Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Boeing

Phoenix520
Verified:

Boeing

Post by Phoenix520 »

A Boeing jet has scattered debris over a residential area near Denver after one of its engines failed on take-off.

The Boeing 777, with 231 passengers and 10 crew on board, was able to return safely and land at Denver airport. No injuries were reported.

Police in the town of Broomfield posted pictures of what appears to be the front of an engine casing in the front garden of a home.

Passengers on board described a "large explosion" shortly after take-off.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co ... a-56141673
How
Did
An inspection fail to find the signs of impending catastrophic engine failure?
Frater, I’d love your take on this.

Why
Are
Boeing planes still in the air?
tek

Re: Boeing

Post by tek »

This is apparently the only P&W engine that uses hollow fan blades, and they've been tagged in the past about inspection procedures.
In February 2018, another United Airlines 777-200 outfitted with Pratt and Whitney PW4077 engines, the same type involved in Saturday’s incident outside of Denver, suffered engine failure over the Pacific near Hawaii, after a fan blade fractured, according to an NTSB report released in June. The incident prompted Pratt & Whitney to step up its fan-blade inspection processes.
P&W developed the TAI inspection process in about 2005 to be able to inspect the interior surfaces of
the hollow core PW4000 fan blade. P&W in keeping with NDI industry practice when implementing a
new inspection process classified the TAI as a new and emerging technology and therefore did not have
to develop a formal program for initial and recurrent training, certify the TAI inspectors, or have a Level
3 inspector on staff, as is done in other established NDI techniques. But in 2015, and still in 2018 when
the incident occurred, P&W was still categorizing the TAI as a new and emerging technology after
having inspected over 9,000 fan blades. At one point, P&W did provide training on the TAI, however,
neither of the two inspectors were permitted to attend the training so that they could work to clear out a
backlog of blades in the shop.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Kate520 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:19 pm snipity
How
Did
An inspection fail to find the signs of impending catastrophic engine failure?
Frater, I’d love your take on this.

Why
Are
Boeing planes still in the air?
So far it's looking like uncontained turbine failure, right now the FAA is going over the engine's maintenance records to find out were things went south. I haven't been able to find out much since they're still in the early stages. Aviation Mech industry is a small community, so it's real easy for people to get overworked and miss something, even with the many layers of QC, but there is also the possibility of someone not doing the work properly and "pencil whipping" the card. United Airlines is notorious for their shoddy maintenance practices, I know personally, having worked on them for 5 years before I returned to school.

Boeing doesn't have much to do with the engines on their aircraft, customers get a selection of which powerplants can be installed and they make the choice. The powerplants would come from either GE, Pratt & Whitney [in our case here a PW 4000], CFM, & Rolls Royce
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

The video of that engine on fire is crazy. -- like something you might see in a Hollywood disaster movie. :shock:
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

50 years of flying and I’ve never seen this happen before.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/former-b ... cted-fraud
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Thursday, October 14, 2021
Former Boeing 737 MAX Chief Technical Pilot Indicted for Fraud

A federal grand jury in the Northern District of Texas returned an indictment today charging a former Chief Technical Pilot for The Boeing Company (Boeing) with deceiving the Federal Aviation Administration’s Aircraft Evaluation Group (FAA AEG) in connection with the FAA AEG’s evaluation of Boeing’s 737 MAX airplane, and scheming to defraud Boeing’s U.S.‑based airline customers to obtain tens of millions of dollars for Boeing.

According to court documents, Mark A. Forkner, 49, formerly of Washington State and currently of Keller, Texas, allegedly deceived the FAA AEG during the agency’s evaluation and certification of Boeing’s 737 MAX airplane. As alleged in the indictment, Forkner provided the agency with materially false, inaccurate, and incomplete information about a new part of the flight controls for the Boeing 737 MAX called the Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System (MCAS). Because of his alleged deception, a key document published by the FAA AEG lacked any reference to MCAS. In turn, airplane manuals and pilot-training materials for U.S.-based airlines lacked any reference to MCAS — and Boeing’s U.S.-based airline customers were deprived of important information when making and finalizing their decisions to pay Boeing tens of millions of dollars for 737 MAX airplanes.
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Was this a cause of the crashes?
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:35 pm Was this a cause of the crashes?
The cause was substandard programming and inadequate testing (profits over people in its purest form). The pilot materially helped to cover those two deficiencies up so the plane could be certified.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

John Thomas8 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:45 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:35 pm Was this a cause of the crashes?
The cause was substandard programming and inadequate testing (profits over people in its purest form). The pilot materially helped to cover those two deficiencies up so the plane could be certified.
So... manslaughter?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
tek

Post by tek »

John Thomas8 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:45 pm
More importantly, what I've read is that the driving goal was to avoid having to retrain pilots - at least one airline had a clause that would cost Boeing a million per plane.

Ah, here we go:
Being open about the new system, said Hamilton, would have required additional training for pilots using it — a massive expense for Boeing. He noted that Southwest Airlines wanted $1 million per airplane to cover training costs. Lion Air — one of the two airlines that suffered deadly Max crashes — even asked Boeing for training.

Instead, Boeing attempted to cover up its existence … which had deadly results.
https://mynorthwest.com/2438590/boeing- ... raud-fine/
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Boeing

Post by RTH10260 »

Trump's Air Force One deal has cost Boeing another $766 million — taking the company's total loss to nearly $2 billion since construction began

Stephen Jones
Fri, October 28, 2022 at 10:53 AM·
  • Boeing lost $766 million in Q3 on the project to build Air Force One aircraft.
    It increases Boeing's total losses on the two jets to $1.9 billion since the build began.
    Boeing bears the cost of any delays under a deal struck with the Trump Administration.
Boeing lost $766 million during the third quarter of this year on the project to build two planes that will serve as the next Air Force One, the company said in its latest earnings report.

The figure takes the company's losses for the project to $1.9 billion since it began.

"Supply chain, inflation, labor shortages, macroeconomic challenges are challenging for everybody," Dave Calhoun, the CEO of Boeing, said during the call to discuss the company's earnings.

Boeing is liable for the cost of any overruns in the project under a deal struck with the White House to produce the two VC-25s in 2018. Then-President Donald Trump played a personal role in the negotiations to agree on the fixed-price deal.

Calhoun said in a quarterly earnings call in April this year that the "unique" agreement exposed the company to "a very unique set of risks that Boeing probably shouldn't have taken." At the time, Boeing representatives said the company had lost a total of $1.14 billion, including a further $660 million in the first quarter, on the planes, per an SEC filing.

Boeing did not immediately respond to Insider's request for further comment.

The company has stated in SEC filings that the project is worth $4.3 billion.

The Trump Administration publically stated the total cost of the project would be around $3.9 billion. However, DefenseOne estimates that the total costs could be above $5.3 billion, citing Air Force officials and Pentagon budget documents.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trumps-air-f ... 45120.html
(original Business Insider)
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Boeing

Post by RTH10260 »

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”