NY21 - Stefanik - My Despicable Congresswoman

bob

Post by bob »

Newsweek: Republican Demands 'Full-Fledged Apology' From 'SNL' Over Skit:
A Republican representative is demanding that Saturday Night Live issue a "full-fledged apology" after the show mocked New York Representative Elise Stefanik.

Saturday's episode opened with a sketch parodying the congressional hearing on campus antisemitism. On December 5, the presidents of Harvard, MIT and the University of Pennsylvania discussed measures to address the rise in antisemitism at colleges amid the Israel-Hamas war, with their testimonies prompting uproar online.

An exchange between University of Pennsylvania President Liz Magill and Stefanik has gained particular traction, with conservatives—including North Carolina Representative Greg Murphy—blasting SNL for ridiculing Stefanik while being less harsh on the "progressive" college leaders.

When asked if students "calling for the genocide of Jews" breaks the university's rules against harassment, Magill called it a "context-dependent decision."

"If the speech turns into conduct it, can be harassment, yes," she told Stefanik.

The exchange went viral, with Magill resigning from her post on Saturday. The SNL skit that night starred Ego Nwodim as Harvard President Claudine Gay, Heidi Gardner as MIT's Sally Kornbluth, and Chloe Fineman as Magill, while Chloe Troast portrayed Stefanik.
Image ImageImage
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I'll never understand why some people loudly demand public apologies when there's no way in Hell they're going to get an apology. That's just embarrassing. Just shut up and let it die out on its own.

As in, I never saw the cold open but now I sure as Hell am going to watch it.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
bob

Post by bob »

Slim Cognito wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:11 pm I'll never understand why some people loudly demand public apologies when there's no way in Hell they're going to get an apology.
The Outrage Machine won't feed itself.

There's no serious expectation of an apology; it is just theater, to show toughness (by standing up to a ... comedy show).
Image ImageImage
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

She’s ridiculous.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politi ... rcna129882

Stefanik files complaint against judge in Giuliani, Trump cases
Rep. Elise Stefanik, R-N.Y., filed a complaint today alleging judicial misconduct by a federal judge who has overseen various Jan. 6-related cases.

Stefanik, a staunch ally of former President Donald Trump and member of the House GOP leadership, formally requested an ethics investigation into Howell over what the New York Republican called a “highly inappropriate political speech” by the judge in November.

Howell is also overseeing Giuliani's trial.

The complaint, submitted to D.C. Court of Appeals Chief Judge Sri Srinivasan and first reported by NBC News, pertains to Howell’s remarks Nov. 27 when she accepted an award at a Women’s White Collar Defense Association gala. Stefanik argues that Howell’s remarks were “hardly apolitical” and that the judge’s remarks were “plainly inappropriate, consisting of partisan statements, election interference, and improper extrajudicial statements while criminal cases are pending.”
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona

Spotted at Mar-a-Lago...
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

Hee hee, this after her Meet the Press interview where her bullshit went unchallenged.

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

A non-confrontational but to the point article on Stefanik by the Albany Times-Union.

https://www.timesunion.com/churchill/ar ... 605066.php

Churchill: Trump and Stefanik? That's the ticket

The North Country congresswoman seems increasingly likely to be Donald Trump's presidential running mate
By Chris ChurchillJan 13, 2024

As I write this, the betting websites are still insisting that South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem is the person most likely to be Donald Trump’s running mate. I disagree. Elise Stefanik is the frontrunner.

That’s especially true after her controversial appearance last weekend on “Meet the Press,” which felt more like an audition than an interview — and Stefanik passed with flying colors. The North Country congresswoman was everything Trump would want in a vice president.

Reportedly spunky since her days at the Albany Academy for Girls, if not earlier, Stefanik was combative, and, I have to admit, fairly effective at swatting away the questions posed by host Kristen Welker. More than that, Stefanik was intensely loyal — sycophantic is undoubtedly the better word — to the likely Republican nominee, which, as we all know, is Trump’s favorite quality in a person.

That sycophancy was most obviously absurd when Welker mentioned Trump’s use of the word “hostages” to describe some of the people convicted and imprisoned after the riot at the U.S. Capitol.” Soon after, Stefanik parroted the word.

“I have concerns about the treatment of January 6 hostages,” the town of Saratoga resident said, noting what she described as the weaponization of the federal government against conservatives.

Had Welker mentioned that Trump enjoys Alpine musical traditions, Stefanik would have yodeled her way through the interview. Had Welker mentioned that Trump watches the Boston Bruins, Stefanik would have peppered her answers with references to Bobby Orr. Her every sentence seemed directed at an audience of one.

