Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Planets, Comets, Asteroids, etc.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Re: Planets, Comets, Asteroids, etc.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I just read your story aloud to the group of women, including me, who take an annual trip together. They loved it. :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Image Image Image Image
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Climate change - floods on Mars
NASA’s Perseverance Rover Finds Signs of Epic Ancient Floods on Mars
New results from the mission reveal that its landing site of Jezero Crater has a surprisingly dynamic and complex hydrologic history

By Jonathan O'Callaghan on October 7, 2021

For decades, the standard perception of Mars has been almost black-and-white in its simplicity—or rather red and blue: There is the barren, freeze-dried and rust-ruddy planet of today. And eons ago, there was a world warmer, wetter and more aquamarine with rivers, lakes, oceans and perhaps even life on its surface. In this red-and-blue view of Mars is much like a coin, with scientists questing to understand what caused the great planetary flip between its two opposing sides. Yet the closer they look, the clearer it is that this crude dichotomy cannot be entirely true: Mars, like Earth, is and always has been many worlds in one. The story of its habitability may be best understood not as a single, one-way global shift between red and blue but instead a series of hopscotch skips across a motley, regional patchwork of complex, changing conditions.

“It’s very easy to see Mars as one thing at one time,” says Matt Balme of the Open University, based in England. “But there were locations that were warm, wet, cold and dry, all at once.”

A research paper published today in the journal Science highlights this more nuanced view in exquisite detail. (Balme was not involved with the work.) It reports initial results from an in situ visual survey of the “Octavia E. Butler” landing site of NASA’s Perseverance rover, which touched down in Jezero Crater in February. Mission planners chose Jezero because orbital images suggested it harbors an ancient river delta and lake system sculpted by flowing water billions of years ago. Now analysis from Perseverance has not only confirmed this to be true but has also discovered short-lived episodes of sudden change that happened there.

Co-led by Nicolas Mangold of the University of Nantes in France, the study team used images taken by Perseverance to examine the size, orientation and distribution of rocks strewn around the rover and embedded in sedimentary layers on exposed cliff faces and outcrops up to several kilometers away. The results show that 3.7 billion years ago, a river did indeed flow into this region at speeds of several meters per second, feeding a lake that filled the 45-kilometer-wide crater to depths as great as 100 meters in places. But the team’s analysis also revealed unexpected fluctuations in the lake’s depth, which appeared to occasionally rise or fall by several meters, possibly the result of seasonal variations. “There was a lake,” Mangold says, “but the story is different than expected.”

The most surprising characters in the story of Jezero so far were spied jutting from the delta’s fine-grained sediments: boulders more than a meter across that were worn round and smooth by long tumbles through Jezero’s river yet paradoxically too immense for any mere river to move. “They should not be there,” Mangold says. The explanation might be that, at some point, this region experienced extreme flooding in which the boulders and other debris were washed across great distances by walls of water cascading along the riverbed before a final plunge into the ancient lake. What might have caused floods of such magnitude is not clear, but on Earth, large amounts of melting ice or heavy precipitation can be the culprit behind such phenomena.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... s-on-mars/
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

... there were locations that were warm, wet, cold and dry, all at once.”
Which recreational drug would lead to the creation of this sentence? No, they weren't "all at once" these changes were over BILLIONS OF YEARS. Just like Earth, amazingly enough.
The results show that 3.7 billion years ago, a river did indeed flow into this region at speeds of several meters per second, feeding a lake that filled the 45-kilometer-wide crater to depths as great as 100 meters in places.
This is the first time I've ever seen water flow in a river being measured by the speed of the water, not the volume. Of course, the speed of the water can vary wildly at the exact same volume, which makes the speed alone kind of a silly way to measure water flow.

I'm a little cranky today, I hope nobody notices. :kiss:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Uninformed wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:16 pm
Flat-earthers take note, the camera is pointed south and shows the stars revolving around the south pole. It's the same as the effect at the north pole, but is going to be impossible in a flat earth. It's a beautiful little movie.

ETA Tweet has link to the original NASA APOD on YouTube. From the description, "23 hours and 56 minutes, one frame per minute. Looped 60 times." 23 hours and 56 minutes is what it ought to be, but if you are just going to be looping the same day anyway, why bother? I'd like to see a 24 hour loop for comparison, the stars should drift a bit during the night.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Very, very COOL!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... h-roof-bed
A woman in Canada awoke in shock earlier this week when a rock crashed through the ceiling of her home and landed on her bed, narrowly missing her but spraying grit and other debris on her face, as her dog barked frantically.

Police were called and the culprit was initially suspected to be a construction site nearby, where work must have sent the fist-sized projectile onto the woman’s pillow. But when the construction workers said they had not set any blasts – but had just seen an explosion in the sky – the consensus quickly became that the rock was a meteorite, the Canadian Press reported.

Ruth Hamilton had been fast asleep in Golden, a small town amid the Rocky Mountains, in British Columbia, on 3 October when her dog began barking and she woke with a start.
It didn't say how large it was, but I would guess not very. She's keeping it.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:10 am https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... h-roof-bed
A woman in Canada awoke in shock earlier this week when a rock crashed through the ceiling of her home and landed on her bed, narrowly missing her but spraying grit and other debris on her face, as her dog barked frantically.

Police were called and the culprit was initially suspected to be a construction site nearby, where work must have sent the fist-sized projectile onto the woman’s pillow. But when the construction workers said they had not set any blasts – but had just seen an explosion in the sky – the consensus quickly became that the rock was a meteorite, the Canadian Press reported.

