Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

It sucks growing old

Lani

It sucks growing old

Post by Lani »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:36 am :snippity:

By the way, I've had both the first version of the shingles vaccines, and the newer version of the shingles vaccine. Did your doctor talk to you about that? Is it effective once you have a shingles outbreak?
No discussion about that. In part because I have had severe reactions to some vaccines. Watched for 50 minutes, followed up at home, anaphylaxis, etc. I carry an epipen. Before this happened, we discussed what shots to have first - covid or shingles.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

It sucks growing old

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, Lani my friend, you are definitely going through a rough patch right now.

I can't find it, but I think Jon Stewart said that life is a gift, but pain is the price we pay for it.

I don't know what is best for you, but I suspect a dog is the first priority. There's a dog out there who needs you, and you need him/her.

Get a dog that knows how to install a dishwasher, that's my advice.

:lovestruck:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
mojosapien
Occupation: Desktop support. Retired juror for the next three years, thanks.
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by mojosapien »

Not me......

john Prine
Think like a fortune cookie. ©2022-Mojosapien
humblescribe
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by humblescribe »

Lani wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:01 am I now have joined the fogbowers shingles club! I feel so special.

Had a small rash on my neck that was kinda hot and itchy. I thought it was an allergic reaction and used benedryl lotion & pills. Did not help. This morning was the 3rd day, and I woke up with it down the right side of my back & chest and bothering me A LOT. Very ugly, creepy inch+ long lesions. :eek: (sorry)

I looked at my Kaiser website in case I need to get care and discovered that I could have a free phone consultation. 10 minutes later, a doctor called me - after screwing up by calling my son instead. (Both of us use Kaiser.) Anyway... he was pretty sure that I had shingles, and I made it to the clinic pharmacy minutes before it closed. Anyone use valacyclovir? I'm on it now.

So far it's just very irritating and very creepy looking. I hope it doesn't get worse. :pray:
I wish you the best. My wife had symptoms like yours in July 2020. She thought she could treat them topically. She too waited three days before seeing urgent care and receiving the same valacyclovir. It was too late. I believe one needs to get started on anti-virals within 48 hours of the initial rash for mitigation. For her, 75 hours was too late.

Here is hoping that it clears up quickly with no lingering effects!

By the way, herpes simplex virus (cold sores) and herpes zoster (varicella) virus (shingles/chicken pox) are cousins. They both attack the skin or mucous membranes and go dormant once the body heals. This latency lasts one's entire life. (I am not a physician or virologist, so take this for what it is worth.)
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
pipistrelle

It sucks growing old

Post by pipistrelle »

I got a rash on my back, went to a walk-in clinic, doc took one look and decided against asking me if I'd had chicken pox, told me to get the drug right away, don't wait for a break or lunchtime, etc. It never got bad and didn't leave any lingering nerve pain. Just some bumps on my back that maybe burned a little. I hardly noticed them. Since then, I've gotten the fancy two-shot shingles vaccine, which I'm told is good for life.

Do not search "shingles" and "eye."
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

It sucks growing old

Post by keith »

pipistrelle wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:29 pm Do not search "shingles" and "eye."
My wife got shingles in her eye.

We went to the Doc for Flu and Shingles shots.

The doctor told us to go away and think about whether we wanted the new shingles shot or the old one. Before we could decide and get back in (i.e. within 10 days), she came down with shingles in her eye.

She caught it quickly, but it was painful. Six months later and her eye still weeps, and she gets occasional pain between her eyes.

She probably has to put drops in her eye every day for the rest of her life.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

It sucks growing old

Post by keith »

keith wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:56 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:29 pm Do not search "shingles" and "eye."
My wife got shingles in her eye.

We went to the Doc for Flu and Shingles shots.

The doctor told us to go away and think about whether we wanted the new shingles shot or the old one. Before we could decide and get back in (i.e. within 10 days), she came down with shingles in her eye.

She caught it quickly, but it was painful. She did not have blisters, just a light rash.

Six months later and her eye still weeps, and she gets occasional pain between her eyes.

She probably has to put drops in her eye every day for the rest of her life.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Lani

It sucks growing old

Post by Lani »

Anyone with shingles use lidocaine? So far, nothing terrible has happened, but I thought maybe I should have a lidocaine spray on hand if things get worse.

Unfortunately, all Hawaii drugstores are sold out, so I need to order from Amazon. Also, get this - stores are out of ice trays! But I can freeze water in sealed sandwich bags, so there's that. There are some weird shortages here. :?
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
MsDaisy
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by MsDaisy »

I had shingles and found the best remedy EVAH! Capzasin ointment. Hurt like hell rubbing it in but within a few minutes all you could feel was the burn and that was a hell of a lot better than the shingles.

