Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Kevin McCarthy

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Kevin McCarthy

Post by Foggy »

Jordan :eek:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Kevin McCarthy

Post by raison de arizona »

Ben-Prime wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:57 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:28 pm In my crystal ball I see the wingnut caucus having too much power to have a McCarthy speakership. I don't think it will happen. That's my prediction. FoxNews says the wingnuts are putting up Biggs, then they will all settle on Jordan, god help us. But yeah, I think the R's control of the House is going to be slim enough that the wingnut caucus will be able to block them at every turn.
So as I understand it, it's a 50% + 1 vote for the Speaker, right? So if the margin of R over D is low enough, it looks like the final winner is going to have to be a compromise candidate that can pull in D votes. Or am I missing something?
They don't need any Ds if they can get all the Rs to vote for the same person. But yeah, that might be a thought as well, freeze out the wingnuts and settle on someone the Ds can stomach and cross-over to as well. Reference pigs flying, etc.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
June bug

Kevin McCarthy

Post by June bug »

I can’t see any House Republicans giving Dems any say on the Speakership. That would be political suicide and virtually all the Rs willing to do that are already gone.
tek

Kevin McCarthy

Post by tek »

My uninformed guess is that the Ds won't vote for ANY R, so the Rs are just going to have to play nice and come to an agreement.

And there will have to be a lot of 'come to an agreement' over the next two years.
noblepa

Kevin McCarthy

Post by noblepa »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:17 pm
Ben-Prime wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:57 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:28 pm In my crystal ball I see the wingnut caucus having too much power to have a McCarthy speakership. I don't think it will happen. That's my prediction. FoxNews says the wingnuts are putting up Biggs, then they will all settle on Jordan, god help us. But yeah, I think the R's control of the House is going to be slim enough that the wingnut caucus will be able to block them at every turn.
So as I understand it, it's a 50% + 1 vote for the Speaker, right? So if the margin of R over D is low enough, it looks like the final winner is going to have to be a compromise candidate that can pull in D votes. Or am I missing something?
They don't need any Ds if they can get all the Rs to vote for the same person. But yeah, that might be a thought as well, freeze out the wingnuts and settle on someone the Ds can stomach and cross-over to as well. Reference pigs flying, etc.
A cross-over candidate might happen.

Even though 50% + 1 is enough to pass a bill in the House, the R's cannot hope to enact any laws that the D-controlled Senate won't pass and the president won't sign. That might keep them in check, at least a little bit.

So, a compromise candidate who will actually work with D's to get things done, might be attractive to sane members on both sides.

Who might that be?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Kevin McCarthy

Post by AndyinPA »

I don't thing they are interested in getting anything done, other than impeaching Biden, etc.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Kevin McCarthy

Post by Kendra »

Gaetz is a hard no on McCarthy.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Kevin McCarthy

Post by raison de arizona »

mtg as well, I believe there will be enough to block him
Ron Filipkowski 🇺🇦 @RonFilipkowski wrote: Marge Greene today on battle for Speaker: “We’re going to fight it out. I’m not afraid of the civil war in the GOP. I lean into it.”
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
bob

Kevin McCarthy

Post by bob »

Ben-Prime wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:57 pmSo as I understand it, it's a 50% + 1 vote for the Speaker, right? So if the margin of R over D is low enough, it looks like the final winner is going to have to be a compromise candidate that can pull in D votes. Or am I missing something?
The incoming speaker could make a bevy of promises to ensure a majority vote, i.e., Whip Gaetz, Conference Chair Jordan, [plum] Committee Chair Green, etc. H.R. 1 will be "IMPEACH BRANDON!" and will get a full House vote, etc.

The more interesting move will be if the Democratic Conference delivers its 200+ votes to a moderate Republican.
Image ImageImage
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Kevin McCarthy

Post by Kriselda Gray »

noblepa wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:33 pmEven though 50% + 1 is enough to pass a bill in the House, the R's cannot hope to enact any laws that the D-controlled Senate won't pass and the president won't sign. That might keep them in check, at least a little bit.
I doubt itll keep them too much in check. Theyll likeky see this as an opporunity to try to pass a bunch of crazy stuff to show potential voters what their party wants. They would essentially be saying to voters "We got this thru the House, but if you want the Dems to quit blocking legislation like this, you have to vote them out of them Senate and Presidency.

How effective such a strategy might be will depend a lot on how astutely they can guess what the public really wants. Our best hope is that they'll continue to miss the mark in that
Gupwalla

Kevin McCarthy

Post by Gupwalla »

What’s the current over-under on how many newly elected or re-elected members of Congress will either have indictments unsealed, or else get named, shamed, and referred in the J6C report, in the coming few weeks?

And how does that play into how serious or not we should take House leadership posturing in these early days?
Danraft

Kevin McCarthy

Post by Danraft »

Here’s my thought… The smaller fringe group of MAGA congress critters will have more power than their size would indicate. Since they are the recalcitrant but needed group they will make demands (extortion) for their vote. The bargaining won’t be pretty.

