Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Assault on the Capitol (DC)

Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Re: Assault on the Capitol (DC)

Post by Ben-Prime »

Kendra wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:23 pm
BREAKING: A federal grand jury has indicted Hatchet Speed, the Naval Reserves petty officer already charged in the Capitol riot, on three new felony counts for allegedly possessing unregistered silencers. Speed made his initial court appearance at 2 p.m.
I loved his biopic where he was played by Sandra Bullock and/or Keanu Reeves.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

When this is all over, someone should tally up how many people ended up going to prison/now have a criminal record because they were stupid enough to listen to trump
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

BREAKING: A federal grand jury has indicted Hatchet Speed, the Naval Reserves petty officer already charged in the Capitol riot, on three new felony counts for allegedly possessing unregistered silencers. Speed made his initial court appearance at 2 p.m.
Sadly he'll get more time in prison for those than he will for trying to overthrow democracy....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Frater I*I wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:56 pm
Sadly he'll get more time in prison for those than he will for trying to overthrow democracy....
Likely so. Pity.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Edit: He’s 23. :o
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Well... a whopper of a court filling just now from Capitol riot defendant Ryan Nichols, who's accused of using chemical spray & yelling for "revolution" on Jan 6

Defense wants to move his trial from DC to Texas..... citing President Biden's Philadelphia speech last week

(more)
:roll:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Judge denies Capitol riot defendant Ronald McAbee's request for release from pretrial jail. McAbee is accused of swinging at.. & dragging police officer.. and messaging associate that he "calls for secession"

Judge's order includes details about injuries of police officer ===>

Seems touristy.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Violent Jan. 6 rioter Brian Jackson was affiliated with the white supremacist gang known as the White Knights, DOJ alleges in new court filing.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.justice.gov/usao-dc/pr/illi ... tol-breach
Illinois Man Pleads Guilty to Felony Charges for Actions During Jan. 6 Capitol Breach
Defendant Assaulted Law Enforcement Officer and Member of Media

Shane Jason Woods, 44, of Auburn, Illinois, pleaded guilty in the District of Columbia to assaulting, resisting, or impeding law enforcement officers and a related federal assault charge.

According to court documents, on Jan. 6, 2021, Woods was among those illegally on the Capitol grounds, joining a mob in the Lower West Terrace area. At approximately 2:10 p.m., an individual in the crowd sprayed a Capitol Police officer with a chemical irritant and fled. The officer pursued the person who sprayed her. As she did, Woods lowered his shoulder and rammed into her, knocking her off her feet and sending her crashing into a downed bicycle barricade. The officer felt immediate pain and the next day, she felt as if she had been “hit by a truck.”

In addition, later Jan. 6, Woods gathered with numerous other rioters at approximately 5 p.m. in the media staging area on the northeast side of the Capitol. He walked around some of the piled media equipment that had been and was in the process of being destroyed by other rioters, and he tossed some of it himself. At the same time, a member of the news media attempted to walk away to protect himself and his camera. Woods took a running start and hit the man with a blindside shoulder tackle, knocking him to the ground and causing him to drop the camera.

Woods was arrested June 24, 2021, in Springfield, Illinois. He is to be sentenced on Jan. 13, 2023. The charge of assaulting, resisting, or impeding a law enforcement officer carries a statutory maximum of eight years in prison. The federal assault charge carries a statutory maximum of one year. Both charges also carry potential financial penalties. A federal district court judge will determine any sentence after considering the U.S. Sentencing Guidelines and other statutory factors.
► Show Spoiler
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Tiredretiredlawyer

Lock Ginnie Thomas up!!!!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:55 pm Lock Ginnie Thomas up!!!!!!
Something new happen there?
Tiredretiredlawyer

No. Just daydreaming.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

more than 11/2 years after J6, who kept their old phones?
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

RTH10260 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:18 pm more than 11/2 years after J6, who kept their old phones?
Stephen Miller's parents might have his in the basement still. They had a deposit on it. :rotflmao:
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

RTH10260 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:18 pm more than 11/2 years after J6, who kept their old phones?
I just finally got around to upgrading my 4 year old phone...
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

But wisely you did not consider taking selfies while storming the Capitol ;)
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:50 pm :snippity:
I had a flip phone from 2005 to last year when the shut the network down for it....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

I average 3-4 years on a phone, FWIW.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

VERDICT:

Patrick McCaughey III convicted on all counts w/ dangerous weapon enhance for assaulting Officer Daniel Hodges.

