Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Climate Change News

AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Climate Change News

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2022/04 ... -cmd-intl/
Bringing the catch home is becoming an increasingly treacherous task in this Icelandic fishing village. As much of the world worries about sea levels rising and swallowing up land, the community here has the opposite problem — the sea level is falling.

Sea lagoons that surrounding the village of Höfn — pronounced hup, as if you have the hiccups — are becoming shallower and harder to navigate. The tides come in and out with less force than they used to, causing the channel that fishing boats pass through to slowly fill up with sediment.

“The big ships, when they're coming fully laden with capelin or herring, the keels of the ships are going to be quite close to the bottom. So there is an increased danger that they will hit the bottom, which could lead to leaks in the hull, financial loss or a shipwreck,” said Þorvarður Árnason, director of the University of Iceland’s research center in Höfn.

:snippity:

Höfn sits in the shadow of Iceland’s largest ice cap, Vatnajökull. For centuries, the mighty weight of Vatnajökull has compressed the ground underneath it. But global warming is causing these ice caps and glaciers to melt rapidly, now faster than at any point in the last 200 years. As they disappear, the ground is literally rising.
Interesting graphics.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate- ... on-ruling/
CLIMATE & ENVIRONMENT
Appellate court rules Biden can consider climate damage in policymaking

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit stayed a Louisiana federal judge’s order blocking the federal government from calculating the cost of climate change
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.treehugger.com/cambridge-en ... nt-5323668
Cambridge Engineers Develop Zero Carbon Cement
This could totally rewrite the story of concrete and steel.

Engineers at Cambridge University claim to have invented the "world's first-ever zero-emissions cement" that they're calling Cambridge Electric Cement. The team—consisting of Dr. Cyrille Dunant, Dr. Pippa Horton, and Prof. Julian Allwood—is part of UK Fires, an organization we covered for its Absolute Zero report. While Vitruvius and Roman engineers that invented pozzolanic cement might argue about priority, Cambridge Electric Cement is a real accomplishment in the modern age.

The basic problem of cement starts with chemistry and the formula CaCO3 + heat > CaO + CO2; you cook calcium carbonate at 1,450 degrees Celsius (2,642 degrees Fahrenheit) with lots of fossil fuel and you get clinker and lots of carbon dioxide (CO2). This is what the industry has called the "chemical fact of life." Clinker is ground into powder and mixed with other ingredients to get cement. Cement is then mixed with aggregate, mainly gravel and sand, to make concrete, which is reinforced with steel to make buildings and structures.

You can reduce the emissions from the cooking of calcium carbonate, but you can't do anything about the chemistry. This is the fundamental reason that we have called concrete the most destructive material on earth and recently complained about concrete icebergs.

The Cambridge Electric Cement changes the equation. According to the press release, Dunant noticed that "used" cement separated from recycled concrete was virtually identical to the lime flux that is used to remove impurities from steel in both electric arc and basic oxygen furnaces, and which floats on top of molten steel to protect it from oxidizing. It ends up as slag, usually considered a waste product but that is full of calcium oxide—a key ingredient in the clinker used to make cement. The Cambridge team ground up the slag into a powder and found that it "is virtually identical to the clinker which is the basis of new Portland cement."1
Cement-Process-Comparison-2048x1123-c11ff9940b6749aa8d39d9e683ca6b21_1_kindlephoto-4012193.jpg
Cement-Process-Comparison-2048x1123-c11ff9940b6749aa8d39d9e683ca6b21_1_kindlephoto-4012193.jpg (43.44 KiB) Viewed 1246 times
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Does this mean that in abandoned steel mill country the landfills will be opened to retrieve the dumped slag?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... sil-expert
The climate crisis may lead the human race to shrink in size, as mammals with smaller frames appear better able to deal with rising global temperatures, a leading fossil expert has said.

Prof Steve Brusatte, a palaeontologist at the University of Edinburgh, suggested that the way in which other mammals have previously responded to periods of climate change could offer an insight into humans’ future.

He likened the potential plight of people as similar to that of early horses, which became smaller in body size as temperatures rose around 55m years ago, a period called the Paleocene Eocene Thermal Maximum.

“There’s a great fossil record across this global warming event, it’s really the most recent big global warming event in the geological record,” he said. “The two plots are eerie, how similar they are.”
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer

At 4'11", I'm ready!
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

shrinkage? George Costanza approves.

neeneko

Post by neeneko »

I am picturing a return to earlier ideas of beauty, placing overweight americans at the top of the aesthetic pyramid because you can only get like that if you can afford both fatty food AND air conditioning.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

No, we won't shrink like pre-human mammals. We will conquer climate change and learn to implement climate control, after the disasters start. Billions will die, but our science will triumph.

Or not, I probably won't be around for it. :shrug:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Tiredretiredlawyer

The White Board cometh.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2022/6 ... hange-lies
House Natural Resources Committee sets its sights on publicists who helped push climate change lies

A leaked admission from a now-fired ExxonMobil lobbyist has apparently inspired Democrats on both the Natural Resources Committee and Oversight and Investigations Subcommittee to add publicists to their purview as they investigate Big Oil’s climate change lies. Natural Resources Committee Rep. Raúl M. Grijalva and Oversight and Investigations Subcommittee Chair Rep. Katie Porter sent out a joint letter on Monday to five public relations firms seeking information on the work they've done on behalf of oil and gas companies, along with a separate letter addressed to the American Petroleum Institute, a powerful industry trade group the lawmakers say “plays a major, active role in climate disinformation.”

