Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

The Media are the Goddam Problem

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I noticed that here, too, across the state from Philadelphia, when Mastriani was mentioned, it was often pointed out that he was an election denier and QAnon supporter.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:10 pm
The news business, with its emphasis on what just occurred, has a built-in bias against repetition. Writing a story a second time — even if such a story is necessary to provide context — can be dismissed as “old news.”
Not a comment about the story, but about the highlighting.

Growing up with a brother who is colorblind - red, green, and brown all look similar to him - I am especially aware of situations in which I know my brother would have issues. I can't imagine any person with the common red/green colorblind issue being able to easily read the above passage.

In the below quotes, I've used the glow command but with glow=yellow, glow=white, and glow=cyan selected. Would that work for people reading these quotes here?
The news business, with its emphasis on what just occurred, has a built-in bias against repetition. Writing a story a second time — even if such a story is necessary to provide context — can be dismissed as “old news.”

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Thanks, TRL!

That was fascinating--and the part about how repetition is anathema for the press was particularly enlightening. I am one of what must be millions who read an article and wonder how the writer could possibly leave out the most salient information about a candidate. I get this response when talking heads chat about TFG's campaign for 2024 without mentioning impeachment or looming indictment or racist tweets--any one of which would make him unfit to run let alone govern. I've always assumed it was their baked in belief that "the voters must decide" but fuck me, this is 2022 and misinformation is king, for pete's sake.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Thanks, MN! Especially thanks for proposing the different colors. I forgot I could highlight and select black, but then we need to know which highlighted color! :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Mrich

Post by Mrich »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:41 pm
In the below quotes, I've used the glow command but with glow=yellow, glow=white, and glow=cyan selected. Would that work for people reading these quotes here?

I can hardly tell the white glow is there, but I can easily see and read the cyan and yellow - both better than the red.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Andrea #butheremails Mitchell is proud to be the first to announce that the classified documents found on Biden-related premises is the end of his bid for re-election in 2024.

I kid you not.

She has a six person panel, but she does most of the talking and ALL of the conclusion-drawing.

She's miffed because he SAYS he's transparent, but why didn't he tell the media the day the docs were found, before the election, if he's so transparent (Ed. Yes, Andrea, give me your list of politicians who have done that, or who you think would do that.)

MOREOVER, she points out, after a y'know, ex-Justice dude points out that if there was wrongdoing done, whoever did it will be punished according to the law, that although that MIGHT be true, the POLITICAL APPEARANCE can't be avoided.

Trash Biden press office with a back-handed swipe and bolster by saying that EVEN DEMOCRATS say this was handled badly.

:sick:
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

biden06.jpg
biden06.jpg (62.3 KiB) Viewed 1490 times
Hic sunt dracones
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Nikki Haley is 51. Don Lemon is an asshat. There is a lot of distance between her and geriatrics like tfg and Biden. Criticize her on something substantive. :mad:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Yeah, that was dumb. There is plenty to criticize Haley about, her age is not one of them.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

It's actually a response to Haley asking for competency tests for anyone over the age of 75. Unspoken part - Trump is 76. This insult must be bounced back on her.
Hic sunt dracones
raison de arizona

Suranis wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:36 pm It's actually a response to Haley asking for competency tests for anyone over the age of 75. Unspoken part - Trump is 76. This insult must be bounced back on her.
She has a point, not an insult, which can and has been be debated. Lemon does not. Or it's a lame point, I guess. Obama was 47 when he became president, can you imagine debating whether he was past his prime?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:05 pm
Suranis wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:36 pm It's actually a response to Haley asking for competency tests for anyone over the age of 75. Unspoken part - Trump is 76. This insult must be bounced back on her.
She has a point, not an insult, which can and has been be debated. Lemon does not. Or it's a lame point, I guess. Obama was 47 when he became president, can you imagine debating whether he was past his prime?
The implication sounds like past child bearing = past prime.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I'm not debating whether she has a point or not. The fact is - that will be seen as a slap in the face to Trumpy. It does not matter if its rational, he and the media frenzy that still surrounds him are not rational. And neither will be the response.

Thats why they are saying that she should be tested for competency, - to get back at her for saying that about the Orange god.
Edit: Now I do agree she has a point, but I'm saying thats not why they are saying it about her here. I know you don't want to believe things are that petty in the great US of A, but they are.
Hic sunt dracones
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Just some corroboration

https://twitter.com/Angry_Staffer/statu ... 2800944129
Angry Staffer 🌻@Angry_Staffer

The part of this clip that caught my eye:

“We need competency tests for any elected official over 75”

She’s going to go after Trump’s mental state in the primary. She’s also going to fail, because she’s going after a GOP that no longer exists.
SEZ Time for Consequences@sezblue46

Think she’s also targeting President Biden
Angry Staffer 🌻@Angry_Staffer

She is, but there’s a reason she used “75” and not “80”

She’s using ostensible attack on Biden to go after Trump, who is 76 and just conveniently over her age threshold
Hic sunt dracones
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

but the media was breathlessly waiting for her rally :evil:
raison de arizona

pipistrelle wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:10 pm
Unsure what the point would be of that in the context of presidential aspirations.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Exactly. But it is a window on how certain men see women: Childbearing is their only raison d’être. Everything else, judgement, intellect, etc, must also deteriorate if the ovaries aren’t functioning. Like some kind of object with moving parts that wear out and render it useless.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Suranis wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:10 pm
Edit: Now I do agree she has a point, but I'm saying thats not why they are saying it about her here. I know you don't want to believe things are that petty in the great US of A, but they are.
How do you read all the posts here and think we don't know how petty this country is or that we consider it to be "the great US of A"? Lots of us point out all sorts of pettiness and talk about just how fucked up this country is. There certainly aren't any jingoists here that I've seen, and the cynicism about the US runs deep.

