It sucks growing old

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

It sucks growing old

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:rotflmao:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

It sucks growing old

Post by bill_g »

I got a score of 4 -
No walkman, no AOL, no MySpace, and never owned an encyclopedia (though I used them often).

Noted elsewhere that 8 tracks and thesauruses did not make the list.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Damn... My score is 0. I've done everything on that list. And it would still be 0 if you added 8-tracks and thesauruses.

(Our encyclopedia was a small kids one, but had several volumes, so I figure it still counts. If not, then my score is 1.)
pipistrelle

It sucks growing old

Post by pipistrelle »

I had a family member who used to get the AAA TripTiks on paper, with red pencil marking the way. Now they're digital of course.
AndyinPA
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by AndyinPA »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:46 am I had a family member who used to get the AAA TripTiks on paper, with red pencil marking the way. Now they're digital of course.
Now they've eliminated the travel books.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
much ado

It sucks growing old

Post by much ado »

Years ago our daughter asked her mom what some word meant.

Mom asked her, "Do you know what a dictionary is for?"

Our daughter responded, "Sure, I know what a dictionary's for. It's what you put under a little kid so they can reach the table!"
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

It sucks growing old

Post by Foggy »

In that vein, I am reading a paper book, and I prefer my Kindle. If I want to look up a word and I'm reading a paper book, I would have to open another book or some tablet or sumpin', whereas if I want to look up a word on mah Kindle, it's immediate, and gives you access to Wikipedia definitions, a ton of information. None of which is in this book.

And you have to have adequate lighting to read a book, it's silly!
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Kriselda Gray »

I was reading a paper book not too long ago. Which is *very* rare for me (like, that was probably the first in at least 5 years) and I actually caught myself trying to press on a word to get a definition for it. :oopsy:
Foggy
Dick Tater

It sucks growing old

Post by Foggy »

I did that, too also, at least my finger was very close before I realized, in a paper book you can't do that, and it detracts from the reading experience, IMHO. I'm reading a biography of Queen Caroline, written by a British lady, and there are words in there that I honestly don't know what they mean.

But it's a pain in the ass to have to put the book down and grab my tablet, and open a browser and goog it to get a definition of the word, but now I forgot the context and the last few pages I just read, because it takes a lot of work and focus to look up a word.

So I prefer my Kindle. :mrgreen:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

It sucks growing old

Post by bill_g »

I've wanted to ctrl-F a paper doc sooo many times ....
W. Kevin Vicklund

It sucks growing old

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Foggy wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:16 am In that vein, I am reading a paper book, and I prefer my Kindle. If I want to look up a word and I'm reading a paper book, I would have to open another book or some tablet or sumpin', whereas if I want to look up a word on mah Kindle, it's immediate, and gives you access to Wikipedia definitions, a ton of information. None of which is in this book.

And you have to have adequate lighting to read a book, it's silly!
Wait wut?
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

It sucks growing old

Post by neonzx »

You kids and your techie gadgets. There is nothing better than lying in bed with a good book -- traditional books with binding, spines and paper. Of course, then waking up in the morning with the book closed and I have lost my place. :?

I do recall having to get up and look at my dictionary many times when reading the Lord of the Rings trilogy. But all that was part of the experience/learning. Good times.
Foggy
Dick Tater

It sucks growing old

Post by Foggy »

Off Topic
W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:28 pm
Foggy wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:16 am if I want to look up a word on mah Kindle, it's immediate, and gives you access to Wikipedia definitions
Wait wut?
I have a Kindle Paperwhite. If you press a word with your finger for a second, you get a popup screen with various options. On my Kindle today I'm reading a book called Slip Runner. I pressed on the word 'assessment' just now (Narrator: He knows what assessment means, he was testing).

For "assessment", I got three options:

1. Dictionary definition
2. Wikipedia entry, which was fairly verbose
3. Translation

To access the different options, you slide the popup screen. It's super easy and helpful. If you highlight a phrase or paragraph or sumpin', you get a raft of other options, copy and paste, that kinda stuff.

Kindle Paperwhite, man. You can't beat it. And I got a cheapie Kindle holder that makes it easy to hold without dropping it.
MN-Skeptic

It sucks growing old

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I love reading in bed and that's why I love my iPad Mini. It's a lot easier than having a bedside lamp on or using a little book light.

