Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Today In History

keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Re: Today In History

Post by keith »

Estiveo wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:37 pm The Seattle World's Fair (aka Century 21 Exposition) and its centerpiece, the Space Needle, opened in 1962.

One of the promotional novelty songs, Meet Me in Seattle (at the Fair), was written by my Uncle Edward. (my father's much older half brother)

From a description at the U. of WA Library's digital collection:
Among the myriad souvenirs marketed at the 1962 Seattle World’s Fair were fair-related songs, sold in the form of souvenir sheet-music and as musical recordings. At least 200 fair-themed songs were composed by professional and amateur songwriters, with more than fifty of these released as vinyl discs.
"Meet Me in Seattle (At The Fair)" written by Edward Chambreau and performed by local ensemble Joy and the Boys, was one of the first fair songs made public, in a front page Seattle Daily Times article announcing "World's Fair Tune Given Official O.K." Fair officials and members of the media had given the song an enthusiastic reception when it debuted at one of the band's regular gigs in late 1961. Shortly afterward, Seafair Records released this 45 rpm single, which was an instant success both on radio and in the stores.
I still have a copy of this 45 in a stack of ancient vinyl out in the garage.
Estiveoshot_20220421_153235.jpg

Discogs: Meet Me In Seattle (at the fair) by Joy and the Boys

low: $13.52
median: $20.30
high: $27.07
(that is Australian dollars)

there are currently 3 for sale via the Discogs marketplace
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

On this day in 2011, President Obama released his long form birth certificate, which his attorney had obtained in Hawai'i.

Birthers had long claimed that if he released the long form version, they would stop claiming that the short form version (the only version anyone else can get) was a fake. Within literally hours after the release, the birthers began claiming that the long form version was also a fake.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

Foggy wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:22 pm On this day in 2011, President Obama released his long form birth certificate, which his attorney had obtained in Hawai'i.
:snippity:
I still think it was a mistake to release it. I would have told the Birthers to screw themselves.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Reality Check wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:58 pm
Foggy wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:22 pm On this day in 2011, President Obama released his long form birth certificate, which his attorney had obtained in Hawai'i.
:snippity:
I still think it was a mistake to release it. I would have told the Birthers to screw themselves.
Yeah, but didn’t it confirm they had no issues and were being racist only?
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:yeahthat: and that they were liars.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

It was far more complex than that, of course. But yes, it was an enormous mistake. Which we knew at the time, and yet our weird obsession at our little website forum was suddenly nationable headline news in this great land of ours, and we were the absolute acknowledged experts on the subject of the president's birth certificate.

But the horrible thing is, he did it in response to Donald J. Trump running around on the Tee Vee talk shows, saying there was something wrong with the short form version that Obama had already showed.

And it gave Trump the opportunity, on the very same day, to go on the Tee Vee again and brag that Obama was dancing to his tune, which was true.

On that day, Obama allowed Trump to become the Official Number One Birther of the United States of America, which helped him win the presidency, further on down the road.

And while the document itself was interesting (especially if you had the high-res version :biggrin:), the whole exercise was basically kowtowing and pandering to the 30% of Americans who doubted his citizenship. Yeah, that's correct - the dumbest, most racist 30% of Americans - who he should have ignored.

But this thread is about history, and quite often, history turns on mistakes.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

And the other thing that made it a mistake was, nobody else could get a long form Hawai'i birth certificate. The birthers kept claiming that the short form wasn't legitimate, but it was.

Example: A birther who ended up in prison, Lt. Col. Terry Lakin, had a daughter who was born in Hawai'i, and he couldn't get a long form birth certificate for his own daughter.

So in order to get a long form version, Obama sent his personal attorney to fly to Hawai'i, where they made a big deal out of getting for him what nobody else could get.

It was elitist, tbh. It showed everyone, once again, that yes, the president is above the law.

In the long run, it didn't work, and it was elitist, and it helped Trump become president.

:blackeyebig:
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Foggy wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:07 am And the other thing that made it a mistake was, nobody else could get a long form Hawai'i birth certificate. The birthers kept claiming that the short form wasn't legitimate, but it was.

Example: A birther who ended up in prison, Lt. Col. Terry Lakin, had a daughter who was born in Hawai'i, and he couldn't get a long form birth certificate for his own daughter.

