Assault on the Capitol (DC)

Suranis

Re: Assault on the Capitol (DC)

Post by Suranis »

Yes, these guys love America, so obviously they are remorseful and deserve low sentences as they are just misguided patriots and if you talk softly to them they will see the error of their ways. You see.

prison.jpg
prison.jpg (50.98 KiB) Viewed 1235 times
Hic sunt dracones
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Full contact chemical tourism.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:22 pm Full contact chemical tourism.
https:// twitter.com/patriottakes/status/1446578950004674565?s=20
You beat me to it. Just tourists :whistle:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

noblepa wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:35 am
Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:32 am Always reminds me of Will Rogers, “I belong to no organized party; I am a Democrat,”
Or the old joke that, when Democrats form a firing squad, they stand in a circle.
Both R and D stand in a circle. Difference is Ds face inward Rs face outward. Ds face the consequences if they miss the target. Rs shoot everything EXCEPT the target and themselves.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Anthony Vuksanaj of New York has pleaded not guilty in Jan 6 case. Feds allege they seized Vuksanaj’s phone in June 2021 robbery probe (he denied involvement). Then Feds cited phone evidence in Jan 6 charging document

Back in court Oct 22
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

I don't know if I should be concerned or not.

Several of the insurrectionists have plead guilty to misdemeanors and been given pretty light sentences, like 45 days.

I realize that these are the ones who were perhaps just swept up in the moment and were not the ringleaders or the ones who did the real damage to the building, but THEY PARTICIPATED IN AN ATTEMPTED COUP D'ETAT, for crying out loud.

Please tell me that these defendants are the low hanging fruit for the prosecutors and that the ringleaders and the truly violent ones will get serious prison time. Some of them deserve, IMHO, to spend a decade or more behind bars.
bob

Post by bob »

Low-hanging fruit plus less violent/serious charges plus "promptly" admitted guilt.

Whether this strategy will encourage more pleas or yield higher fruit remains to be seen.
Image ImageImage
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

bob wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:25 pm Low-hanging fruit plus less violent/serious charges plus "promptly" admitted guilt.

Whether this strategy will encourage more pleas or yield higher fruit remains to be seen.
That's my hope.

I sincerely hope that, when some of those charged with more serious offenses (to which they have plead not guilty) go to trial, they will be convicted and sentenced to some very heavy prison time.

Twenty years for some of them is not too much, IMHO.

My fear, though, is that even the most egregious offenders will be given a slap on the wrist.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

I'm good with a felony conviction and a short sentence. Then their 2A RTKBA is gone forever, and in some states like FL, so is their vote. Poof, gone. Let them stew in the World they helped create. They need to experience the high unemployment, lack of opportunity, and lack of affordable housing brought on by the stigmatization of criminal behavior and gutting of societal forgiveness.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

bill_g wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:46 am I'm good with a felony conviction and a short sentence. Then their 2A RTKBA is gone forever, and in some states like FL, so is their vote. Poof, gone. Let them stew in the World they helped create. They need to experience the high unemployment, lack of opportunity, and lack of affordable housing brought on by the stigmatization of criminal behavior and gutting of societal forgiveness.
With you on this, but Florida has, at least theoretically, given the vote back to felons who have done their entire sentence, (including all the fines and fees that we won't tell them how much to pay, which kind of makes it a theory not a practice)
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

bill_g wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:46 am I'm good with a felony conviction and a short sentence. Then their 2A RTKBA is gone forever, and in some states like FL, so is their vote. Poof, gone. Let them stew in the World they helped create. They need to experience the high unemployment, lack of opportunity, and lack of affordable housing brought on by the stigmatization of criminal behavior and gutting of societal forgiveness.
I'm with you on most of that, but I want them to spend at least a handful of years in prison as well. I'd be OK with 5-10. They won't suffer all that much stigma with a one year sentence, they need to spend enough years in prison that it's absolutely impossible to explain the amount of time unemployed by any other explanation of than "I was in prison".
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

RVInit wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:56 pm
I'm with you on most of that, but I want them to spend at least a handful of years in prison as well. I'd be OK with 5-10. They won't suffer all that much stigma with a one year sentence, they need to spend enough years in prison that it's absolutely impossible to explain the amount of time unemployed by any other explanation of than "I was in prison".
Perhaps not enough stigma, but they can't get their guns back and more to the point, they can't be AROUND guns and they can't be around other felons, which severely limits their ability to poot. And if they are found to be fondling guns, or be around other people fondling guns, they can be arrested, charged, and convicted of gun fondling again. Hardcore poots may not care, but eventually your friends are going to not want to associate with you.
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

I agree with Azastan: the felons' ban on gun-fondling not only will pain them and mark them out to their fellows, but also gives law enforcement a large hammer to smack them with if they misbehave, as they probably will. I think prosecutors should aim for a felony conviction for insurrectionists as the default, with misdemeanor pleas accepted only in return for serious cooperation and admission of guilt. But clearly the logistics of getting all these criminals through the courts is a significant factor.

Felons having the vote doesn't bother me: the European view is generally that everybody has a vote as a human right and being deprived of it is not allowed for (almost) any reason. And do a few votes matter in the wider scheme of things? Not really, it's not a hill to die on.

