Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Happy Things

RVInit

Re: Happy Things

Post by RVInit »

MsDaisy wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:13 am I hope they bring her to London for Christmas, MrDaisy's sister (the new baby's grandma) lives there and we're going over for the holidays. I'm very much looking forward to meeting her in person! :lovestruck:
:clap: :bighug:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.yahoo.com/now/atlanta-brave ... 12600.html
Atlanta Braves Honor Hank Aaron and His Family with Emotional Tribute Ceremony During World Series

The late Hank Aaron and his loved ones received a special tribute from the Atlanta Braves on Friday.

The Aaron family was honored with a special ceremony prior to Game 3 of the World Series at Truist Park more than nine months after the legendary baseball player died in January at age 86.

The celebration on Friday began with a video tribute for Aaron, who is considered by many as one of the greatest baseball players in history.

The Braves then introduced Aaron's widow Billye Aaron, who appeared emotional as she received a rousing round of applause from the crowd while the theme from Disney's 1994 film Angels in the Outfield played in the background.

Also, the ceremonial first pitch was thrown out by Aaron's son Hank Aaron Jr., who was joined by his sisters Gaile and Dorinda and Aaron's grandson, Raynal Aaron.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

“Appeal after trick-or-treaters bring Newcastle grandma gifts”:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-59116997

“A group of trick-or-treaters who bought gifts for a great-grandmother are being sought by the woman's family to say thank you.
Brenda Burdon, 86, was visited at home in Denton, Newcastle, by three children called Jessie, Olivia and Walter.
She apologised for having no treats to give them when they visited on Thursday but the next day they returned with a card, chocolates and a £10 note.”

“Mr Parker said the children told his grandmother they did not mind she did not have any treats.
According to his grandmother the children then said: "It's OK, because sometimes making people happy and getting a nice big smile is reward enough."”
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup: :bighug:

Somebody is raising those kids properly!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/keishia-th ... her-prize/

A Maryland high school English teacher who has worked to open up college education for her students has won the $1 million Global Teacher Prize, the Varkey Foundation announced Wednesday.

Keishia Thorpe, who teaches at International High School at Langley Park in Prince George's County, was selected from more than 8,000 nominations and applications from 121 countries around the world, the foundation said. Thorpe said she was grateful to the foundation for putting teachers in the spotlight and telling their stories.

"Education is a human right, and all children should be entitled to have access to it," Thorpe said during a ceremony streamed online. "So this recognition is not just about me, but about all the dreamers who work so hard and dare to dream of ending generational poverty."
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

A few of my happy things today:

Bannon went to jail.
Alex Jones lost.
Squidney lost another fruitloop case.
Arbery's Killer has a clown for an attorney, mistrial was denied and the judge threw him some verbal shade.

Oh! Edit to add that Biden is signing the Infrastructure Bill into law!
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://lite.cnn.com/en/article/h_6bb39 ... 44657d2ee6
When granted a 'Make-A-Wish,' this 13-year-old chose to feed his city's homeless for a year

It began in June 2020, when Abraham was diagnosed with aplastic anemia, a rare and life-threatening blood disorder. The disease is a type of bone marrow failure that made it impossible to produce enough blood cells to support his body.

"I am a person of hope, so when you come against a big mountain, you have to remember you have a big God," Abraham told CNN affiliate WLBT.

Because the disease causes bone marrow damage, Abraham needed a bone marrow transplant to survive.

"I had my transplant 10 months ago in November 2020, so I am doing good," he told WLBT.

Make-A-Wish Mississippi, which grants wishes to children and teens ages 2-18 who are often battling devastating illnesses, made his wish come true, bringing to life Abraham's Table, a service that provides meals to the homeless every third Saturday.

On those days, Abraham and a group of volunteers stand in Jackson's Poindexter Park distributing meals and will continue to do so with Make-A-Wish for the next year.

By Alaa Elassar, CNN
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:lovestruck:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I am so thrilled for my sister-in-law this week.

My 70-year old Seattle SIL was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer this summer and has been undergoing chemo for it. After an initial horrible reaction to one chemo drug, she's now doing well. But my SIL is an avid bicyclist - we're talking 5,000+ miles per year on her bike. Not only does she love the physical aspect of it, it's also a highly social activity for her. There are regular outings both in the Seattle area and, during the milder months, out of town days long outings. Since my SIL began chemo, she hasn't had the stamina to ride her bike. But things changed this week! Karma was at work. My SIL decided to check out electronic assist bikes but knew she would probably have to wait months to get one. E-bikes are one of the items with a major supply chain problem. But it turned out the someone had ordered an e-bike at her favorite bike store, then changed his mind. It was the perfect size for my SIL. So she bought it! And yesterday she went on a 16-mile bike ride with a friend. It makes me want to dance!

