Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Russia

Dave from down under

Russia

Post by Dave from down under »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-01-11/ ... /101828556

Russian mercenaries from the Wagner group owned by a key Putin ally are stoking influence in resource-rich Central African Republic
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Russia

Post by Maybenaut »

Dave from down under wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:06 pm Will it be accompanied by the usual tug and back up tug should any one ship break down?
Reminds me of an old joke from the Soviet era: A government official is set to deliver a reward to a factory that is exceeding its production schedule. The plant manager takes the official on a tour of the factory, and explains that the factory operates three shifts so it cal keep up with demand.

“What do you make?” the official asks.

“We make signs.”

“What do the signs say?”

“Elevator out of order.”
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Russia

Post by RTH10260 »

I guess they still cannot keep up with demand for all those signs that need to be put up next to windows :twisted:
RTH10260

Russia

Post by RTH10260 »

Putin scolds defence industry minister in televised meeting for ‘fooling around’
Russian leader publicly berated Denis Manturov, eye-rolling and shuffling papers during the live call, as his war in Ukraine caused fresh problems

Samantha Lock
Fri 13 Jan 2023 04.07 GMT

Vladimir Putin has publicly scolded a senior minister and ally during a meeting broadcast on state television as sanctions from the stalling war in Ukraine caused fresh economic headaches for the Russian president.

Speaking during a live video call with officials on Wednesday, the Russian leader appeared agitated and berated deputy prime minister Denis Manturov, who is also his trade and industry minister and responsible for overseeing Russia’s weapons and defence industry and supplies of equipment for troops. Putin criticised him for working too slowly on the country’s aircraft contracts, according to a transcript of the call later published by the Kremlin.

Manturov, who has accompanied the president on several trips and is thought to have his favour, attempted to justify the delays, explaining that his ministry was set to build helicopter engines in St Petersburg that were previously manufactured in Ukraine when Putin rolled his eyes and replied: “Too long, [it is taking] too long … I ask you to expedite this work.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... ing-around

comment: what could go wrong with this :think:
Suranis

Russia

Post by Suranis »

If Putin is in the "humiliating his ministers to stay in power" stage of things, we might, might be nearing endgame. That can work for a while, but you push it too far and suddenly everyone turns on you to keep their position and you are out on your windowsill.
Hic sunt dracones
Dave from down under

Russia

Post by Dave from down under »

Or
Out of your window..
RTH10260

Russia

Post by RTH10260 »

re the Russian helicopter engine disaster

Must amount to Putins "Brexit-Moment", too late realizing the economical dependancies. Did he think he would invade Ukraine and just get a working factory as welcome present?

The factory would have been destroyed by the time his troops would have arrived. With much luck and a dedicated special operations assault they might have got their hands on the hardware. But I guess much would have been at least sabotaged by that time. All the specialized workforce would have fled, how to operate specialized NC machines without operations and maintenance manuals?

One can assume that in the case of danger, the stock of special high endurance metals would have been removed. How would they get their hand on the engineering drawings and production manuals?

Now of course the minister faces the problem to find NC machines on the local Russian market. Including computers to drive them. Not to speak of the special metals required for high performance engines. Of course some knowhow is available from the existing helicopter factories, but trained manpower will be at a premium. Some of the workforce may even have left the country, one never knows when the military thinks of canibalizing workforce of its own supply chain
:blackeye:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Russia

Post by Foggy »

Isn't this something like the airplane situation? IIRC, the parts manuals and maintenance/repair instruction manuals are available only online, because it's silly to waste money printing them out.

And we managed to cut them off from airplane manuals online.

I don't understand how much different this could be. :confuzzled:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Russia

Post by Foggy »

And I think JohnPCapitalist might have something to say about the level of technological expertise needed to manufacture helicopter engines successfully. :batting:
RTH10260

Russia

Post by RTH10260 »

And Gregg knows something about flying machines from a generation later than the steam engine ;)
RTH10260

Russia

Post by RTH10260 »

I guess there may be some delay in the five year plan .... :biggrin:
World’s largest helicopter to replace Ukrainian engines with Russian in 2023

Posted on June 26th, 2018
by ES in Aerospace, Air Transport, Russia, Trending, Ukraine

The Ukraine-built Motor Sich D-136 is to be replaced by new Russian PD-12V engines on the Mi-26 (Leonid Faerberg / Transport-photo)
Mil Mi-26, the world’s largest series-built helicopter, is to be re-engined with new Russian PD-12V turboshafts in 2023, creating a rejuvenated version of the giant helicopter, an industry source has told ATO.ru, Russian Aviation Insider’s sister publication.

