Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

It sucks growing old

AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: It sucks growing old

Post by AndyinPA »

Feel better soon! :bighug:

Jury duty may be short.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:17 am Lou Rawls :daydreaming:
Yeah. I know. Shoulda Coulda Woulda.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:24 am Feel better soon! :bighug:

Jury duty may be short.
I'll bring the doc reports just in case I have a coughing spell that sends people scurrying across the room.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

bill_g wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:49 am Last week a small cough grew to a barking cough with a fever. Chest xray was clear. So Doc on duty said bronchitis and gave me prednisone, benzonatate, and an inhaler. By Sunday it progressed to a hoarse voice and expelling industrial strength adhesive. Second Doc on duty modified the diagnosis to pneumonia with an azithromycin prescription. This morning the voice is still hoarse. I definitely can't do my Isaac Hayes impression, but I might be able to pull off Lou Rawls or Tom Waits.

Tomorrow I have jury duty at the county courthouse. I doubt I'll make it through voir dere.
i suggest you drop the word superspreader.... :twisted:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

bill_g wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:49 am By Sunday it progressed to a hoarse voice and expelling industrial strength adhesive.
You can get good money for that.
This morning the voice is still hoarse. I definitely can't do my Isaac Hayes impression, but I might be able to pull off Lou Rawls or Tom Waits.
Ooh, do Alex Jones. :towel:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Foggy wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:10 pm
bill_g wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:49 am By Sunday it progressed to a hoarse voice and expelling industrial strength adhesive.
You can get good money for that.
This morning the voice is still hoarse. I definitely can't do my Isaac Hayes impression, but I might be able to pull off Lou Rawls or Tom Waits.
Ooh, do Alex Jones. :towel:
Winner winner, chick .... oops. Sorry.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I wish this had been printed in my 20's.

https://www.aarpethel.com/fulfillment/m ... concussion
My Self-care Epiphany Was Prompted by a Concussion
I now have a whole new sense of adventure.

I wanted to just lie there and cry after I fell down a flight of cement steps. But I had to get up and continue downstairs (although not at the fevered pace that caused my tumble) to meet my 99-year-old mother and the EMTs who were taking her to the hospital because she was having hallucinations, an indication she was suffering from a mystery infection.

The positive thing that came from this episode — aside from no broken bones or bleeding — was that it served as a wake-up call to start engaging in better self-care. By the end of the day, which included five hours in the emergency room for my mom, followed by seven for me, I was angry — at myself.

I’ve spent a lifetime at the back of the line voluntarily. As a kid, I did it to prove I wasn’t a spoiled only child; at jobs, to evince I was dedicated. I put my husband, Neil, first because I believed that was what wives did; and when Luke, 27, and Meg, 24, were born, my life became about them. And now I’m acting as a nurse to my mother.

Being frightened by what happened was a great motivator for me to put into practice my vow to look after myself as I do others. What also brought relief, other than the news that I was just banged up and a combo of Tylenol and Advil would have me back on the mend, was the bittersweet knowledge that I was not alone.

"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

This was a clever piece in The Guardian today:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... phical-way
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

I had the second cataract surgery 10 days ago. Much better results now that my eyes can work together. I can see 20/30 on the eye chart, first time ever. I’ve been 20/70 with glasses since 3rd grade I think. (Wow, that tree is sparkly! My lord, we need to dust.) I have 3x half moon glasses for iPad and closer. From 1-6 feet, however, it’s not great. As we expected. :crying:

In a month I can get prescription lenses to make it even easier to see. Kinda unsure on the whole driving thing, though, now that I could qualify for a license.
Optimism is a good characteristic, but if carried to an excess, it becomes foolishness.
—Theodore Roosevelt
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Congratulations and good luck! I'm always jealous and happy when someone else's goes well. :thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Whatever4 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:13 pm I had the second cataract surgery 10 days ago. Much better results now that my eyes can work together. I can see 20/30 on the eye chart, first time ever. I’ve been 20/70 with glasses since 3rd grade I think. (Wow, that tree is sparkly! My lord, we need to dust.) I have 3x half moon glasses for iPad and closer. From 1-6 feet, however, it’s not great. As we expected. :crying:

In a month I can get prescription lenses to make it even easier to see. Kinda unsure on the whole driving thing, though, now that I could qualify for a license.
Well, you've proved that you don't really *need* a license. But I suppose some things you like to do regularly that are too far away to uber/lyft would be much easier if you could just rent a car. Tough call. :bighug:
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Tiredretiredlawyer

Welcome to the exclusive Cataract Be Gone Club! :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Maybenaut wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:43 pm
Whatever4 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:13 pm I had the second cataract surgery 10 days ago. Much better results now that my eyes can work together. I can see 20/30 on the eye chart, first time ever. I’ve been 20/70 with glasses since 3rd grade I think. (Wow, that tree is sparkly! My lord, we need to dust.) I have 3x half moon glasses for iPad and closer. From 1-6 feet, however, it’s not great. As we expected. :crying:

Well, you've proved that you don't really *need* a license. But I suppose some things you like to do regularly that are too far away to uber/lyft would be much easier if you could just rent a car. Tough call. :bighug:
I’d visit Fema CAMP #626 way more often. It’s a pain to get there and back. Verbie has to pick us up and take us back to the Augusta Transportation Center, 1 hour each way.
Optimism is a good characteristic, but if carried to an excess, it becomes foolishness.
—Theodore Roosevelt
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Hubby has been in rehab place since Saturday. It never occurred to either of us that this would happen after his knee surgery last week. He's getting a LOT of physical therapy. He has an hour in the morning, one hour after lunch and a two-hour session with some kind of special machine every evening. It's hard finding a time to go in. That's a lot of therapy, but he's happy about it. He will probably progress better with all of this. We are due to go on a three-week trip in four weeks from Saturday. It's not a super intense trip with one full week on Amtrak long distance out of the three, but he might have to take it a little easier than he would otherwise.

