Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

It sucks growing old

mojosapien
Occupation: Desktop support. Retired juror for the next three years, thanks.
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by mojosapien »

An occurring annoyance during the past year.

Medial epicondylitis is also known as golfer's elbow, baseball elbow, suitcase elbow, or forehand tennis elbow. It's characterized by pain from the elbow to the wrist on the inside (medial side) of the elbow. The pain is caused by damage to the tendons that bend the wrist toward the palm. A tendon is a tough cord of tissue that connects muscles to bones.

What causes medial epicondylitis?
Medial epicondylitis is caused by the excessive force used to bend the wrist toward the palm. This can happen when
swinging a golf club nah...lolol
or pitching a baseballnah..other joints would go first.
Other possible causes of medial epicondylitis include:

Serving with great force in tennis or using a spin serve nah
Weak shoulder and wrist muscles not yet but I've seen it
Using a too tightly strung, too short, or too heavy tennis racket nah see above
Throwing a javelin nah
Carrying a heavy suitcase nah
Chopping wood with an ax nah I'm not Zappa's Fine Girl and do not put on womens clothing
Operating a chain saw nah A power tool is not a toy and see above
Frequent use of other hand tools on a continuous basis mini-screwdriver, steering wheel, right-handed

The PCP had suggested the 3M Futuro, CBD paste :lol: and Voltaren/Lidocaine (both work OK for a while)
Other options include steroid shots and supposedly simple outpatient surgery.

Currently I'm wearing the 3m Futuro directly on the elbow.
At some point it may slip off and I will be handed a Chinese SKS or an Armalite AR-15.

What say you, grasshoppers?
Think like a fortune cookie. ©2022-Mojosapien
filly

Re: It sucks growing old

Post by filly »

Get the shot. I was told that tinkering at the edges makes this likely to become a chronic condition and you don’t want to live with that pain forever.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

That explains my problem. I forgot to press the primer button the required two times on my snow blower and I had to pull the recoil starter three times before it would start. I'm too macho to plug the thing in and use the electric starter. Now my elbow hurts. A lot.
Il factotum
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

I had to have mine injected a couple times from taking blood pressures all day long. It was very helpful.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Have you tried heroin?

Hay, wha' happened to the Oops smiley? :blackeye: :bag:

OK, I restored it. :oopsy:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Having had a more than nodding acquaintance with heroin in my wasted youth, can confirm my elbow never hurt.
Image Image Image Image
SlimSloSlider

Post by SlimSloSlider »

“It sucks growing old”

It is an improvement on the alternative.
Lani

Post by Lani »

:yeahthat:
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

Like my barber says, "I see you're still growing hair."
Il factotum
mojosapien
Verified:

Post by mojosapien »

Cool...one shot at a time, though.

I was finally able to schedule my Moderna vaccine thru the local Waste Management facility, but 4 hours later I received a text message that it is closed this Saturday and directed me to the nearest available site.

https://www.zebraprovidence.com/

Maybe I can kill two birds with one stoning.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

zekeb wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:16 am Like my barber says, "I see you're still growing hair."
I told my stylist, "well at least I don't have any white highlights yet" and she said, "ummm, yeah."
101010 :towel:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

In his mid-50s, after playing tennis since he was Michigan Jr. Champion, my dad was dragged to an acupuncturist by his best friend for his tennis elbow. He scoffed. He mocked.

He stopped scoffing and mocking after the second treatment. I forget how many he had, but it never came back.
mojosapien
Verified:

Post by mojosapien »

In his mid-50s, after playing tennis since he was Michigan Jr. Champion, my dad was dragged to an acupuncturist by his best friend for his tennis elbow. He scoffed. He mocked.

He stopped scoffing and mocking after the second treatment. I forget how many he had, but it never came back.
----------------
I know someone locally in RI who almost lost a shoulder because he was a "tennis player" from birth...and he was.

this is "golfer's elbow"...I've never been skeletally injured in my life except for teeth.

Lidocane is doing the job for now.

Steroid shot? Sounds painful.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://genius.com/Frederick-loewe-im-g ... ore-lyrics
Sung by Maurice Chevalier in Gigi.
Poor boy!
Poor boy!
Down hearted and depressed and in a spin
Poor boy!
Poor boy!
Oh, youth can really do a fellow in!

