Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Happy Things

RVInit

Happy Things

Post by RVInit »

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Happy Things

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:lovestruck:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Happy Things

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/flori ... r-AA158G1j
Florida firefighters rescue eagle impaled by lightning rod on radio tower

Florida firefighters climbed a 120 feet tall radio tower to rescue a bald eagle impaled by the lightning rod at the top.

The Macclenny Fire and Rescue Department was called to St. George Elementary School on Thursday after a caller reported the bird was in distress and stuck on the tower.

Wildlife officials gave fire crews the go-ahead to climb the tower and save the eagle. The truck’s ladder and bucket could only extend up to 100 feet, so a firefighter secured his harness to the tower and scaled the rest of it himself.

The bird flew back to the ground after it was freed. Wildlife rescuers captured it and took it in for evaluation.

"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Happy Things

Post by AndyinPA »

Nice. I hope the eagle's fine. Sounds like it might need some help.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer

Happy Things

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2022/1 ... bal-school
New Mexico congresswoman gets staggering $90M in funding approved for To’Hajiilee tribal school

New Mexico Democratic Rep. Melanie Stansbury fought tooth and nail to get funding for repairs to a long-forgotten tribal school into the mammoth $1.7 trillion, 4,155-page omnibus spending bill.

Until the bill was publicly released Tuesday before the Senate, Stansbury had no idea her hard work had yielded a significant win—to the tune of more than $90 million toward rebuilding a K-12 school in To’Hajiilee, New Mexico, a remote community about 35 miles west of Albuquerque, HuffPost reports.

According to a story from HuffPost in June, the To’Hajiilee Community School was built on a floodplain, so when there’s flooding from the nearby canyon, walls of water barrel down the school with such force that cars have been washed away.

But it’s not just flooding. The foundation of the building is cracked and sinking, and so unsafe that the U.S. government shut the school down in March, sending the students home to work remotely—despite the fact that many kids do not have access to the Internet.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Happy Things

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/kayak ... r-AA15IXai
Kayakers using large screwdrivers as oars saved a pilot after his plane crashed in a creek

Beards Creek in Edgewater, Maryland on Monday morning.

But first, they had to get to the stranded pilot. Thankfully, kayaks were within reach. The officer used two large screwdrivers as oars to navigate the kayak over the ice. Two civilians also grabbed kayaks to make their way to the stranded pilot: 71-year-old Steve Couchman.

Retired Navy Veteran John Gelinne was one of those civilian rescuers.

“Get out of the water. Just get out of the water and hold tight. I just pick axed backwards and got my kayak back onto the ice and he was out of the water,” Gelinne said to the pilot.
Their fast-acting efforts likely helped the pilot stave off hypothermia which can impact someone in frigid water in only a few minutes.

“Miraculously and heroically, the two kayakers were the ones that were able to get to that pilot very quickly,” Lt. Jennifer Macallair with Anne Arundel Fire said.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Happy Things

AndyinPA
Verified:

Happy Things

Post by AndyinPA »

Very cute. She's the only one who seemed to be moving appropriately, although a few other little girls seemed to get a little more into it. :thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer

Happy Things

She's a choreographer and a dancer!
RVInit

Happy Things

Post by RVInit »

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Danraft

Happy Things

Post by Danraft »

Speaking of cute…
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Happy Things

Post by RTH10260 »

Yale honors Black girl who police were called on for spraying lantern flies

Uwa Ede-Osifo
Wed, February 1, 2023 at 11:48 PM GMT+1

The Yale School of Public Health honored 9-year-old Bobbi Wilson in a ceremony last month for her efforts to curb the presence of an invasive species — the spotted lantern fly — in her hometown of Caldwell, New Jersey.

The Peabody Museum of Natural History at Yale accepted Bobbi's donation of her personal lantern fly collection, presenting her with the title of "donor scientist." The collection is now available for public viewing in the museum's database, according to the university.

After learning in school about the pesky bugs, which ecologists have urged the public to squash on sight, Bobbi concocted a TikTok-inspired insect repellent composed of dish water, soap and apple cider vinegar.

The fourth-grader was spraying the lantern flies around her home last October, when a police officer approached and began to question her.

A neighbor, former town council member Gordon Lawshe, had called the police to report a suspicious person. "There’s a little Black woman walking, spraying stuff on the sidewalks and trees on Elizabeth and Florence. I don’t know what the hell she’s doing. Scares me, though," Lawshe said to dispatchers, according to footage obtained by CNN.

In a viral video, Bobbi's older sister Hayden, 13, spoke at a city council meeting and said Lawshe's actions were "extremely offensive, traumatic, and scarring" for her little sister and family.

Shortly after the incident, Ijeoma Opara, an assistant professor of public health at Yale, invited Bobbi along with her family to meet other Black female scientists and tour the university. Opara also helped organize the Jan. 20 ceremony.

"Yale doesn’t normally do anything like this … this is something unique to Bobbi," Opara said, according to a press release from the university. "We wanted to show her bravery and how inspiring she is," she added.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/yale-honors- ... 01733.html
(original: NBC News)
Tiredretiredlawyer

Happy Things

RVInit

Happy Things

Post by RVInit »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:58 am :lovestruck:
:lovestruck: :clap: :clap: :clap:
--Colin Kaepernick
pipistrelle

Happy Things

Post by pipistrelle »

"little Black woman"???
Tiredretiredlawyer

Happy Things

Yep. Racism at its "best". Then smart, savvy future scientist gets accolades from all over the nation!!!!
pjhimself

Happy Things

Post by pjhimself »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Happy Things

Post by AndyinPA »

I can't copy the video for some reason, but it's worth the click.

https://crooksandliars.com/2023/03/litt ... ghts-place

Really, really dusty here. :lovestruck:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Happy Things

Post by keith »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:05 pm I can't copy the video for some reason, but it's worth the click.

Nothing but ads and no story what so ever.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Happy Things

Post by AndyinPA »

keith wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:56 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:05 pm I can't copy the video for some reason, but it's worth the click.

Nothing but ads and no story what so ever.
Damn. Sorry.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Happy Things

Post by Phoenix520 »

I saw it. 💙💙
Suranis

Happy Things

Post by Suranis »

This is the imbed code on the video

<iframe width="600" height="796" src="//embed.crooksandliars.com/embed/eNz85qtF" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not sure what to do to make it play on the fogbow.
Hic sunt dracones
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Happy Things

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Https://embed.crooksandliars.com/embed/eNz85qtF

You should be able to see it by clicking that link. At least it works in preview mode
pjhimself

Happy Things

Post by pjhimself »

pjhimself

Happy Things

Post by pjhimself »

Return to “General Stuff”