Think about it in the context of Manchin and Sinema in the Senate for the Dems the last two years.

Does that seem accurate?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Kevin McCarthy

Post by AndyinPA »

:popcorn:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Kevin McCarthy

Post by RTH10260 »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:33 pm mtg as well, I believe there will be enough to block him
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/stat ... 9088070662
Ron Filipkowski 🇺🇦 @RonFilipkowski wrote: Marge Greene today on battle for Speaker: “We’re going to fight it out. I’m not afraid of the civil war in the GOP. I lean into it.
Be there many Democrat trees to water :twisted:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Kevin McCarthy

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Even if there's no real chance of a Dem taking the speakers hip, I think they should jominate someone just to remind the pubs how small their hold is... and I'd LOVE it if Dem leadership started locating pubs who are real kosher with the crap their side is likely to throw (such as pointless investigations) and tried to recruit them to change sides. If the pubs hold is small enough and their leadership repugnant enough we can take the House back in a matter of months, not 2 years...

Ok, ok, I know it's a dream, but I gotta do something for fun, y'know!
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Kevin McCarthy

Post by Ben-Prime »

At this point, all pictures of Kevin McCarthy on the internet need to be replaced with an animated gif of the dog who just caught the car by the bumper and has no idea what to do next.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Kendra

Kevin McCarthy

Post by Kendra »

SCOOP:
@RepMTG
's worst fears could soon be coming true.

DON BACON (R-Neb.) tells
@NBCNews
he's willing to work with DEMS to elect a moderate Speaker if 218 Republicans can't agree on a candidate.
@RepDonBacon

w/
@KyleAlexStewart

@jonallendc
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Kevin McCarthy

Post by RTH10260 »

:explode: Nancy Pelosi :twisted:
Dr. Ken

Kevin McCarthy

Post by Dr. Ken »

Andy Biggs lost his rival bid
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Kevin McCarthy

Post by Slim Cognito »

Half of me says eff you Biggs but the other half says eff you McCarthy.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Kevin McCarthy

Post by Ben-Prime »

So as I understand it, it means that 30 of those 31 Republicans will have to vote for him for Speaker over any candidate the Democrats put up, yes?
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
AndyinPA
Verified:

Kevin McCarthy

Post by AndyinPA »

On the other side:

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/11/1 ... 2-00066984
Sen. Rick Scott (R-Fla.) announced a challenge to Mitch McConnell in a closed-door party lunch on Tuesday afternoon, the first such opposition that the Senate GOP leader is facing in 15 years at the helm.

The challenge emerged after Republicans’ disappointing midterm performance provoked a tremendous round of finger-pointing. Scott, who chairs the National Republican Senatorial Committee and got nudged to mount opposition to McConnell by former President Donald Trump, was at odds with the GOP leader over strategy and tactics for months before Election Day.

McConnell says he already has the votes locked up to win a Wednesday leadership election, and Scott is not expected to garner enough support to come close to toppling the leader. But Scott is pressing forward anyway, as a band of conservatives pushes to delay leadership elections until all the Senate races are determined.

McKinley Lewis, a spokesman for Scott, confirmed his leadership bid.
bob

Kevin McCarthy

Post by bob »

Ben-Prime wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:10 pm So as I understand it, it means that 30 of those 31 Republicans will have to vote for him for Speaker over any candidate the Democrats put up, yes?
Not necessarily: The speaker needs to receive only a majority of votes cast, and not votes from a majority of the representatives. Pelosi, for example, in 2021 was elected with only 216 votes. (In addition to Pelosi and McCarthy, two other candidates each received a vote. Three members voted "present." Three members didn't vote, and two seats were still vacant.) But Pelosi won because she received a majority of the 427 votes that were cast. Boehner similarly won in 2015 with only 216 of the 408 votes cast.

So protesting Republicans could just not vote. Or a certain percentage could vote "present," which would run up the threshold required to receive a majority of votes cast. They just have to make sure McCarthy receives a majority of votes actually cast.

And smoked-filled deals are intended to prevent such drama.
Image ImageImage
SuzieC
Verified:

Kevin McCarthy

Post by SuzieC »

We still don't know the final D/R split of the House, do we?
bob

Kevin McCarthy

Post by bob »

SuzieC wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:16 pm We still don't know the final D/R split of the House, do we?
No: Democrats are projected to win 206 (or 207, depending on who you ask), and Republicans are projected to win 217 (or 216). The remaining are too close to call. The majority of uncalled races are in California. Alaska's seat, and one of Maine's, have not been called; both states have ranked-choice voting.

Realistically, the Republicans are going to have a majority; the issue is the size. It'll be small; my guess is they will have no more than 222 seats.
Image ImageImage

Return to “Current Politics”