How lovely to sit here in the shade
With none of the woes of man and maid
I'm glad I'm not young anymore
The rivals that don't exist at all
The feeling you're only two feet tall
I'm glad that I'm not young anymore

No more confusion
No morning-after surprise
No more self delusion
That when you 're telling those lies
She isn't wise...
And even if love comes through the door
The can that goes on forevermore
Forever more is shorter than before
Oh, I'm so glad that I'm not young anymore

The tiny remark that tortures you
The fear that your friends won't like her too
The longing to end the stale affair
Until you find out she doesn't care

No more frustration
No star-crossed lover am I
No aggravation
Just one reluctant reply
"Lady, goodbye!"

The fountain of youth
Is --
Methuselah is my patron saint
I've never been so comfortable before
Oh, I'm so glad that I am not young anymore!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Somehow, America Survived this.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Tiredretiredlawyer

And the army survived!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.aarp.org/health/conditions- ... zjwU53DeQ=
Shoulder Pain Symptoms You Shouldn't Ignore

Shoulder pain typically comes from the joint itself or from any of the surrounding muscles, ligaments or tendons. And with age, “you'll see changes in the lining of the joint, changes in the integrity of the bones and degeneration of the ligaments,” says Chhatre. “If you don't participate in a strengthening or exercise routine, you'll see some atrophy and loss of bulk (in the muscles) that surround and protect the stability and strength of the shoulder joint.”

While that sort of wear and tear is a natural consequence of living your life, it can make you more vulnerable to several shoulder issues. Various diseases and conditions affecting the structure of your chest or abdomen, like heart disease and gallstones, can also cause shoulder pain.

Whatever the cause, there's plenty you can do to relieve this kind of pain. But first you have to know which symptoms deserve your attention. Here are the ones you should never ignore and the likely culprit for each.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I gave myself a rotator cuff tear working out with weights without proper warm-up. It was indeed excruciating. I was lucky, it was minor and a steroid shot allowed me to start using it again so it didn't freeze up on me, but it's definitely something that needs treatment. Babying it will only lead to frozen shoulder, and that's a whole 'nuther excruciating problem.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I have a friend who was dog sledding during the iditarod several years ago (not in it; he has done a documentary on it) and was thrown. He was not near medical help, but got some as quickly as he could, and was flown back home. He had a bad shoulder injury, among other things, but the shoulder was the most severe problem. He's still working on rehab for it years later.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Dr. Caligari

Post by Dr. Caligari »

SlimSloSlider wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:28 am “It sucks growing old”

It is an improvement on the alternative.
I was complaining to one of my docs about all my age-related symptoms, and she said, "above ground is better."
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Law
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

I was rear ended by an appropriately named Ram pickup about 30 years ago, hard enough to crack the windshield in my car. My left shoulder was sore afterward but I just assumed it was muscle pain from the accident and the shoulder belt. Sure enough, it cleared up after a couple weeks. Ever since then, every once in a while that shoulder would flare up for a few days. It was always little things like reaching behind me that caused the trouble and it always cleared up after a few days. Then last year things really went off the rails and I spent months dealing with it. Sure enough, it turns out I had a tear in my rotator that was never addressed and I'm sure it goes back to that car accident from 3 decades ago. I've been doing some physical therapy and it's helped a lot but it's still pretty easy to trigger (reaching up and behind me is particularly bad) and takes a week or two before it calms down again. I guess the moral of the story is that if your shoulder hurts go have it looked at.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Good that you're moving it with therapy. My excruciating knife-like pains were completely eliminated by a cortisone shot. And the shoulder shot doesn't hurt like your wrist or finger. I hardly felt it but by the next day, all pain was gone and has never returned.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Oh that dreaded letter that comes every 5 years.....

Dear MsDaisy...

"This is just a reminder that it's time for you to return to your GI Doc so he can give you another dose of that nasty stuff that causes you to shit your brains out so he can shove a scope up your ass and look at the back side of where your tonsils use to be"....

:cantlook:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

With this combo move job switch I just did, I'm between doctors and just switched insurance. I take an injectable medication for my psoriatic arthritis that runs around $6k/mo, so it always takes awhile to get approved with the new insurance. And then the old doc team wanted to see me and some blood tests before giving me any more meds, which is difficult since I'm over 2,000 light years away across the country now. And then the comedy of screw ups and errors started. Now I'm starting to get really sore and would really like my meds. I'm not even THAT old, but I'll tell you what, it was a lot easier to bounce back from a missed dose of meds ten years ago with the same exact conditions than it is now.

And that just sounds like no fun at all MsDaisy, I'd demand a refund.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Don't want knee replacement. Turning 60 in 10 days. They both need to go.

It sucks.

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”