Assault on the Capitol (DC)

Sam the Centipede

Re: Assault on the Capitol (DC)

Post by Sam the Centipede »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:52 pm "Incest with child" seems especially egregious. Isn't that the kind of thing Q-Anon and devout Republicans should be against?
Nah! "Family values", innit?
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:52 pm "Incest with child" seems especially egregious. Isn't that the kind of thing Q-Anon and devout Republicans should be against?
I don’t think he was actually convicted of that.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Maybenaut wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:53 pm
Neither was Hillary Clinton.
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:54 pm
Maybenaut wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:53 pm
Neither was Hillary Clinton.
I know. But this is the kind of bullshit that prosecutors sometimes pull. In their memo to the Court they listed the the stuff he was convicted of (which I think is fair game for the Court to consider in arriving at an appropriate sentence), and a bunch of other stuff he was arrested for but for which there was no conviction.

I’m not defending the guy - he’s an asshole. But that had no business in the sentencing memorandum.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

This podcast got forwarded to me by a military MD with whom I have spoken often and is interesting in its historical perspective….
https://soundcloud.com/david-troy-46323 ... al_sharing
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... e-1260849/
At 5:30 pm on Jan. 6, police were in their third hour of battle with supporters of former President Trump on the steps of the U.S. Capitol. Meanwhile, about a mile away in a suite at the Willard Intercontinental Hotel, Amy Kremer, a conservative activist who organized a major pro-Trump rally near the White House that preceded the violence, apparently had hors d’oeuvres on her mind.

Kremer sent her fellow rally organizers a text preceded by three siren emojis. It was an urgent update.

“We ordered dinner again tonight. Sorry, but we forgot to take orders in the chaos of the event this morning, so we just ordered the same thing as last night. I figured that was better than not eating. Lol,” Kremer wrote. “Cheese & Charcuterie should be here at 6PM and dinner around 7PM.”

An emergency curfew took effect and National Guard troops arrived at the Capitol to clear the remaining crowds at roughly the same time Kremer and her fellow organizers received their cured meats. Three sources, who spoke on the condition of anonymity due to the ongoing investigations into the rally, told Rolling Stone that, along with food, people were drinking champagne in the suite while rioters skirmished with law enforcement at the Capitol complex.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Not exactly Marie Antoinette's cake, but it'll do.

(Yes, I know MA didn't actually say that.)
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
bob

Post by bob »

How to turn 41 into 82:
Image ImageImage
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

The grift goes on, the grift goes on
Bucks keep pounding a rhythm to the brain
La de da de de, la de da de da
101010 :towel:
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Just tourists :whistle:
bob

Post by bob »

Popehat is correct: raising ineffective assistance of counsel on appeal is basically a sure-fire loser. Raising ineffective assistance on habeas is plausible, but one would expect effective counsel to know (and articulate) the difference.
Image ImageImage
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Kendra wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:17 pm

Just tourists :whistle:
Damn that safety switch
tek

Post by tek »

bob wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:35 pm Popehat is correct: raising ineffective assistance of counsel on appeal is basically a sure-fire loser. Raising ineffective assistance on habeas is plausible, but one would expect effective counsel to know (and articulate) the difference.
The difference is immaterial for the outrage and the grift.
:mad:
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

bob wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:35 pm Popehat is correct: raising ineffective assistance of counsel on appeal is basically a sure-fire loser. Raising ineffective assistance on habeas is plausible, but one would expect effective counsel to know (and articulate) the difference.
Even on habeas it’s nearly impossible to succeed. You have to show that counsel’s performance was so bad they weren’t functioning as counsel guaranteed by the Sixth Amendment. In a case where the judge asked the defendant whether he was pleading guilty because he wanted to, that no one forced him to plead guilty, etc., it’ll be extraordinarily difficult.

And any claim of IAC waives attorney-client privilege as to communications related to the IAC claim. That’s where the lawyer gets to point out all the conversations he had with the defendant, all the notes that he kept, and any CYA memos to file that he generated in anticipation of this claim.

We don’t have the direct appeal/habeas distinction where I practice - we’re allowed to supplement the record on direct appeal. I’ve only raised it a handful of times, and only had one IAC claim succeed, but it was really, really, really, really egregious - so bad that the government conceded the issue.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I thoroughly enjoyed The Grief Goes On, but it failed to distract me from "re-entering into the case" by Ford Fischer. I researched the combination and apparently it is okay, as in "entering into a case", but not "entering into a building". It still don't sound right!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Grain of salt, unfamiliar with this source.

A member of the March For Trump team told me
@KylieJaneKremer
had an aide buy "burner phones" to communicate with the White House and Trump team and that "she said it was of the utmost importance" to use cash for the purchase.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... e-1262122/
Some of the organizers who planned the rally that took place on the White House Ellipse on Jan. 6 allegedly used difficult to trace burner phones for their most “high level” communications with former President Trump’s team.

Kylie Kremer, a top official in the “March for Trump” group that helped plan the Ellipse rally, directed an aide to pick up three burner phones days before Jan. 6, according to three sources who were involved in the event. One of the sources, a member of the “March for Trump” team, says Kremer insisted the phones be purchased using cash and described this as being “of the utmost importance.”

The three sources said Kylie Kremer took one of the phones and used it to communicate with top White House and Trump campaign officials, including Eric Trump, the president’s second-oldest son, who leads the family’s real-estate business; Lara Trump, Eric’s wife and a former senior Trump campaign consultant; Mark Meadows, the former White House chief of staff; and Katrina Pierson, a Trump surrogate and campaign consultant.
The plot thickens.

:snippity:
The sources who spoke to Rolling Stone about the phones also describe an incident that occurred around last Christmastime as the “March For Trump” bus tour kicked off in Las Vegas — just before the phones were allegedly purchased. According to the sources, the group stayed at the Trump International Hotel Las Vegas, which is co-owned and managed by the former president’s real estate company. The team member said the group hoped to park their bus, which was emblazoned with logos, a picture of Trump, and a message declaring “PROTECT ELECTION INTEGRITY” in front of the hotel. However, the team member said hotel management initially declined due to political sensitivities and a lack of space in front of the building.

“The hotel manager said, ‘There’s no way in hell you can have that here unless you can have a member of the Trump family on the phone,’” the team member recalls.

Photos reviewed by Rolling Stone showed the bus parked prominently in front of the hotel’s main entrance. According to the team member, it was able to park because of calls from the Kremers to the Trump family.

“Amy and Kylie,” the team member says, “got Eric and Lara on the phone right away.”
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Well sure, I know I only use burner phones to talk to Amy and Kylie. Have to buy them with cash, that's of the utmost, you know it is. :kiss:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

A little penicillin will clear that burning sensation right up.
Image Image Image Image
filly

Post by filly »

I’ve seen Al Watkins claim Pierce is lying and he (Watkins) is still the Shaman’s attorney. Food (organic) fight!
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/aiden-bi ... a1cc0dc38c
He Attacked Cops At The Capitol Riot. Then He Went To Air Force Basic Training.
Aiden Bilyard, who was known to online sleuths as #HarvardSweats, smashed out a window at the Capitol and attacked law enforcement.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Seems touristy.
bob

Post by bob »

Too much heaven on their minds, indeed.

Beeks is a B'way actor who recently played Judas in a national touring company. Beeks, who also impersonates Michael Jackson, was identified because he was wearing ... a Michael Jackson jacket. :doh:
Image ImageImage
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Someone twitted a video of him singing. Poor sound and video quality, but I don’t know how he earns a living singing. :sick:

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”