Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Art: I know it when I see it.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Re: Art: I know it when I see it.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/frida ... uxbndlbing
Frida Kahlo's self portrait sells for nearly $35 million

"Diego y yo" depicts Kahlo and her husband and artist Diego Rivera — the last "great" self-portrait before her death in 1954, the New York-based auction house said. It was acquired for $34.9 million by Eduardo F. Constantini, an Argentina-based collector and founder of the Latin American Art Museum of Buenos Aires, Sotheby's said.

In the painting, a depiction of Rivera is cast on Frida's forehead and three tears were painted underneath her eyes. The artwork – which Sotheby's estimated would fetch more than $30 million before the auction – was dated 1949, about a year after Rivera's affair with Mexican film star Maria Felix.

"This completely destroys her," Sotheby's director of Latin American art Anna Di Stasi said. "She has such a powerful gaze. She just stares at you and she just cuts through. And those three tears rolling down her cheek are the most powerful tears I've seen in the history of art."

Frida's piece is now the most expensive artwork by a Latin American artist, surpassing Rivera, whose "The Rivals" painting sold for $9.8 million at a Christie's auction in 2018.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Poetry, prose, free verse—that's art too, right?
► Show Spoiler
Image Image Image Image
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:rotflmao:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer

Yes, it is! :rotflmao:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

John Thomas8 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:25 am

Great video.

And cool globes!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://mymodernmet.com/lorenzo-quinn-t ... rm=forever
The Force of Nature is a series of sculptures by artist Lorenzo Quinn that depict a woman pivoting the world around with a piece of cloth. The woman, presumably Mother Nature, is swept with a gust of wind, forcefully draping her attire and hair behind her. There is a vigorous sense of motion radiating from each installation that also performs a remarkable balancing act between the Earthly sphere and its navigator.

Having displayed slightly different versions of this piece all over the world, from England and the United States to Monaco and Singapore, each sculpture provides its own sense of twirling motion without the slightest bit of physical movement. The ripples in her garment and the strain of the cloth wrapped around the globe offer enough visual clues to allow one to surmise the structure's intended action. Ultimately, the illustrative piece offers a surreal presentation of the Earth's rotation through a personified force of nature.
Others at the link.
Tiredretiredlawyer

WAY Cool!
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:36 pm https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/frida ... uxbndlbing
Frida Kahlo's self portrait sells for nearly $35 million

"Diego y yo" depicts Kahlo and her husband and artist Diego Rivera — the last "great" self-portrait before her death in 1954, the New York-based auction house said. It was acquired for $34.9 million by Eduardo F. Constantini, an Argentina-based collector and founder of the Latin American Art Museum of Buenos Aires, Sotheby's said.
:snippity:
:o in search of a recipe I was looking thru my collection of cookbooks and stumbled accross a title with a name I recognized from here: Frida Kahlo
Friedas Fiestas, Recipes and Reminisences of Life with Frida Kahlo.

Author is the daughter Guadalupe Rivera, assisted by a couple of writers and photographers. Copyright 1994.

Book out of the collection of my late mother.

Review on Google Books https://books.google.com/books/about/Fr ... edir_esc=y

Can still be puchased https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/fridas ... 1138628857
Tiredretiredlawyer

COOOOOOOLLLLL!!!!!!
Tiredretiredlawyer

Did someone say "tarantulas"?

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wi ... n-82184606
Damaged O'Keeffe painting on display again after restoration
A damaged Georgia O’Keeffe painting is back on display after conservators spent 1,250 hours and $145,000 restoring the piece

The late American modernist artist painted the piece, titled “Spring,” in 1948. It was last seen by the public in 2019, the Albuquerque Journal reported.

The painting combines such O’Keeffe trademarks as desert primroses, a large vertebra and the northern New Mexico mountain peak named Pedernal. Measuring about 4 by 7 feet (1.2 by 2.1 meters), it was the largest canvas the artist had painted up to that point.

The water damage likely was caused by a tarantula tunneling through the roof at the artist’s 18th century adobe home in Abiquiú, in northern New Mexico.

