Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Just Nice Stories

AndyinPA
Verified:

Just Nice Stories

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... re-cancer/
The request came in late on a Thursday afternoon to restaurant owner Steve Chu. One of his customers had terminal cancer, and her son-in-law wondered if it would be possible to get the recipe of her favorite broccoli tempura entree so he could make it for her at her home in Vermont.

Chu, 30, specializes in Asian fusion cuisine and is the co-owner of two Ekiben locations in Baltimore. He read the email on March 11 and instantly knew that he could do better, he said.

He quickly replied with an alternative suggestion:

“Thanks for reaching out,” he wrote. “We’d like to meet you in Vermont and make it fresh for you.”

Brandon Jones, 37, was stunned.

“I emailed back, saying, ‘You do know that this is Vermont we’re talking about, right?’ ” he recalled. “It’s a six-hour drive. But Steve responded, ‘No problem. You tell us the date, time and location and we’ll be there.’ ”
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Just Nice Stories

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/magazine ... table-main
At 11 a.m. each Sunday — labeled by the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. as one of the most segregated hours in Christian America — an Appalachian church goes live on YouTube and Facebook. Organ chords and a rat-a-tat drum beat kick in. Then, in a city that’s 91 percent White, a Black pastor leads a congregation in a theme song that sums up his ministry. “One Lord, one faith, one baptism and I’ll tell it everywhere I go,” the Rev. Darrell Cummings sings in a voice grown gravelly after four decades of preaching, 31 years of that at Bethlehem Apostolic Temple in Wheeling, W.Va.

How the service unfolds — both in-person and during the broadcast segment — hints at that telling. A White choir member sings backup. Instrumentalists are Black. Songs include “Leaning on the Everlasting Arms” — a hymn many Evangelicals would know by heart — and “I Don’t Know Why Jesus Loved Me” from the late gospel artist Andraé Crouch. When it’s time for prayer and scripture reading, both are led by a soberly suited Black deacon and a White woman whose tattoos peek out from her dress. They stand side by side at the front of the church.

Despite the ways the pandemic has made attendance difficult, that diverse mix repeats among the people in the pews at the historically Black church — founded by a Black elder from Philadelphia when West Virginia’s split from Confederate Virginia was still a living memory. Before the global health crisis, the Pentecostal ministry’s 50-some weekly attendees were about 60 percent Black and 40 percent White, according to Cummings’s estimates.

Cummings notes that such things don’t happen by accident. From choosing songs to guest speakers, he says he deliberately forges a worship experience intended to build interracial connections. “We’re not a Black church or a White church,” he explains. “We’re just a church.”
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Awwww... :lovestruck:

Cher Pic.JPG
Cher Pic.JPG (68.46 KiB) Viewed 610 times

Cher.JPG
Cher.JPG (74.65 KiB) Viewed 610 times

Cher 2.JPG
Cher 2.JPG (41.12 KiB) Viewed 610 times

She was ready! Look at how beautifully her birthday was going even before Cher! Big smile.

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

A Box of Cash, a Secret Donor and a Big Lift for Some N.Y.C. Students
When a City College physics professor opened an ordinary box that had been sitting in the mailroom, he was startled by its contents.

By Corey Kilgannon
Dec. 21, 2021

When he returned to teaching in-person this semester, Vinod Menon, a physics professor at City College of New York in Harlem, finally looked through a pile of office mail and found a cardboard box the size of a toaster.

The box, heavy enough to warrant $90 in postage for priority U.S. mail, was addressed to “Chairman, Physics Department” — his title.

Maybe it was a token of thanks from a former student, Dr. Menon thought, as he inspected the package, which was postmarked Nov. 10, 2020. It had been sitting for more than nine months, first in the campus mailroom and then in the physics office.

For Dr. Menon, 49, who specializes in nano- and microphotonics, an exciting moment usually comes in a campus laboratory with some breakthrough in the exploration of the way light interacts with matter on a quantum level.

But the matter contained in the cardboard box gave him quite a charge. It was full of $50 and $100 bills bundled in paper bands, totaling $180,000.

An enclosed letter to Dr. Menon explained that the cash was a donation meant to help needy physics and math students at City College.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/21/nyre ... donor.html
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Wow! :lovestruck:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Soldier’s second world war letter to his mother delivered after 76 years
John Gonsalves wrote to his mother when he was stationed in Germany in 1945 but the letter would be lost until this year

Associated Press
Fri 7 Jan 2022 01.39 GMT

A letter sent from a US soldier stationed in Germany to his mother in Massachusetts has been delivered 76 years after it was sent.

Army Sgt John Gonsalves, 22 at the time, wrote to his mother in Woburn in December 1945 after the official end of the second world war, WFXT-TV reported Wednesday.

The letter would sit unopened for more than 75 years before being found in a US Postal Service distribution facility in Pittsburgh.

:snippity:

Gonsalves died in 2015. His mother has died as well. But the USPS found an address for his widow, Angelina, whom the soldier met five years after he sent the letter.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... r-76-years
AndyinPA
Verified:

Just Nice Stories

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... van-zandt/

Rep. Jamie Raskin
As he noticed his hair falling out, “I immediately thought about Little Steven, who I’ve always loved,” he said, referring to rock-and-roll musician Steven Van Zandt. “Little Steven was my inspiration.”

Van Zandt — who is a member of Bruce Springsteen’s E Street Band, and played consigliere Silvio Dante on “The Sopranos” — is known for his trademark bandannas.

When Van Zandt heard that Raskin had been crediting him for his own chemo head covering, he was touched.

“That was an honor to me, and I wanted to reciprocate that wonderful gesture,” said Van Zandt, who is on tour and decided to send Raskin some bandannas from his own supply. “I just wanted to show a little solidarity.”

He put together a package in his hotel room.

“I sent him five scarves from my personal collection here on the road, and when I get home in a few weeks, I’ll send him some more,” Van Zandt said.
Patagoniagirl

Just Nice Stories

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Damn, I need this. There are many untold stories like this but I feel buried by the ugly reality of our politics.

Return to “General Stuff”