NY21 - Stefanik - My Despicable Congresswoman

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Rolodex wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:29 pm I've seen this claim of the J6 "deleting evidence" floating around. Where did it come from? Made up from whole cloth or a spin on something normal?
When the committee closed down (early due to Republicans taking the House) certain notes and working papers were deleted. The hearing minutes and the final report are in the archives, as is evidence collected.

Disclaimer. IIRC and all that
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

This is a gift link to an article in the Washington Post which discussed both the issue of 10,000 troops and the Jan 6 Committee deleting evidence.

Trump says Liz Cheney deleted evidence of Jan. 6 troops. There isn’t any.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Thanks MN, that helps.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Rolodex wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:29 pm I've seen this claim of the J6 "deleting evidence" floating around. Where did it come from? Made up from whole cloth or a spin on something normal?
Faux News.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/house- ... op-sources
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:40 pm
Faux News.
When did they start requiring login/email to read articles?
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Kendra wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:44 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:40 pm
Faux News.
When did they start requiring login/email to read articles?
You don't have to be logged in. You just can't have an ad blocker running.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

:confuzzled: OK, I'm not even smart enough to know if I'm running an ad blocker. Same results in Chrome and Edge.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Kendra wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:12 pm :confuzzled: OK, I'm not even smart enough to know if I'm running an ad blocker. Same results in Chrome and Edge.
Ok, now I'm perplexed. If I try to read it on my iPad, I get the screen saying I have to log in to read the article.

On my laptop, if I try to read it on FireFox (my standard browser) it brings up an overlay saying I have to disable my ad blocker.

I also have Edge on my laptop which does not have an ad blocker. I do use it to log into FoxNews (I have to be logged in to leave snarky replies to their articles). So I was logged in to their site, but logged out to see if I could read the above article. It let me. But was that because I was previously logged it? :shrug:
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Hint: when using a tablet, in the Chrome browser mark the option "use desktop site", Firefox may have similar.

ps. using Android.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:30 pm Hint: when using a tablet, in the Chrome browser mark the option "use desktop site", Firefox may have similar.

ps. using Android.
Hmph, this sounds like more trouble than it's worth for me :towel: :oldlady:

Tried on my Fire tablet (android) in their Silk browser. Still wants an email. I have a couple of throw-away emails I could use if I'm really desperate. :shrug:
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Kendra wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:47 pm
RTH10260 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:30 pm Hint: when using a tablet, in the Chrome browser mark the option "use desktop site", Firefox may have similar.

ps. using Android.
Hmph, this sounds like more trouble than it's worth for me :towel: :oldlady:

Tried on my Fire tablet (android) in their Silk browser. Still wants an email. I have a couple of throw-away emails I could use if I'm really desperate. :shrug:
I did a search on the text of the article, and this looks like the same article, only on Yahoo and accessible -

https://news.yahoo.com/house-jan-6-comm ... 22575.html
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Thanks MN :bighug:
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Whole cloth. Almost. Apparently the Committee deleted videos of some depositions, because they have the transcripts. That's it.

In Fulton County, fuckhead's team filed whatever the hell it is you file demanding that that Jan 6 Committee turn over all the records they're hiding or have purportedly destroyed. Judge McAfee denied the request as moot, because, and I quote, the materials requested "don't exist."
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

p0rtia wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:24 pm Whole cloth. Almost. Apparently the Committee deleted videos of some depositions, because they have the transcripts. That's it.

In Fulton County, fuckhead's team filed whatever the hell it is you file demanding that that Jan 6 Committee turn over all the records they're hiding or have purportedly destroyed. Judge McAfee denied the request as moot, because, and I quote, the materials requested "don't exist."
Wow! thanks for connecting those two things! I remember the Fulton Co ruling - "the stuff you want doesn't exist so denied" but didn't tie that in with the conspiracy to delete J6 committee info. Good to have that response at hand when I'm bored and feel like tangling with idiots.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... ce=twitter
Elise stefanik and i had been speaking for only about a minute when she offered this stark self-assessment: “I have been an exceptional member of Congress.”

Her confidence reminded me of the many immodest pronouncements of Donald Trump (“I would give myself an A+”), and that’s probably not an accident. Stefanik has been everywhere lately, amassing fans among Trump’s base at a crucial moment—both for the GOP and for her future.

Stefanik spent October presiding over the leaderless House GOP’s search for a new speaker—a post that Stefanik, the chair of the conference, conspicuously declined to seek for herself. In a congressional hearing last month, she pressed three of America’s most prominent university presidents to say whether they’d allow students to call for Jewish genocide; directly or indirectly, her interrogation brought down two of them. And for the past several weeks, Stefanik has been making an enthusiastic case for Donald Trump’s return to the White House.
Hit a paywall, so try this: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... a2aa&ei=22

:snippity:
Stefanik has no interest in appearing humble or self-deprecating. When I brought up the Meet the Press interview, she used the same word that Bannon had to describe her performance. “It was a master class in pushing back” against the media, she told me, “and it has been widely hailed.”
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I suppose deleting all the evidence of cops waving in J6 rioters, and cops opening the gates themselves when 500 people were shoving against them.
Hic sunt dracones
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/elise-st ... 07294f5826
New York Rep. Elise Stefanik’s complete archive of press releases has vanished from her congressional website, apparently after former GOP colleague Liz Cheney accused her of morphing “into a total crackpot.”

Like many of her Republican colleagues over the last three years, Stefanik has eased up on the mob that stormed the Capitol in support of former President Donald Trump; she called Jan. 6 defendants “hostages” earlier this month.