Warning:
Use gloves to apply and DO NOT get that shit in your eye
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

It sucks growing old

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.aarp.org/health/conditions- ... teeth.html
7 Types of Medications That Can Hurt Your Teeth

Here we’ve listed the common culprits for oral health problems linked to medications, as well as other drugs that can potentially cause the same issues. Plus, find out ways to prevent and treat the conditions. Learn how to stay healthy — while keeping your teeth, gums (and more) happy.

5. Oral bisphosphonates, commonly prescribed for osteoporosis to strengthen bones
What it can cause: Osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ) is a rare but potentially serious complication of oral surgery that causes death of the jawbone tissue.

Common culprits: Antiresorptive drugs such as oral bisphosphonates — alendronate (Fosamax), risedronate (Actonel and Atelvia) and ibandronate (Boniva) — are commonly prescribed for osteoporosis to strengthen bones. They are also used in cancer patients to limit or prevent the spread of cancer to the bones, such as bone metastasis in breast cancer or multiple myeloma. “These drugs can be livesaving and quality-of-life-preserving,” says dentist Thomas Schlieve, M.D., associate professor in the Department of Surgery at UT Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas. “But they can have one side effect: osteonecrosis of the jaw.”

ONJ is a potential side effect of dental surgery while taking these medications. The condition typically occurs after a tooth extraction or some other invasive dental work, which may leave a bit of your jawbone exposed. If the gum tissue is slow to heal or fails to heal entirely, that area of jawbone is left exposed, doesn’t get blood flow and dies. In the early stages, “Osteonecrosis can be asymptomatic, to the point where you don’t even know you have it. Maybe they just feel a rough spot with their tongue,” Schlieve says. If it progresses, the dead bone becomes infected and painful and, in later stages, can spread beyond the bone that supports your teeth to the nerves.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by AndyinPA »

Lani wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:01 am I now have joined the fogbowers shingles club! I feel so special.

Had a small rash on my neck that was kinda hot and itchy. I thought it was an allergic reaction and used benedryl lotion & pills. Did not help. This morning was the 3rd day, and I woke up with it down the right side of my back & chest and bothering me A LOT. Very ugly, creepy inch+ long lesions. :eek: (sorry)

I looked at my Kaiser website in case I need to get care and discovered that I could have a free phone consultation. 10 minutes later, a doctor called me - after screwing up by calling my son instead. (Both of us use Kaiser.) Anyway... he was pretty sure that I had shingles, and I made it to the clinic pharmacy minutes before it closed. Anyone use valacyclovir? I'm on it now.

So far it's just very irritating and very creepy looking. I hope it doesn't get worse. :pray:
I think if you catch it quickly, the meds are very good at clearing it up. Hubby got it some years ago, and I recognized it immediately and had him call his doctor. He got in the next day and was put on the medication, and it helped pretty quickly. I had had my shingles vaccine, but he hadn't gotten his yet.

Good luck. :bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
MN-Skeptic

It sucks growing old

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:10 am https://www.aarp.org/health/conditions- ... teeth.html
7 Types of Medications That Can Hurt Your Teeth

Here we’ve listed the common culprits for oral health problems linked to medications, as well as other drugs that can potentially cause the same issues. Plus, find out ways to prevent and treat the conditions. Learn how to stay healthy — while keeping your teeth, gums (and more) happy.

5. Oral bisphosphonates, commonly prescribed for osteoporosis to strengthen bones
What it can cause: Osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ) is a rare but potentially serious complication of oral surgery that causes death of the jawbone tissue.

Common culprits: Antiresorptive drugs such as oral bisphosphonates — alendronate (Fosamax), risedronate (Actonel and Atelvia) and ibandronate (Boniva) — are commonly prescribed for osteoporosis to strengthen bones. They are also used in cancer patients to limit or prevent the spread of cancer to the bones, such as bone metastasis in breast cancer or multiple myeloma. “These drugs can be livesaving and quality-of-life-preserving,” says dentist Thomas Schlieve, M.D., associate professor in the Department of Surgery at UT Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas. “But they can have one side effect: osteonecrosis of the jaw.”

