Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

It sucks growing old

Phoenix520
Verified:

Re: It sucks growing old

Post by Phoenix520 »

:eek: Mr Brolin, that’s a LOT to go through in 5 months. :bighug: My sympathies
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

My sympathy and empathy go out to Mr Berlin and sad-cafe. This living life to the fullest needs some adjustments.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Mr brolin
Verified: ✅ as vaguely humanoid

Post by Mr brolin »

My dear departed mother would just tut and tell me in that sweet, loving and yet terrifying way..... "For goodness sake....Stand up.....brush yourself off and get moving....Nothing has fallen off, nothing is oozing, leaking, seeping or smelling..... p'ffff.....youth of today...." :lol:
Tiredretiredlawyer

Ya knows, she's right. Dammit!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

"Shake it off then rub a little spit on it, and don't drink any water it makes you loaggy (whatever that is)" A '50-'60s hockey coaches' first-aid wisdom for anything short of a severed carotid artery.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

qbawl wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:33 pm "Shake it off then rub a little spit on it, and don't drink any water it makes you loaggy (whatever that is)" A '50-'60s hockey coaches' first-aid wisdom for anything short of a severed carotid artery.
Logy.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Logy. One of my mom’s favorite words.”Like a bee after a whole day of nectar-sipping. Too heavy to fly.” :lol:

Haven’t heard it in years.
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2021/1 ... ears-young
105-year-old Julia Hawkins breaks 100-meter dash record, and my back hurts from sleeping wrong

Back in the summer of 2017, 101-year-old Julia “Hurricane” Hawkins set a couple of world records when she competed in the USA Track and Field Outdoors Masters Championships. The sprinter became the oldest female athlete to ever compete in the events, and at the time she crushed the existing world record for the 100 metes, at that age bracket, with a 40.12 second time. At the time Hawkins joked that she “missed my nap for this.”

On Saturday, Nov. 6, 2021, Hurricane Hawkins set a new record. Two actually: As she became the “first female track and field athlete and first American to set a world record in the 100-meter dash for her age group” completed it in 1:02:95. In running the event, Hawkins also created the first 105+ age bracket in the sport. "The older you get, the more passions you ought to have,” she told news outlets. I made hash browns in a toaster oven this morning—so I’ve got that going for me.

Hawkins was born in Wisconsin in 1916. She has four children, three grandchildren, and one great-grandchild. Hawkins spent her years as an octogenarian doing cycling time trials and pulling in a few gold medals. She told the Guardian that her cycling career ended because “there wasn’t anyone left my age to compete with.” So at the age of 100, Hawkins registered to become a 100-meter sprinter. I don’t believe I’ve put on socks yet.

After Hurricane’s 100-meter record in the 100-104 age bracket was broken by 100-year-old Cleveland, Ohio, woman Diane Friedman in August, Hawkins dusted off her running shoes. After the race, she told reporters “It was wonderful to see so many family members and friends. But I wanted to do it in less than a minute.”
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

Mr brolin wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:33 am
Various of one's minions at work make much mock about if I'm going for a full Borg gradual body replacement..... :eek: :oldman: :blackeyebig:
I begin my assimilation into the Borg Collective tomorrow with a Sacral Nerve Stimulation implant. It’s an evaluation device, internal leads to the nerves with an external control head. If the results are favorable after a 2-4 week trial the external device will be replaced with a permanent internal implant.

Move over Locutus, there’s a new kid coming to town!
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Good luck. We will add your technological and biological uniqueness to our own. :heart:
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

Good luck, Hugh!
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Whoa, good luck, GreatGrey!! :bighug:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Greatgrey

Post by Greatgrey »

roadscholar wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:08 pm Good luck, Hugh!
834F4DD8-E6FB-4F0C-8694-5C0AAFE7815A.jpeg
834F4DD8-E6FB-4F0C-8694-5C0AAFE7815A.jpeg (58.62 KiB) Viewed 4111 times
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Greatgrey wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:22 pm
Mr brolin wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:33 am
Various of one's minions at work make much mock about if I'm going for a full Borg gradual body replacement..... :eek: :oldman: :blackeyebig:
I begin my assimilation into the Borg Collective tomorrow with a Sacral Nerve Stimulation implant. It’s an evaluation device, internal leads to the nerves with an external control head. If the results are favorable after a 2-4 week trial the external device will be replaced with a permanent internal implant.

