Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

It sucks growing old

Whatever4

Re: It sucks growing old

Post by Whatever4 »

Foggy wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:27 pm On this forum, the best place to be when you are having a heart attack is wherever W4 is. When she saved her husband's life, the doctors and nurses wanted to meet her, because only about 5% of people with that kind of attack survive. 'Course, she had bruises for weeks after pumpin' that man back to the land of the living, but he's still around today.
Reverberations of the “Hospital Incident” drill occur. W2 got monoclonal antibodies because he has stents, takes meds because of it, and his cardiologist wouldn’t allow him to go off those meds in order to take Paxlovid. So he got the Good Stuff. :boxing: I got the Paxlovid and the “metallic taste” side effect.

It’s all good. Every day since that heart attack is a gift. ❤️❤️❤️
Optimism is a good characteristic, but if carried to an excess, it becomes foolishness.
—Theodore Roosevelt
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

bill_g wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:38 pm
jemcanada2 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:23 pm
bill_g wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:19 am I know I've told the story of the time our car broke down in the woods near Mount St Helens. We rolled to a stop in front of the house of a woman living alone that was having a heart attack, and she couldn't reach her wall mounted phone to call 911.

And I have more stories. They mostly tell themselves without embroidery. Mrs is constantly amazed at the situations I am presented with that never happen to anyone else. It is a source of much amusement at holiday time when the boys want to catch up on who I saved this year. Mrs usually has to pick one to get me going.
can I live in your backyard?
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Went out with the girls last night. As we were seated for dinner, I misjudged the height of my chair (blind in one eye since birth, way of life for me). Anyhoo, that last few inches I misjudged was just enough to scare me into thinking I was falling and I reacted in an attempt to catch myself. The thing is...I managed to pull a thigh muscle in the process and now I can't walk without a cane or some type of assistance. Guess I'm playing video games all day.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Ouch!!

:bighug:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:17 am
can I live in your backyard?
Sure. Nothing ever goes wrong back there. You'll be fine.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

The only right place at the right time story I can think of - I was walking the four blocks home from a snack run when I saw a very stooped elderly woman struggling to carry two bags of groceries. Stooped as in her head was level with her navel. I asked if I could take her bags (in a way that I hoped wouldn't make me sound like a mugger) but she said, "Oh! They're so heavy! You couldn't carry them and yours too!" "Yeah, I can." I took them from her gently (see "mugger" above) and walked her home. I don't know how she could have done that the several times a week she would have had to. Also wondered why no one else had offered (she was two blocks from the store on a busy street). I have never seen anyone so stooped before or since.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 11:25 am The only right place at the right time story I can think of - I was walking the four blocks home from a snack run when I saw a very stooped elderly woman struggling to carry two bags of groceries. Stooped as in her head was level with her navel. I asked if I could take her bags (in a way that I hoped wouldn't make me sound like a mugger) but she said, "Oh! They're so heavy! You couldn't carry them and yours too!" "Yeah, I can." I took them from her gently (see "mugger" above) and walked her home. I don't know how she could have done that the several times a week she would have had to. Also wondered why no one else had offered (she was two blocks from the store on a busy street). I have never seen anyone so stooped before or since.
Clearly you were present in the moment. Excellent work. Thank you.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

My Messiah complex is not limited to people. I've helped animals too.

I was trundleing down a dirt road in Washington. It was a mix of private and state lands. A doe suddenly darted in front of me. Not unusual. Then she stopped just within the forest apron and looked back. So, I looked in the mirror. Her bambi was struggling in a broken down wire fence. I got my fence cutters, and approached slowly. Bambis are small, but they have sharp hooves, and mom may charge me. You never know. I started cutting and spreading the fence like a zipper to relief some tension on its legs. That was all that was needed. It hopped free, rejoined mom, and they disappeared as I cleared out the fencing so it wasn't a future hazard.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

bill_g wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 12:08 pm My Messiah complex is not limited to people. I've helped animals too.

I was trundleing down a dirt road in Washington. It was a mix of private and state lands. A doe suddenly darted in front of me. Not unusual. Then she stopped just within the forest apron and looked back. So, I looked in the mirror. Her bambi was struggling in a broken down wire fence. I got my fence cutters, and approached slowly. Bambis are small, but they have sharp hooves, and mom may charge me. You never know. I started cutting and spreading the fence like a zipper to relief some tension on its legs. That was all that was needed. It hopped free, rejoined mom, and they disappeared as I cleared out the fencing so it wasn't a future hazard.
She was lucky someone came along who happens to have fence cutters handy (presumably for work).

Another thing one wildlife rehab site said: don't try to rescue hawks, falcons, owls, egrets, herons, or bitterns. For one thing they are all stabby. :twisted:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Off Topic
bill_g wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 12:08 pm My Messiah complex is not limited to people. I've helped animals too.
:oldman:

One time a squirrel was hit by a car in front of my house in Bathysphere or wherever it is, but the little punk didn't actually die, which was a miracle in itself, but I took her in and fed her milk with eggs until she could eat peanuts and when she looked strong enough finally I put her back outside. It took several weeks, but I saved her butt.

The hardest animal to keep alive, IMHO, is rabbits. We had a series of rabbits, they were friendly and neat, used the kitteh litter boxes and got along great with the kittehs, but if they get sick for any reason they'll be dead before you can rush them to the vet. My vet cried when we lost Benjamini, and my wife said, "No more bunnies. I can't keep losing them." And she was right.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Had cataract surgery on one eye on Wednesday. OMG, the colors! I’ve been seeing a sepia-toned world, it seems.