So in order to get a long form version, Obama sent his personal attorney to fly to Hawai'i, where they made a big deal out of getting for him what nobody else could get.

It was elitist, tbh. It showed everyone, once again, that yes, the president is above the law.

In the long run, it didn't work, and it was elitist, and it helped Trump become president.

:blackeyebig:
Not entirely true, which is why the birthsers been lengthening their demands to "All Obama has to fo id get a certified copy of his long form BC"

A birther called Danae had bet someoen that she could get a copy of her long form, so she went to the office in hawaii and said she was applying for a program that was avalible to Ethenic Hawaiins. They gave her a non certified photocopy of her birth records based on that, along wqith the standard "short form" which was certified. So an ethenic Hawaiin could get a copy in order to qualify for that program.

Thats when "certified Copy" appeared on the Birther demand list, becasue they knew no-one could get that.
Hic sunt dracones
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

As a horse enthusiast, this is a significant day.

On April 28, 1945, Operation Cowboy took place. This was the rescue of approximately 300 Lippizaners, about 200 Thoroughbreds, 600 Cossack horses, and notably, over 100 of some of the finest Arabians ever bred. These horses had been stolen by the Nazis, and were being held on a secret breeding farm. Their caretakers knew that the Russians were advancing on a couple of small towns in Czechoslovakia after the Nazis had fled, and were worried that the Russians would kill and eat the horses. A German prisoner of war told 2nd Cavalry’s Col. Charles Reed about the horses Some caretakers were worried that the hungry and tired Soviet troops might kill these horses for food. Col. Reed contacted General George Patton, who authorized the mission, and over 1000 horses were moved to safety away from the Russians.

Many of the Arabians rescued are in the pedigrees of my own horses.

Incidentally, over 150 Allied prisoners of war were rescued along with the horses.

https://www.stripes.com/theaters/us-cav ... s-1.579343
Tiredretiredlawyer

:bighug:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Tiredretiredlawyer

th (29).jpeg
th (29).jpeg (14.34 KiB) Viewed 906 times
AAPI Heritage Month & Lei Day

May 1 means different things in different parts of the world, but here in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, it means Lei Day, a statewide celebration of Hawaiian culture and the spirit of 'aloha,' that intangible sense of warmth, belonging, and connection that emanates from this isolated chain of volcanic islands. Lei Day was first celebrated in 1927 and made an official holiday in 1929. It also happens to fall on the first day of Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, which honors Americans of Asian, Melanesian, Micronesian, and Polynesian heritage. May is the month the first Japanese immigrants arrived in the US in 1843, and the month the transcontinental railroad was completed in 1869 by, mostly, Chinese immigrants.

Lei Day is celebrated on all the Hawaiian Islands with parades, pageants, music, dancing, and food. But at the heart of the party are leis, the garlands worn around the neck that are made with leaves, shells, and seeds, but primarily with flower blossoms. Leis are considered symbols of aloha.

Hula is also an important part of celebrating Lei Day. More than the quaint entertainment many of us have come to know, hula is a complex and ancient art form of dance and chants. Without a written language, Hawaiians used hula to record their history and culture. In this photo, a hula teacher, known as a kumu hula, leads a group of dancers against the backdrop of the rising sun, on the site of an ancient altar on the island of Molokai. It's said that hula was created by the goddess Laka on this very spot...probably on a morning that looked a lot like this one.
Tiredretiredlawyer

For all of the B52's on and off of the Fogbow.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=De+Havill ... 2&vfirst=0
1952 First commercial jet takes off

After years of testing and development, British airline BOAC welcomes passengers to the jet age as the De Havilland Comet 1 takes off from London for Johannesburg, South Africa. Although the route will make five stops, and take 21 hours and 20 minutes, it's about 50 percent faster than conventional aircraft.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Oh, you meant born in 52.
101010 :towel:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

70 years ago --- Bertrand Russell in interview

My Grandfather, Who Raised Me, Met Napoleon: Bertrand Russell Interview 1952 - Restored Video/Audio

23 Apr2022

Bertrand Russell, 3rd Earl Russell (18 May 1872 – 2 February 1970) was born in Trellech, Wales. His parents died when he was three years old. He is best known for being a British philosopher, logician, and social critic.

