Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Happy Things

Lani

Happy Things

Post by Lani »

Betty and Anne Marie were best friends growing up in Berlin. Then Kristallnacht ended everything. Betty’s father was sent to a concentration camp, but escaped and returned to rescue his family. Betty & Anne Marie saw each other for the last time. Betty's family fled to Shanghai, one of the only places allowing Jews without papers. It became home to 20,000 “Shanghai Jews.”

After the Chinese Communist Revolution, Betty, husband and family were forced out, wound up in Australia and eventually settled in New Jersey. She's now the mother of five, grandmother to seven, and a great-grandmother to six. She lives in St. Petersburg, Florida.

Betty spent years searching for Anne Marie and brought up her name at every public talk she gave. She eventually assumed that the worst had happened.

Meanwhile in Santiago,Chile, another Holocaust survivor, same age as Betty, also mourned for her childhood best friend. Ana María had escaped with her parents. Every other member of her family died in the Holocaust. Ana Maria, who still lives in Santiago, married, and is the mother of two, a grandmother of six, and a great-grandmother of 10.

Ana Maria searched for her best friend, but she searched for "Ilse". Ilse had changed her name. And Anne Marie had, too.

In November, Ana María told her survival story for an international Zoom conference. Listening to her was Ita Gordon, an indexer for the USC Shoah Foundation. She searched the records to find Ilse and found a match. 24 years ago, Betty had given a testimony to the Foundation and mentioned Berlin and Anne Marie.

82 years after they said goodby, the Foundation set up a reunion call. During the reunion, Ana María shared her beloved childhood treasure - a note Betty gave her just before they parted. “When one day in later years you take this small book in hand, think about how nice it was that we knew one another.”

They hope to spend Rosh Hashanah together.

Two best friends and their families...
Screenshot_2021-03-13 Bettys-and-Ana-Marias-families-on-Zoom webp (WEBP Image, 700 × 500 pixels).png
Screenshot_2021-03-13 Bettys-and-Ana-Marias-families-on-Zoom webp (WEBP Image, 700 × 500 pixels).png (440.17 KiB) Viewed 16097 times
https://www.inspiremore.com/betty-grebe ... v0.twitter
Also: https://globalnews.ca/news/7663225/frie ... i-germany/
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Sunrise

Re: Happy Things

Post by Sunrise »

Very, very dusty in here. That’s more than happy. It’s awesome.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:lovestruck: :bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Hic sunt dracones
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:like:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:lovestruck:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Uninformed wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:44 pm
My neices daughter and her twin brother were in skateboarding comps doing that sort of thing at 6 too. And surfing. And rockclimbing. Some kids are athletes, pure and simple.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:lovestruck:
Lani

Post by Lani »

If you haven't seen heard this yet:

CNN interviewed him:

What a sweetie :lovestruck: Wish I had a principal like him.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:clap:
RVInit

The Good Stuff

Post by RVInit »

I couldn't find a place for this, and thought I would start a thread for us to share the good things that are happening all around us that get lost in the current whacked out world we find ourselves in. Here's one to start!

UCSD student honors parents with graduation pictures in farm fields
https://www.10news.com/news/local-news/ ... arm-fields
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Re: The Good Stuff

Post by bill_g »

Saw that one this morning as well. Great story. Loved it.

[tiny nit] Though I doubt they were "planting" strawberries. I think they were picking berries. Strawberry starts tend to be really small compared to the mature growth in the photos. Plus - it's berry pickin time for the seasonal vars. [/tiny nit]

Signed Bill and Mrs_G who just finished making a batch of strawberry jam from berries I picked yesterday evening. Sixteen half pints cooled, sealed, and awaiting labels.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

The reference to strawberries was about growing up in the fields. The plants in the photos are bell peppers.
Image Image Image Image
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Thx. That accounts for the height. I saw no reference to the actual fields they were in.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

It was a subtle reference.
Estiveoshot_20210613_095548.jpg
Image Image Image Image
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

RVInit wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:46 am I couldn't find a place for this, and thought I would start a thread for us to share the good things that are happening all around us that get lost in the current whacked out world we find ourselves in. Here's one to start!
Maybe we can merge this with the “Happy Things” thread...
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Maybenaut wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:06 pm
RVInit wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:46 am I couldn't find a place for this, and thought I would start a thread for us to share the good things that are happening all around us that get lost in the current whacked out world we find ourselves in. Here's one to start!
Maybe we can merge this with the “Happy Things” thread...
Good suggestion. I haven't been able to be as active since Fogbow 2.0 and I can't keep the new threads straight. I looked for a thread to put this in, and I just didn't find that one.

Thanks! I don't know how to merge, if a mod is around, can you do that?
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

! Message from: Foggy
I done merged 'em.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Lani

Post by Lani »

I'm getting a new office. Same size as my current one, which is big. But the new one has windows!!! Pretty nice for an office that I'll only use about twice a month.

Employees are being called back to their offices. However, I attended an EEOC briefing about covid issues. Its position is that if an employee wants to continue working from home, there should be a meeting to discuss it. It's hard for a boss to claim that the employee needs to be in the office if their telework has been productive. The meeting would be kinda like a reasonable accommodation for a disability.

I know pregnant employees are very reluctant to move back to a busy office. EEOC mentioned that as well and encouraged employers to let them continue to work from home and do not require them to be vaccinated until after birth.

Also, having fewer people in an office means better social distancing. We're not out of the woods yet! (BTW, the Delta variant is now in Hawaii.)

I wrote an email about the EEOC meeting which was presented to all department heads. So far, two departments decided that it was up to the employees to choose working in the office or at home. :thumbsup:
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Hooray, Lani!!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Estiveo wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:58 pm It was a subtle reference.
Estiveoshot_20210613_095548.jpg
coulda bit me!

Thx!
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

Today is my last business day as a solo practitioner. I'll finish emptying out my office over the weekend, and start at the PD's office on Monday. Appropriately, my very last court appearance in private practice this afternoon will be in front of my friend of whose successful campaign for retention last year I had the honor to be general chairman.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:dance: :clap: :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Congrats, FRP. And to the ever-wise and patient mrsFRP.

Return to “General Stuff”