Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Happy Things

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Re: Happy Things

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://apnews.com/article/government-a ... 2b5b0bbd4d
1st female sailor completes Navy special warfare training
For the first time, a female sailor has successfully completed the grueling 37-week training course to become a Naval Special Warfare combatant-craft crewman — the boat operators who transport Navy SEALs and conduct their own classified missions at sea.

Navy officials said they would not identify the woman or provide more details on her — a routine military policy for special operations forces. She was one of 17 sailors to graduate and receive their pins on Thursday. She is also the first of 18 women who have tried out for a job as a SWCC or a SEAL to succeed.

The sailor’s graduation marks just the latest inroad that women have made into some of the military’s most difficult and competitive commando jobs — just five years after all combat posts were opened to them. She will now head to one of Naval Special Warfare’s three special boat teams.

“Becoming the first female to graduate from a Naval Special Warfare training pipeline is an extraordinary accomplishment and we are incredibly proud of our teammate,” said Rear Adm. H.W. Howard III, the commander of Naval Special Warfare. “Like her fellow operators, she demonstrated the character, cognitive and leadership attributes required to join our force.”

"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Lani

Post by Lani »

After 24 years of searching, parents are reunited with abducted son
https://theweek.com/world/1002627/after ... ducted-son
Guo Gangtang and Zhang Wenge never gave up hope that they would be reunited with their missing son, Guo Xinzhen — and after 24 years, their family is back together again.

When Xinzhen was two years old, he was abducted from outside his family's home south of Beijing, Inside Edition reports. Hundreds of volunteers tried to find the toddler, with no luck. Gangtang did everything he could to bring awareness to his son's case, and ended up riding 300,000 miles across China by motorcycle so he could visit every province and pass out flyers showing a picture of Xinzhen.

While he didn't track down Xinzhen, Gangtang did find other children who had been kidnapped, and reunited them with their families, China's state-run Xinhua News reports. Gangtang's dedication caught the attention of movie producers, who turned his story into the 2015 film Lost and Love. When the movie came out, he told reporters that it was "impossible" for him to stop searching for his son, and had no plans of ever giving up until he had been found.

DNA testing conducted earlier this year by China's Ministry of Public Service found a potential match to Xinzhen in the province next to where his parents live, and further testing revealed that it was him. Xinzhen, now 26 and a teacher, had a tearful reunion with his parents on Sunday.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Lani

Post by Lani »

I got my annual job evaluation yesterday. There have been a lot of challenges, and I didn't know what to expect. In part because I was called in to conduct a very serious investigation because I'm known to be a neutral party. There were attempts to make me change my conclusion. I refused to do so.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
The other part is that I'm not well.
Hidden Content
There are some technical problems. Those of us working from home have problems with linking to our office desktops and/or coordinating with in-office peeps, which messes up our documents, etc. I've been blamed for not constructing documents properly, but they are fine on my computer. It's an ongoing IT problem. And there is the false belief that work at home peeps are just cruising. No, it usually takes a little more time because of the computer hiccups and communication delays. But it's worth that time because no one is stuck driving in rush hour and it's worth being at home when the kids return from school or elder family members need assistance. Due to my report on EEOC's position, now many of us can continue to work from home indefinitely. :dance:

Anyway, despite being scared, I finally looked at the evaluation. Scale of 1 to 4, I was ranked 3 categories at 4 stars and 1 one category at 3 stars. Average of 4 stars! :dance:
Hidden Content
Sorry for the long rant.
Hidden Content
Despite legal options, it is a difficult, lonely and expensive process to pursue. Glad EEOC is stepping up.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

:thumbsup:

:bighug:

:fivestar: :fivestar: :fivestar: :fivestar: :mbounce:
Lani

Post by Lani »

Thanks. It means a lot.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Dave from down under wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:21 am :thumbsup:

:fivestar: :fivestar: :fivestar: :fivestar: :mbounce:
:yeahthat:
:groupdance:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Lani, congratulations and I'm sure you will always be five stars on Fogbow. :bighug:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Tiredretiredlawyer

LANI!!!!!!!!!!!!. You win a Fogbow Gold Medal!!!!!!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Congrats, Lani!

"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.texasmonthly.com/being-texa ... ty-drives/
A Fort Worth 10-Year-Old Has Collected 40,000 Books for Kids in Need
Orion Jean has also donated 100,984 meals and 619 toys, making the rest of us look lazy.