The Soviet/Russian Mi-26 is currently powered by two Ukrainian Motor Sich D-136 turboshaft engines, the supply of which stopped following the on-going Crimea conflict between Ukraine and the Russian Federation.

Initial flight tests of the re-engined super heavy rotorcraft are due to start in 2023 and approval for the manufacture of the pre-serial batch is expected in 2025. This plan is in line with the statement of Andrey Boginsky, the head of Russian Helicopters, who revealed in May that flight trials of the re-envigorated Mi-26 could start after 2022.

The new engine option – the PD-12V turboshaft – is being developed by Perm-based Aviadvigatel, a subsidiary of Russia’s United Engine Corporation (UEC), as a derivative of the PD-14 turbofan, which is lined up to power the Irkut MC-21, Russia’s advanced twin-jet airliner.

The preliminary design review of the PD-12V was completed last year, reveals an information and technical bulletin issued by Aviadvigatel. Completion of the engine prototype and the beginning of its first test runs are planned for 2020. The development process is projected to be concluded in 2025, the bulletin also points out.

The PD-12V is expected to deliver more power than its older Ukrainian counterpart. It can be uprated to 14,000 hp, while the D-136 offers a maximum of only 11,400 hp. The increased power will provide the helicopter with a larger envelope, especially in high-altitude and hot climate conditions. Despite being heavier, the Russian engine will also be 18 per cent more fuel efficient than the Ukraine engine.

https://www.rusaviainsider.com/worlds-l ... s-russian/
RTH10260

Russia

Post by RTH10260 »

The Motor Sich Joint Stock Company (Ukrainian: АТ «Мотор Січ») is a Ukrainian aircraft engine manufacturer headquartered in Zaporizhzhia. The company manufactures engines for airplanes and helicopters, and also industrial marine gas turbines and installations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_Sich

Zaporizhzhia is in the war zone, I don't think they are producing anythin in the hear future.
RTH10260

Russia

Post by RTH10260 »

:shock: :o
Ukrainian aerospace company allegedly supplied military helicopter parts to Russia during war

by Igor Kossov
October 26, 2022 8:50 pm

Motor Sich president Vyacheslav Bohuslaev attends a court hearing in Kyiv on Oct. 24, 2022. He was placed in pre-trial detention without bail for 60 days. (Pavlo Bahmut / Ukrinform / Future Publishing via Getty Images)

Eight months into the full-scale war, a scandal ripped through Ukraine’s defense industry.

Two top executives of Ukraine’s most famous defense contractor, Motor Sich, were detained on Oct. 22 for allegedly collaborating with Russia.

https://kyivindependent.com/national/uk ... during-war
RTH10260

Russia

Post by RTH10260 »

I guess they will now miss the whirly motor
New Engines For Russia’s Heavy-lift Helicopter

by Vladimir Karnozov
June 2, 2016, 10:52 AM

The Mi-26T is currently powered by two Ukrainian D-136 turboshafts. (Photo: Vladimir Karnozov)
Russian engine company Aviadvigatel is developing a turboshaft that can power the Mil Mi-26T, based on the PD-14 turbofan that is now being flown an Il-76 testbed. Current versions of the heavy-lift helicopter use twin D136 engines that were developed by Ivchenko Progress and are in production at Motor-Sich, both companies based in Zaporozhie, Ukraine.

Russian Helicopters deputy general manager Andrei Shibitov told AIN that Russian government customers would prefer the re-engined version. A prototype is expected to fly in 2017, with production examples to follow in 2018 and 2019. At the recent HeliRussia exhibition in Moscow, deputy trade and industry minister Andrei Boginsky said that work on the new engine is proceeding quickly, with his ministry providing extra funding.

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news ... helicopter
Foggy
Dick Tater

Russia

Post by Foggy »

From post #536 above, a description of the war:
the on-going Crimea conflict between Ukraine and the Russian Federation.
It's a Crimea conflict.

I didn't know that. :smoking:
RTH10260

Russia

Post by RTH10260 »

Foggy wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:05 am From post #536 above, a description of the war:
the on-going Crimea conflict between Ukraine and the Russian Federation.
It's a Crimea conflict.

I didn't know that. :smoking:
It's an older article, June 26th, 2018, at the time Putin was only dreaming of integrating all of Ukraine, not only Crimea ;)

I picked two older articles (with dates bolded) cause I was loiking for more info on the industry.
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Russia

Post by johnpcapitalist »

Foggy wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:37 am And I think JohnPCapitalist might have something to say about the level of technological expertise needed to manufacture helicopter engines successfully. :batting:
Yes, indeed. I plead guilty to droning on endlessly about aerospace technology and how the ability to manufacture aircraft and sub-30 nanometer semiconductors separates the poseurs from the real players.

