Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Kevin McCarthy

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Kevin McCarthy

Post by RTH10260 »

Don't tell me his initials are DJT, a FL man, a senior citizen with senior moments :twisted:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Kevin McCarthy

Post by Slim Cognito »

Alexa, order all the popcorn.

(h/t Rick Wilson)
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
AndyinPA
Verified:

Kevin McCarthy

Post by AndyinPA »

:eek:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bob

Kevin McCarthy

Post by bob »

Ron Filipkowski 🇺🇦 @RonFilipkowski wrote: Rep. Ralph Norman, who opposes McCarthy for Speaker, says the renegade Republicans have a secret candidate to run against him who is not a House member: “It will be apparent in the coming weeks who that person will be. I will tell you, it will be interesting.”
:brickwallsmall:

Again, the Speaker must obtain a majority of the votes cast. So not necessarily 218, but presumably close to that, and not less than what the minority party could muster.

A compromise candidate, in theory, could gain a majority of bipartisan votes.

A :crazy: Republican candidate* would fracture the Republican vote, so that no candidate would receive a majority of votes on the first ballot. Multiple rounds of balloting for the Speaker are rare, but it has happened.

Assuming the first ballot failed, later ballots likely would result in (1) the Freedom Caucus giving up the ghost and permitting McCarthy to win; or (2) a late-entry white-knight compromise candidate being nominated, who just might beat McCarthy.

So this "strategy" might end up sinking McCarthy. But it won't led to the :crazy: candidate winning.

Pyrrhic victories, and all that.

* And, yes, I have no doubt Norman is teasing a :crazy: candidate; likely the obvious one.
Image ImageImage
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Kevin McCarthy

Post by Ben-Prime »

I'm thinking of dropping a few dollars on the side bet that it's the corpse of Rush Limbaugh. Because let's go waaaaay out there on the guanopsychotic scale, just in case.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Kendra

Kevin McCarthy

Post by Kendra »

I asked ⁦
@GOPLeader
, who is attending the state dinner at the White House, what it would be like to be dining at an event with Hunter Biden, given his caucus’s desire to investigate ⁦
@POTUS
⁩’s son. McCarthy replied: I’m here with my mother.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Kevin McCarthy

Post by raison de arizona »

:lol: Who knew? I suspected he was grown in a lab!
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Gupwalla

Kevin McCarthy

Post by Gupwalla »

Kendra wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:42 am ⁩McCarthy replied: I’m here with my mother.
This may say more than it says. Mama McCarthy is a Democrat. Kevin is the first Republican in his family.

So maybe her sharp elbow will keep him out of any partisan food fights.
Kendra

Kevin McCarthy

Post by Kendra »

Gupwalla wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:23 am
Kendra wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:42 am ⁩McCarthy replied: I’m here with my mother.
This may say more than it says. Mama McCarthy is a Democrat. Kevin is the first Republican in his family.

So maybe her sharp elbow will keep him out of any partisan food fights.
Oh. Interesting.
Danraft

Kevin McCarthy

Post by Danraft »

The non-McCarthy potential speaker….
Hmmm…. What’s going on with Justin Amash?
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Kevin McCarthy

Post by RTH10260 »

McCarthy warns key GOP agenda could be stalled if leadership vote doesn't move forward
McCarthy says he's 'hopeful that everybody comes together, finds a way to govern together'

By Emma Colton | Fox News
Published December 4, 2022 11:53am EST

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy warned that key GOP agenda items, such as securing the border, will be stalled if he doesn’t get enough Republicans to support him as speaker of the House.

"If people don’t come along, that’s going to delay our ability to secure the border. That’s going to delay our ability to become energy independent. That’s gonna delay our ability to repeal 87,000 IRS agents. That’s gonna delay our ability to hold government accountable. There's no subpoena that can go out until that gets done," McCarthy told Fox News’ Maria Bartiromo on "Sunday Morning Futures."

House Republicans nominated McCarthy as their House speaker pick last month in a 188 to 31 vote during an internal conference meeting.

At least five Republicans have spoken out that they will not vote for McCarthy as House leader in January. The GOP is expected to hold a 222-seat majority in January, compared to an estimated 213 seats for Democrats. McCarthy can't lose more than four Republican votes if all 435 members of the House vote next month.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mccart ... ve-forward
sugar magnolia

Kevin McCarthy

Post by sugar magnolia »

Do Republican fear tactics and threats work against other Republicans?
tek

Kevin McCarthy

Post by tek »

If people don’t come along, that’s going to delay our ability to secure the border. That’s going to delay our ability to become energy independent. That’s gonna delay our ability to repeal 87,000 IRS agents. That’s gonna delay our ability to hold government accountable.
All things that won't happen anyway.
pipistrelle

Kevin McCarthy

Post by pipistrelle »

Repeal agents? Hmmm.

How does he think our beloved veterans get paid/taken care of? Not through taxes?
Patagoniagirl

Kevin McCarthy

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Fuck McCarthy. Fuck 'em all. Wake me up next year. Maybe.
Kendra

Kevin McCarthy

Post by Kendra »

McCarthy voted against same-sex marriage bill. I asked him why just now and he didn’t respond. Here are the GOP ‘yes’ votes
Kendra

Kevin McCarthy

Post by Kendra »

Kevin McCarthy with some diminishing comments about Brittney Griner, who he describes as "a WNBA player who was picked up for marijuana."
AndyinPA
Verified:

Kevin McCarthy

Post by AndyinPA »

:sick:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Kevin McCarthy

Post by Foggy »

:roll: no, not marijuana
Out from under. :thumbsup:
humblescribe
Verified:

Kevin McCarthy

Post by humblescribe »

I tells ya, sometimes I wonder what people like Kevin McCarthy were like when they were 7 years old.

I can see him in second grade class speaking on what he wants to be when he grows up. While most boys would say something like policeman, fire fighter, doctor, or even soldier/sailor/Marine, I betcha Kevin showed up to school in his coat and tie and said he wanted to be Speaker of the House of Representatives.

He comes across as one of those boys who never had the snot beat out of him for being a little prick.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
AndyinPA
Verified:

Kevin McCarthy

Post by AndyinPA »

I heard/read recently that he's the first republican in his family. I wonder where that came from?
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Kevin McCarthy

Post by Frater I*I »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:36 pm I heard/read recently that he's the first republican in his family. I wonder where that came from?
The milk man......

I'll come in again... :bag:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Kendra

Kevin McCarthy

Post by Kendra »

Frater I*I wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:53 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:36 pm I heard/read recently that he's the first republican in his family. I wonder where that came from?
The milk man......

I'll come in again... :bag:
:rimshot:
Gupwalla

Kevin McCarthy

Post by Gupwalla »

I think I probably mentioned that on this forum. It’s from his Wikipedia article.

As for why he became a Republican - it probably had to do with him coming of age in the 80s.
sugar magnolia

Kevin McCarthy

Post by sugar magnolia »

Gupwalla wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:16 pm
I think I probably mentioned that on this forum. It’s from his Wikipedia article.

As for why he became a Republican - it probably had to do with him coming of age in the 80s.
Or being dropped on his head.

Return to “Current Politics”