Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Assault on the Capitol (DC)

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

But Biden voters would be biased, right? Right? The mountain of evidence against the client didn't play a role, right?
Off Topic
Not many voted in the Republican primary, apparently.
2023-01-25 07.47.12.png
2023-01-25 07.47.12.png (74.72 KiB) Viewed 647 times
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Shirley there was a conspiracy To Steal The Votes :twisted:
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

noblepa wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:41 am
northland10 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:54 pm
But but but the constitution says a jury of your peers not the court where the crime was committed.

Oh wait.. I guess the defense does not get past the 2nd amendment to realize what the 6th says.
Actually, the Constitution says exactly that:
US Constitution wrote: The Trial of all Crimes, except in Cases of
Impeachment, shall be by Jury; and such Trial
shall be held in the State where the said Crimes
shall have been committed; but when not committed within any State, the Trial shall be at
such Place or Places as the Congress may by
Law have directed.
I was being sarcastic in my first statement.

Point taken that they not only didn't get past the 2nd amendment to the 6th (below) but they also skipped over the 3rd article.
In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the state and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance of counsel for his defense.
101010 :towel:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

What "evidence" did 'Bigo' Barnett submit to the court in his defense? :confuzzled:
realist

Post by realist »

noblepa wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:41 am
northland10 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:54 pm
But but but the constitution says a jury of your peers not the court where the crime was committed.

Oh wait.. I guess the defense does not get past the 2nd amendment to realize what the 6th says.
Actually, the Constitution says exactly that:
US Constitution wrote: The Trial of all Crimes, except in Cases of
Impeachment, shall be by Jury; and such Trial
shall be held in the State where the said Crimes
shall have been committed; but when not committed within any State, the Trial shall be at
such Place or Places as the Congress may by
Law have directed.
"Sixth Amendment

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence."
Image X 4
Image X 32
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

realist wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:48 am "Sixth Amendment...
Sorry, what part of the fourth Amendment is the Sixth Amendment?
Hic sunt dracones
realist

Post by realist »

Suranis wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:50 am
What sort of a question is that? Idiotic comes to mind.
Image X 4
Image X 32
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

realist wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:24 am
But but but theres the 1st amendment, the 2nd amendment and the fourth amendment. There aren't any other amendments. Oh ya and the fifth Amendment. Gotta plead that...
Hic sunt dracones
realist

Post by realist »

Suranis wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:27 am
realist wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:24 am

But but but theres the 1st amendment, the 2nd amendment and the fourth amendment. There aren't any other amendments. Oh ya and the fifth Amendment. Gotta plead that...
Took me a minute and had to read that a couple times but I think I understand what you were saying now.
Image X 4
Image X 32
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Here's what police saw -- and listened to -- while facing the mob on Jan 6

From newly released video trial exhibit from US Justice Dept ===>

Very touristy.

NEW: Court unseals Capitol riot case against Robert Degregoris of Aldie, Virginia... who's accused of effort to push ladder against the police line.... and is allegedly shown in these images amid the mob in tunnel area
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Attorney for ‘Bigo’ Barnett, convicted after putting his feet up on Pelosi’s desk on J6, says his client was innocent because “he was pushed in” by “the surge” and he “fell in” to the Capitol, before he somehow “ended up in Speaker Pelosi’s offices.”
:fingerwag:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Kendra wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:38 pm
Attorney for ‘Bigo’ Barnett, convicted after putting his feet up on Pelosi’s desk on J6, says his client was innocent because “he was pushed in” by “the surge” and he “fell in” to the Capitol, before he somehow “ended up in Speaker Pelosi’s offices.”
Carried away in the moment, our President Trump made him do it, etc., etc. The one defense they have is sad, and it's not just a DC jury that ain't buying it.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Let’s say, for the sake of argument, that what the lawyer said about being pushed in or whatever is true. In fact, let’s say that an out-of-control mob pushed him all the way to Pelosi’s office and forced him to do whatever he did there at gunpoint.