O’Keeffe Museum Curator Ariel Plotek said the work feels like a statement about a new chapter in the artist's life. The painting of “Spring” coincided with O’Keeffe's return from New York — where she spent three years settling the estate of her late husband, Alfred Stieglitz — and the remodeling of her New Mexico home.

“The primrose is associated with mourning; the bones are connected to death. It’s interpreted as kind of a memorial to Alfred Stieglitz,” Plotek said.
WireAP_f8c4d581070448a6acb524a9c9241996_16x9_992.jpg
WireAP_f8c4d581070448a6acb524a9c9241996_16x9_992.jpg (66.26 KiB) Viewed 1400 times
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

A question about a plumber's work on another board prompted several answers displaying plumbing art. Some were actually quite good. This one is fairly typical of a McMenamin's mens room. I cannot speak on the womens room. Never been in there. But the mens room urinals are always 100 year old porcelain with magnificently complicated exposed plumbing.

Tiredretiredlawyer

The engineers will never get out of the bathroom! They will be too busy checking all the connections! Also, too, notice how close the urinals are. :biggrin:
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.treehugger.com/paper-cut-ar ... ga-5214461
Artist's Elaborate Paper Cut Art Emerges From Nature and Myth
This combination of pattern and folklore tells stories about nature.

nature-myth-inspired-paper-cut-art-pippa-dyrlaga-15-7a40be8da04140dd9f1a88155b825a7e_kindlephoto-5373579.jpg
nature-myth-inspired-paper-cut-art-pippa-dyrlaga-15-7a40be8da04140dd9f1a88155b825a7e_kindlephoto-5373579.jpg (86.94 KiB) Viewed 1319 times
Of course, paper can also be used to make paper art, as seen in these incredible paper-cut pieces by artist Pippa Dyrlaga. Based out of Yorkshire, England, Dyrlaga has been carefully crafting paper cuts since 2010, in addition to working as a printmaker.

Much of Dyrlaga's childhood was spent in rural Yorkshire, where her family lived in a canal boat. Those days of youth spent closely connected to nature are a huge factor driving her art, she says:

"Living in a rural place near the waterways, surrounded by the best of British wildlife, has inspired much of my work. My work subjects are fairly eclectic, but I take a lot of inspiration from nature, memories, folklore and myth, and pattern."

Other pieces will have these gorgeous, wispy touches of torn paper, which are made out of Japanese washi paper, which is a tougher paper than wood pulp-based paper. Washi paper is traditionally made out of fibers from the inner bark of the gampi tree, the mitsumata shrub (Edgeworthia chrysantha), or the paper mulberry (kōzo) bush.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Lovely work, all of it.

Also, I saw (on Facebook, FWIW) that there will be an Immersive on Frieda Kahlo.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Frida Kahlo Immersive!!!!!! :cheer2: :bunny: :banana: :dog: :superhero:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:30 am https://www.treehugger.com/paper-cut-ar ... ga-5214461
Artist's Elaborate Paper Cut Art Emerges From Nature and Myth
This combination of pattern and folklore tells stories about nature.

nature-myth-inspired-paper-cut-art-pippa-dyrlaga-15-7a40be8da04140dd9f1a88155b825a7e_kindlephoto-5373579.jpg
Delicate and beautiful. Thank you.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Russian painting vandalised by ‘bored’ gallery guard who drew eyes on it
Anna Leporskaya’s Three Figures sent for restoration after guard doodled on it with a ballpoint pen on his first day
Three Figures.jpg
Three Figures.jpg (18.55 KiB) Viewed 1198 times
A valuable avant garde painting has been vandalised by a “bored” security guard who drew eyes on faceless figures in the artwork on his first day working in a Russian gallery.

Anna Leporskaya’s Three Figures was painted between 1932 and 1934, and had been insured for 75m roubles (A$1.3m, £740,000). It was on display as part of an abstract art exhibition at the Boris Yeltsin Presidential Center in Ekaterinburg when the guard drew eyes on it using a ballpoint pen.

