Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Assault on the Capitol (DC)

Lani

Re: Assault on the Capitol (DC)

Post by Lani »

The trumpers have destroyed a large amount evidence. And will get away with it.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Lani wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:59 pm Phones of top Pentagon officials were wiped of Jan. 6 messages
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... nes-wiped/
I guess #45 is now in high demand for those rare pardon letters :twisted:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

In new letter seeking leniency from judge, Jan 6 defendant Ben Larocca writes: "If the Trump rally never happened, then the officers.... and their family members would never have to suffer"
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

STANDBY: Sentencing shortly in Capitol breach case of former US Marine Andrew Cavanaugh. Feds will seek 30 days jail, arguing "having worked embassy security as a Marine, Cavanaugh recognized a security perimeter." They say Cavanaugh is seen here with raised fist inside ==>
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Kendra wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:07 am https:// twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/status/1555140488747012096
In new letter seeking leniency from judge, Jan 6 defendant Ben Larocca writes: "If the Trump rally never happened, then the officers.... and their family members would never have to suffer"
:confuzzled: many others attended the Ellipse rally and left without a touristy political speech at a government building that was closed to the public that day cause government work.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Bingo! I still clearly remember watching PBS footage that day, my jaw in my lap. One thing I noticed, as the reporter was doing her thing, was hordes of people running AWAY from the Capitol, passing her as they realized that's not what they signed up for.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Trial set for Sept 28 in Capitol breach case of Russell Alford

And as you'll see ... the defense wants prosecutors and witnesses to be "precluded" from using some "terminology" at trial ====>
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

I could see an argument for most of those terms, but tresspas?
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

neeneko wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:15 pm I could see an argument for most of those terms, but tresspas?
Agreed, given that these are the charges against him (or were, so far as I can tell):
18 U.S.C. § 1752(a)(1) - Knowingly Entering or Remaining in any Restricted Building or Grounds
Without Lawful Authority
18 U.S.C. § 1752(a)(2) - Disorderly and Disruptive Conduct in a Restricted Building or Grounds,
40 U.S.C. § 5104(e)(2)(D) - Disorderly Conduct in a Capitol Building,
40 U.S.C. § 5104(e)(2)(G) - Parading, Demonstrating, or Picketing in a Capitol Building.

More specifically, given what the main synonym for such a term as the highlighted charge would be.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

Kendra wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:50 pm
Trial set for Sept 28 in Capitol breach case of Russell Alford

And as you'll see ... the defense wants prosecutors and witnesses to be "precluded" from using some "terminology" at trial ====>
Does counsel offer up any acceptable alternatives?

Tourists perhaps?

Lawyers taking a page from the judge in the Rittenhouse trial?

Sometimes words can be inflammatory. Sometimes words can conjure up visions that are not there. But you gotta call 'em like you see 'em. This was a riot. Those participants were rioters. They were trespassing on federal grounds at that time. And, while not everyone was chanting, "Hang Mike Pence," or barreling onto the floors of the House and Senate, enough of them did to persuade me to call them insurrectionists.

These fools made their choices. They could have remained outside the building. They didn't.

Maybe the judge should play some footage of these people and let the jury vote on definition. [Sarcasm.]
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

:yeahthat:
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

It’s not unusual for the defense to make a motion like this. In my practice I’m more likely to see a motion that says a witness shouldn’t be able to refer to the victim as a “victim.” From the defense perspective the terms riot, insurrection and mob are unduly inflammatory. And, also from the defense perspective, whether there was a trespass is a question of fact for the jury, so the witnesses shouldn’t be allowed to offer an opinion about it.

I’m not at all surprised to see any of this in a motion, and I wouldn’t be surprised if the judge granted it. I wouldn’t be surprised if he denied it, either.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

“Dense” - Freudian slip? :shrug:
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Dave from down under wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:33 pm “Dense” - Freudian slip? :shrug:
:lol: Fixed :lol:
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Kansas man with ‘just minimal’ legal training to represent himself in Capitol riot case

He'll have plenty of time to catch up in prison.

Fool for a client
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

“Your honor, I feel like I know the facts of my case better than anyone,”

His boss in FL also knows everything better than his Generals.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Jan. 6 Defendant's Restitution Complaint Irks Judge
An Ohio man said he should not have to pay the full cost of restitution for breaking a window at the Capitol, saying other rioters also caused damage.

What You Need to Know
  • Troy Faulkner pleaded guilty to damaging federal property, but he complained about the cost to fix the window he smashed.
  • Chief Judge Howell sternly noted he’d already agreed to the cost when he signed the plea agreement.
  • While the government praised Faulkner for turning himself in, Howell noted he broke into the capitol wearing a jacket with his name and phone number on it.
:snippity:
https://www.law.com/nationallawjournal/ ... rks-judge/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Sentencing at 2p in Jan 6 case of Matt Baggott. Feds seek prison time, arguing he threw object at police, grabbed at police baton (he's yet another accused of "fist pump")

Baggot to argue his "biggest regret is allowing himself to be emotionally moved by the energy
of the crowd"
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Three months for him
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

DC federal court unseals Jan 6 case against Kasey Hopkins of Kansas. Hopkins is among a number of defendants accused of entering private Capitol office of Sen Jeff Merkley.

Charging documents say Hopkins is seen posing for photo next to statue of Winston Churchill ====>

Edit: Found link to this story in the comments.

https://www.bangordailynews.com/2022/08 ... oam40zk0w/
Federal prosecutors in Washington, D.C., want a Maine man charged with assaulting police officers during the Jan. 6, 2021, U.S. Capitol riot to turn over more than half the money allies have raised online for his defense.

The U.S. Department of Justice on Thursday filed a motion asking a judge to order Kyle Fitzsimons to have $12,300 of the $20,215 raised on the GiveSendGo website transferred to the government to help pay for his court-appointed attorney.

Fitzsimons, 38, allegedly wanted the money to use the money to keep up with payments on his truck.

A cousin of Fitzsimons’ created the fundraising account, according to the motion filed in U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C. A screenshot of the fundraiser included in the motion described Fitzsimons as “a political prisoner.” It allegedly was removed from the site earlier this year, between June 1 and 9, after 266 people donated.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Bench trial is planned (judge, no jury) for high-level Jan 6 defendant Kyle Fitzsimons, who among other things allegedly wore butcher coat amid mob. In court, Fitzsimons defense attorney said Capitol Police sergeant is expected to testify for prosecution

Judge is Rudy Contreras
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

But her emails.
Hic sunt dracones
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

And Hunter's laptop.
bob