Hostages. That’s quite a word to use so soon after Hamas terrorists swarmed into Israel and snatched up hundreds of men, women and children of all ages. The implicit comparison of the American justice system to rogue evildoers is, I’d argue, deeply and stunningly unpatriotic.
raison de arizona

Goldman files a censure resolution against Stefanik in part for referring to 1/6ers as hostages. Full resolution at tweet and under spoiler.
Andrew Solender @AndrewSolender wrote: Rep. Dan Goldman introduces a resolution to censure GOP Conference Chair Stefanik in part for referring to Jan. 6 defendants as “hostages”:
► Show Spoiler
raison de arizona

Acyn @Acyn wrote: Goldman: I rise today to introduce a resolution to censure Congresswoman Stefanik…
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona

Been hearing a lot of this as of late.
'She's a killer': Trump eyes Rep. Elise Stefanik as a potential VP pick
The former president has spoken highly of the New York congresswoman, and his allies say she's high on the list of vice presidential prospects.

During a candlelit dinner with Mar-a-Lago members in late December, former President Donald Trump walked around the table as the conversation turned to one of the biggest decisions he’d have to make should he become the Republican nominee: Whom should he pick to be his running mate?

That’s when Rep. Elise Stefanik, the hard-charging upstate New York Republican, came up, according to a person at the dinner table. Attendees around Trump raved about her viral moment just weeks before, when she grilled three university presidents at a congressional hearing about antisemitism on campus.

At the thought of Stefanik as a possible choice for vice president, Trump nodded approvingly.

“She’s a killer,” Trump said, according to the person at the event.

Ever since then, Trump and a growing group of allies have started to look more closely at Stefanik as a running mate, according to eight people familiar with the matter, including people in Trump’s orbit, Stefanik fundraising bundlers and former Trump administration officials.
:snippity:
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-e ... rcna133599
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:nooo:

Just what she's angling for.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona

Still going after Engoron :bored:
raison de arizona

Can't say she doesn't toe the party line.
Acyn @Acyn wrote: Reporter: Do believe E. Jean Carroll?

Stefanik : No of course not

Reporter: A jury found that Trump sexually abused her

Stefanik: The media is so biased

Reporter: It’s not the media, it’s a jury that found he abused E. Jean Carroll
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:crazy:

It seems a waste of time to interview her. He got talked over (I wonder where all the Rs go to perfect that), but he did manage to get a few words in.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

After tfg apparently got Haley and Pelosi mixed up and blamed J6 security issues on Haley, a reporter followed up with Stephanik. Her spin was just so lame. I have no words. :crazy:
raison de arizona

Just sayin’.
IMG_7216.jpeg
IMG_7216.jpeg (152.78 KiB) Viewed 2224 times
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

I called Stefanik's DC office on the afternoon of Jan 6 to see if she and they were okay. I got the distinct impression from the condescension of whoever answered the phone that she was not at the Capitol at the time. I've never heard of her being at the Capitol. Not saying this is wrong, just ruminating.

And yes, the dude who answered the phone was like, "OMG, what is this stupid woman caller concerned about. _We're_ all fine.

Strange experience.
raison de arizona

At the time:
This has been a truly tragic day for America. And we all join together in fully condemning the dangerous violence and destruction that occurred today in our Nation’s Capitol.
https://stefanik.house.gov/2022/1/stefa ... -january-6
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

They never care if presented with evidence. They have so much contempt for their constituents. They know they won't see it, believe it, or care.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... f4f3&ei=13
Liz Cheney Goes Nuclear on ‘Crackpot’ Elise Stefanik, Reminds Her of Original Reaction to January 6

My full statement on the sham January 6th Committee’s illegal obstruction of justice:

“As I said from day one, Nancy Pelosi’s sham January 6th Committee was illegitimate and unconstitutional. It should come as a surprise to no one that Bennie Thompson and Liz Cheney’s fake committee illegally deleted records of their sham investigation and obstructed justice.

The American people deserve full transparency. I applaud Congressman Loudermilk’s efforts to find and decrypt these deleted files and stand by his efforts to bring transparency and accountability.”

This is what ⁦⁦
@EliseStefanik
⁩ said, in a rare moment of honesty, about the January 6 attack on our Capitol. One day she will have to explain how and why she morphed into a total crackpot. History, and our children, deserve to know.
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

I've seen this claim of the J6 "deleting evidence" floating around. Where did it come from? Made up from whole cloth or a spin on something normal?
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Rolodex wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:29 pm I've seen this claim of the J6 "deleting evidence" floating around. Where did it come from? Made up from whole cloth or a spin on something normal?
I don't recall seeing any proof, but you know how hard it is to keep track these days...

Return to “U.S. House of Representatives”