But these days, the thing that separates winners from losers is both technology expertise and supply chain management. We're now seeing the flip side of globalization: concentration of suppliers, which means if one out of the dozens, hundreds or thousands of parts in a complex manufactured product is not available, the whole supply chain collapses and the product's not available. Or shipping between widely spaced manufacturing steps gets interrupted, as happened in 2021 -- at that point, the factories in China were cranking out product but either you couldn't get product on the water or it sat at anchor just outside Los Angeles while the 300 ships ahead of you got unloaded.

Aerospace supply chains are like regular supply chains, except worse, even for US and European-based companies. Supplier concentration at every level is extreme, because of the specialized material, processes and knowledge to make even fairly simple components like bolts. Even seemingly commodity parts like bolts have to be perfect, because the cost of even a partial failure can be enormous. You can't just get 'em at Home Depot in the convenient "contractor pack" of 100.

It's hard enough to keep factories running when you're the US or Europe and your supply chain partners have an incentive to bust their hump to keep you happy. If you're a new pariah like Russia, you just can't plug enough holes in the dike fast enough. That's especially true if you are a kleptocracy where cutting corners and stealing as much as you can today is the way to succeed, ignoring the long-term impact on your future. Any government incentives to develop local industry are immediately pocketed by company executives, and they keep importing from the West instead of actually learning how to build CNC machines or whatever. So you give away your country's ability to produce complex products because you steal all the capital necessary. And when you don't have the capability, there's no reason for your citizens to become educated to learn how to use these technologies or to build the next generation.

When you get your country placed under the widest-ranging sanctions regime in history, there's no way that any non-Russian supplier is going to risk the wrath of the US and try to evade sanctions bans on a large scale. Sure, we'll see independent smugglers arise, but they won't be able to deliver large enough quantities of product consistently enough that Russia will be able to keep armaments factories open consistently. It doesn't look like things are degrading much now, but decay goes exponential over time. In other words, the results of sanctions look like a minor inconvenience until they're not, at which point things collapse faster and faster.

The major problem we're facing right now, as we've seen with some of the captured Iranian drones, is dual-use technology integrated into weapons systems. Those aren't illegal to sell to sanctioned countres, so it's hard to keep them out. And the Ukrainian success at quickly modifying low-cost commercial drones with hobbyist equipment (Raspberry Pi-based systems on board) is ushering in a lot of low-cost improvised flying munitions. These improvised drones are not going to survive when anti-drone systems now under development are deployed at scale, but they'll cause trouble for a few years until that happens.
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Russia

Post by johnpcapitalist »

RTH10260 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:48 am :shock: :o
Ukrainian aerospace company allegedly supplied military helicopter parts to Russia during war

Motor Sich president Vyacheslav Bohuslaev attends a court hearing in Kyiv on Oct. 24, 2022. He was placed in pre-trial detention without bail for 60 days. (Pavlo Bahmut / Ukrinform / Future Publishing via Getty Images)

Eight months into the full-scale war, a scandal ripped through Ukraine’s defense industry.

Two top executives of Ukraine’s most famous defense contractor, Motor Sich, were detained on Oct. 22 for allegedly collaborating with Russia.
It's interesting to note that the Ukrainian government nationalized Motor Sich on November 7. I wasn't aware of this alleged criminal caper by the executives, so the timing of the announcement of the government takeover is indeed interesting. It should be noted that there had been rumblings of a potential move by the government to take over the company as early as March 2021, well ahead of the invasion by Russia.

A key reason to nationalize the company is that it was majority owned by a Chinese aerospace company. I have no information on whether anything like this happened, but it wouldn't surprise me if the US government applied pressure quietly on Ukraine to grab the company back from the Chinese as a quid pro quo for all the weapons we're donating, to prevent the Chinese from getting their hands on jet engine technology they don't already have. Motor Sich makes good stuff but it's not the really cutting-edge products for next-gen fighters that GE and Pratt & Whitney are working on, so while China would get some advantage from access to Motor Sich technology, it's not the keys to the kingdom.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Russia

Post by Frater I*I »

johnpcapitalist wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:55 pm :snippity:

Aerospace supply chains are like regular supply chains, except worse, even for US and European-based companies. Supplier concentration at every level is extreme, because of the specialized material, processes and knowledge to make even fairly simple components like bolts. Even seemingly commodity parts like bolts have to be perfect, because the cost of even a partial failure can be enormous. You can't just get 'em at Home Depot in the convenient "contractor pack" of 100.