There are Covid protocols in place. He had to have a positive test before they would accept him as a patient. When we go in to visit, we have to sign in, get our temperatures taken by a machine I've never seen before, and wear a mask at all times.

We're very familiar with the place he's in. It's nice, and only about five miles from home. My mother was in there at least a half dozen times, and I've spent many, many hours there. It's more than a little weird, though, having my husband there. Time marches on.
Lani

Post by Lani »

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug: Extra hugs for both of you!
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.aarp.org/health/healthy-liv ... urvey.html
It’s Time to Throw Out Stereotypes on Aging
​The National Geographic and AARP exclusive study shows that older Americans are redefining their health, defying challenges and living with purpose

To make the study as useful as possible, we posed the same questions to Americans from age 18 into their 90s, to see how opinions vary over the arc of adulthood. More than 2,500 people participated, representing the full range of America’s backgrounds, demographics and ethnicities. Another 25 adults 40 and older participated in in-depth interviews.

Many of the often surprising results of the AARP–National Geographic “Second Half of Life Study” are in your hands. No single sentence can capture the gist of all that people told us, but we can say with confidence that most prevalent opinions and stereotypes of aging were proven wrong.

Overall, the message was refreshingly positive and reassuring. On the whole, life is good, especially for older Americans — especially those over 60. And the person you see in the mirror is far different from the type of person younger generations might think you are.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Advertising perpetuates this bigly. I look for advertising that shows older people as part of the family or community. What I see mostly are ads for prescription drugs, life insurance, Medicare plans, incontinence products, assistive devices, not-smart phones, hearing aids, phones for hearing impaired (always elderly, like there aren't 20-year-olds who are hearing impaired), etc. You get the idea. I saw an ad once for some outdoors product where in the middle of the young and young middle-aged people, someone in their 50s or 60s showed up hiking. Just about keeled over from the shock.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

Just returned from my fiftieth (plus one) high school reunion. About 80 out of 330 or so showed up. Sixteen of us had already departed this mortal world, including a close friend who was stabbed to death in her dorm room five months after graduation. We never dated, but we always seemed to do school projects together. She wanted to be a large animal veterinarian. She loved horses. She would have been a good one, I just know.

By and large while we all looked older--much older--the spirits were high. All that pretense and phony bullshit that some folks used to bluster about were gone. I had approached this event with mixed feelings (based upon previous reunions) but was pleasantly surprised how by the end of our seventh decade that we've all accepted our lots in life. We've made it this far; there is no changing the past. Maybe we didn't succeed the way we thought we would. But, all in all, we lived within ourselves, and accomplished what we could. It includes one blind fellow (very opinionated, very liberal, but a neat person to talk to--he can dish it out as well as take it!)

We had an incredible class--a Hollywood director, several lawyers, several physicians, a coupla CPAs, a professional musician, several college professors, a few secondary school teachers, two LEOs, an actuary, and others who were clever enough to start or maintain small businesses. And those are just the classmates that I know of.

I did not hear one story about our physical ailments or age-related issues. We all got 'em.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

I have a knee that every time I walk down stairs it feels like it is just going to fall apart.

am I looking at knee replacement?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

As mentioned before, hubby just had one two weeks ago. He's happy he did it. He comes home from rehab on Thursday, then will start home therapy Friday or next week. He has the other knee to do later this year. He had a few bad days early, but all in all, he did well, and is being released from rehab two days earlier than they planned.
Tiredretiredlawyer

:bighug:
Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

sad-cafe wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:46 pm I have a knee that every time I walk down stairs it feels like it is just going to fall apart.

Possibly, or could be something torn or out of place. Get thee to an orthopedic doc.
—Theodore Roosevelt
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

Whatever4 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:09 pm
sad-cafe wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:46 pm I have a knee that every time I walk down stairs it feels like it is just going to fall apart.

Possibly, or could be something torn or out of place. Get thee to an orthopedic doc.
I see my reg doc in a couple weeks-gonna talk to him about it.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Public Service Announcement:

NARRATOR:

Maybenaut blew off her doctor when he advised her to get the shingles vaccine. Last summer Maybenaut got shingles and it was really horrible. After a misdiagnosis that sent Maybenaut to the ER in anaphylactic shock as the result of an allergic reaction to an antibiotic that she didn’t even need, Maybenaut was finally prescribed a course of Valtrex for the shingles, and she recovered.

Rather than get the shingles vaccine, Maybenaut again blew off her doctor and is now suffering from another shingles outbreak. This time she recognized it for what it was: an outbreak that could have been avoided.

Don’t be like Maybenaut.

Get your shingles vaccine.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”