Biology

Sam the Centipede

Re: Biology

Post by Sam the Centipede »

And, of course, it's a double dose of not being listened to for Black or other not white women.

With regard to the heart attack issue, there was conjecture when it was touched on in Old Fogbow that women present differently to men due to differences in vasculature and women's symptoms can be more subtle. I don't know if anything came of that or whether it was a load of procrustean hooey to explain away the misogynistic effect.
Off Topic
Caroline Criado-Perez's book Invisible Women is an interesting read, exploring les obvious ways in which the would is organized and calibrated for men. It's a while since I read it so I can't remember whether she discusses these medical diagnostic issues.
Good wishes to all on ameliorating their chronic conditions.
Lani

Post by Lani »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:42 pm
I remember this story. Everyone should read it.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... sm/410515/
Excellent article, even though it triggered me.

And that's why I'm so happy with the women doctors who are now helping me. The lead doc read my medical records and knew immediately I had covid. She lined up a bunch of women doctors to check out everything possible and provide rehabilitation. :lovestruck:

PS: Not saying that all women doctors are better than the men. In the article I mentioned, A good percent of women doctors also don't listen to their female patients and take them seriously. However, it's a lot less than the men.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Lani wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:15 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:42 pm
I remember this story. Everyone should read it.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... sm/410515/
Excellent article, even though it triggered me.
Sorry. :bag:
Sam the Centipede

Fibromyalgia: there is an article in the current (May 14th) issue of New Scientist about fascia tissue, the fascia being the membranes that hold our bits together. It apparently is under-researched, barely acknowledged as little more than an inconvenience when dissecting dead bodies or performing surgery on live bodies. Rather like the gut-brain axis, it appears to have metaphorical fingers in unexpected pies. The article mentions possible involvement in fibromyalgia and other of those messy, difficult to treat, disorders, such as back pain.

I haven't read the article properly (I'm not especially interested in the topic!), and there might be nothing there, but I thought I'd flag it up in case anybody who is more curious would like to follow it up.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Thanks, Sam!!!!!!!! Fascia is well known to those who have earned medals of bravery in dealing with fibromyalgia! I look forward to reading this article!

ETA: This classic was published in 1998. Fibromyalgia and Chronic MyofascialPain: A Survival Manual 2nd Edition
https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/fibromyal ... on=2519261
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Biology

Post by RTH10260 »

Scientists create mice with two fathers after making eggs from male cells
Creation of mammal with two biological fathers could pave way for new fertility treatments in humans

Hannah Devlin Science correspondent
@hannahde
Wed 8 Mar 2023 16.45 GMT

Scientists have created mice with two biological fathers by generating eggs from male cells, a development that opens up radical new possibilities for reproduction.

The advance could ultimately pave the way for treatments for severe forms of infertility, as well as raising the tantalising prospect of same-sex couples being able to have a biological child together in the future.

“This is the first case of making robust mammal oocytes from male cells,” said Katsuhiko Hayashi, who led the work at Kyushu University in Japan and is internationally renowned as a pioneer in the field of lab-grown eggs and sperm.

Hayashi, who presented the development at the Third International Summit on Human Genome Editing at the Francis Crick Institute in London on Wednesday, predicts that it will be technically possible to create a viable human egg from a male skin cell within a decade. Others suggested this timeline was optimistic given that scientists are yet to create viable lab-grown human eggs from female cells.

Previously scientists have created mice that technically had two biological fathers through a chain of elaborate steps, including genetic engineering. However, this is the first time viable eggs have been cultivated from male cells and marks a significant advance. Hayashi’s team is now attempting to replicate this achievement with human cells, although there would be significant hurdles for the use of lab-grown eggs for clinical purposes, including establishing their safety.

