Transportation

keith
Occupation:: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder

Re: Transportation

Post by keith »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:24 pm https://www.washingtonpost.com/transpor ... agerstown/
Metro’s next series of rail cars will be built at a $70 million plant in Maryland that will employ nearly 500 people and supply rail cars for the Washington-area system and transit agencies across the country.

Hitachi Rail announced Monday it has chosen Hagerstown as the home for an assembly plant that will release Metro’s eighth generation of rail cars starting in late 2024. Metro selected the company about 18 months ago to build 256 cars for its 8000 series, with an option for as many as 800 cars this decade.

The lucrative contract worth about $2.2 billion came with the requirement that Hitachi Rail assemble the cars at a plant in the Mid-Atlantic region. The announcement advances Metro’s lengthy journey to go from bidding to planning for its next rail car, a process that included Congress inserting itself into negotiations over cybersecurity fears and concerns about what would be built domestically.
It's nice that 500 people will be employed, but it's still not an American company and the profits go to Japan.
Victoria has been using Hitachi rolling stock for some years. I got the impression that they were less than pleased with the quality. I'll have to look it up. I think there were majorly problems with the brakes.

According to Woody Allen, Drew Barrymore sings so badly, deaf people refuse to watch her lips move.
keith
Occupation:: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder

Re: Transportation

Post by keith »

keith wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:07 am
AndyinPA wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:24 pm https://www.washingtonpost.com/transpor ... agerstown/
Metro’s next series of rail cars will be built at a $70 million plant in Maryland that will employ nearly 500 people and supply rail cars for the Washington-area system and transit agencies across the country.

Hitachi Rail announced Monday it has chosen Hagerstown as the home for an assembly plant that will release Metro’s eighth generation of rail cars starting in late 2024. Metro selected the company about 18 months ago to build 256 cars for its 8000 series, with an option for as many as 800 cars this decade.

The lucrative contract worth about $2.2 billion came with the requirement that Hitachi Rail assemble the cars at a plant in the Mid-Atlantic region. The announcement advances Metro’s lengthy journey to go from bidding to planning for its next rail car, a process that included Congress inserting itself into negotiations over cybersecurity fears and concerns about what would be built domestically.
It's nice that 500 people will be employed, but it's still not an American company and the profits go to Japan.
Victoria has been using Hitachi rolling stock for some years. I got the impression that they were less than pleased with the quality. I'll have to look it up. I think there were majorly problems with the brakes.
Edit: I'm wrong. I don't see any significant problems other than corrosion towards end of life (they were in service from 1978 to 2014).
Hitachi (Australian train)

Edit 2: Its the current trains from Siemans that have (had) major brake problems. Siemens Nexas

According to Woody Allen, Drew Barrymore sings so badly, deaf people refuse to watch her lips move.

Return to “Economy”