So what? The jury has spoken. His “innocence” has already been decided, and so long as there is enough evidence that any reasonable jury could use to convict (an almost impossibly high standard), the only thing the appellate court can rule on is whether he got a fair trial.

I mean, I get it. The lawyer feels like he has to say this shit. But the same people who believe the Big Lie hear this crap and believe it. It’s annoying af.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

"Who you gonna believe, me or your lying eyes?"
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Maybenaut wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:08 pm So what? The jury has spoken. His “innocence” has already been decided, and so long as there is enough evidence that any reasonable jury could use to convict (an almost impossibly high standard), the only thing the appellate court can rule on is whether he got a fair trial.
That's covered in "they're all Biden voters!"
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Kendra wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:38 pm https ://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1618377001009819649
My 8th grade English class short story was a science fiction about a guy who leaves his apartment without his normal protective gear. While he is out, loud speakers begin to warn about an acid rain shower coming up. The crowded streets begin to surge towards cover, he is pushed along by the crowd into a subway station, down onto a platform, and pushed into a train. The train runs for an hour and emerges from the subway tube onto a roll-on/roll-off ferry. He has had no control of where he is or escape path, but now the ship is big enough that people can get out and walk around a bit. The rain has stopped but now people are having trouble breathing. Pollution has killed off all the plankton in the sea and the oxygen levels have been dropping for years - now its serious. Eventually everybody dies.

I got top marks, but the teacher wanted me to change the ending.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:bighug:
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Maybenaut wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:08 pm
Let’s say, for the sake of argument, that what the lawyer said about being pushed in or whatever is true. In fact, let’s say that an out-of-control mob pushed him all the way to Pelosi’s office and forced him to do whatever he did there at gunpoint.

So what? The jury has spoken. His “innocence” has already been decided, and so long as there is enough evidence that any reasonable jury could use to convict (an almost impossibly high standard), the only thing the appellate court can rule on is whether he got a fair trial.

I mean, I get it. The lawyer feels like he has to say this shit. But the same people who believe the Big Lie hear this crap and believe it. It’s annoying af.
IANAL, but I believe that, if the judge disallowed the introduction of evidence by the defense, that might be grounds for an appeal; that the jury didn't get to see what the defense believes to be exculpatory evidence. But, absent juror misconduct, you generally can't appeal on the grounds that "the jury got it wrong".
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Great story, keith! :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Maybenaut wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:08 pm I mean, I get it. The lawyer feels like he has to say this shit. But the same people who believe the Big Lie hear this crap and believe it. It’s annoying af.
I don't know why they have to say anything. Appeal away but whining about how unfair the jury was doesn't seem to fall within doing your legal best for your client.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:yeahthat:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

pipistrelle wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:59 am
Maybenaut wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:08 pm I mean, I get it. The lawyer feels like he has to say this shit. But the same people who believe the Big Lie hear this crap and believe it. It’s annoying af.
I don't know why they have to say anything. Appeal away but whining about how unfair the jury was doesn't seem to fall within doing your legal best for your client.
Oh, I quite agree. I’m making an assumption that the lawyer is being paid through some legal defense fund, and keeping his client’s story ns the public is what drives donations. But it also fuels the Big Lie.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

noblepa wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:54 am
IANAL, but I believe that, if the judge disallowed the introduction of evidence by the defense, that might be grounds for an appeal; that the jury didn't get to see what the defense believes to be exculpatory evidence. But, absent juror misconduct, you generally can't appeal on the grounds that "the jury got it wrong".
That’s it exactly.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Initial court appearance happens shortly in newly filed US Capitol riot case of Dodge Hellonen, one of three newly-arrested US Marines accused of being amid the mob

Hellonen allegedly carried "Don't Tread on Me" flag while inside for nearly an hour

More: https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap ... 17.1.1.pdf
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

@MacFarlaneNews
US Marine Dodge Hellonen is facing the judge in DC right now in newly filed US Capitol riot case

Hellonen tells judge he currently lives inside a barracks room at Camp Lejeune & is prohibited from having personally-owned guns inside barracks.. as judge crafts release conditions

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”