Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

The Media are the Goddam Problem

Uninformed

Re: The Media are the Goddam Problem

Post by Uninformed »

“Broken News review: fired Fox News editor has broadsides for both sides”:
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2022/ ... walt-trump

“Late on 3 November 2020, Fox News called Arizona for Joe Biden. In that moment, Rupert Murdoch’s US flagship upended Donald Trump’s re-election bid. Chris Stirewalt, a decade-long Fox News editor, was part of the team that put the state in the Democrat’s column. One insurrection and two months later, the network fired him.”

“Not surprisingly, Stirewalt has little patience for performative politicians. He lumps together Ted Cruz and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, and pairs Marjorie Taylor Greene with Rashida Tlaib. He suggests such figures excel at triggering partisan outrage but lack Trump’s entertainment chops.”
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Tapper (CNN) attacks MSNBC as being politically biased.
Acyn @Acyn wrote: Tapper: A bunch of MSNBC legal commentators attacked you. Have they apologized at all…. I guess some legal commentators have a difficult time stripping out the politics
(Also, too, MSNBC commentators didn't attack Honig, they disagreed with his legal analysis. Poot fight?)
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
June bug

Post by June bug »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:48 pm Tapper (CNN) attacks MSNBC as being politically biased.
Acyn @Acyn wrote: Tapper: A bunch of MSNBC legal commentators attacked you. Have they apologized at all…. I guess some legal commentators have a difficult time stripping out the politics
(Also, too, MSNBC commentators didn't attack Honig, they disagreed with his legal analysis. Poot fight?)
Yep Tapper’s suckin’ up to the new boss big time!
raison de arizona

Tapper thinks Biden should invite tfg to the Queen's funeral.
Aaron Rupar @atrupar wrote: CNN is currently doing a panel discussion about if Biden should invite Trump to the Queen's funeral. Jake Tapper says it would be "clever" for Biden to do it.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Lani

Post by Lani »

CNN is currently doing a panel discussion about if Biden should invite Trump to the Queen's funeral. Jake Tapper says it would be "clever" for Biden to do it.
[/quote]

What the fuck is going on with CNN?
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I don't think Biden gets to invite people to another family's funeral, and it's not amusing to try to score political points on another family and nation's grief.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

With new CNN ownership we get to see who are game players and who are true journalists.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:00 am I don't think Biden gets to invite people to another family's funeral, and it's not amusing to try to score political points on another family and nation's grief.
I saw an article this morning that said Biden can take an entourage (not the word they used but chemo brain has kicked in) of X number of people with him. He gets to decide who those people will be, so I guess he's technically inviting people to another person's funeral. I'll see if I can find the article again.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I can think of at least 320 million Americans he would take before he would take Donald Trump, though.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:02 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:00 am I don't think Biden gets to invite people to another family's funeral, and it's not amusing to try to score political points on another family and nation's grief.
I saw an article this morning that said Biden can take an entourage (not the word they used but chemo brain has kicked in) of X number of people with him. He gets to decide who those people will be, so I guess he's technically inviting people to another person's funeral. I'll see if I can find the article again.
Presumably some Secret Service, or maybe they're assumed. Dr. Jill, presumably, unless she was part of the invitation. Family/friends/VIPs with ties to the royal family or British gov't. But not the seller of secrets in Florida.
raison de arizona

sugar magnolia wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:02 pm
I heard the same on the radio. They said that the head of state would be invited, who would then choose who to bring. Meaning, the UK is not going to invite Obama and other former presidents, for instance, but Biden is free to, and expected to.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Foggy wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:07 pm I can think of at least 320 million Americans he would take before he would take Donald Trump, though.
I think it's up to 330 million plus, including non-adults.
United States Population 2022 (Live)
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Of course I can't find it again... I read a tweet yesterday talking about our presidents attending funerals of other world leaders. I think the story was from CNN, but I can't find it. Anyway, it sounded like the president is issued an invitation for a set number of people. Or important people? that he can invite. It's up to him, then, to extend the invitation to the other folks he wants to include. If you think about it, on a global scale, that would make sense.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Just putting this out. Similarities. Not twins, but similarities.
R (5).jpeg
R (5).jpeg (304.37 KiB) Viewed 1700 times
Camilla-Parker-Bowles-Photo-C-GETTY-IMAGES-0050.jpeg
Camilla-Parker-Bowles-Photo-C-GETTY-IMAGES-0050.jpeg (103.79 KiB) Viewed 1700 times
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
raison de arizona

Don't touch the third rail.
raison de arizona

Everyone should stop using Russian stock images to represent the US. I shouldn't have to say this.