I also love the e-reader's search feature. A person's name will appear in chapter 4, for example, and I'll try to remember who exactly that person was, so I do a search and find where he was introduced in chapter 2 and now I know how he fits in. My only complaint with that, though, is that Libby - the e-reader program I use - only will find the first 99 instances of a word which may not be enough when it's a main character's name. It also won't search for an exact match, so if a character is named Ron, for example, it'll find every word containing the letter sequence ron.
Foggy
Dick Tater

It sucks growing old

Post by Foggy »

Off Topic
My last off-topic post, but Kindle. When you get one, the cover shows ads, of course. But it's not expensive to pay to get rid of all the ads.

Then there's a setting so what shows on the cover of your Kindle is the actual cover of the book you are currently reading. Very nice.
neonzx

It sucks growing old

Post by neonzx »

Off Topic
Foggy wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:54 pm
Off Topic
My last off-topic post, but Kindle. When you get one, the cover shows ads, of course. But it's not expensive to pay to get rid of all the ads.

Then there's a setting so what shows on the cover of your Kindle is the actual cover of the book you are currently reading. Very nice.
Does your Kindle feel like and have the scent of a paper book? I think not. Crude fabrication.
Foggy
Dick Tater

It sucks growing old

Post by Foggy »

I have literally hundreds of books. I have four large bookcases in this room, and a set of shelves full of books that sit directly above the bed, but they don't have a scent. What is this scent of books of which you speak? Are you applying some sorta scent to your books? Are all your favorite books scratch-and-sniff? :lol: :confuzzled:

I mostly read my books for the printed text and photos (if any). I never actually sniff them. I said already, I am reading a paper book at the present time, The Unruly Queen, by Flora Fraser. Allow me to repeat, I am reading an actual, physical, scentless book made of paper.

But, it's an inferior experience, compared to reading it on my Kindle. For the two factually based reasons which I already explained. I think I will continue to read primarily on my Kindle, and let others bask in the scent of their books. :towel:
AndyinPA
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by AndyinPA »

I'm ambidextrous. I can read either way. ;)
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neonzx

It sucks growing old

Post by neonzx »

Foggy wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:12 pm I have literally hundreds of books. I have four large bookcases in this room, and a set of shelves full of books that sit directly above the bed, but they don't have a scent. What is this scent of books of which you speak? Are you applying some sorta scent to your books? Are all your favorite books scratch-and-sniff? :lol: :confuzzled:

I mostly read my books for the printed text and photos (if any). I never actually sniff them. I said already, I am reading a paper book at the present time, The Unruly Queen, by Flora Fraser. Allow me to repeat, I am reading an actual, physical, scentless book made of paper.

But, it's an inferior experience, compared to reading it on my Kindle. For the two factually based reasons which I already explained. I think I will continue to read primarily on my Kindle, and let others bask in the scent of their books. :towel:
Oh sir, paper books do give off a scent. It is not strong nor offensive. No scratch-n-sniff required. Maybe you can't smell anymore?

Although, there was this time where a manual included with a modem or something reeked of fish. Had to get rid of that. Made in China or something.
Foggy
Dick Tater

It sucks growing old

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, well I sniffed The Unruly Queen. Which is kinky, but my buddy neonzx insisted. Luckily, she (Queen Caroline) doesn't smell much, or at all, really. No different than my Kindle, which I also sniffed. :batting:

Which is particularly odd because part of the story about her is that she was a stinky German princess who came to England and repulsed her husband (the future George IV, at the time he was Prince of Wales) because she didn't have a good relationship with soap, but her husband had a couple of lovers who were the cream of British society and whose bodies smelled delightful.

Allegedly.

I never sniffed any of them, either. :towel:

In any case, the marriage got off on a bad foot because the lady smelled awful.

So you would think The Unruly Queen would be a smelly book, but no.

I am disappoint. :liar: :lol:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

It sucks growing old

Post by keith »

1 point. Never had an AOL account. But I had a CompuServe account before AOL took over.

Also I never had a boom box, but I listened to other folks boomboxes.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Phoenix520
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Phoenix520 »

I am also 1 point. Never had a My Space.
June bug

It sucks growing old

Post by June bug »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:38 pm I am also 1 point. Never had a My Space.
Same with me!
qbawl

It sucks growing old

Post by qbawl »

Zero!
neonzx

It sucks growing old

Post by neonzx »

keith wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:35 pm 1 point. Never had an AOL account. But I had a CompuServe account before AOL took over.

Also I never had a boom box, but I listened to other folks boomboxes.
MySpace? I think I had one for a week.

I had a geocities site for a few months. Do I get a point for that?

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”