But sentencing: yes, it should reflect the seriousness of an attempt to overthrow the government. The late Terry Trussell got about 7 years for play acting with his Pinheads' Granola Jury, isn't participating in an armed insurrection worse?
Mr brolin
Verified: ✅ as vaguely humanoid

Post by Mr brolin »

With the lax sentences they are being hit with, no loss of 2A rights

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/identify-p ... justice%3B

Identify Prohibited Persons
The Gun Control Act (GCA), codified at 18 U.S.C. § 922(g), makes it unlawful for certain categories of persons to ship, transport, receive, or possess firearms or ammunition, to include any person:

convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year;
who is a fugitive from justice;

who is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance (as defined in section 102 of the Controlled Substances Act, codified at 21 U.S.C. § 802);

who has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to any mental institution;
who is an illegal alien;

who has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions;

who has renounced his or her United States citizenship;
who is subject to a court order restraining the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of the intimate partner; or

who has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

:violin:

"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Frater I*I wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:07 pm :violin:

Boo fycking whoooo. You are the raging bitch at school board meeting threatening people. You are the despicable hag harassing people wearing masks and calling them sheeple. You are that fetid bag of skin with Joe and the Hoe for prison signs in your yard and you and yours spent eight years demeaning and preading horrible lies about Obama being a Muslim and Michelle being a man.

Your grandchildren would be better off without you.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Frater I*I wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:07 pm :violin:

So? The rest of us live in fear that gun fondlers like Kyle Rittenhouse will stroll around the grocery store with their open carry weapon to silently threaten the rest of us. Are you worried about that? Or are you only concerned because YOU are now the target?
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

:bighug: :lovestruck: Judy Amy
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Thread from another sentencing hearing.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

14 days.
https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/stat ... 99430?s=20
Scott MacFarlane
@MacFarlaneNews
·
18m
ALERT - Judge sentences Dona Bissey to 14 days in jail

This joins a recent series of cases, in which judges are taking a harder line in misdemeanor Jan 6 case sentencings

Increasingly... it's a harder line
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:08 pm 14 days.
https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/stat ... 99430?s=20
Scott MacFarlane
@MacFarlaneNews
·
18m
ALERT - Judge sentences Dona Bissey to 14 days in jail

This joins a recent series of cases, in which judges are taking a harder line in misdemeanor Jan 6 case sentencings

Increasingly... it's a harder line
Fourteen days is a hard line??

For an attempted coup d'etat?
Jim

Post by Jim »

noblepa wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:54 pm Fourteen days is a hard line??

For an attempted coup d'etat?
Fourteen days is going to seem like 14 years to some of those frightened Trump-sheep.
filly

Post by filly »

Josh Gerstein
@joshgerstein
·
2h
#CapitolRiot defendant Brandon Fellows is on the stand now seeking release from pretrial detention. Compares himself to Jesus and says he plans no criticism of the government beyond that of Jesus calling the Pharisees ‘snakes'

Josh Gerstein
@joshgerstein
·
1h
He tried to call his own (ex-)lawyer as a witness, but Judge McFadden says no. Judge: 'The motion is denied.’ Says he’ll hear from Fellows, though. He says he thought her testimony would be worth more. Also, FWIW: 'I’m a tiny houser minimalist.'

Josh Gerstein
@joshgerstein
·
1h
I’m losing the thread but Fellows appears to claim a man who called himself a constitutional lawyer told him not to turn himself unless told there is a warrant. So he wrapped his phone in foil. ‘I...actually wrapped it in tinfoil because the man told me to wrap it in tinfoil.'

Josh Gerstein
@joshgerstein
·
1h
Fellows is now saying he was treated more harshly than protesters at Kavanaugh and Sessions proceedings. This might have traction with McFadden given his view that 2020 protesters were under prosecuted, but is being made almost incoherently, undercutting its impact.

Josh Gerstein
@joshgerstein
·
1h
Fellows says he initially resisted drug tests because he doesn’t like ‘peeing in front of a stranger.’ ‘I was not fond of that,’ he said. He also says he’s being denied contacts. (Many jails don’t allow them unless deemed medically necessary.)

Josh Gerstein
@joshgerstein
·
1h
Fellows now says he considered contacting McFadden’s family to try to get him off the case, thinking there was a ‘loophole’ that allowed you to get a new judge if you did that. His defense attorney told him not to do that, he said.

Josh Gerstein
@joshgerstein
·
31m
Fellows contend police telling him he shouldn’t go past the statues inside Capitol on Jan. 6 amounted to 'entrapment by estoppel'

Josh Gerstein
@joshgerstein
Judge McFadden denies release. Says Fellows 'probably’ committed obstruction of justice in NY case by trying to force recusal of judge and he admitted to considering obstruction in this case to try to get McFadden off of it by contacting his family
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

If your "constitutional lawyer" tells you to wrap your phone in tinfoil, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say his "law degree" came from the prestigious Law School of Youtube... :tinfoil:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
filly

Post by filly »

Frater I*I wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:53 pm If your "constitutional lawyer" tells you to wrap your phone in tinfoil, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say his "law degree" came from the prestigious Law School of Youtube... :tinfoil:
Mario’s last case?

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”