Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Covid-19 Numbers

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Re: Covid-19 Numbers

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

So glad I read this. I am attending the March for Our Lives today with mask.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

It's gone up in the county here by about 500 cases after trending down. I was out today, and wore a mask. I'm not seeing as many people wearing them now, but they must not be paying attention.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

25% in Florida bc of course it is.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Don't have the numbers right now, but Australia is under pressure again. Hospitals are full as they were last year. Not as many deaths though - vaccinations are working, but people have gone complacent about masks. Stay at home pay for folks without sick leave has been reinstated by Govt.

We are in Winter. Youse guize should look out for winter coming up.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Complacent about masks seems to be a thing these days. I was really hoping not to have to wear one traveling this year, but that's not happening.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... En9IOBZ7CM
Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 12.33.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 12.33.00 PM.png (144.97 KiB) Viewed 2660 times
Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 12.32.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 12.32.49 PM.png (89.55 KiB) Viewed 2660 times
AndyinPA
Verified:

Covid-19 Numbers

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... h-usa-2022
Covid was top line-of-duty death for US police for third year running in 2022

Covid was the top cause of death in the line of duty for American law enforcement for the third year in a row in 2022, according to a recent report, though the pace has slowed.

When the pandemic first hit, many law enforcement officers did what they could to lower the risks of catching Covid-19 – taking some reports over the phone rather than in person, trying to limit contact within departments and with the public.

Working on the front lines made some face-to-face contact unavoidable – and, as a result, hundreds of law enforcement officers died as Covid swept through the US. In 2020, there were at least 346 confirmed Covid deaths in the line of duty, and at least 301 work-associated deaths from Covid in 2021.

The actual mortality rate from Covid among law enforcement is assuredly higher, due to undercounting when tests were scarce and because reports like these only include line-of-duty deaths.

The total number of Covid deaths in 2022 was significantly lower than the previous two years, with 70 deaths in the line of duty, but it still outpaced all other causes of mortality on the job, according to a report from the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund (NLEOMF).
Lani

Covid-19 Numbers

Post by Lani »

So many people seem covid is over. Even my medical clinic no longer requires people to wear a mask. (About half of us wore them anyway.) But apparently covid is increasing again.

Hawaiʻi’s COVID positivity rate has more than doubled since the beginning of March.

The state Department of Health reported a 9% positivity rate last week.

"Because of the home tests, the number of recorded PCR tests that the state has the data for, and is made public, has dropped significantly. So when you look at case numbers, those are now only a fraction of the actual infections that are going on," said Lee Altenberg, a theoretical population biologist at the University of Hawaiʻi.

His work involves trying to understand the nature of population dynamics and how a population processes.

"Most people are acting as though it's 2019 again, as though COVID has gone, as though there's no risk to them, and that they pose no risk to others. And it's just not true," he told The Conversation.[/quote]
https://www.hawaiipublicradio.org/the-c ... k-of-covid
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Covid-19 Numbers

Post by AndyinPA »

Rather than look at numbers, I keep track of the direction of the movement from week to week here. It's definitely been down. We all had to wear masks all the time for the ten days I spent in the hospital with my husband.

They have approval for another booster for anyone over 65, etc. Cleared by CDC today, I think.
Mrich

Covid-19 Numbers

Post by Mrich »

I've noticed one lingering effect - I noticed I instinctively stand back from most people as I am talking to them, and I make a wide path walking around people in stores and other public places. I don't think about it, it's just become ingrained.
MN-Skeptic

Covid-19 Numbers

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I went to the clinic last Friday to have lab tests done in preparation for seeing the doctor today. Last Friday they had a large sign out front saying that masks were required. Today... it's gone. No one - not even my doctor - was wearing a mask. I had put mine on in the car before I came in, so I left it on, but it was sort of weird.
pipistrelle

Covid-19 Numbers

Post by pipistrelle »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:16 pm I went to the clinic last Friday to have lab tests done in preparation for seeing the doctor today. Last Friday they had a large sign out front saying that masks were required. Today... it's gone. No one - not even my doctor - was wearing a mask. I had put mine on in the car before I came in, so I left it on, but it was sort of weird.
My hospital requires them and provides them if you don’t have one. They enforce it.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Covid-19 Numbers

Post by Foggy »

None of the medical offices around here require them now.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Covid-19 Numbers

Post by Slim Cognito »

I know this isn’t the right thread but it’s the current thread so here goes. I got my fourth booster yesterday. Obviously, with D ‘s compromised immune system, I didn’t want to take any chances. They said I was the first person to take advantage of the new ruling. Since D is in chemo right now, we have to see when the doctor says he can get his but it’ll be as soon as the doctor allows.