The firms—FTI Consulting, Story Partners, DDC Advocacy, Blue Advertising, and Singer Associates—have worked on behalf of clients like Exxon, Venture Global LNG, pro-fossil fuel advocacy groups and PACs, the American Petroleum Institute, and Chevron. Lawmakers are seeking relevant information related to those firms’ dealings with the oil and gas industry dating as far back as Jan. 1, 2013, with a deadline of June 27. That same request was made of the American Petroleum Institute in identical no-bullshit terms:

“For decades, fossil fuel companies and associates have engaged in public relations campaigns to downplay the threat of climate change and the central role fossil fuels have played in causing it. These influence campaigns were intended to prevent the country from taking critical steps to address the climate crisis. Fossil fuel companies have partnered with PR firms to use a variety of questionable tactics to undermine legislative and regulatory environmental initiatives.”

Exxon later distanced itself from McCoy and said he was no longer an employee, though it’s unclear if the lobbyist was fired or left on his own accord. At the time, Exxon CEO Darren Woods apologized for McCoy’s comments and said they didn’t represent the company’s position and that he enthusiastically supported a carbon tax. That’s laughable considering its shady dealings with even putting out a proposed carbon tax policy, which would’ve included receiving immunity from lawsuits. The Climate Leadership Council—a pro-carbon tax coalition that includes companies like Shell, ConocoPhillips, and BP—later suspended Exxon’s membership, proving the fossil fuel company was too toxic even for its fellow polluters.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Forecast for 36 years in the future, reality in only eight. :crying:
Sylvain Perdigon @sylvaindarwish wrote: In 2014, this French weather presenter announced the forecast for August 18, 2050 as part of a campaign to alert to the reality of climate change. Now her forecast that day is the actual forecast for the coming 4 or 5 days, in mid-June 2022.
► Show Spoiler
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
tek

Post by tek »

For non-celsius folks like me, a handy conversion for reading those maps is 40C = 104F
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Europe from Spain north is this week expieriencing an early heatwave, unusual for mid June, with widespread temperatures of 30+C, origin is hot N.African air (Sahara).
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

tek wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:19 am For non-celsius folks like me, a handy conversion for reading those maps is 40C = 104F
Also, France is at the same latitude as Michigan.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

(C x 1.8) + 32 = F
(F -32)/1.8 = C

If you can't remember 1.8, think about the Dolly Parton song 9 to 5 (workin nine to five ...)
9/5 is 1.8
Tiredretiredlawyer

Thank you, bill_g. I never evah saw this easy conversion formula! ;)
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I'm pretty good with kilometers and can roughly figure that out quickly. I know how to convert Celsius, but I've been to so many places that use Celsius that I don't even bother. I know my sweet spot is 20, and I'm going to be miserable when it gets close to 30. I've been in Europe in August when it was 39 or 40. That's unbearable for me. I don't like hot weather. (One of my phone weather apps reads Celsius.) I get a meter, but for some reason, I'm terrible at converting millimeters.

Speaking of hot weather, I barely tolerated the three days here without AC after the lightning strike Tuesday morning. The heat index was over 100 degrees. The temp went to about 95 degrees, but the dew point was 71. We rarely get that hot and humid here, usually only hitting 90 a few times a summer. Not that it doesn't get hot* warm and humid here, just that that was unusually hot for June. I couldn't get a thing done. I felt like I was moving underwater. I pushed as much liquid as I could. Generally, I know I don't drink enough liquid. I went out yesterday to run some errands and see my husband in rehab, and I immediately felt better in AC.

I kept thinking of the temps in India that were at 115 and above, and I don't know how they would have survived that, literally. Climate change is a bitch.
Off Topic
So far, the damage from the lightning strike has been fixable. We got internet and cable back quickly. We needed all new equipment. The guy just came out to check the furnace for the AC, and it's working again. Monday, the washer repairman comes out. We've been lucky so far, so I'm really keeping my fingers crossed on that one. There are a few other things that were fried, but they were minor.
*The weather people don't call it hot here until it hits 90; 89 is just still warm. :shrug: But not for me. I could never be a snowbird. The older I get, so far, the better I like the cold.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Andy in PA:
*The weather people don't call it hot here until it hits 90; 89 is just still warm. :shrug: But not for me. I could never be a snowbird. The older I get, so far, the better I like the cold.
Same here. In the last century, when I was in my 20's I could play tennis in high humidity and heat. I could also bicycle long distances, jog a 10K and walk forever. We lived in Camden, then El Dorado, Arkansas, during much of that time. El Dorado (pronounced L Door Ray Dough) is 30 miles due north of the northern Louisiana border.

Hubby and I both prefer cooler climes for vacations.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Off Topic
Yeah, we've been to Alaska and Norway in the winter. Absolutely invigorating! We've been going out West in the middle of the summer the last few years because we've taken my granddaughter during summer vacation, so we've put up with more heat than normal for a trip. This is the last cross-country trip we're taking her on because it's not fair at this point to her brother, but he's ADHD and could never handle the time on a train. We did promise to take him to Chicago next summer, so he's pretty happy about that. But we plan without the grandkids to get back to cooler vacations!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.reuters.com/business/enviro ... 022-06-22/
MADRID, June 22 (Reuters) - Seville has introduced a pioneering system to name and classify frequent heatwaves that affect the city in Spain's arid south, which will tie meteorological forecasts to health impacts, Seville Mayor Antonio Munoz said.

The pilot project comprises three categories and will alert the population up to five days in advance of a heat event, he said in a statement late on Tuesday.

"We are the first city in the world to take a step that will help us plan and take measures when this type of weather event happens," the mayor said.
I think The Weather Channel was talking about doing this here the other day.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Spoke with our older daughter this morning.

Day after day of triple digit high temperatures. Yard work has to be done first thing in the morning.

We have agreed to pay half for a professional yard service.

We expect the city will ban lawn watering this coming week.

Return to “Climate Change”