I have a sister-in-law in Minnesota who is just an occasional bike rider and she also has an e-bike, mostly so she knows that she can get home if she gets too tired to pedal that last uphill climb to their house.

Anyway, for some of the folks here wanting to get out for a bit more exercise, you might want to consider an e-bike for yourself.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

That makes a lovely read. :biggrin:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Two wonderful stories this morning. I am blessed to be able to find out about so many heartwarming, lovely, uplifting, happy-ending events and stories. The boogle is the bestest!

:bighug: :lovestruck:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

--Colin Kaepernick
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

I was witness to a Miracle yesterday in the grocery - A couple paid for someone elses food.

No, it wasn't me. I considered it, and within seconds they had his credit card out to do it themselves.

So, it's the Saturday before Thanksgiving, and the local Safeway is packed. Everyone is building their Thursday dinner today which is holiday normal. It's also expected the checkout lines will be long. What was unexpected was the goose with all her goslings being unable to pay. All of her cards were declined. Who knows what happened. She and the checker kept their composure as she rummaged her purse for anything.

I ran several scenarios through my mind: ask everyone in line to pass $5 forward so she could checkout; or send my card forward. Just then the couple immediately behind her got their card out, and offered to pay the $70 and change she needed.

We all applauded. The checker was stunned. The mother was grateful. The line moved forward.

Were we scammed, or truly generous?

The Goose was very calm, more calm then I would be if I was suddenly broke. Maybe she was absolutely stunned. Hard to say. But, she didn't immediately decline their offer either. She accepted graciously.

Let's give the couple their due. They were generous. God Bless them. They were Living up to the Holiday Spirit. Kudos. Bravo. Thank you.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Very nice!

I've seen a number of posts on Next Door lately about people doing something like this. Very nice, indeed!
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Happy people: FliteTest. Josh and the crew love what they're doing and there's lots of laughing:

Tiredretiredlawyer

https://politicalcharge.org/2021/11/24/ ... good-news/
Time to Give Thanks for Good News!
BY TOKYOSAND on NOVEMBER 24, 2021 • ( 2 )

A federal jury has found the white supremacist and neo-Nazi organizers liable for more than $25 million in damages over the deadly 2017 “Unite the Right” rally in Charlottesville

Wisconsin Governor Tony Evers (D) vetoed the GOP legislature’s gerrymandered maps

A Kansas City cop was found guilty in a fatal shooting of Cameron Lamb, a Black man. He’s the first to stand trial for such a shooting since 1941.

Rep. Paul Gosar (R) was censured by the House of Representatives and removed from his two committees

The Senate approved Charles F. Sams as the Director of the National Park Service, the first Native American to lead it
Moar at the link.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

The restaurant is Papi's Mexican Cuisine in Denham Springs, LA.

Image Image Image Image
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-tea ... uxbndlbing
A teacher raised more than $100,000 to purchase enough food to keep thousands of children from going hungry over winter break

The 34-year-old library teacher at Lakewood Elementary School in Durham, North Carolina, does everything she can to prove it, and her recent fundraiser, which collected $106,000 to feed her students in need, is her most recent gesture of love.

Winter break can mean weeks of food insecurity for children and their families, Durham Public Schools spokeswoman Crystal Roberts told CNN.

Her promise to keep all her student's fed began in 2015, when one of her student's parents confided in her they would not have enough food for the children to eat through the holiday break.

"She told me, 'I'll be okay, I can go without eating, but I can't let my kids go without eating for two weeks.' It's really hard to know they have stuff like this going on and not to do everything I can," Parker said through tears. "My husband and I started thinking, if one family is asking this question, then there must be more."

On December 14, 2015, Parker sent a text to everyone she knew, asking if anyone would be interested in donating money, so she could provide bags full of food to last them for the whole holiday break.

Progress was slow but steady. The first year, she raised $500. Last year, she reached $55,000. But this year proved to be a record, with more than $106,000 donated from people all over the country.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:lovestruck:
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://americansofconscience.com/01-07-2022/
Good News
As Americans of Conscience, we celebrate!