:snippity:
Plus for the civilian and commercial aircraft industries you have to meet the requirements and testing standards to get an FAA PMA [Parts Manufacturing Authority] rating.

Of course making stuff that's going for use in DoD aircraft is it's own set of hoops to jump through...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Foggy
Dick Tater

Russia

Post by Foggy »

johnpcapitalist wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:55 pm I plead guilty to droning on endlessly about aerospace technology and how the ability to manufacture aircraft and sub-30 nanometer semiconductors separates the poseurs from the real players.
Don't stop. I'm learning new stuff.
p0rtia

Russia

Post by p0rtia »

:yeahthat:

It's also a pleasant read for those of us who, like me, spend our leisure hours trying to beat back the anti-intellectual propaganda spouted by pinbrains who have somehow been elected to public office. A nice reminder that professionalism and creativity are not dead.
Fiascoist

Russia

Post by Fiascoist »

:yeahthat: to Portia's, Frater's and JohnPCapitalist's comments above.
RTH10260

Russia

Post by RTH10260 »

Putin Rants About Gays and ‘Traitors’ in Bizarro Speech
The Russian leader had absolutely nothing new to say. So he resorted to fear-mongering about Western “pedophilia” and a “gender-neutral God.”

Allison Quinn News Editor
Published Feb. 21, 2023 6:51AM ET

Dozens of Russian lawmakers, military officials, and veterans assembled in Moscow on Tuesday to listen to President Vladimir Putin deliver his first speech to the country’s parliament since the start of his full-scale invasion of Ukraine last year.

But some members of the audience appeared to doze off as the Russian leader, having nothing new to say, resorted to mumbling the same claims about “Nazis” and the West that he has repeatedly used to try and justify his war.

Apparently in an attempt to up the ante, however, he offered a new twist on the Kremlin’s tired claim that Moscow “isn’t at war with the people of Ukraine.”

Instead, he suggested, the battle next door against “neo-Nazis” in the “Kyiv regime” is also an attempt to protect Russia from rampant pedophilia and gender-neutral pronouns.

“Look at what they are doing in the West… They distort historical facts, do not stop their attacks on Russian culture, on the Russian Orthodox Church,” Putin said. “The West is perverting the family, the national identity. They are making pedophilia the norm in their lives, and priests encourage same-sex marriage. Forgive them Father, they know not what they do.”

“The Anglican Church is planning—so far only planning—to look into the idea of a gender-neutral God. What do you say to that?” Putin said.

“We are obligated to protect our children from degradation and degeneracy,” he declared.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/putin-ran ... rro-speech
humblescribe
Verified:

Russia

Post by humblescribe »

Wonder if tfg and his merry men wrote that speech? I mean, you could just substitute appropriate references to the US of A for those of Russia and Ukraine.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
RTH10260

Russia

Post by RTH10260 »

Vladimir Putin accuses west of seeking to ‘dismember’ Russia
Russian leader’s comments on state TV channel follow first anniversary of invasion of Ukraine

Luke Harding in Kyiv
Sun 26 Feb 2023 16.57 GMT

Vladimir Putin has accused the west of seeking to “dismember” Russia and and to turn the vast country into a series of weak mini-states.

In an interview with the state TV channel Rossiya on Sunday, Putin claimed the US and its Nato allies wanted to “inflict a strategic defeat on us”. The aim, he said, was to “make our people suffer”, adding: “How can we ignore their nuclear capabilities in these conditions?”

Russia’s president said this alleged plot had been under way since the collapse of the USSR. “They tried to reshape the world exclusively on their terms. We had no choice but to react,” he said, adding that the west was complicit in Ukraine’s “crimes”.

If Washington got its way, Russia would be divided into Moscow, the Urals, and other disparate regions, he said, claiming there was “written proof” for his assertion.

Putin’s comments follow the first anniversary on Friday of Russia’s full-blown invasion of Ukraine. They are part of an apparent attempt to boost popular support for Moscow’s war of choice by recasting it as a necessary and defensive struggle for Russia’s national survival reminiscent of the Soviet Union’s battle against the Nazis.

The remarks come at a time when Russian troops have made local gains in Ukraine’s east but have failed to achieve a major breakthrough. Moscow’s military focus is to capture the entirety of the Donbas region, much of which remains under Kyiv’s control.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... ber-russia

Return to “Russian Invasion of Ukraine”