Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Happy Things

AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Happy Things

Post by AndyinPA »

I'll definitely keep an eye out for the quarters!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I saw the Maya Angelou quarters have been released. :cheer2:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Acknowledging females eh?
Apart from Prince Andrew’s mum all we’ve got is Jane Austen on the £10 note. :(

Well done to whoever is responsible. :clap:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Foggy wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:33 am I saw the Maya Angelou quarters have been released. :cheer2:
Gonna gets me some! Maya is an Arkansas native!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:23 am
Foggy wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:33 am I saw the Maya Angelou quarters have been released. :cheer2:
Gonna gets me some! Maya is an Arkansas native!
I never realized how expensive the proof sets are. I don't collect coins, I guess that's why I had no idea what those sets cost. But I looked on the US Mint website and the cheapest proof sets for this series are $18.50 per coin. The silver series are $60 per coin.

I will have to try to find out how many of those coins will be in circulation as it would be nice to have one of each without having to buy a proof set. There are additional sets coming out over the next couple of years or so.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

A certain segment of white 'murica thinks they're only worth 15 cents.
Image Image Image Image
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

I will gladly pay 16¢ per quarter for every one they want to sell me. :batting:
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I read an article about the coins late last night - so don't ask me the source - but they said that the coins should be available in the banks by late January or early February.
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.fodors.com/world/north-amer ... etty-white
New Orleans Threw a Birthday Parade for the Late Betty White. And You Need to See the Photos

There were brass bands, colorful costumes, and plenty of dogs to celebrate the legacy of this iconic Golden Girl.

Betty White died on New Year’s Eve of 2021, just weeks shy of what would have been her 100th Birthday on January 17, 2022. As America mourned the loss of their favorite Golden Girl and a comedic legend who starred in dozens of memorable roles, the city of New Orleans began planning. The idea, crafted by Santa T. Claus (yes, that’s his legal name) and Carl Mack of Carl Mack Presents, was to host a celebration of her life––in true New Orleans’ style.

The massive Betty White Parade marched on January 16 through the heart of the French Quarter, featuring all the trappings—from The Bourbon Street Brass Band to citizens twirling parasols. Many donned Betty White wigs and tropical shirts, while others held hand-painted signs of their favorite comedian’s quotes. Dogs were plentiful, and once the organizers covered the parade’s cost, all the proceeds were given to the locally run Villalobos Rescue Center for animals in need. Betty White was a massive animal lover who personally funded the relocation of several zoo animals before Hurricane Katrina made landfall in 2005 in the city.

The parade was both whimsical and meaningful––something fans would say was emblematic of White’s own life––and the final moments certainly brought a tear or two. As the crowd huddled against the cold in Jackson Square, they sent some love up to Betty White with a moving chorus of I’ll Fly Away. Here, we bring you a few outtakes of a very fitting tribute to an incredible star.
image-10-by-Jenny-Adams-9985-2-1200x800.jpg
image-10-by-Jenny-Adams-9985-2-1200x800.jpg (181.23 KiB) Viewed 3864 times
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

She would have loved that! :biggrin:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Image Image Image Image
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:biggrin:
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

She’s a "stuckosaurus"

:rotflmao: :lovestruck:
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Uninformed wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:22 am Acknowledging females eh?
Apart from Prince Andrew’s mum all we’ve got is Jane Austen on the £10 note. :(

Well done to whoever is responsible. :clap:
For a long time.. our bank notes have (apart from Lizzie) had a male on one side and a female on the other..

Currently:
Queen Elizabeth II $5 N P 1992+[7]
Dame Mary Gilmore, DBE $10 N P 1993+[3]
Banjo Paterson, OBE $10 N P 1993+[3]
Mary Reibey $20 N P 1994+[2]
Rev John Flynn, OBE $20 N P 1994+[2]
David Unaipon $50 N P 1995+[1]
Edith Cowan MBE $50 N P 1995+[1]
Dame Nellie Melba, GBE $100 N P 1996+[4]
General Sir John Monash, GCMG, KCB, VD $100 N P 1996+[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_p ... n_currency
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Powder-saurus! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

That is an impressive and clever four year old. She's going places.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

--Colin Kaepernick
Tiredretiredlawyer

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/bil ... l-82826287
Billionaire's space trip brought $125M to St. Jude hospital
The charitable sector should hope that billionaire Jared Isaacman keeps seeking new adventures

Isaacman, who turned a payments-processing firm he started as a teenager into a multibillion-dollar company, periodically indulges his passion for aviation with head-turning flights. Each time, a prominent charity has joined the ride — and the stakes keep getting bigger.

In 2009, Isaacman set a speed record for flying around the world in a light aircraft, raising tens of thousands of dollars for Make-a-Wish in the process.

Last September, he took both his flying and his philanthropy to a much higher level. Isaacman led the first all-civilian trip to space, accompanied by a physician assistant, a community-college professor, and a data engineer. Isaacman paid for and commanded the SpaceX flight, known as Inspiration4, and he vowed to donate even more than the cost of the flight to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.

Isaacman and his wife, Monica, personally donated $125 million to the hospital, and contributions by SpaceX founder Elon Musk ($55 million) and many others ultimately raised the total given to St. Jude to more than $243 million.

“You’re not fulfilling your purpose in life if you’re not maximizing the various opportunities that come your way,” Isaacman says. “But it would be selfish to do that if you were not also trying to make the world a better place.”
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

I have 2 grandkids plus one best friend on the way to spend the day with Moppie! They don't know it yet but we're making pie today! "Punkin pie" from scratch, rolling out dough and everything. Tomorrow they're coming back and we're baking "CCBBs", AKA chocolate chip blond brownies. There have been actual fights for 3 generations over the last CCBB. :lol:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

MsDaisy wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:34 am There have been actual fights for 3 generations over the last CCBB. :lol:
Well then, I don't seem to find them in the Recipes thread, girlfriend. :waiting:
Tiredretiredlawyer

My twosies are here also, too! We are going to ride Princess today. Yesterday the oldest had a 45 minute lesson with Bullet. She loved it. Youngest got a "pony ride" on Bullet but did get to steer. :biggrin:
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Foggy wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:37 am
MsDaisy wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:34 am There have been actual fights for 3 generations over the last CCBB. :lol:
Well then, I don't seem to find them in the Recipes thread, girlfriend. :waiting:
Look again... ;)
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ional-park
Second chance: 80 critically endangered spotted tree frogs to be released into Kosciuszko national park
Successful breeding program brings optimism for a native species nearly eradicated by disease and bushfires

Two years after the 2019-20 summer bushfires nearly wiped out the species, 80 critically endangered spotted tree frogs are jumping back into the wild in NSW.

“Releasing these 80 spotted tree frogs back into the wild, despite all the setbacks this species has faced, is a reminder to have optimism about the conservation work we’re doing,” the NSW environment minister, James Griffin, said in a statement on Monday.

Some of these setbacks included a deadly disease that almost eradicated the frogs, along with the southern and northern corroboree frogs, in 2001.

The amphibians, numbering around 250-300 at the time, were estimated to be reduced to about 10 when the devastating bushfires burned through forests and bushland across the state.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Just a shoutout to a couple who built their sailing boat from scratch and just made their maiden voyage.

I have been following them on and off on Youtube since they started seven years ago.

and their first YT video on their first steps

Return to “General Stuff”