Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Assault on the Capitol (DC)

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Jan. 6 defendant convicted on separate weapons charges

MATTHEW BARAKAT
Thu, January 19, 2023 at 4:55 PM GMT+1

ALEXANDRIA, Va. (AP) — A jury has convicted a Navy reservist from Virginia accused of storming the Capitol on Jan. 6 on separate charges that he illegally possessed silencers disguised to look like innocuous cleaning supplies.

The conviction Wednesday night against Hatchet Speed in U.S. District Court in Alexandria comes a month after a jury failed to reach a verdict in his first trial, resulting in a mistrial.

At the retrial this week, the jury needed only a few hours of deliberation before convicting him on all three counts of unlawfully possessing unregistered silencers.

Speed's case is noteworthy not only because of his alleged participation in the Jan. 6 riot with the far-right Proud Boys group, but also because he espoused antisemitic views in undercover recordings and discussed strategies for eradicating the Jewish population in the U.S.

The case against Speed in Virginia hinged on three devices he bought in March 2021 that the government argued were unregistered silencers. Speed contended the devices are “solvent traps” to collect excess liquid that spills out when a gun is cleaned.

Prosecutors said while the company selling the devices marketed them as solvent traps, they are designed to be easily converted into silencers, which is why people spend more than $300 for them.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/navy-reservi ... 50894.html
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.wbbjtv.com/2023/01/20/3-act ... %2C%202021.
3 active-duty Marines charged in Jan. 6 Capitol riot
19 hours ago Associated Press
(AP) — Three active-duty Marines have been charged in the riot at the U.S. Capitol. Court records show that Micah Coomer, Joshua Abate and Dodge Dale Hellonen were arrested this week on misdemeanor charges after fellow Marines helped investigators identify them in footage among the pro-Trump mob on Jan. 6, 2021. No defense lawyers for the men were listed in the court docket, so it was not immediately clear whether they have attorneys to comment on their behalf. A Marine Corps spokesman said it is aware the allegations and “is fully cooperating with appropriate authorities.” Dozens of people charged in the riot have military backgrounds, but these three are among only a handful on active duty.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Judge sentenced Capitol riot defendant James McGrew to 6+ years prison. Feds argued rioter in crowd handed McGrew a wooden handrail w/ metal brackets attached.. McGrew positioned handrail over his head & launched it into the tunnel, throwing end w/ the metal brackets at police
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

NEW: Capitol riot defendant Jacob Therres has just pleaded guilty to assaulting/resisting police. He admits throwing 4x4 wooden plank and striking officer in the head. And he admits deploying chemical spray. Estimated sentencing range: 6-7 years in prison
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

@JordanOnRecord
Back at it today with the trial for five Proud Boys accused of seditious conspiracy.

Also happening: Verdict watch in the trials of four Oath Keepers and Arkansan Richard Barnett.
Edit:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

:waiting:
@kyledcheney
BARNETT’s partner, Tammy Newburyport, is sitting alongside Ashli Babbitt’s mother and Nicole Reffitt, wife of Guy Reffitt, who is serving a 7.5 year sentence. Unclear if govt will seek immediate detention in event of guilty verdict.

Charges include obstruction, civil disorder.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

:fiesta: :cheer2: :bunny:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

AMERICA: The jury is deliberating Richard Barnett's fate at this time. Please pray for him.

Jesus, you are the most famous wrongfully accused and convicted person ever. Lord, have mercy on your servant Richard.

Save Your People, Lord. AMEN
Barnett retweeted this. Bets if he'll be on Hannity or Tucker tonight?
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

BARNETT, flanked by his lawyers, says he’ll appeal and work to “correct this injustice.”
@MacFarlaneNews
Barnett rushes over to console his wife who is in tears in front row of courtroom. She’d testified in his defense.

Outside courthouse Bigo Barnett says he didn’t get a fair trial .. claiming he didn’t get a jury of his “peers”… I asked what that meant. And his attorney Joe McBride responded for Barnett
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

I not growing tired of all these FAFO results. :lol:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

IFF I understand the lawyer of Barnett correctly, when I travel to the US and get in trouble, my jury of peers will be citizens of Switzerland :?: :cantlook:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

RTH10260 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:00 pm IFF I understand the lawyer of Barnett correctly, when I travel to the US and get in trouble, my jury of peers will be citizens of Switzerland :?: :cantlook:
My response to Barnett and his lawyer would be: If you want an Arkansas jury, do your crimes in Arkansas.
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

neonzx wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:57 pm
RTH10260 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:00 pm IFF I understand the lawyer of Barnett correctly, when I travel to the US and get in trouble, my jury of peers will be citizens of Switzerland :?: :cantlook:
My response to Barnett and his lawyer would be: If you want an Arkansas jury, do your crimes in Arkansas.
But but but in other threads Trump has been criticized for venue selection! :biggrin:
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

neonzx wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:57 pm
But but but the constitution says a jury of your peers not the court where the crime was committed.

Oh wait.. I guess the defense does not get past the 2nd amendment to realize what the 6th says.
101010 :towel:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Here is Bigo on J6 giving his story of why he went into Pelosi’s office. Convicted today on all counts.

I love that these guys all go on TV before their trials and say dumb shit. Then they blame the jury after losing.
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

Where do these scruffy defendants who always dress like they are working on a sewer line suddenly appear in court with nice threads and look sartorially splendid, with trimmed beards and nicely combed hair?

When juries see actual footage of them inside the Capitol, when juries see their selfies, they know that these folks are slobs. The Men's Warehouse look is not convincing. In fact, it may be convicting because I would assume that they are making a play.

Better take a page from our good buddy Ammo and show up in prison garb. :shock:
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
bob

Post by bob »

northland10 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:54 pm Oh wait.. I guess the defense does not get past the 2nd amendment to realize what the 6th says.
E.g.:

The felonious constitution lover hasn't read past the Second Amendment.
Image ImageImage
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

That's the only one that matters.

If the rest of the Amendments were important, they'd be in the Second Amendment.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

The Third Amendment allowed the State to become a member of the European Communities.

Oh wait, you don't mean the Irish Constitution?
Hic sunt dracones
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Tossing the flag onto the credenza always shows interest in respecting the flag that I assume he loves as much as all the amendments he does not actually know. If you ain't gonna fold it to put it away, at least lean the pole against the wall so it hangs vertically and avoids touching the ground.

Or maybe, at least, roll it on its pole before setting it down.
101010 :towel:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Losing attorney for J6 defendant ‘Bigo’ Barnett says they didn’t get a fair trial: “The jury did not even look at the evidence or consider our side of the story. We feel we got robbed .. We never thought at any point in time we would get a fair trial in DC.”
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Maybe it's just me but I wish these publicity-seeking lawyers would shut up. I know they want a trial in the court of public opinion but can it.
tek

Post by tek »

The jury did not even look at the evidence or consider our side of the story.
Maybe they knew bullshit when they saw it?
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

northland10 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:54 pm
But but but the constitution says a jury of your peers not the court where the crime was committed.

Oh wait.. I guess the defense does not get past the 2nd amendment to realize what the 6th says.
Actually, the Constitution says exactly that:
US Constitution wrote: The Trial of all Crimes, except in Cases of
Impeachment, shall be by Jury; and such Trial
shall be held in the State where the said Crimes
shall have been committed; but when not committed within any State, the Trial shall be at
such Place or Places as the Congress may by
Law have directed.

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”