.

Earliest Vernal Equinox in 128 Years Kicks of Spring 2024
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Why Easter is early this year, I think, although it has been earlier.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:20 pm Why Easter is early this year, I think, although it has been earlier.
Actually no, there earlier than normal equinox played no role. According to the Ecclesiastical calendar the Vernal Equinox falls on March 21 regardless of when it really falls. So the earliest Easter can occur is March 22 if the full moon happens to fall on Saturday the 21st of March. Plus the full moon is on March 25th this year so the church observing the equinox on the wrong date didn't matter this time. I will not comment further on the stupidly of all this at the risk of a receiving a 500 word lecture from someone.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Okay. Weird. I think it's been on my birthday twice in my life when it's been early, but I don't think it will again in my lifetime.

Thanks.
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:41 pm Okay. Weird. I think it's been on my birthday twice in my life when it's been early, but I don't think it will again in my lifetime.

Thanks.
My birthday is April 3rd so I recall Easter falling on my birthday at least a few times. It won't happen again until 2067 so I think I have seen the last time. :lol:
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Reality Check wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:34 pm ... at the risk of a receiving a 500 word lecture from someone.
And links. Don't forget the liiiiinnnnnkkkkksssssss.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:20 pm Why Easter is early this year, I think, although it has been earlier.
It 2008, it was on March 23. A priest in New York like liked to refer to Ash Wednesday that year as scandalously early. It felt like we were barely out of Christmas.

I like it when it falls later and gets out of school spring break weeks. Too many folks here go out of town. Which makes staffing and preparing Holy Week liturgies difficult.
101010 :towel:
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

When I live up north we actually had not 2 seasons but three, tourist season, deer season, and winter.
101010 :towel:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

We just concluded four days of False Spring with +70F days, clear skies, and mild nights. It was nice. Now we're back to Oregon Sunshine - overcast, wet, and dreary - like England minus the history, novel accents, and royalty. I did manage to get the veggie bed turned over, the compost pile moved, and the plumbing to the back yard fixed. It might stay dry enough to give the lawn another haircut before it becomes a marsh.

Return to “Astronomy”