This is Gray Television, who appears to be affiliated with NBC. Greta Van Susteren works there.
► Show Spoiler
busterbunker

Post by busterbunker »

C'mon man, media budgets are getting tight. You can buy a photo of a Russian warship for like a quarter of a U.S. warship's price.
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2022/1 ... w-he-talks
Media paints Fetterman's closed captioning as bigger campaign issue than Oz's abortion ban evasions

The situation is this: Fetterman still has difficulty with auditory processing—to do an interview, for instance, or a debate, he needs to read what is being said to him, using widely available closed captioning technology. Having read it, he can answer out loud, with occasional verbal slip-ups. Similarly, he can deliver campaign speeches with a few stumbles over words as his recovery continues.

After Fetterman did an interview with NBC News’s Dasha Burns in which he used closed captioning, successfully, to take questions, the media Heathers pounced.

“This is a rough clip for ⁦@JohnFetterman⁩, will only fuel questions about his health,” high-profile New York Times reporter Jonathan Martin tweeted.

”An important interview with top Senate contender,” CBS News reporter Ed O'Keefe chimed in. “Will Pennsylvanians be comfortable with someone representing them who had to conduct a TV interview this way?”

The man is reading! That’s it. And occasionally he has a brief verbal struggle like this one, in that NBC interview: “I always thought I was pretty empathetic, uh … “ he said, pausing, raising his eyes. “Emphetic. I think I was very, excuse me, empathetic—you know, that’s an example of the stroke—empathetic. I always thought I was very empathetic before having a stroke. But now after having that stroke I really understand you know, much more, the kind of challenges that Americans have day in and day out.” (Let me as the transcriptionist of that snippet note, on the subject of Fetterman’s speech, that he was speaking at a normal-to-fast pace.)

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

SNL has better coverage of Herschel Walker than the mainstream media
gift article from Washington Post
This moment [the fake police badge] was as devastating as former Texas governor Rick Perry’s “oops” moment or Florida Republican Sen. Marco Rubio’s stumble in the 2016 GOP presidential debate. Yet too many in the mainstream media chose to downplay Walker’s unfitness and habitual lying.

Likewise, Walker’s rejection of a price cap on insulin because “you got to eat right” didn’t even make some media outlets’ takeaway lists. It was as if the difference between the candidates amounted to sober disputes over health-care policy.

In mainstream publications, you had to leave the news pages and go to opinion columns to understand what was going on. The Times’s Charles M. Blow, for example, explained that Walker has “a base inability to convey his ideas in complete thoughts or sentences. And like a child, when his words fail, he fills in the gaps with energy and emotion, hostility and humor.”

That is a factual observation, yet reporters shy from conveying such information for fear of seeming biased.
The result: They failed to inform voters that Walker is truly unqualified for the position.

The media’s unwillingness to accurately describe Republican candidates is nothing new. They spent four years refraining from making simple observations about President Donald Trump’s incoherence and uncontrolled rage, as if pointing out what was in front of their noses would have violated some journalistic code.

The mainstream media may not intend to help the GOP with their lack of candor or their refusal to force Republicans to contend with the crazy statements from their fellow party members. But that is precisely what their coverage accomplishes. Because they are unable to call out candidates as bonkers or unintelligible, they make Republicans more acceptable to voters. That’s a disservice to our democracy.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:yeahthat:
raison de arizona

Ayman @AymanM wrote: Yet again, the media has not learned its lesson from 2016. The NY Times writing about an antisemitic, anti-democratic, election denying, pro-insurrectionist, QAnon believer as if she were an underdog sports figure returning from an injury.
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

FORMER political pariah? I guess now that the NYT has published her gutsy comeback story, we can all breathe a sigh of relief.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Nancy slays the appalling Andrea Mitchell.

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I thought Andrea was retiring. When is she leaving. She's useless.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:58 pm I thought Andrea was retiring. When is she leaving. She's useless.
Sadly, no retirement I've heard of.

She has great stories to tell about international relations and dictators she has interacted with. But as a noon host on domestic politics, she is abominable--not least because she has no clue about how the the words she utters and the way she utters them slant the news. My memories of her bashing Hillary day in and day out for the six months prior to the 2016 election are etched into my brain. She is the source of "but her emails" IMO. Now she is doing "but inflation." No analysis, no questioning of the inviolate voting public, no depth of discussion. As Nancy said, "Oh, come on." Of all the so-called liberal media, she is the strongest proponent of bothsidesism.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”