Move over Locutus, there’s a new kid coming to town!
Weird timing. I just heard of this today.
Greatgrey

Post by Greatgrey »

p0rtia wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:37 pm Good luck. We will add your technological and biological uniqueness to our own. :heart:
I’ve updated my location profile.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

I have a Dexcom 6, does that count?
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Greatgrey

Post by Greatgrey »

So I’ve been in the collective for 24 hours now and it’s not so bad. Did get disconnected from the hive mind twice but was able to reconnect easily enough. Stoopit Bluetooth.

And I found that if I turn the intensity up I can make my foot dance around like a water drop on a hot skillet.

The worst is I really want to take a long hot shower, but can’t for fear of infection & shorting things out. I guess that’s why ya never see the Borg hanging out at the swimming pool.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Ugh. Mrs woke up this morning in a fright. She was late for work. Why didn't I wake her up? We can't afford her losing this job. On and on.

She's been retired at least five years now.

It took a solid ten minutes to walk her back from the edge.
June bug

Post by June bug »

bill_g wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:21 am Ugh. Mrs woke up this morning in a fright. She was late for work. Why didn't I wake her up? We can't afford her losing this job. On and on.

She's been retired at least five years now.

It took a solid ten minutes to walk her back from the edge.
I'm sorry, Bill. That's so tough. :bighug:
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

:bighug:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Tiredretiredlawyer

I have dreams that are vivid and skeery too. I call them Cecil B. DeMille dreams with a cast of thousands. Hubby has woken me up many a time. Sometimes I shout out or scream. Dreams about being late for a class or not being able to find a classroom have been some. I had one vivid dream in which I was quite angry with Hubby. I was angry at him when I woke up too!
mojosapien
Occupation: Desktop support. Retired juror for the next three years, thanks.
Verified:

Post by mojosapien »

Just found out from my PCP about Shringrix.....
Think like a fortune cookie. ©2022-Mojosapien
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

mojosapien wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:18 am Just found out from my PCP about Shringrix.....
What about it? I just had the first shot.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

"Place" dreams have been my thing since high school. I have recurring dreams about several different places that don't exist. Some are single rooms, some multiple city blocks. The streets and buildings are always the same, but they are usually background for whatever action is taking place. Different people, different adventures, and different actions, but in the same landscape.

Oddly enough, I don't remember having a single recurring dream since starting chemo, although wild dreams are a pretty common side effect. I still have incredibly vivid dreams, just not ones in the comfortable confines of my imaginary cities and buildings. I'll be happy when I can go back to the relatively familiar.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

I haven't generally had dreams I remember for years. The one exception is if I take a muscle relaxer and mild opioid before bed when my back has gone completely off the rails. However, back in August the doctor put me on an anti-inflammatory in place of the large amount of Advil I've been taking for chronic back pain and some mild arthritis.

I have a history of finding odd side effects of medications and hit the trifecta with this one. It started with a little shakiness in the hands from about an hour after I took the pill until late afternoon. That was annoying but it was something I could live with. Then my wife said I was talking in my sleep at night just saying nonsense ("Do Turks have towels?") and I was having vivid waking dreams along with it that would take a few minutes before I realized I was dreaming. It was always something dark like an abandoned building with old leaking plumbing or even something violent. About a week in right at bedtime I had a full blown four alarm anxiety attack. I don't have anxiety attacks. Ever. I rarely feel much anxiety about anything. It's just not how my mind works. My wife was incredibly concerned because this had never happened in the nearly 20 years we've been married.

The next morning it occurred to me that all this started after taking the new medication so I looked it up. Sure enough shaky hands, strange dreams and anxiety were all listed. We have a winner! On top of all this, the anti-inflammatory was wearing off about mid-afternoon and I can't take Advil along with it so my pain levels were worse at night. I stopped taking the meds and sent the doctor a note. I'm back to buying Advil in Costco sized bottles. We'll talk about the anti-inflammatory at my next visit in February.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”