Who: Ten-year-old Orion Jean from Fort Worth.

What: He plans to collect 500,000 books for kids in need, and has gathered 40,000 so far.

Why it’s so great: When Orion Jean won the National Kindness Speech Contest last year, the then nine-year-old could have saved the $500 prize for his college fund (or blown it on Legos) and called it a day. Instead, he used his winning speech as a launchpad for a yearlong effort to spread kindness across Texas and around the country. With the help of his mother Kherri Jean, he set up a website called Race to Kindness last summer. Then he was on the lookout for his first project.

He decided to start by donating toys to sick kids at Children’s Medical Center Dallas. “These kids are my age, and they’re just kids like me,” he recalls thinking before he launched a drive for five hundred toys in August 2020. Jean’s parents had helped him set up social media pages, and he filmed videos about the toy drive for them to post on his behalf. Donations began streaming in, and he collected and donated 619 toys to the hospital in only a month.

Not long after, in October, Jean set the ambitious goal of donating 100,000 free meals in time for Thanksgiving. “One of the most memorable parts of Thanksgiving is about the food and being thankful for the things that you have,” he says. “Unfortunately, some people may not have Thanksgiving meals, or meals in general on other nights. I felt like it was of great significance that we ended the drive around that date.”

But why stop there? An avid reader, Jean says he saw a statistic stating that two out of three kids living in poverty have no books of their own. He decided to collect 500,000 books for disadvantaged children. So far, he has gathered some 40,000 books and hopes to have the rest by the end of August, after at least two more book drop-off events he’s scheduled in the Dallas–Fort Worth area. “We’ve got a long way to go, but we believe with the support of the community and hopefully the country, that we can reach this goal and help kids get books that they might not have had otherwise,” he says.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Hansle Parchment thanks woman who paid for taxi to race where he won Olympic gold 110m champion struggled to make final after taking wrong bus
Local volunteer stepped in to pay for taxi to Olympic Stadium

Guardian sport
Wed 11 Aug 2021 17.52 BST

Jamaican hurdler Hansle Parchment has tracked down and thanked a Tokyo 2020 volunteer who paid for his taxi to the Olympic Stadium, where he subsequently won a gold medal.

Parchment told the story in a video posted to social media last weekend, which ended with him meeting the volunteer, whom he called Tiana. He thanked her, showed her the gold medal, gave her a Jamaican Olympic shirt and paid her back the money she had lent.

“You were instrumental in me getting to the final that day,” he told her before they posed for a photo.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/ ... taxi-money
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Damn. I just assumed they would make sure the athletes were actually at the events and didn't rely on them finding their own way there by bus. Trying to navigate pubic transportation in a foreign city and country is bad enough if you don't know the language, even worse if you're stressed or distracted by, you know, being an Olympic competitor on your way to your event.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I have a cousin whose grandson was born deaf. He was one of the youngest babies ever fitted with a cochlear implant. They had a video on Facebook at the time.

:lovestruck:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I just LOVE the online videos of little ones hearing for the first time!

I'll also make a plug here for EnChroma Glasses. They're glasses which allow color-blind people to see colors better. I've mentioned them before on the old incarnation of TheFogbow and I LOVE watching the videos of folks trying out their EnChroma glasses for the first time. (Watching happy videos is what reminded me of them.)

The more common red-green color blindness runs in my family. My brother is color blind as is a couple of my nephews. For Christmas 2018 I gave my brother money for a prescription pair of EnChroma sunglasses. Since the glasses are most effective with bright light, the company recommends their sunglasses if you're only buying one pair of their glasses. My brother was AMAZED at reds and purples and red cars and red flowers and purple shirts and fall foliage. He does a lot of photo editing, so I bought him a pair of indoor glasses too for Christmas 2019. Anyway, if you know someone who is color blind, I highly recommend checking out these glasses and watching the videos of folks trying them out for the first time. I just wish my brother had had them growing up.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

My husband is color blind, mostly shade blind, but there have been times when he absolutely could not see what was obvious to me. He was the oldest son; the other two sons were progressively worse. Not sure if this always happens, but that's what happened in his family. My understanding is that it is passed down through the mother, and my grandson is also color blind. It seems to be about the same as my husband. I will have to mention the glasses to my daughter and SIL.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:12 pm My understanding is that it is passed down through the mother…
Yeah. My mom’s father was color blind. Both my mom and her sister were then carriers of the gene so my brother is color blind and one of my aunt’s sons was color blind. At least two of my sisters are carriers of the gene since they each have a color blind son. To pass the gene on to a daughter, the father has to be color blind and the mother has to be a carrier.

