Assault on the Capitol (DC)

Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

pipistrelle wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:02 pm What does being 70 have to do with anything?
Generic (geriatric?) get out of responsibility for bad acts.

Doesn’t apply if POC..
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

pipistrelle wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:02 pm What does being 70 have to do with anything?
Don't they have to honor the Senior's Discount Card?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Verdict: Colorado Springs-area resident found guilty on four misdemeanors in Capitol breach trial in D.C.
“The whole reason I went to the Capitol was to pray,” she said. “I didn’t get into this for myself, I was there to stand up for my country.”

When she went inside the Capitol for 10 minutes with a group of other rally-goers, Lavrenz said, “I felt god’s presence on me.”
I am sure she will still feel the divine presence from the pokey.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

“The whole reason I went to the Capitol was to pray,”
She had to drive from Colorado to DC and invade
a restricted area to pray? I thought prayer was effective doing it inside ones home privately.
:shrug:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Funny how these grandmas and disabled insurrectionists are too frail for prison but not to be the heart of a violent mob.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

neonzx wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:46 pm
“The whole reason I went to the Capitol was to pray,”
She had to drive from Colorado to DC and invade
a restricted area to pray? I thought prayer was effective doing it inside ones home privately.
:shrug:
My thoughts exactly. There’s even a Red letter Jesus quote for where you pray!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

There is a prayer area at the Capitol. Her claim might have some validity if she had went there.
Hic sunt dracones
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

God is telling me to show up at her B&B without a reservation, knock down her fence, and let myself in through one of her windows. I should meander through her house for twenty minutes or so to pick a suitable place to say a prayer. Afterwards, leave like nothing happened, and spend the next couple years arguing I had no bad intent.

I'm feeling good about this.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

bill_g wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:42 am God is telling me to show up at her B&B without a reservation, knock down her fence, and let myself in through one of her windows. I should meander through her house for twenty minutes or so to pick a suitable place to say a prayer. Afterwards, leave like nothing happened, and spend the next couple years arguing I had no bad intent.

Just don't do anything against the wall.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

bill_g wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:42 am God is telling me to show up at her B&B without a reservation, knock down her fence, and let myself in through one of her windows. I should meander through her house for twenty minutes or so to pick a suitable place to say a prayer. Afterwards, leave like nothing happened, and spend the next couple years arguing I had no bad intent.

Also, many of the commenters on the "articles" about poor grandma kept whining about tax dollars, it's "their house," they can go in any time, yadda, yadda. Same old same old that no one believes.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

pipistrelle wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:58 am

Just don't do anything against the wall.
Hmmm. God said bring some pals. A couple hundred of them. Logistical issues like that tend to work themselves out. I'm still feelin confident.
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

pipistrelle wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:00 am Also, many of the commenters on the "articles" about poor grandma kept whining about tax dollars, it's "their house," they can go in any time, yadda, yadda. Same old same old that no one believes.
The same logic ought to apply to the weapons storage areas at the two nuclear submarine bases at Silverdale, Washington and King's Bay, Georgia. Breaching the perimeter fences for those bases will get you arrested. Attempting to breach the weapons storage area fence will absolutely, positively get you shot.

But the poots don't ever claim that they should be able to come and go from there at will. It's almost like they know that the government has the right to deny them access to certain of "their houses."
DrIrvingFinegarten

Post by DrIrvingFinegarten »

pipistrelle wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:00 am

Also, many of the commenters on the "articles" about poor grandma kept whining about tax dollars, it's "their house," they can go in any time, yadda, yadda. Same old same old that no one believes.
“It’s The People’s House” is such pretentious crap.
A lot of people posting on X are also comparing her crimes to those who entered the country illegally, as if that’s a serious crime.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Ron Filipkowski @RonFilipkowski wrote: J6 inmate Jake Lang announces tonight that 78 J6 defendants have just filed a class action lawsuit against 21 Capitol Police Officers for millions of dollars for injuries he claims the police caused them by using excessive force.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
bob

Post by bob »

J6 inmate Jake Lang announces tonight that 78 J6 defendants have just filed a class action lawsuit against 21 Capitol Police Officers for millions of dollars for injuries he claims the police caused them by using excessive force.
That's the tell this is just a publicity stunt, as this won't qualify as a class action.
Image ImageImage
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

It would be irresponsible not to speculate LOUDLY and on MANY PUBLIC FORA that this is perhaps an entrapment stunt designed to get people to self-designate as plaintiffs in the suit and thereby admit that they were there as part of the insurrection.

