Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Happy Things

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Re: Happy Things

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story ... 928902001/
This Iowa couple said 'I do.' 77 years later, they got their wedding photos taken
When Royce and Frankie King celebrated 77 years of marriage on Sept. 16, St. Croix Hospice staff asked where the couple's wedding photos were.

"Mom had mentioned, 'We got married on a two-day notice while Dad was just on a short leave ... before he went overseas in World War II. And we didn't have time to plan a big wedding and we didn't have a photographer," their daughter, Sue Bilodeau, said.

The Kings receive care from St. Croix Hospice at their Oelwein home. A couple of weeks ago, St. Croix staff transformed their backyard into a site for a 1940s-style celebration — complete with a photographer to document the special day.
603fbc31-0385-43a0-a620-9b49a16d243a-0C6A3431.jpg
603fbc31-0385-43a0-a620-9b49a16d243a-0C6A3431.jpg (93.63 KiB) Viewed 2216 times
Bilodeau said a local reporter at the celebration asked the couple what the best thing was about being married for 77 years.

"Dad said, 'Having Frankie by my side ... and mom said, 'As my dad used to say, I always think about this little saying, 'Lord, give me patience and give it to me now,''" Bilodeau laughed.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

I'm tearing up. How absolutely. Sweet and lovely. Thank you.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Ol' Wifehorn, Life Coach, Does It Again

WARNING: If'n you want to run your own life, stay away. Far away.

So lots of our insurance clients are poor people. When we were getting started in 2014, the first year of Obamacare, that was the low-hanging fruit. And maybe I mentioned, we tend to like poor people. So we have this lady who works in a care facility as basically a janitor-type job, and ol' Wifehorn starts talking to her a little bit about her life, because we've been representing her for many years, and ol ' Wifehorn finds out that she has been working for this big company for 13 years in the same position, and she is making $8.00 per hour. After 13 years. She must be 100% honest, or how has she held the job so long? No computer, can't write a résumé, no email, etc.

Ol' Wifehorn is shocked. She takes her under her wing and starts life-coaching her. Writes the résumé. Goes to her house, working on interview techniques and what clothing to wear. They spend 4 hours a day on the phone. "Nobody ever told her she was valued, that's what."

She goes to her boss and demands a raise. He gives her NINETEEN CENTS. Now she is making $8.19.

WRONG MOVE, WITH OL' WIFEHORN PLAYING BACKUP. NOW OL' WIFEHORN IS PISSED. :mad:

Long story short, the lady's new job is less than 1/4 mile from the old job, and she will be making $14.00 per hour, which will change her whole life. She'll probably have to pay more for insurance. :batting:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Foggy wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:54 am She'll probably have to pay more for insurance. :batting:
Update/Correction:

Ol ' Wifehorn says the new job has health insurance. We LOST a client. But y'know how that works - none of her friends or family will be able to buy health insurance from anybody else. Long-term, it's good for biznis too also.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Brava, Wifehorn!!!!!!!!!!!!! :boxing:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Nice story! Good on Ol' Wifehorn.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

:thumbsup: :clap:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

I like to think I'm one of her failed projects (and she will forcefully agree). I like to think I run my own life and make my own decisions. :nope:

'Course, it's easier to maintain the illusion if'n I don't spend too much time thinking about the actual details ... :lol:
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Foggy wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:01 am
Foggy wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:54 am She'll probably have to pay more for insurance. :batting:
Update/Correction:

Ol ' Wifehorn says the new job has health insurance. We LOST a client. But y'know how that works - none of her friends or family will be able to buy health insurance from anybody else. Long-term, it's good for biznis too also.
:clap: It is to your credit (and a sign that you're definitely not a Republican) that you clearly feel it's A Good Thing that you have lost that client due to this significant improvement in circumstances. Well done by the boss! :clap:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, and y'know, she'd be a total pain in the butt, except ... she does it because she honestly, deeply, 110% believes that if you follow her plan for your life, you will be far better off than if you follow your own stupid plan. She really is trying to help make your life better, and there's no subterfuge there.

So when she does something like this, it's totally in character and it was really fun to watch it play out, and my wife is a hero (not for the first time, either).

But it's the same character trait that forces me to explain exactly where I'm going and exactly what I'm doing every time I leave the house (or even show up downstairs with a hat on) in order that I may present my plans for analysis and correction. Which, I'm sorry, but I'm 68 years old and I get to do pretty much whatever I want to do, so do not even think about correcting my plans, and if you don't trust me to do the right thing after 27 years of marriage what the heck is going on, and if I was doing anything important I would have told you about it long ago, and besides I'm going to the doctor and I told you three times in the past week that I had a doctor's appointment today and ...

This is why I tell waiters that we met in prison, back when I was a prison guard and she was locked up for being really, really annoying. 8-)

But y'know what? She does that too because she thinks she can improve on my plans and then I'll have a better life. She really is trying to help, she just assumes that I have no capacity for making a sensible plan and that I have no familiarity with the English language, with American culture, with the location of businesses we regularly patronize, and so forth. Basically, she sees me walking out the door with car keys as a sort of blank slate, waiting for her to fill it up with relevant details that a normal person might already know. She really is trying to be helpful, so I have to discard my annoyance and simply explain that which must be explained.

Then, 9 times out of 10, I am allowed to proceed. :lol:
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

A good thing happened today.

I've been with current company for a bit over 2 years. Boss is great, I love working with her. She actually works "with" me and doesn't just dictate or micromanage. It's very nice. She trusts me, I trust her. She lets me do my job and gets me the resources I need when I need them (if she can).

This morning I found a meeting request she sent over the weekend that just said "Quick Touchbase". At 9am. That sent off the spidey senses mostly thanks to the finely honed sense of paranoia and expecting the worst that I have cultivated over the last several decades.

Nothing could have been further from that assumption.

I was nominated for, and received, a large salary increase. It puts me more in the middle of the salary range for my position. I wasn't at the bottom, but not far off of it. It was a 15% raise.

This will add a couple hundred dollars a paycheck. It will help me immensely in being able to save and plan.

I am happy!

*waits for the shoe to drop
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Congratulations are in order!

:groupdance:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Hay jez, nobody deserves it more than you. If you're happy, I'm happy. :bighug:
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Congratulations!
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Estiveoshot_20211025_163556.jpg
Image Image Image Image
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Great to hear good news. :thumbsup:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

:clap:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Yay Jez! its nice to be recognized for the goddess you are, innit?
Don’t wait for that other shoe. Take one of your own and throw it in the air. There’s your shoe drop!
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Yeah, and y'know, she'd be a total pain in the butt, except ... she does it because she honestly, deeply, 110% believes that if you follow her plan for your life, you will be far better off than if you follow your own stupid plan. She really is trying to help make your life better, and there's no subterfuge there.
I giggled and guffawed my way through that piece, boss. Thanks, i needed that. :thumbsup: :rotflmao: Hugs to wifehorn.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Hoooooray, jez!!!!!! :bunny: :blissy:
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

A brand new great niece, we haz one! Just born via C-Section in Seville Spain, mama and baby both doing fine :bunny:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

:cheer1:
Tiredretiredlawyer

:blissy: :blissy: :dog:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:clap: :bighug: :clap:
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

I hope they bring her to London for Christmas, MrDaisy's sister (the new baby's grandma) lives there and we're going over for the holidays. I'm very much looking forward to meeting her in person! :lovestruck:

Return to “General Stuff”