Election Lawsuits

W. Kevin Vicklund

Re: Election Lawsuits

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

noblepa wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:32 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:07 pm
noblepa wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:35 pm SCOTUS declines to hear PA lawsuit.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/19/politics ... index.html
They avoided the central issue of whether the governor could extend the voting times due to the pandemic by calling the suit moot.
I thought I read that the lower courts ruled that the plaintiffs lacked standing and SCOTUS declined to overturn that decision.
They granted cert, vacated the lower court judgment and ordered them to dismiss as moot.
bob

Post by bob »

noblepa wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:32 pm

They avoided the central issue of whether the governor could extend the voting times due to the pandemic by calling the suit moot.
I thought I read that the lower courts ruled that the plaintiffs lacked standing and SCOTUS declined to overturn that decision.
Same boilerplate language:
SCOTUS wrote:Petition GRANTED. Judgment VACATED and case REMANDED with instructions to dismiss the case as moot.
Image ImageImage
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I think we are both correct.
The 3rd US Circuit Court of Appeals earlier dismissed this case holding that the challengers did not have the legal right to bring the case. The challengers wanted the Supreme Court to reverse that decision and hold that the Pennsylvania Supreme Court usurped the Pennsylvania General Assembly's authority when it changed voting rules prescribed by the legislature.
[Steve] Vladeck [a University of Texas law professor] said the court's move Monday leaves the long-term legal question unanswered.

"By vacating the decision below and ordering the lower court to dismiss the suit as being moot, the Justices avoided either tacitly endorsing or rejecting the lower court's analysis, leaving no federal precedent to govern the question of whether the Pennsylvania Supreme Court was allowed to extend the deadline for receipt of mail-in ballots last fall," Vladeck said.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Punting is a long SCOTUS tradition. IIRC, Marbury v Madison was itself a punt.
101010 :towel:
bob

Post by bob »

Newsmax's latest defamation-related walkback:

Per NPR:
Coomer filed a defamation lawsuit against Newsmax in Colorado state court on Dec. 22. He withdrew that suit earlier Friday, ahead of Newmax's apology. Coomer's attorneys said he has reached a financial settlement, but terms of the arrangement were not disclosed.

While he has dropped his suit against Newsmax, Coomer is still suing the Trump campaign and a number of campaign surrogates and pro-Trump media outlets, alleging defamation.
Image ImageImage
bob

Post by bob »

Image ImageImage
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

Both Rule 11 & § 1927!
67CEEB38-4E77-46B8-B55F-3A2E2EE0DB78.jpeg
67CEEB38-4E77-46B8-B55F-3A2E2EE0DB78.jpeg (128.72 KiB) Viewed 1800 times
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
filly

Post by filly »

I read all 68 pages. This Magistrate was so pissed he decided to write a most thorough opinion to support the sanctions (which aren't going to be as large as we hoped, limited to reasonable attorney's fees). IDK how much these lawyers grifted from the rubes in order to file their crap, but I'd be surprised if the attorney's fees award still doesn't make this a monetarily profitable endeavor for the Trumpy lawyers.
Fiascoist

Post by Fiascoist »

:yeahthat: Read it all, too. I really wish someone wearing the black cape would really hammer these idiots. Until that starts happening, monetary fines are simply little road bumps, certainly no deterrence to their continued windmill tilting.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
filly

Post by filly »

Fantastical was a word used by Judge Parker in the Michigan Sanctions Case. I think we will see it in her opinion as well.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I'm confused. I thought they were already suing Newsmax. No?
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
KickahaOta

Post by KickahaOta »

No. Dominion had previously sent document presentation letters to NewsMax and OANN -- meaning "we're putting you on notice that we're probably going to sue you, so don't destroy any relevant documents or There Will Be Issues." At around the same time, NewsMax and OANN started including disclaimers in their broadcasts and putting at least basic controls on some on-air speakers. But Dominion had not actually sued NetsMax and OANN (and Patrick Byrne) until now.

See Dominion Voting's site for the legal scorecard.

And may I say that the Patrick Byrne suit starts with a particularly punchy first sentence:
After blowing up his career at Overstock by having an affair with a Russian spy, Patrick Byrne soon found himself a new pet project: promoting the false narrative that the 2020 election had been stolen.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

She's the nut who got indicted for charity fraud. She and Ali Akbar feuded a lot.

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Yeah, Terpsichore "Tore" Maras-Lindeman is a crank & a grifter, & was one of Squidney's "intelligence" sources.

WaPo last December:
Powell told courts that the witness is an expert who could show that overseas corporations helped shift votes to President-elect Joe Biden. The witness’s identity must be concealed from the public, Powell has said, to protect her “reputation, professional career and personal safety.”

The Washington Post identified the witness by determining that portions of her affidavit match, sometimes verbatim, a blog post that the pro-Trump podcaster Terpsichore Maras-Lindeman published in November 2019. In an interview, Maras-Lindeman confirmed that she wrote the affidavit and said she viewed it as her contribution to a fight against the theft of the election.
In a recent civil fraud case, attorneys for the state of North Dakota said that Maras-Lindeman falsely claimed to be a medical doctor and to have both a PhD and an MBA. They said she used multiple aliases and social security numbers and created exaggerated online résumés as part of what they called “a persistent effort . . . to deceive others.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/investig ... story.html
Image Image Image Image
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Not a lawsuit but 2020 election related.

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Didn't the DOJ out of D.C. recently say this is illegal voter intimidation ?
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

So here's some news, Marc Elias is starting his own firm. We need TAITZ REPORT on YouTube to understand what this really means!!

Elias.png
Elias.png (112.96 KiB) Viewed 1082 times

Elias 2.jpg
Elias 2.jpg (80.07 KiB) Viewed 1082 times

Which, for Lucian Wood on Telegram and Breitbart, means... OPERATION BOOMERANG: DURHAM EDITION! Any day now! For real this time! :towel:

Lin Wood, [23.08.21 11:59]
I want to be one of the first to wish Marc Elias good luck in his new law firm.

I also wish his old firm, Perkins Coie, good luck.

Lin 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Democrat Election Lawyer, Russia Hoaxer Marc Elias Leaves Perkins Coie Ahead of Durham Report
Democrat election lawyer Marc Elias, a key figure in the "Russia collusion" hoax, has parted ways with the Perkins Coie law firm.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2021 ... am-report/
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Durham report? They're still hanging their hopes on that?
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”