Progress on issues featured in the AoC Checklist

DOJ affirms that people serving on CARES Act home confinement will not be forced to return to prison en masse at the end of the pandemic. (7/21 Checklist)
Biden administration ends the practice of holding families in ICE detention; there are no families being held as of mid-Dec. 2021. (10/18 Checklist)
Tribal
The Sicangu Lakota Oyate regain control of 525 acres of their land.
Canada will provide $31.5 billion (USD) in compensation to First Nations children who were removed from their families and placed into the welfare system.

and moar....
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://politicalcharge.org/2022/01/07/ ... good-news/
Let’s Look at Some Good News!

President Joe Biden gave a speech for the ages on the anniversary of January 6th. Watch the full speech HERE

The FDA approved booster shots for kids ages 12 to 15

The December jobs report comes in at double expectations. Economists had predicted 400,000 private sector jobs for the month, but the report by ADP registered 807,000 new jobs

A new USA Today/Suffolk University poll shows Democrats narrowly leading Republicans on the generic ballot, 39% to 37%, marking a major shift from the GOP’s previous 8-point lead in a November

The U.S. Mint unveiled the designs for 5 quarters to feature incredible women in our history. The first coins, which will be released in 2022, feature Maya Angelou, Dr. Sally Ride, Wilma Mankiller, Nina Otero-Warren, and Anna May Wong

Trump cancelled the speech/rally he’d planned for January 6th

Marjorie Taylor Greene was permanently banned from Twitter for repeatedly sharing COVID misinformation, violating their rules
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.usmint.gov/news/press-relea ... gram-coins
United States Mint Announces Designs for 2022 American Women Quarters™ Program Coins

Maya Angelou—celebrated writer, performer, social activist
Designer: Emily Damstra, AIP Designer
Sculptor: Craig A. Campbell, Medallic Artist
The design depicts Maya Angelou with her arms uplifted. Behind her are a bird in flight and a rising sun, images inspired by her poetry and symbolic of the way she lived. Inscriptions are “UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,” “MAYA ANGELOU,” “E PLURIBUS UNUM,” and “QUARTER DOLLAR.”

Dr. Sally Ride—physicist, astronaut, educator, and first American woman to soar into space
Designer: Elana Hagler, AIP Designer
Sculptor: Phebe Hemphill, Medallic Artist
This design depicts Dr. Ride next to a window on the space shuttle, inspired by her quote, “But when I wasn’t working, I was usually at a window looking down at Earth.” The inscription “E PLURIBUS UNUM” is intentionally positioned over the Earth next to America, indicating that out of all women in the United States, Dr. Ride was the first into space. The additional inscriptions are “UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,” “QUARTER DOLLAR,” and “DR. SALLY RIDE.”

Wilma Mankiller—first woman elected principal chief of the Cherokee Nation and an activist for Native American and women’s rights
Designer: Ben Sowards, AIP Designer
Sculptor: Phebe Hemphill, Medallic Artist
This design depicts Wilma Mankiller with a resolute gaze to the future. The wind is at her back, and she is wrapped in a traditional shawl. To her left is the seven-pointed star of the Cherokee Nation. Inscriptions are “UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,” “E PLURIBUS UNUM,” “QUARTER DOLLAR,” “WILMA MANKILLER,” “PRINCIPAL CHIEF,” and “CHEROKEE NATION,” which is written in the Cherokee syllabary.

Nina Otero-Warren—a leader in New Mexico’s suffrage movement and the first female superintendent of Santa Fe public schools
Designer: Chris Costello, AIP Designer
Sculptor: Craig A. Campbell, Medallic Artist
The design features an image of Nina Otero-Warren on the left, flanked by three individual Yucca flowers—New Mexico’s state flower. Inscriptions are “UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,” “QUARTER DOLLAR,” “E PLUIBUS UNUM,” “NINA OTERO-WARREN,” and “VOTO PARA LA MUJER,” the Spanish counterpart for the suffragist slogan “Votes for Women.”

Anna May Wong—first Chinese American film star in Hollywood, who left a legacy for women in the film industry
Designer: Emily Damstra, AIP Designer
Sculptor: John P. McGraw, Medallic Artist
This design features a close-up image of Anna May Wong with her head resting on her hand, surrounded by the bright lights of a marquee sign. Inscriptions are “UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,” “E PLURIBUS UNUM,” “QUARTER Damerican-women-quarters-program.
Pictures are here https://www.usmint.gov/news/image-libra ... rs-program
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

TRL! Thank you for the two wonderful posts! Love those quarters. And the good news, is excellent.
--Colin Kaepernick

Return to “General Stuff”