FYI , if you missed it, the fourth booster has been approved for anyone over 65 or has a compromised immune system.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Azastan
Verified:

Covid-19 Numbers

Post by Azastan »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:51 am

FYI , if you missed it, the fourth booster has been approved for anyone over 65 or has a compromised immune system.
Thanks, I need to check into that.

I've been wearing a mask and limiting contact with the public all this time, still have not caught COVID.

But I've had my surgery and am about to go maskless in public (at least where there are large open spaces and not many people), so keeping up to date with vaccines is important to me.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Covid-19 Numbers

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Hubby wanted me to share this.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/hea ... 650908002/
US should have attacked COVID like a foreign invasion, experts say. Have we learned any lessons?
In the absence of a federal commission on the COVID-19 pandemic, over 30 experts felt a duty to speak out and have written a book on how the US lost the pandemic war.

Despite partisan divides, pretty much everyone agrees that America's leaders made mistakes during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Now, a group of more than 30 heavy-hitting experts from the worlds of policy, public health, science, biodefense and patient advocacy has written a book reviewing some of those errors and making suggestions for avoiding similar missteps in the future.

The book "Lessons from the COVID War," published Tuesday, is deliberate in its use of military metaphors. COVID-19 should have been attacked like a foreign invasion, but too often the nation's leaders were absent from the battlefield, they argue.

Group members held "listening sessions" with nearly 300 people, and in the absence of a federal commission on the topic, they felt a duty to speak out about what they found.

To get a deeper sense of what they found and what they believe needs to be done to prevent a repeat, USA TODAY spoke with two of the COVID Crisis Group members:

The book's primary author, Philip Zelikow, who also is the group's director and former 9/11 Commission executive director.

Dr. Mark McClellan, who ran the Food and Drug Administration and then the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services during the George W. Bush administration.

Briefly, what's the answer to why?

Zelikow: We went into a 21st century pandemic with a 19th century system. We've come out of that pandemic essentially retaining the 19th century structure."

What do you think were some of the biggest failures of the pandemic?

McClellan: The big thing was not having systems in place, public health, health care, etc., that were well prepared for the kind of war we can fight now against new infections.

The science available to address a new pathogen like COVID has changed enormously – the ability to develop tests and treatments and vaccines at a pace never before seen in the history of pandemics. We saw heroic activities by health care organizations (and) hospitals all across the country to try to respond to the threats of infection and serious illnesses. That was a remarkable achievement of American health care.

What we were less good at was taking the steps in health care that could have prevented it. Health care and public health need to work together for an effective response in the 21st century.

We've got effective treatments now for COVID. We shouldn't still be seeing 250 deaths a day. We haven't taken those extra steps to connect those amazing biomedical capabilities to getting it to the front lines.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Covid-19 Numbers

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... aths-drop/
The waning of the pandemic led to fewer deaths in America in 2022 than in 2021, according to preliminary data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. But heart disease and cancer deaths rose, and covid-19 remained remarkably lethal, killing more than 500 people a day.

The report shows an overall drop of 5.3 percent in the death rate from all causes, a signal that the country last year had exited the worst phase of the pandemic. Deaths from covid dropped 47 percent between 2021 and 2022.

But covid has not magically become like the flu or a new type of cold. Even though the population had built up high levels of immunity from vaccination and natural infection, covid was the fourth leading cause of death in 2022, behind heart disease (699,659 deaths), cancer (607,790) and “unintentional injury,” which includes drug overdoses (218,064). The CDC estimated that covid was the underlying cause of 186,702 deaths and a contributing factor in another 58,284.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Covid-19 Numbers

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/other/ ... r-AA1bPn81
Last week when a Chinese senior health adviser projected 65 million COVID-19 cases per week in China by June, some health experts sounded the alarm.