I mean, many people COULD be saying this, right?
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Oh Ben, that's neeeaat!

If only it were so, imagine a defendant spluttering as the prosecution points out that the deliberate and unprovoked self-incrimination!
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Remember when Republicans wanted tort reform, and tried to convince us frivilous civil court cases were ruining our Democracy?
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

bob wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:14 pm
J6 inmate Jake Lang announces tonight that 78 J6 defendants have just filed a class action lawsuit against 21 Capitol Police Officers for millions of dollars for injuries he claims the police caused them by using excessive force.
That's the tell this is just a publicity stunt, as this won't qualify as a class action.
A Newsweek article said:
Newsweek could not verify whether a lawsuit was filed and has contacted Lang for comment by direct messaging on X early on Saturday as well as Capitol Police by email.
Which made me wonder, is it being filed in a Florida state court? However, the article followed with:
On X, Lang wrote that the lawsuit was "picked up by Conservative powerhouse" attorneys Stefanie Lambert and Russell Newman. Newsweek has emailed Lambert's office.
https://www.newsweek.com/jan-6-defendan ... ns-1887589

I guess somebody beat GIL to the suit. However, I think Lambert may be a bit pre-occupied.
101010 :towel:
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

I think this is probably the case. It was filed in January and has already been amended twice, but no summons was issued until this week, so nobody has been served. All the plaintiffs are listed as Pro Se

https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/68 ... ng-v-thau/

He did manage to get some sort of signatures for the plaintiffs (not sure if it was properly done for court, but unlike some folks, there was an attempt), and he knows he needs an attorney to file a "class action" motion.

ETA shows their sloppiness again. It was a simple lookup on Pacer, well, if you realize his full name is Edward Jacob Lang.
101010 :towel:
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Kyle Cheney
@kyledcheney

JUST IN: The federal appeals court in D.C. rejected a Jan. 6 defendant's challenge to his "demonstrating in a Capitol building" conviction, ruling that the building — as opposed to the exterior grounds — is NOT, by law, a public forum.

https://www.cadc.uscourts.gov/internet/ ... 048774.pdf

The defendant, John Nassif, argued that the statute in question punishes protected First Amendment activity in a public forum. But the court found that Congress has always had the right to restrict activities inside the building itself because of the need to actually do work.
Tiredretiredlawyer

:mbounce:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

northland10 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:08 pm
I think this is probably the case. It was filed in January and has already been amended twice, but no summons was issued until this week, so nobody has been served. All the plaintiffs are listed as Pro Se

https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/68 ... ng-v-thau/

He did manage to get some sort of signatures for the plaintiffs (not sure if it was properly done for court, but unlike some folks, there was an attempt), and he knows he needs an attorney to file a "class action" motion.

ETA shows their sloppiness again. It was a simple lookup on Pacer, well, if you realize his full name is Edward Jacob Lang.
Here is Lang in action on 1/6.
Ryan J. Reilly @ryanjreilly wrote: There's lot of discussion of violent Jan. 6 rioter Jake Lang on this website.

So here's some video, previously introduced as evidence in another Jan. 6 case, that shows him at the front of the battle.

He's got the gas mask, the black jacket, and the stolen police shield.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Judge Chutken with a J6er today. He was mouthy and it didn't go well. Click for the whole thread.

Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Tiredretiredlawyer

Vo got 9 months. There is an active case against his mom.

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”