Tristan Stevens convicted of multiple counts of assault, no enhance. Not guilty of obstruction.

David Mehaffie: Guilty of aiding assault, not obstruction.
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/nati ... 86eb34b1fc
Rioter who crushed Officer Hodges in doorframe convicted of seven felonies, could face decade in prison

WASHINGTON — A federal judge convicted three men Tuesday of multiple felony counts each for joining the assault on police at the U.S. Capitol Building last year but acquitted two on the most serious obstruction charge – a ruling likely to be pored over by dozens of other defendants still awaiting trial.

Tuesday’s judgment comes a week after arguments closed in a bench trial before U.S. District Judge Trevor McFadden, a former deputy attorney general who was appointed to the federal bench in 2017 by former President Donald Trump. The three defendants on trial– Patrick McCaughey III, Tristan Chandler Stevens and David Mehaffie – all faced a slew of charges for joining the mob that attacked dozens of D.C. and U.S. Capitol Police officers attempting to hold the Lower West Terrace Tunnel entrance to the building

Each of the three men faced a number of assault charges (McCaughey three, Stevens four and Mehaffie one for aiding and abetting), and Judge McFadden dealt with those first Tuesday – finding all three guilty on each assault count they faced. He stopped short of agreeing to all of the Justice Department’s requests for dangerous weapon enhancements, however, finding only McCaughey’s actions met the criteria.

At issue during trial was whether a riot shield, the object both McCaughey and Stevens were accused of using against police, could be considered a deadly or dangerous weapon and therefore qualify for an enhancement that could add years to a defendant’s potential prison time at sentencing. Judge McFadden ruled Tuesday that a shield could, in fact, meet the criteria – but not intrinsically in the way something like a gun might. Instead, he said, a defendant had to use the shield in a way likely to cause serious bodily injury or death. McFadden said Stevens had not done so when he used a shield to press against U.S. Capitol Police Sgt. Aquilino Gonell and that McCaughey had similarly not done so when he repeatedly shoved a shield toward DC Police Officer Henry Foulds. But, Judge McFadden said, he had used the shield as a dangerous weapon when he used it to pin DC Police Officer Daniel Hodges against a doorframe.

Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

RTH10260 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:07 pm But wisely you did not consider taking selfies while storming the Capitol ;)
This is true. There is definitely no photographic evidence of my being there...
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Frater I*I wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:13 pm
Kriselda Gray wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:50 pm :snippity:
I had a flip phone from 2005 to last year when the shut the network down for it....
When I switch phones and transfer my data, the photos stay with me.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:33 pm https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/nati ... 86eb34b1fc
Rioter who crushed Officer Hodges in doorframe convicted of seven felonies, could face decade in prison

Tuesday’s judgment comes a week after arguments closed in a bench trial before U.S. District Judge Trevor McFadden, a former deputy attorney general who was appointed to the federal bench in 2017 by former President Donald Trump.
McFadden has nearly given lollypops to other defendants so this surprises me.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

pipistrelle wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:39 pm
McFadden has nearly given lollypops to other defendants so this surprises me.
I don’t see it that way, and defendants who chose a bench trial before him in the hope of a full acquittal did so at their peril.

IIRC, McFadden (unlike other judges) didn’t think the certification was an “official proceeding” so there was nothing to obstruct. Reasonable minds can differ about that, so, whatevs.

He’s holding the government’s feet to the fire with respect to the elements of the offenses and the sentencing enhancements, which is something he ought to be doing.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”