“Purely in terms of technology, it will be possible [in humans] even in 10 years,” he said, adding that he personally would be in favour of the technology being used clinically to allow two men to have a baby if it were shown to be safe.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... male-cells
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Biology

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Maybe if someone tells DeSantis about this development (and the possibility of two men having a biological child with 2 fathers...) Maybe, just maybe his head would explode and we be rid of that nightmare at least! NADT!
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Biology

Post by Foggy »

If'n that ain't woke I don't know what is. Harrumph! :lol:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
humblescribe
Verified:

Biology

Post by humblescribe »

I think DeSantis would want to create a love child with himself and another good ole boy Republican using this new-fangled technology. Maybe several.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Sam the Centipede

Biology

It's only when Republicans start fearing that their sons could get pregnant by other men (the shame! the shame!) that abortion rights might be restored.
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Biology

Post by Flatpoint High »

humblescribe wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:05 pm I think DeSantis would want to create a love child with himself and another good ole boy Republican using this new-fangled technology. Maybe several.
"O brave new world that hath such creatures in it."
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
RTH10260

Biology

Post by RTH10260 »

Snow fly in US and Canada can detach its legs to survive, research shows
Flies chilled to sub-zero temperatures amputate one or more of their six limbs to protect their internal organs

Chris Baraniuk
Fri 2 Jun 2023 18.41 BST

Flightless snow flies in the US and Canada can amputate their legs to survive as they begin to freeze, researchers have discovered.

Lab experiments in which the flies were chilled gradually to sub-zero temperatures revealed they can detach one or more of their six legs, an apparent “last-ditch tactic” to protect their internal organs from the advancing cold.

“It is gruesome,” said John Tuthill at the University of Washington. “This wave of ice is going to crash into their bodies and kill them so they’re doing this amputation to prevent that happening.”

About 20% of snow flies collected in the wild by the researchers were already missing legs, he added.

Snow flies, being crane flies, are from the same family as daddy long legs. Unlike the well known British insect, North American snow flies habitually walk across snow and ice in the wild and have been observed doing so at temperatures as low as -10C.

The researchers used dozens of snow flies from four different but closely related species collected from icy, mountainous habitats in Washington state, Colorado and Vermont in the US, and British Columbia and Yukon in Canada.

In their experiments, the team placed individual flies on laboratory cold plates and observed their behaviour with a thermal imaging camera as the temperature slowly dropped.

The flies could still walk even when their bodies reached -7C, and the thermal imaging camera was able to capture the precise moment at which the flies’ legs began to freeze, prompting the amputation response. This happened in 31% of cases where freezing began in a leg. Some flies removed as many as five legs before succumbing to the cold.

The team has published a paper online detailing their findings, though it is yet to be peer-reviewed.

Other crane flies are known to self-amputate their legs – but for different reasons. They tend to do it when a predator grabs on to one of their limbs. According to Tuthill, there are muscles inside the flies’ legs that seemingly allow them to pinch off or detach a limb at will.

Certain geckos, crayfish and squid can also self-amputate their limbs or tails to escape predators. The African spiny mouse can even shed huge quantities of its own skin in a tight spot.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... arch-shows
RTH10260

Biology

Post by RTH10260 »

Synthetic human embryos created in groundbreaking advance
Exclusive: Breakthrough could aid research into genetic disorders but raises serious ethical and legal issues

Hannah Devlin Science correspondent
Wed 14 Jun 2023 19.31 BST

Scientists have created synthetic human embryos using stem cells, in a groundbreaking advance that sidesteps the need for eggs or sperm.

Scientists say these model embryos, which resemble those in the earliest stages of human development, could provide a crucial window on the impact of genetic disorders and the biological causes of recurrent miscarriage.

However, the work also raises serious ethical and legal issues as the lab-grown entities fall outside current legislation in the UK and most other countries.

The structures do not have a beating heart or the beginnings of a brain, but include cells that would typically go on to form the placenta, yolk sac and the embryo itself.

Prof Magdalena Żernicka-Goetz, of the University of Cambridge and the California Institute of Technology, described the work in a plenary address on Wednesday at the International Society for Stem Cell Research’s annual meeting in Boston.

“We can create human embryo-like models by the reprogramming of [embryonic stem] cells,” she told the meeting.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... ng-advance
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Biology

Post by Flatpoint High »

via r/biology
great question, great response(s)
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR

Return to “Science”