Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Assault on the Capitol (DC)

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: Assault on the Capitol (DC)

Post by raison de arizona »

Kendra wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:36 am https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/stat ... 9895486464
HAPPENING NOW: Robert Packer of Newport News, Virginia is pleading guilty in Jan 6 case.

Packer was accused of wearing the CAMP AUSCHWITZ sweatshirt inside Capitol. He was in crowd that broke apart a sign with Speaker Pelosi's name on it
Scott MacFarlane @MacFarlaneNews wrote: Packer agrees to talk to FBI as part of plea deal... and allows FBI to review his social media accounts

Maximum sentence 6 months in prison

Maximum fine of $5000
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:34 am
Packer agrees to talk to FBI as part of plea deal... and allows FBI to review his social media accounts

Maximum sentence 6 months in prison

Maximum fine of $5000
:shark2:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

200 People Have Pleaded Guilty In The Jan. 6 Insurrection. Here Are All The Cases.

(yes, there's a searchable chart)
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

#JohnSprayne Markus Maly, 47, of Fincastle, Virginia https://justice.gov/usao-dc/pr/virginia ... tol-breach

TODAY: Justice Dept to seek 15+ years in prison for Capitol riot defendant Markus Maly, who allegedly deployed chemical spray at police, stole police riot shield as trophy, confronted police in tunnel & "sent a Facebook message to his wife telling her “we took the f*** capital"
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

STANDBY: Sentencing is beginning in Jan 6 case of Nicholas Languerand of South Carolina, who pleaded guilty to assault. Feds accuse him, among other things, of throwing audio speaker at police. Accused of violent history & prior stalking.
Feds to seek 51 months in prison
FLASH: Judge sentences Nicholas Languerand to 44 months in prison in Jan 6 US Capitol assault case.

Less than prosecutors recommended. Judge calls it "significant" prison sentence, acknowledged Languerand's remorse, military service and "unusually difficult" childhood
Resume18

Post by Resume18 »

Kendra wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:33 pm
STANDBY: Sentencing is beginning in Jan 6 case of Nicholas Languerand of South Carolina, who pleaded guilty to assault. Feds accuse him, among other things, of throwing audio speaker at police. Accused of violent history & prior stalking.
Feds to seek 51 months in prison
FLASH: Judge sentences Nicholas Languerand to 44 months in prison in Jan 6 US Capitol assault case.

Less than prosecutors recommended. Judge calls it "significant" prison sentence, acknowledged Languerand's remorse, military service and "unusually difficult" childhood
I call bullshit.
Like as the waves make towards the pebbled shore,
So do our minutes hasten to their end . . .
raison de arizona

Resume18 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:24 pm
Kendra wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:33 pm https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/stat ... rT5qApAAAA

I call bullshit.
Sounds about white. Or do judges regularly take into account difficult childhoods during sentencing for other races?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Something all tourists do.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Wow, there was one slightly less assholey tourist among the mob.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:30 am Wow, there was one slightly less assholey tourist among the mob.
Probably someone who started to realize the whole thing was crime-y.

The anger! It’s like watching fourth graders having a tantrum.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

THREAD:

THE REFRAIN - One after another, Jan 6 defendants who seek leniency have used the phrase "caught up" to explain their actions

My updated list:

"Caught up in the moment"
"Emotionally caught up in politics"
"Caught in momentary lapse of judgment"

(MORE)
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
raison de arizona

It seems like all the Jan6ers on pretrial release in MI keep testing positive for marijuana.

Anthony Puma has two positive tests. Jermiah Caplinger had even more than that.
Isn't Marijuana semi-legal in Michigan? I have no sympathy for these guys, but honestly have a big So What for this news. I get that it is still illegal on a federal level and they are on pre-trial release, if they agreed to stay away then I suppose they are in violation.