Earlier this week, Cheney, a former House member from Wyoming, dug up the statement Stefanik put out on Jan. 6, 2021, in which Stefanik condemns the riot’s “dangerous violence and destruction” and calls for the perpetrators to be “prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.”

Cheney called that statement a “rare moment of honesty” from the diehard Trump ally.

“One day she will have to explain how and why she morphed into a total crackpot. History, and our children, deserve to know,” Cheney said of Stefanik on X, the platform formerly known as Twitter.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona

And poof! Just like that, years of history gone.

Or is it?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

The way-back machine!!!
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... 9254f&ei=9.
Soon after the Jan. 6 assault on the U.S. Capitol, House Republican Conference Chair Elise Stefanik did what many members of Congress did: The New York congresswoman issued a written press release condemning the violence.

“This is truly a tragic day for America,” Stefanik’s statement said. “I fully condemn the dangerous violence and destruction that occurred today at the United States Capitol. Americans have a Constitutional right to protest and freedom of speech, but violence in any form is absolutely unacceptable and anti-American. The perpetrators of this un-American violence and destruction must be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.”

The same press statement went to thank law enforcement, the National Guard, and “the bipartisan professional staff of the United States Capitol for protecting the People’s House and the American people.”
But those interested in reading this press release on the GOP leader’s website will find that the link no long works. The statement, which was here, has been taken down, replaced with text that now reads, “The page you have requested does not exist or is undergoing routine maintenance.”

So, what happened to the original? As Politico reported, Stefanik’s predecessor in the House Republican leadership has a few thoughts on the matter.

It was six days ago when the Wyoming Republican used social media to remind the public of Stefanik’s record. Linking to the New Yorker’s Jan. 6 statement, Cheney wrote, “This is what [Stefanik] said, in a rare moment of honesty, about the January 6 attack on our Capitol. One day she will have to explain how and why she morphed into a total crackpot. History, and our children, deserve to know.”
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Dave from down under wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:49 am The way-back machine!!!
Her opponent in the next election needs to set up a WhatSheSaid site with links to the Wayback Machine snapshots of her prior comments so she can't deny it.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

She will just say

Fake news!

Alt facts!

Etc
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Not sure if he's the anointed one, or if the guy who ran against her in 2022 is also in the running.

https://www.believeinsteve.org/about-steve
Lieutenant Colonel Steve Holden

WHERE I COME FROM

I was born in October of 1972 to David and Helen Jane Holden. My Mother was adopted off tribal lands in Oklahoma by the Indian Tribal Welfare Agency in Tulsa. I grew up in rural Oklahoma, where my grandparents ran a dairy farm. I was a member of Future Farmers of America and 4-H.

In 1992, I graduated from Northeastern Oklahoma A&M Junior College with a degree in Criminal Justice. I then attended The University of Central Oklahoma where I received my degree in Political Science. While commissioned, the Army selected me to attend Syracuse University in a dual master's program in business administration and public administration. I am a certified Defense Financial Manager through the federal government, certified to handle public funds.

My childhood in rural America, as well as my academic pursuits, gave me the perspective that now informs my approach to legislation.

MY MILITARY CAREER

While working on my degree in Political Science at the University of Central Oklahoma, I was commissioned as an Infantry Officer and then served in the Finance Corps.

In 2003, I was sent on my first deployment to Iraq where I was involved in the capture of Saddam Hussein with 4th Infantry Division. In 2005, I was sent on second deployment to Iraq with the 3rd Cavalry Regiment Commanded by LTG(R) H.R. McMaster. I was deployed twice to Afghanistan in 2010 and again in 2013 with the 4th Infantry Division. During my final deployment in Afghanistan I served as a Senior Consultant to the Afghan Air Force helping more than 100 Afghan interpreters and their families find refuge in the United States.

​During my service I have worked in various roles supporting Central Command, Army Audit, and recently as a Government Wide Financial Management Instructor and consultant. More on my recent activities will be shared in the near future.

​I took an oath to defend the Constitution, our country, and our citizens from all enemies, foreign and domestic. I may have retired from the Army, but I remain committed to the oath I made and will continue to observe that oath. This oath begins the story of WHY I have decided to run for public office and to serve as New York’s Congressman in the 21st District.
He ran against Claudia Tenney (NY24) in 2022, so he's district shopping.

Good luck.
raison de arizona

She just can't get enough of kissing that tfg ass.
https://x.com/EliseStefanik/status/1754 ... 32179?s=20
Elise Stefanik @EliseStefanik wrote: My statement on the D.C. Court of Appeals Presidential Immunity ruling:

"The U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit ruling that President Donald Trump does not have immunity from prosecution sets a dangerous precedent, violates our Constitution, and threatens the very bedrock of our nation. President Trump's actions surrounding election integrity were within his official duties as the President as he was investigating legitimate Constitutional questions about the election. The precedent set today by the D.C. Circuit's decision means that future presidents who leave office will likely face politicized prosecutions by the opposing party. The President of the United States must have immunity, like Members of Congress and federal judges, which is necessary for any presidency to function properly. I fully support President Trump's efforts to appeal this unconstitutional ruling to the Supreme Court, where I expect a thoughtful decision to overturn this dangerous precedent."
(emphasis in original)
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Members of Congress have immunity? IIRC that is only for stuff said on the floor during debate, not for defamation in public. And I believe federal judges can get impeached and removed and then have to face the charges. Though most will step down ought such serious accusations be raised.

Return to “U.S. House of Representatives”