Bertrand's grandfather, John Russell, 1st Earl Russell (18 August 1792 – 28 May 1878), served as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1846 to 1852 and again from 1865 to 1866. In December, 1814, he had a 90-minute meeting with Napoleon during the former emperor's exile at Elba. In June 1815, Russell denounced the Bourbon Restoration and Britain's declaration of war against the recently-returned Napoleon by arguing in the House of Commons that foreign powers had no right to dictate France's form of government.

Video footage has been colorized, speed-adjusted and restored with audio enhancements for clarity.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

90 years ago --- an intervew with Man Born in 1853 Talks About Childhood in the 1860s

Man Born in 1853 Talks About Childhood in the 1860s: Filmed in 1932 - Restored Video and Audio

19 Mar 2022

This is Elihu Thomson, engineer and inventor born on March 29, 1853. In this video, he talks about some childhood memories while living in Philadelphia in the 1860s. It was filmed on June 21, 1932. This video has been colorized, speed-adjusted and restored with audio enhancements for clarity.

Note: Thomson meant to say "75 years ago" rather than "65 years ago" in the beginning. His family shipped over to America in 1857.

from Wikipedia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elihu_Thomson
Elihu Thomson was born March 29, 1853, in Manchester, England. His father,
who worked as a mill mechanic, was thrown out of work in 1857 and decided to
emigrate to the United States. In 1858 the family settled in Philadelphia,
where Elihu grew up. His father's work as a mechanic stimulated Thomson's
interest in mechanical and chemical processes. From his early teens he read
widely, built models, and conducted simple chemical experiments. At
Philadelphia's Central High School Thomson was an outstanding student who
attracted the interest of his instructors. Upon graduating in 1870 he was
offered a teaching position at the school.

Between 1870 and 1880 Thomson taught high school in Philadelphia. At the same
time he and a fellow teacher named Edwin J. Houston experimented with
electricity and succeeded in building a practical electric arc lighting
system. In 1879 a group of New England businessmen took an interest in
the Thomson-Houston arc lighting system and offered to finance its fabrication.
In 1880 Thomson moved to New Britain, Connecticut, as the company's chief
engineer. By 1881 Thomson had designed the best arc lighting system in the
country, but sales were slow. In 1882 a group of Lynn, Massachusetts,
businessmen purchased the company and changed the name to the Thomson-Houston Electric Company.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Happy Birthday, Florence Nightingale!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florence_Nightingale
Florence Nightingale

Florence Nightingale OM RRC DStJ (/ˈnaɪtɪŋɡeɪl/; 12 May 1820 – 13 August 1910) was an English social reformer, statistician and the founder of modern nursing. Nightingale came to prominence while serving as a manager and trainer of nurses during the Crimean War, in which she organised care for wounded soldiers at Constantinople.[4] She gave nursing a favourable reputation and became an icon of Victorian culture, especially in the persona of "The Lady with the Lamp" making rounds of wounded soldiers at night.[5][6]

Recent commentators have asserted that Nightingale's Crimean War achievements were exaggerated by the media at the time, but critics agree on the importance of her later work in professionalising nursing roles for women.[7] In 1860, she laid the foundation of professional nursing with the establishment of her nursing school at St Thomas' Hospital in London. It was the first secular nursing school in the world, and is now part of King's College London.[8] In recognition of her pioneering work in nursing, the Nightingale Pledge taken by new nurses, and the Florence Nightingale Medal, the highest international distinction a nurse can achieve, were named in her honour, and the annual International Nurses Day is celebrated on her birthday. Her social reforms included improving healthcare for all sections of British society, advocating better hunger relief in India, helping to abolish prostitution laws that were harsh for women, and expanding the acceptable forms of female participation in the workforce.

Nightingale was a pioneer in statistics; she represented her analysis in graphical forms to ease drawing conclusions and actionables from data. She is famous for usage of the polar area diagram, also called the Nightingale rose diagram, equivalent to a modern circular histogram. This diagram is still regularly used in data visualisation.
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Bicycle_Day
World Bicycle Day

In April 2018, the United Nations General Assembly declared June 3 as International World Bicycle Day.[1] The resolution for World Bicycle Day recognizes "the uniqueness, longevity and versatility of the bicycle, which has been in use for two centuries, and that it is a simple, affordable, reliable, clean and environmentally fit sustainable means of transport."
[2]