ONJ is a potential side effect of dental surgery while taking these medications. The condition typically occurs after a tooth extraction or some other invasive dental work, which may leave a bit of your jawbone exposed. If the gum tissue is slow to heal or fails to heal entirely, that area of jawbone is left exposed, doesn’t get blood flow and dies. In the early stages, “Osteonecrosis can be asymptomatic, to the point where you don’t even know you have it. Maybe they just feel a rough spot with their tongue,” Schlieve says. If it progresses, the dead bone becomes infected and painful and, in later stages, can spread beyond the bone that supports your teeth to the nerves.
Yeah, that's one I'm paying attention to. I inherited two great things from my mom - a great immune system and low blood pressure. I've also inherited two lousy things - teeth prone to cavities and osteoporosis. Actually, osteoporosis is present on both sides of my family - a condition more common, I believe, in those of us of Scandinavian descent. So I'm on a once-a-week osteoporosis medication and my dentist is aware of that. Sigh. Dang. Hopefully I won't run into this issue.
Tiredretiredlawyer

It sucks growing old

That Osteonecrosis of the jaw is Halloween skeery. I have osteopenia (not osteoporosis) in my left hip so I have been taking Calcium with Vitamin D and fosamax for years. Also, too, because I am the body type which osteoporosis loves, petite and thin.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Volkonski
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Lani

It sucks growing old

Post by Lani »

This is 7 or 8 days from the rash appearing. (It was minor initially, and I ignored it.)

Got the pills for shingles on Saturday. Lucky me, it's working. No spread, no pain. Yes, itchy, hot and bothersome, but nothing really bad. 100 temperature for a couple of nights. Still VERY exhausted, so I work in bed, propped up with pillows with my laptop on my legs. (Goddess bless for work from home!) Nap a lot. (Also because of my covid problems.) I am so relieved. All I knew about shingles was from people who really suffered, some hospitalized.

I was so lucky! And thank all of you for sharing your stories and information. It would have been lonely without you. :kiss:
MN-Skeptic

It sucks growing old

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I am so glad the pills are working for you! Thanks for the update. :bighug:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Lani wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:54 am This is 7 or 8 days from the rash appearing. (It was minor initially, and I ignored it.)
It's good to hear you're doing better!
Tiredretiredlawyer

It sucks growing old

:bighug:
AndyinPA
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by AndyinPA »

:clap: :bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
mojosapien
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by mojosapien »

0600 I shall call my ride to the shit-colored building outside RI Hospital.

Colonoscopy
Foggy
Dick Tater

It sucks growing old

Post by Foggy »

Oh man, good luck with that, mojo.

I am having real trouble with my shoulders. Past few days, I haven't recognized the shape of my left arm, on account of how it done ballooned up with fluid. That ain't what my arm looks like. Nopeadocious. Nuh uh. :nope:

And I'm missing my workout classes, which is killin' me. I'm gonna turn into a tapioca pudding for lack of moving my bones, and you can pour me into a bowl. I hate this. :smokeears:

But it's from playing touch football into my early 40s, colliding with other large mammals repeatedly for three hours a week on Sunday mornings.

And football is the greatest game of all to play. It's so much fun. I wouldn't have given up one minute of it, even if I knew it was wrecking my shoulders. Hell, if I could play another twenty years, I would love every stinkin' minute of it. Football, man. ❤️🏈

We'd meet at an elementary school field, and we'd bring orange traffic cones to mark first downs, and we'd play 7-on-7 man football, and we'd play from 9:30 to 12:30, and then go watch pro football starting at 1 p.m. on the Tee Vee and drink beer and smoke weed, and ... and it was Heaven on Earth. We'd watch the pros do moves and run cool plays, and we'd plan what we were gonna do next Sunday when we got the chance.

Those days were magical, and I wouldn't give 'em up for all the malarkey in China.

So I guess I just gotta put up with wrecked shoulders today, and stop bein' a grumbletonian. :oldman:
MsDaisy
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by MsDaisy »

In High School we had a powder-puff football team where the girls played football and the boys were the cheerleaders. It was fun but being the scrawniest kid on the team I was pretty regularly plowed over. :lol:
Foggy
Dick Tater

It sucks growing old

Post by Foggy »

At Georgetown U. we had a league of lady football teams on campus, I think they had six teams, and those ladies were good. I used to sit and watch before my game, and I was really impressed.

The thing about football is team execution in addition to skills, so that if you have two football players with identical skills and strength and foot speed, but one of them is more intelligent than the other, the first will be a far better player because she knows what to do at the exact right moment. So it was totally cool to watch women who were both athletic, and loved the game.

Sadly, my girlfriend at Georgetown wasn't a football player. Just a beautiful genius, is all. She was way smarter than I am, but she threw like a girl. :lol:
mojosapien
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by mojosapien »

2nd time for the colo...a little sedation but not put under...I'm more cleaner than JHK would ever wish..Much cramping. Back in 119 months.

Carry on. No brain tissue was lost.
Foggy
Dick Tater

It sucks growing old

Post by Foggy »

:like:

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”