Art: I know it when I see it.

Phoenix520
Verified:

Re: Art: I know it when I see it.

Post by Phoenix520 »

It reminds me of a scene in of John Varley’s sci-if trilogy - either Titan, Demon or Wizard - where “musicians” control weather and make beautiful symphonies over miles of terrain like this.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:53 pm We can go togethrr, Andy! I've never seen it! :biggrin:
:thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
:knitting:
Attachments
Desktop2.jpg
Desktop2.jpg (58.59 KiB) Viewed 1346 times
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love it, MsDaisy! Lots of things to see!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer

th (27).jpeg
th (27).jpeg (29.42 KiB) Viewed 1294 times
'Legacy' mural in Philadelphia

'Legacy' mural in Philadelphia
As Black History Month winds down, we've come to the City of Brotherly Love—Philadelphia—to admire this stunning mural, 'Legacy,' painted by Josh Sarantitis and Eric Okdeh. Measuring nearly 10,000 square feet, the mural in Philadelphia's Central City District explores the work of Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglass to end slavery. Students and staff at five public schools, together with dozens of other individuals, collaborated to produce the artwork, hand-laying over 1 million small glass titles on the mural’s right side. The main figure is a girl holding a medallion surrounded by blue flames. The girl's middle-aged self rises out of these flames, a symbol of defiance and freedom.

What began in the mid-1980s as an anti-graffiti effort became a city-changing artistic movement that has been called the world's largest outdoor art gallery. Artist Jane Golden and anti-graffiti activist Tim Spencer started the Mural Arts Program (now Mural Arts Philadelphia) with the goal of channeling the talents of graffiti artists into city beautification. Graffiti taggers were given the option of either going to jail or participating in the new initiative. Easy choice! Today the program employs over 300 artists and has produced more than 4,000 paintings on the city's buildings, around 2,000 of which are still viewable today.
https://www.bing.com/search?q=Philadelp ... %3D&shtc=0
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Quote of the day
Speak softly, but carry a big can of paint.
—Banksy
tencats

Post by tencats »

A CT mechanic found hundreds of pieces of art in a dumpster. They’re worth 'millions.'
https://www.ctinsider.com/living/articl ... 066528.php

In September of 2017, as a barn in Watertown was being cleared to be sold, the contractor found large canvases with car parts painted on them. The space and its contents had been deemed "abandoned," so he called his friend Jared Whipple, a car mechanic from Waterbury, because he thought he might like them.

The next day, Whipple went to the dumpster where he said retrieved the hundreds of art pieces wrapped in plastic and covered in dirt. He later discovered the art was created by Francis Hines, a Washington, D.C.-born artist that resided in Connecticut and New York. According to an art curator, the pieces are collectively worth "millions" of dollars.

"I immediately started researching," said Whipple, who spent the next four years doing research on Hines and contacting the artist's friends and family.

Now, Whipple has collaborated with Hollis Taggart, which has galleries in Southport and New York City, to build a large exhibit of Hines' work. The exhibit will showcase and offer for sale 35 to 40 pieces of the found art from May 5 to June 11 at both Hollis Taggart Southport and New York galleries.

Art curator and historian Peter Hastings Falk estimates that Hines' "wrapped" paintings can be sold at around $22,000 and his drawings at around $4,500 — which would make the collection found by Whipple to be worth millions of dollars if sold in its entirety. Whipple did not disclose exactly how many pieces he retrieved from the trash but said there are some he will not sell.

When Whipple originally found the pieces, his first thought was to hang them in his indoor skateboard park in Waterbury called "The Warehouse" for Halloween. But after finding out about the artist behind the collection, which included paintings, sculptures and small drawings, he decided against it and started contacting people in the art world.

"I've always been a mechanic and I'm known in the skateboarding world but not in the art world. So trying to get people to even open your emails and take you seriously was a huge challenge," said Whipple.

Read it all at https://www.ctinsider.com/living/articl ... 066528.php
Read much more at https://discoveriesinamericanart.com/ar ... cis-hines/
Unwrapping the Mystery of New York’s Wrapper
Rescuing a Lifetime of Work

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Thanks for posting that. Very interesting article.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Estiveoshot_20220412_151535.jpg
Image Image Image Image
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

The glass is beautiful.

When they say Digital Art, does that mean the whole thing? SO, there is no stained glass piece IRL that looks like that? The cat is digital too?
Tiredretiredlawyer

The cat looks like my twin’s rescue Neferkitti.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

I think it's real cat green screened in front of real stained glass with some sort of effect to make kitty's body looky smokey/shadowy around the edges but maintaining sharp focus on kitty's head.

Or it's magic.
Image Image Image Image
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:lovestruck:

Mesmerizing!
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

We've seen this before in FBv1, but still excellent. This couple are brilliant. In past centuries, he'd have been a watch maker.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Can you imagine seeing something like that walking down the beach? :shock: :faint:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Now that's a wicked genius. Wow.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

That copy of "Washington Crossing the Delaware" has hung in a Minnesota museum since 2015. From an article in the Twin Cities Pioneer Press -

With auction planned, ‘Washington Crossing the Delaware’ setting sail from Winona
Pending a May auction, “Washington Crossing the Delaware” is no longer on display at the Minnesota Marine Art Museum in Winona.

The painting, which is one of two existing versions created by German-American artist Emanuel Leutze, has been on loan to the museum since 2015 after it was hung in the White House for parts of four decades.

The painting was purchased in 2015 by Bob Kierlin, the founder of Fastenal, a Winona-based hardware-supply company, and his wife, Mary Burrichter.

They purchased the painting from a private collector who had, for the past 35 years, loaned it to the White House.

MMAM said that the painting was always a temporary addition to the museum, not a permanent one, though the museum seemed to suggest otherwise in 2015, according to a Minneapolis Star Tribune article at the time.

The painting will now be auctioned off by Christie’s in New York in May.
More at the link above.
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.treehugger.com/young-artist ... st-5272091
Young Artists Capture the Beauty of Endangered Species
The competition celebrated Endangered Species Day.

rusty-patched-bumblebee-4a635053c23e4b5bbab2410130359c2e.jpg
rusty-patched-bumblebee-4a635053c23e4b5bbab2410130359c2e.jpg (113.73 KiB) Viewed 912 times
Ian Danao, age 14, from Tustin, California, was the grand prize winner with his drawing of rusty patched bumblebees, above.

"I'm so glad I've been chosen as the winner,” said Ian, in a statement. “This year there are so many great works and I'm surprised I've been chosen! I created this because my art teacher suggested it to me and I chose the rusty patched bee because I believe bees are very important to the environment and nature around us."
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Talented1
Tiredretiredlawyer

The other submissions are amazing too.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://121clicks.com/art/3d-pencil-dra ... ndor-vamos
Hungarian Artist Sándor Vámos creates amazing 3D drawings that appear to come off the page. Sandor Vamos tools as simple as a sheet of paper, variety of pens and pencils and a pair of scissors, thats it. With these he creates amazing stuff. If you check his YouTube videos he can show how quickly he is drawing in a piece of white paper. Such an amazing artist with an unique style of art.

More at the link.

Return to “Arts, Music, Photography, and stuff like that”