Alexander Drozdov, the executive director of the Yeltsin Center, did not identify the security guard in a statement, but said he worked for a private security company and had been fired.

The exhibition’s curator, Anna Reshetkina, said the painting was vandalised “with a Yeltsin Center-branded pen”.

“His motives are still unknown but the administration believes it was some kind of a lapse in sanity,” she said.
https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig ... eyes-on-it

:brickwallsmall:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I just got an email that says that Immersive Kahlo starts in Pittsburgh, March 26. I guess they will wrap the Van Gogh up and go straight into that. When we were at the Immersive Van Gogh in November, they told us another artist was coming next, but that was, apparently, not correct info.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Frida will be in Dallas this spring!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:21 pm Frida will be in Dallas this spring!
:thumbsup:
Tiredretiredlawyer

The Girl Puzzle Monument Honoring Nellie Bly
Roosevelt Island, New York City, NY
© Artist, Amanda Matthews
Nellie Bly told the stories of other women. Now, we tell hers.

Although her life and legacy include broad professional experience as a journalist, women’s rights advocate, suffragist, WWI correspondent, inventor/patent holder, industrialist, and humanitarian, a common thread for Nellie Bly is that she experienced the plight of those who are marginalized. She wrote stories that would move the needle toward equality and progress, especially for women. Highly regarded as America’s first investigative journalist, she set a precedent for what it means to be a voice for the voiceless.

Bly gave a voice and a face to women who had no visibility or prominence in society.

The Girl Puzzle honors Nellie Bly by presenting, on a monumental scale, faces of many women who have endured hardship, but are stronger for it. The monument gives visibility to Asian, Black, Young, Old, Immigrant, and Queer women. Their stories and lives are forever commemorated alongside Nellie Bly, whose face is cast in silver bronze, while the other four faces are cast in bronze. Each of them, rendered in partial sections that appear like giant puzzle pieces, show a depth of emotion and complexity of being broken and repaired. As the viewer approaches and enters, they become part of the puzzle by interacting with the reflective surfaces and seeing sections of the faces come together at different vantage points.

This installation is dually inspired by Bly's incredible response to bigotry which became her first published headline in 1885, The Girl Puzzle; and by her seminal work, Ten Days in a Madhouse, that shaped her life of dedication and empathy for others.
7-BigArtInstall-PuzzleGirl-D85_4588-3-975x650.jpg
7-BigArtInstall-PuzzleGirl-D85_4588-3-975x650.jpg (117.06 KiB) Viewed 1082 times
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.fodors.com/news/photos/larg ... tallations
These Are the World’s Most Enormous Art Installations

Field of Light
WHERE: Uluru, Australia

Field of Light Uluru spans more than three football fields in Uluru, Australia, dotting the landscape with 50,000 colorful and mesmerizing “sprouts” of light. Originally destined to be a temporary installation by artist Bruce Munro, the immersive light exhibition has been so popular that its end date has been indefinitely postponed. The fantasy garden is powered by solar energy and is one of Australia’s largest art installations to date.
4-BigArtInstall-FieldofLights-dreamstime_xxl_217423565-975x650.jpg
4-BigArtInstall-FieldofLights-dreamstime_xxl_217423565-975x650.jpg (92.36 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

To be honest, I have mixed feelings about this. I love light shows, so I would probably think this is awesome. But I was there eleven years ago, and it is such a spiritual place. The year we were there (in March), Australia had had horrible rain and flooding before we got there. The desert was an absolute carpet of color. Set against the orange sand, it was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. Our tour guide had been to Uluru dozens of times. He had never seen it like that. He was literally speechless.

That said, they light up all kinds of unexpected places. The Eiffel Tower was a surprise the first time I saw it. The Cathedral of Montreal is lit up inside every night, in such a calming blue light. Right now, Reykjavík has its Winter Lights Festival. Those all seem somehow different, though.

Hmm. Maybe I'll just have to go back to Australia to see it in person to make up my mind. :daydreaming:
Tiredretiredlawyer

We can go togethrr, Andy! I've never seen it! :biggrin:

Return to “Arts, Music, Photography, and stuff like that”