China has been facing a new COVID-19 wave fueled by the XBB variant since April. Data from Zhong Nanshan—a respiratory disease doctor who was among the first to confirm COVID-19’s easy transmissibility—provided a rare insight into how the disease could possibly be spreading in China almost six months after Beijing abruptly ended its draconian zero-COVID strategy.

Since pivoting to “living with the virus” policy from early December, the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention stopped updating weekly infections. But the sudden relaxation of anti-epidemic protocols also led to an estimated 37 million new infections a day weeks later. By January, experts said they believed almost 80% of China’s 1.4 billion population had already been infected in this first wave.

For the second wave since April, Zhong’s modeling revealed that the XBB variant is expected to cause 40 million infections weekly by May, going up to 65 million in June. This goes against the grain of Chinese health officials’ estimate that the wave had peaked in April. In Beijing, the number of new infections recorded between May 15 and 21 grew four times in four weeks.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Covid-19 Numbers

Post by AndyinPA »

https://theconversation.com/96-4-of-ame ... 022-207448
Antibodies to SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, were present in the blood of 96.4% of Americans over the age of 16 by September 2022. That’s according to a serosurvey – an analysis testing for the presence of these immune defense molecules – conducted on samples from blood donors.

A serosurvey like this one helps researchers estimate how many people have been exposed to any part of the coronavirus, whether via vaccination or infection. Both can trigger the generation of antibodies to SARS-CoV-2. And by identifying which kind of antibodies someone has in their blood, researchers can break down the 96.4% into different types of immunity: infection-derived, vaccine-derived and hybrid.

COVID-19 vaccines used in the United States are based on only one part of the virus – the spike, or S, protein. Researchers can tell that a person has been vaccinated and has not been infected if their blood has only anti-S antibodies that target that spike protein. If someone has anti-N antibodies, which target the virus’s nucleocapsid protein, it’s a sign that they’ve been infected by SARS-CoV-2. To reliably identify someone with hybrid immunity, a researcher would need to match someone who has anti-N antibodies to an official vaccination database.

What about the 3.6% without antibodies?

Immunologists know that antibody levels decrease in the months after a COVID-19 infection or vaccination, and this is true for many pathogens. It’s possible some people did have antibodies at one point, but they’re no longer detectable. And not every infection leads to a detectable antibody response, particularly if the case was mild or asymptomatic.

Another factor is the accuracy of the antibody test. No test is perfect, so a small percentage of people who truly have antibodies might come up negative.

Together, these considerations mean that the 96.4% number is likely an underestimate. It seems reasonable to conclude that almost no one in this population has neither been infected by SARS-CoV-2 nor received a COVID-19 vaccine.
MN-Skeptic

Covid-19 Numbers

Post by MN-Skeptic »

My sister-in-law belongs to a choral group which puts on several concerts each year. Today was their annual Christmas concert. They did a shorter, one hour concert in a new location yesterday. Unfortunately, one half of the members had Covid and couldn't perform. They started sharing that information yesterday morning, as more and more called in. Even though both the pianist and the backup pianist had Covid, the director managed to come up with last minute replacements for them. Of the 30 women in the choral group, 16 were there today. Of the 16 men in the group, 8 were there. All of today's performers tested negative before they came, and they all wore masks. So, Covid is definitely a thing right now.
sugar magnolia

Covid-19 Numbers

Post by sugar magnolia »

Text message last night that 3 of our board members have Covid. We had a board meeting a week ago so I won't be surprised if more turn up sick.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Covid-19 Numbers

Post by bill_g »

Good reminder to get my covid booster and the rsv shot. Christmas is coming up, and it will be the first time in three years the whole fam damily will celebrate together at boy child #2's house.
qbawl

Covid-19 Numbers

Post by qbawl »

I had my second go around with covid, testing positive on Thanksgiving morning. Interestingly I had gotten the latest vaccine on the 3rd of October. My symptoms were runny nose, congestion, cough, and headache (quite similar to a sinus infection) and though worse than the first time not debilitating. Somehow I managed to not gift it to my wife this time! So just a reminder the shot does not always confer immunity, but it does mitigate the symptoms IMHO.

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”