(My family is mostly math and/or biology based, so genetics is an interesting subject to all. We also get a kick out of blood types. Dad was type A, Mom was type AB, so we have quite a mix with us seven children - 2 A’s, 2 B’s, and 3 AB’s.)
Tiredretiredlawyer

WE ARE SAVED!!!!!!!!!!!!
RENO 911 IS COMING BACK!!!!!!

https://uproxx.com/tv/roku-rescues-reno-911/
Roku Has Greenlit More Episodes Of ‘Reno 911,’ Rescuing It From The Burning Ashes Of Quibi

Lieutenant Jim Dangle will not die! Thomas Lennon’s microscopic shorts-loving head of the Reno Sheriff’s Department and the rest of the Reno 911! gang have been part of the pop culture fabric for nearly 20 years—and they’re not going anywhere. As Variety reports, viewers will get the chance to continue witnessing the utter ineptitude of Dangle, Deputy Trudy Wiegel (Kerri Kenney-Silver, who co-created the series with Lennon and Robert Ben Garant) and the rest of the gang thanks to Roku which, after acquiring the series from the ill-fated Quibi, has ordered four more half-hour episodes of the long-running Cops parody.

As Michael Schneider writes:

Quibi shut down in December, less than a year after its much-heralded launch. The Jeffrey Katzenberg-Meg Whitman startup and its promise of delivering “quick bite” content to users exclusively on their phones became a bit of a punchline in the industry. But the programming itself was rather solid, attracting top Hollywood producers and stars. Clearly TV Academy voters found it Emmy-worthy: Last year, Quibi won two Emmys (for “#FreeRayshawn”).

MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

A big happy, I had one! Yesterday I happened into a dear friend and long lost nurse I use to work with a hundred years or so ago at Kohl’s. What a big OMG hug we had at the shop throwing our arms around each other. There were two wheelchairs at the front of the shop in the event a customer may need one so we sat down right there and yacked it up for nearly an hour! I have to say, that was the warmest hug I’ve had in a very long time, AND she’s a great grandma now! :lovestruck:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Nice!
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

American Vet Returns to Italy to Greet ‘Bambini’ He Last Saw in 1944
The daughter of a World War II veteran used the internet to track down three children he was photographed with 77 years ago — after almost firing on them. On Monday, they finally met face to face.

By Elisabetta Povoledo
Aug. 23, 2021

BOLOGNA, Italy — The last time Martin Adler saw the three Naldi siblings in person, it was during World War II in the central Italian village of Cassano di Monterenzio, some 40 kilometers south of Bologna, during an Allied offensive.

Searching door-to-door for German soldiers in October, 1944, Mr. Adler, then a 20-year-old American private, and another soldier stumbled upon a large wicker container covered with a cloth in one house and were about to open fire after seeing it suddenly move.

Mr. Adler hesitated and a woman burst into the room screaming: “bambini, bambini” — “children, children” — and two girls and a boy popped out of what turned out to be a cradle. The two American soldiers lowered their rifles and laughed in relief. A photograph of Mr. Alder with the children immortalized the encounter.

On Monday, Mr. Adler, now 97, and the three Naldi “bambini” — Bruno, 83, Mafalda, 82, and Giuliana, 80 — met in person for the first time in 77 years at the Bologna airport, amid a boisterous scrum of local, national and international media.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/23/worl ... -WWII.html

IIRC on TFB1.0 it was reported that the daughter found the GI
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Unboxing My 3D Printed Prosthetic Arm!

12 Apr 2021
ABSHOW

What.a.journey. this has been! Thank you to my followers here an on my other social channels for being on it with me. Thanks especially to Unlimited Tomorrow, the team behind these incredible prosthetic devices.

This is the full video of my TikTok livestream unboxing I did last week. Thanks to all 400 of you who joined me live! Stay tuned her an on my other social pages for more videos of me trying out different things with my new 3D printed prosthetic arm!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup: :bighug: :biggrin:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

:lovestruck:

Return to “General Stuff”