However, no one warned me how different living my regular life would be until my vision stabilizes. It’s… weird. For most of my life, my right eye dominated my left. Now they are actively fighting. I get much better mid-range, lousy close+up, mediocre distance with the new lens. I’ve taken the lens out of my glasses for that eye and taped over. It’s too soon to get magnifying glasses. I might get an eyepatch today that I can use over either eye. Either way, reading is much more difficult.

2 weeks until surgery on the other eye. Any hints?
Optimism is a good characteristic, but if carried to an excess, it becomes foolishness.
—Theodore Roosevelt
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Sorry, no hints except give your eyes time.

I have only had cataract surgery in my right eye. You are right about the colors.

I was reminded of the old RCA Color TV commercial-

" Wow! I got color TV! RCA Victor Color TV! I know what I've been missing now! Wow! I got color TV! Wow!".
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Volkonski wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:17 am Sorry, no hints except give your eyes time.

I have only had cataract surgery in my right eye. You are right about the colors.

I was reminded of the old RCA Color TV commercial-

" Wow! I got color TV! RCA Victor Color TV! I know what I've been missing now! Wow! I got color TV! Wow!".
Like the people who get those corrective lenses for color blindness.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... -their-70s
A groundbreaking theory of ageing that explains why people can suddenly become frail after reaching their 70s has raised the prospect of new therapies for the decline and diseases of old age.

Researchers in Cambridge discovered a process that drives a “catastrophic” change in the composition of blood in older age, increasing the risk of blood cancers and anaemia, and impairing the effectiveness of white blood cells to fight infection.

The scientists believe similar changes occur in organs throughout the body, from the skin to the brain, potentially underpinning why people often age healthily for decades before experiencing a more rapid decline in their 70s and 80s.

“What’s exciting about this work is there may be a common set of processes at work,” said Dr Peter Campbell, a senior author on the study and head of the cancer, ageing and somatic mutation programme at the Sanger Institute in Cambridge. “Ultimately the goal would be slowing or intervening in the ageing process, but at the very least we see an option to use this to measure biological age.”

Ageing is a complex process, but many scientists have suspected that the gradual buildup of mutations in cells gradually degrades the body’s ability to function properly. The latest research suggests that thinking is wrong, or at best incomplete, and places the blame instead on “selfish” cells that rise to dominance in old age.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

A coworker of mine upon turning 80 said he felt great until he turned 80, then his body "just fell apart".
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

My grandmother says she didn’t think of herself as old until she realized that she had a daughter who was 60. :lol:

I’m still surprised that my 50th high school reunion was last year. 50! How can that be?
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I was actually looking forward to going to
my 35th HS reunion in Arlington VA. There were only a couple of old friends I really cared to see and we’d been planning a fun weekend for a while. At the last minute one of them canceled to go rescue horses in Nola (post-Katrina), and sprout got sick so I didn’t go, either.

The remaining friend did. After her report, I was so glad I missed it. It was a loud, drunken mess in her eyes. Most of the attendees were the usual suspects, the ones who didn’t leave the area, didn’t outgrow their teen behaviors, and/or married miserably. One woman got drunk, fell down a long flight of hotel stairs and broke her leg. Several people barfed on the dance floor. There were fisticuffs. Blackout behavior abounded.

Growing old. One must do it gracefully.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

My husband was hesitant to go to his 40th class reunion in 2012 but I encouraged him and he was so glad that he did. Shoot.. I even had a good time there. The planning committee did an outstanding job of putting together a handout (also downloadable as a pdf) with high school photos and updated photos and write ups from quite a few of the classmates of their lives. It’s sometimes hard to recognize people after 40 years, but everyone recognized my outgoing husband, so that was great too.
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:28 pm My husband was hesitant to go to his 40th class reunion in 2012 but I encouraged him and he was so glad that he did. Shoot.. I even had a good time there. The planning committee did an outstanding job of putting together a handout (also downloadable as a pdf) with high school photos and updated photos and write ups from quite a few of the classmates of their lives. It’s sometimes hard to recognize people after 40 years, but everyone recognized my outgoing husband, so that was great too.
"Outgoing" as in socially gregarious, or "outgoing" as in "soon-to-be-former, with an incoming replacement on the way"?
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

johnpcapitalist wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:20 pm "Outgoing" as in socially gregarious, or "outgoing" as in "soon-to-be-former, with an incoming replacement on the way"?
Hey! :shock:

:lol:

My sweetie liked nothing more than chatting with others.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

That was my dad. My husband used to say he could strike up a conversation with a fence post.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

A doctor told me yesterday, after a good discussion, that I "have a good understanding of the aging process and what [I'm] facing in the future."

And I was all :nooo:

But it is what it is. :daydreaming:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Last week a small cough grew to a barking cough with a fever. Chest xray was clear. So Doc on duty said bronchitis and gave me prednisone, benzonatate, and an inhaler. By Sunday it progressed to a hoarse voice and expelling industrial strength adhesive. Second Doc on duty modified the diagnosis to pneumonia with an azithromycin prescription. This morning the voice is still hoarse. I definitely can't do my Isaac Hayes impression, but I might be able to pull off Lou Rawls or Tom Waits.

Tomorrow I have jury duty at the county courthouse. I doubt I'll make it through voir dere.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Lou Rawls :daydreaming:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”