Ruth Hamilton had been fast asleep in Golden, a small town amid the Rocky Mountains, in British Columbia, on 3 October when her dog began barking and she woke with a start.
fist sized
per the article.
Image Image Image Image
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Estiveo wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:17 am
AndyinPA wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:10 am https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... h-roof-bed

fist sized
per the article.
Read it twice. Still missed that. Thanks!
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

This reminds me of the Benld meteorite which I saw in the Field Museum in Chicago when I was a kid. It hit a farmers car (not while he was in it). Atlas Obscura has a short film about it.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://mymodernmet.com/colors-moon-marcella-pace/
Italian primary school teacher Marcella Pace has always had a passion for astronomy. This has led her to pursue astrophotography and, over the years, she's seen her work selected by NASA as an Astronomy Photo of the Day and has been shortlisted in the prestigious Astronomy Photographer of the Year Awards. In particular, her image of 48 colorful moons has garnered her quite a bit of attention. The work pulls together 10 years' worth of imagery and is a true sight to behold.

“During the lockdown, I spent quite a bit of time at home so I had a lot of time to look back through my old images,” Pace tells My Modern Met. “Looking back through my photos, I decided to pick out all the full moons that I'd photographed since I started using a digital camera. I chose the 48 most colorful, ones taken as the moon was rising or setting or when atmospheric scattering caused interesting coloration.”

So, while the final composite displays work done over 10 years, Pace is careful to note that it doesn't actually take that long to photograph so many colors of the moon. In fact, in a recent photograph taken during moonrise, it's possible to see all the different colors that it takes on as it makes its way up different layers of the atmosphere.
There's also one of the colors of the sun that she has done on the website.
Tiredretiredlawyer

:clap: :clap:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Mrich

Post by Mrich »

AndyinPA wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:40 pm Image

https://mymodernmet.com/colors-moon-marcella-pace/
Italian primary school teacher Marcella Pace has always had a passion for astronomy. This has led her to pursue astrophotography and, over the years, she's seen her work selected by NASA as an Astronomy Photo of the Day and has been shortlisted in the prestigious Astronomy Photographer of the Year Awards. In particular, her image of 48 colorful moons has garnered her quite a bit of attention. The work pulls together 10 years' worth of imagery and is a true sight to behold.

“During the lockdown, I spent quite a bit of time at home so I had a lot of time to look back through my old images,” Pace tells My Modern Met. “Looking back through my photos, I decided to pick out all the full moons that I'd photographed since I started using a digital camera. I chose the 48 most colorful, ones taken as the moon was rising or setting or when atmospheric scattering caused interesting coloration.”

So, while the final composite displays work done over 10 years, Pace is careful to note that it doesn't actually take that long to photograph so many colors of the moon. In fact, in a recent photograph taken during moonrise, it's possible to see all the different colors that it takes on as it makes its way up different layers of the atmosphere.
There's also one of the colors of the sun that she has done on the website.
On this page there is a version of "Mona Lisa" created by these moon photos:
https://newsrnd.com/tech/2021-10-16-her ... tO_BY.html

For the larger ones you kinda have to squint, but it's easy to see in the smallest one.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Absolutely cool!
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://news.yahoo.com/infant-planet-di ... 05120.html
New infant planet discovered by researchers in Hawaii

An international research team led by the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa has discovered one of the youngest planets ever observed. The findings, published in Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, estimate the planet is a "few times more massive" than Jupiter.

The new planet was found in a "stellar nursery" and formed approximately several million years ago — around the same time that the main Hawaiian islands emerged from the ocean. Named 2M0437b, researchers first spotted the planet orbiting a remote, infant star in 2018.

Since 2M0437b is so young, it is still hot from the energy created during its formation — the scientists said in a press release that its temperature is similar to "the lava erupting from Kīlauea Volcano."
It should be named Lani! :biggrin:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:
Lani

Post by Lani »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:10 am https://news.yahoo.com/infant-planet-di ... 05120.html
New infant planet discovered by researchers in Hawaii

:snippity:
It should be named Lani! :biggrin:
Keikilani! :thumbsup:
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Yes! I had a student named Leilani many moons ago. What does that mean?
Lani

Post by Lani »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:32 am Yes! I had a student named Leilani many moons ago. What does that mean?
Heavenly Flower!
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Beautiful!
Tiredretiredlawyer

NASA's Hubble Space Telescope snaps spooky image of a dying star
A star in its death throes wears orange and red "cobwebs" like a shroud.

In keeping with the season, NASA likened the star to a hypnotizing vortex, a peek into a witch's cauldron and a giant space-spider web.

CW Leonis is what's known as a "carbon star." "The orange-red 'cobwebs' are dusty clouds of sooty carbon engulfing the dying star," the European Space Agency said in a statement on Thursday. "They were created from the outer layers of CW Leonis being thrown out into the inky black void." Hubble is a joint project of NASA and ESA.

CW Leonis is located about 400 light-years from Earth, making it our closest carbon star. Hubble has witnessed changes in the material around the star as seen in an animated view of telescope observations between 2001 and 2016.
heic2112a_kindlephoto-45556726.jpg
heic2112a_kindlephoto-45556726.jpg (43.43 KiB) Viewed 1859 times
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Very cool!
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

Tiredretiredlawyer

COOOOL!

Return to “Astronomy”