Professor Leszek Sibilski (who is a Polish social scientist working in the United States) led a grassroots campaign with his sociology class to promote a UN Resolution for World Bicycle Day, eventually gaining the support of Turkmenistan and 56 other countries.[3][2][4] The original UN Blue and White #June3WorldBicycleDay logo was designed by Isaac Feld and the accompanying animation was done by Professor John E. Swanson. It depicts bicyclists of various types riding around the globe. At the bottom of the logo is the hashtag #June3WorldBicycleDay. The main message is to show that the bicycle belongs to and serves all of humanity.[5]
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Wu-Tang Is For The Children @WUTangKids wrote: Bob Marley and the Wailers released “Exodus” 45 years ago today…it was named Exodus when Bob left Jamaica for London after a failed assassination attempt…the album featured classics like "Exodus" "Waiting in Vain" "Three Little Birds" and "Jamming"👇
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Tiredretiredlawyer

First Pulitzer Prize awarded.

https://www.pulitzer.org/prize-winners-by-year/1917
1917 Pulitzer Prizes

JOURNALISM
CATEGORYWINNERS
Reporting
Herbert Bayard Swope of New York World
For articles which appeared October 10, October 15 and from November 4 daily to November 22, 1916, inclusive, entitled, "Inside the German Empire."

Editorial Writing
New York Tribune
For an editorial article on the first anniversary of the sinking of the Lusitania. (No author named.)

BOOKS, DRAMA & MUSIC
CATEGORYWINNERS
History
With Americans of Past and Present Days, by His Excellency J.J. Jusserand
Biography
Julia Ward Howe, 1819-1910, by Laura E. Richards and Maud Howe Elliott assisted by Florence Howe Hall (Houghton)
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
🎶One of these things is not like the other🎶
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

My stepfather who lied about his age to enlist in the army for WW II because he had previously served in the Navy during the 1920s landed on Omaha Beach as a tank commander.

To the end of his life he stayed furious with the US Army brass about their mishandling of the attack.
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-his ... reme-court
Thurgood Marshall appointed to Supreme Court

President Lyndon B. Johnson appoints U.S. Court of Appeals Judge Thurgood Marshall to fill the seat of retiring Supreme Court Associate Justice Tom C. Clark. On August 30, after a heated debate, the Senate confirmed Marshall’s nomination by a vote of 69 to 11. Two days later, he was sworn in by Chief Justice Earl Warren, making him the first African American in history to sit on America’s highest court.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Tiredretiredlawyer

https://smarthistory.org/eadweard-muybr ... in-motion/

First motion picture.
Eadweard Muybridge, The Horse in Motion

Until the 1870s, the prevailing convention in the visual arts for representing horses in mid-stride was the “flying gallop.” This graceful pose—in which the horse has all limbs straightened and extended to the end of their reach—was popularized in mass visual culture and in paintings such as Théodore Géricault’s Derby at Epsom.

Horse aficionados, including former California Governor/railroad company president/racehorse breeder Leland Stanford, speculated that there were indeed moments in a horse’s stride in which all hooves were off the ground and the animal enjoyed “unsupported transit.” [1] But he had no means to prove his theory, because the speed of a horse’s movement surpassed the sensitivity of his unaided eyesight, and photography’s shutter speeds just over three decades after the medium’s invention were not yet quick enough to capture such short slices of time.

In 1872, Stanford thought of photographer Eadweard Muybridge, who previously photographed Stanford’s opulent Sacramento home. Muybridge had been roaming the western United States in his one-horse carriage (equipped with a darkroom) to make photographs of majestic scenes such as the Yosemite Valley for his commercial studio Helios. He agreed in 1872 to work for Stanford at his Palo Alto Stock Farm to improve photographic shutter speeds and ultimately help determine whether all four feet of a horse are off the ground at any point in mid-gallop.

The irascible Muybridge (born Edward James Muggeridge) had to temporarily disband his motion-study work after shooting and killing Harry Larkyns, his wife’s lover, in 1874. Muybridge was jailed and tried for murder the following year, but was acquitted on the grounds of “justifiable homicide.” [2] Muybridge blamed a severe head injury suffered in a stagecoach accident in 1860 for his erratic actions.
mubridge-scaled-2-1536x958.jpg
mubridge-scaled-2-1536x958.jpg (203.59 KiB) Viewed 1095 times

Return to “General Stuff”