It seems like you often couch things in condescending phrases like "I know you don't want to believe\think\admit\etc. such and such about America, but..." as if you think we're some kind of naive ninnies being lead around by our noses, blindly unaware that our country sucks and only you, the mighty outsider, can break these terrible truths to us. We're a LOT more aware than you seem to give us credit for. Yes. There are hundreds of thousands of people in this country who DO think we're the greatest nation on Earth and can do no wrong, but few if any of them are here at Fogbow.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:45 pm
How do you read all the posts here and think we don't know how petty this country is or that we consider it to be "the great US of A"? Lots of us point out all sorts of pettiness and talk about just how fucked up this country is. There certainly aren't any jingoists here that I've seen, and the cynicism about the US runs deep.

It seems like you often couch things in condescending phrases like "I know you don't want to believe\think\admit\etc. such and such about America, but..." as if you think we're some kind of naive ninnies being lead around by our noses, blindly unaware that our country sucks and only you, the mighty outsider, can break these terrible truths to us. We're a LOT more aware than you seem to give us credit for. Yes. There are hundreds of thousands of people in this country who DO think we're the greatest nation on Earth and can do no wrong, but few if any of them are here at Fogbow.
:lovestruck:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:yeahthat:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:45 pm

Actually, what was the dismissal of what I said, and the talk as though I hadn't said anything that got to me. Refusing to believe that her insulting Trump was the obvious context and insisting that it had to be some strange thing about her womanhood caused me eyestrain. Its freaking hard not to be condescending when you are getting condescending back from everyone else here, no matter what I say. It's not that you can do no wrong, it's that you think I can do no right.

Why do I bother. This isn't worth the heartache anymore,
Hic sunt dracones
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Yes, she was insulting trump with her suggestion, no doubt. But the comment that she is past her prime IS a swipe at her being female. Lemon made that clear.
Don Lemon: "Nikki Haley isn’t in her prime. Sorry, when a woman is considered to be in her prime in her 20s, and 30s, and maybe 40s
He could, and would not, have used the same insult if a man in his 50s made the same suggestion Haley did, if for no other reason that that he would be conceding that the other, male candidates who are well past their 50s are even more past their prime.

Lemon - at least the last time I watched any of his shows - is no fan of trump, so some of the skepticism that he was trying to score a point in retaliation for her insulting trump may stem from that. But it also comes from the fact that he chose an insult that can *only* be used against a woman, making it clear that at least part of the context of his comment was that she is female.

Perhaps both views are at least partially on point. It's possible that with the new management at CNN, Lemon has become more of a trump fan than he had been, and was upset she dared to insult the great one, so he took a shot at her womanhood.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:34 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:10 pm

Unsure what the point would be of that in the context of presidential aspirations.
It's about Lemon dismissing women as they get older and child bearing ("prime"), not about presidential aspirations.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Tasmanian newspaper publishes, then retracts, letter featuring fake trans allegation

Staff working for a Tasmanian council have faced ongoing abuse after a local newspaper published a letter to the editor incorrectly claiming that a man had entered the female change rooms of a council-run swimming pool.

As ABC's Media Watch reported this week, the Launceston Examiner published a letter alleging that young girls had been in the changing rooms of the Launceston Leisure and Aquatic Centre when a man entered and started to undress in front of them.

According to the letter, the man was forcibly removed by another patron but staff at the centre refused to take action because the person removed identified as female. Meanwhile, the patron who supposedly stepped in was said to have been given a life ban from the facility.

However, Launceston City Council denied the allegations, saying no such incident had occurred.

"Disappointingly, the newspaper made no attempt to check the veracity of the letter with the council," Mayor Danny Gibson told the ABC.

"The publishing of this letter has, as you could expect, resulted in considerable angst and grief for council staff, particularly those at the front desk at the aquatic centre and, indeed, those on the ends of the telephone, who continue to be the subject of ongoing abuse."

The editor of The Examiner, Mark Westfield, said in a clarification published a day later: "We appear to have been misled."

Westfield, who has reportedly since left his position, served as a media adviser to former prime minister Malcolm Turnbull and managed the 2022 election campaign of Liberal candidate Katherine Deves, who has come under fire for her comments on transgender issues.
raison de arizona

Shouldn't we let the badly burned migrants die instead of receiving medical care in the US, since that may incentivize other migrants to badly burn themselves in order to enter the US?

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”