But really. Let the poots smoke pot. Who cares. They'll be cut off soon enough in prison.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Avoiding drugs (and alcohol) is often a condition of pre-trial release.
raison de arizona

pipistrelle wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:34 pm Avoiding drugs (and alcohol) is often a condition of pre-trial release.
I get that, but marijuana has a lot of medicinal benefits. Perhaps just require them to get a prescription as opposed to straight recreational. I'm not necessarily averse to throwing them in the pokey, but I'm averse to throwing them in the pokey solely for marijuana usage in a legal state. That said, I wish Congress would get off their ass on the issue and get something going on a federal level.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/quick-re ... e5f51634bd
The Comfort Inn location just off the interstate has three stars on Yelp, where reviewers noted it had free parking and free breakfast, but poor WiFi. It did well on TripAdvisor too, although one person reported they found a dead roach in the shower.

As a staging ground for an alleged seditious conspiracy, however, it was a pretty solid choice. The Comfort Inn Ballston had rooms available for members of the right-wing Oath Keepers organization at a reasonable rate. The hotel’s luggage carts were strong enough to lug the bins of weapons, ammunition and supplies that they wheeled in to prepare for Jan. 6, 2021. Its location right off the ramp to Route 66 eastbound, outside of rush hour, can get you to the U.S. Capitol in a hurry. Critically, it was located in the state of Virginia, where the alleged co-conspirators wouldn’t have to worry about those pesky D.C. gun laws until it was time to take over the federal government. Then the laws wouldn’t matter.
bob

Post by bob »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:41 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:34 pm Avoiding drugs (and alcohol) is often a condition of pre-trial release.
I get that, but marijuana has a lot of medicinal benefits. Perhaps just require them to get a prescription as opposed to straight recreational. I'm not necessarily averse to throwing them in the pokey, but I'm averse to throwing them in the pokey solely for marijuana usage in a legal state. That said, I wish Congress would get off their ass on the issue and get something going on a federal level.
A defendant can always request a modification to the conditions of pre-trial release. A judge would expect, at the very minimum, evidence that marijuana is both medically necessary and other options are impractical.

But, as pipistrelle noted, conditions of release typically place restrictions on otherwise legal activities.
Image ImageImage
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

I could see a standard no alcohol or drugs condition for these folks. They have displayed a lack of impulse control and so, you do not want to open the door for drugs that will impact an emotional state and potentially reduce control of emotions and impulses. As Bob mentioned, they could always ask the court upfront for an exemption.

While in some places it is easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission, the court is not one of those places. In addition, being candid and upfront with the court through the process can be beneficial in the end. Ask first. If it appears to the court and the supervision folks that you are just giving the middle finger to the court the minute you leave the building, they won't thank you for that.
101010 :towel:
raison de arizona

Yeah, I can agree with that. They certainly need to adhere to the restrictions that they agreed to. *sigh*

Thx.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

all i was thinking was that the MJ might mellow them out.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Jim

Post by Jim »

Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:22 pm all i was thinking was that the MJ might mellow them out.
MJ can also cause paranoia which is the last thing these people need.
When you use cannabis, certain compounds in it, including THC, the psychoactive compound in cannabis, bind to endocannabinoid receptors in various parts of your brain, including the amygdala. Your amygdala helps regulate your response to fear and related emotions, like anxiety, stress, and — wait for it — paranoia.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Feds say they found the following in search of a Florida Jan 6 defendant's home:

"Agents recovered a roll of “Q” stickers & a photograph of a Democratic Member of Congress w/ a shooting target superimposed over her body & a beret w/ a hammer and sickle symbol on her head"
bob

Post by bob »

"Agents recovered a roll of “Q” stickers & a photograph of a Democratic Member of Congress w/ a shooting target superimposed over her body & a beret w/ a hammer and sickle symbol on her head"
I'll take the over on it being AOC.
Image ImageImage
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

bob wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:27 pm
I'll take the over on it being AOC.
Or speaker Pelosi.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:41 pm
THC is an absolute protection against Covid isn't it?
Has everybody heard about the bird?

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”